Sean Smith seeking 8-10 million

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Re: Sean Smith seeking 8-10 million

In response to mia76's comment:

And it isn't as if his 'problems' are in the past - he was suspended for 4 games this season! So the issues are current.

No question when he was on the field the Pats had a more aggressive and effective defense and I would love to see him back at a team friendly number. But if he is looking for long term and or big money I would rather see them persue one of the other CBs in FA.

Ar what level do you consider the deal to be team friendly, when CB  getting 7 + millions a year in the last couple of years, and this year's crop asking 8 to 10 millions a year? The numbers are getting ridiculous and very pricey.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

And it isn't as if his 'problems' are in the past - he was suspended for 4 games this season! So the issues are current.

No question when he was on the field the Pats had a more aggressive and effective defense and I would love to see him back at a team friendly number. But if he is looking for long term and or big money I would rather see them persue one of the other CBs in FA.

Ar what level do you consider the deal to be team friendly, when CB  getting 7 + millions a year in the last couple of years, and this year's crop asking 8 to 10 millions a year? The numbers are getting ridiculous and very pricey.

Again, their agents are throwing those numbers around, but I don't think most of the FAs out there this year will get 8M/yr. I don't have a problem with a 4 yr/32M contract with 12-14M guaranted in the first two years and most of the rest back loaded and not guaranteed. For Talib specifically - no way I want to guaranteed him more than 6M without lots of strings attached based on performance. He is one screw-up from spending a season or most of one suspended. And after being injured twice for the Pats, his health is not a given either.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Again, their agents are throwing those numbers around, but I don't think most of the FAs out there this year will get 8M/yr. I don't have a problem with a 4 yr/32M contract with 12-14M guaranted in the first two years and most of the rest back loaded and not guaranteed. For Talib specifically - no way I want to guaranteed him more than 6M without lots of strings attached based on performance. He is one screw-up from spending a season or most of one suspended. And after being injured twice for the Pats, his health is not a given either.

How much can the Pats possibly front load given the current cap situation?

After 2014, Brady is technically off the books. Even if he resigns, it probably won't be for 20 million, so that will free up a ton of space. 2015 and beyond are probably the years the Pats want the biggest caps to occur.

Agents aren't dumb and know if most of the money isn't guaranteed at the end of the deal, the player is likely going to get dumped by then. You'd have to front load a ton of money the first two years if you're not going to guarantee that last two.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

After 2014, Brady is technically off the books. Even if he resigns, it probably won't be for 20 million, so that will free up a ton of space. 2015 and beyond are probably the years the Pats want the biggest caps to occur.

Agents aren't dumb and know if most of the money isn't guaranteed at the end of the deal, the player is likely going to get dumped by then. You'd have to front load a ton of money the first two years if you're not going to guarantee that last two.

The guaranteed money is the main thing on any contract (and the years of course.) But it is easy enough to manage - 8M signing bonus, 3M,4M,6M,8M salaries with the first two years guaranteed is  15 guaranteed and 29M - throw in workout,roster, and perfomrance bonuses and you are at 32M, 5M cap number year one, 6M second year, 15M guaranteed over the first two years. Dead money if cut after year two is 4M. And the player has 11M in his pocket after one year, so he is pretty happy up front.

But with a player with a bad rep, no way you put out that much in bonus, so you build more into insentives in the contract.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

I have to wonder what the market really will be for Talib.  Did he do a good job for the Pats? He did and in so doing made a very inconsistent secondary more effective.  But does the less than 1/2 season with the Pats wherein he had no behavioral issues and played well overcome a checkered past?  We'll see.

Don't get me wrong; I'd like to see Talib back in a Pats uniform but is he really going to demand that kind of money?

Exactly...so if Talib is a lock down corner with no on or off field issues then folks he would still be in TB.

Talib stays only if he signs a performance based contract chock full of personal conduct and work out bonus clauses.

Maybe he is....but he don't strike me as someone likely to agree to this....

i like yoru middle sentence/ idea.

he is not a lock down corner there are only a couple in league; nut he is a #1 corner.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

The guaranteed money is the main thing on any contract (and the years of course.) But it is easy enough to manage - 8M signing bonus, 3M,4M,6M,8M salaries with the first two years guaranteed is  15 guaranteed and 29M - throw in workout,roster, and perfomrance bonuses and you are at 32M, 5M cap number year one, 6M second year, 15M guaranteed over the first two years. Dead money if cut after year two is 4M. And the player has 11M in his pocket after one year, so he is pretty happy up front.

But with a player with a bad rep, no way you put out that much in bonus, so you build more into insentives in the contract.

and yes 

"The guaranteed money is the main thing on any contract"

what ive been saying

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

ped issue was current, the issues others were refereign to adn i was replying to ha stopped.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Chiefs no longer interested in Sean Smith Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2013, 9:40 AM EST

SeanSmithGetty Images

With the league’s heavy-handed, contradictory memo scaring teams silent overnight, there’s still no barrier on making it known that a team isn’t interested in a given player.

The Chiefs, after signing cornerback Dunta Robinson, no longer have interest in Dolphins cornerback Sean Smith, per a league source.

Robinson is believed to be getting starter money from the Chiefs.  With Brandon Flower doing the same, paying Smith top-of-market money no longer makes sense.

Kansas City’s interest in Smith was one of the few nuggets of information that emerged after the legal non-tampering tampering period opened at midnight.

If, of course, Smith overplays his hand and doesn’t do a deal before the market softens, the Chiefs potentially could become interested again — at a lower rate.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

He's not even a top 10 CB. He's dreaming

Don't sell him short, KP, he's becoming a pretty good corner. If Jason McCourty gets that much, why not?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Is that the same agent that was asking 8-10M per year for Hartline? Agents throw a lot of number out there and then sign for what they can get. With the number of decent to good CBs out there, I and the flat cap I don't see any CB getting 10M this year and only maybe one getting 8M.

Or ... Sure, I'll sign this 5/50M contract - year one and two 4M each, year three 12M, year 4 and 5 15M each - first two years fully guarnteed and see yah!

Sort of like Nnamdi - his last years sure look good at 15,12,12 for a total of 39M but he is never going to see them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Jeff Howe       Jeff Howe @jeffphowe

The Patriots have shown interest in cornerback Sean Smith, but I've been told "no one is a favorite yet."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

In response to Rocky's comment:

Jeff Howe       Jeff Howe â€@jeffphowe

The Patriots have shown interest in cornerback Sean Smith, but I've been told "no one is a favorite yet."

Like the sound of that report.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Hey if you ask for it some dumb GM just might pay it so why not ask for the moon

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

Hey if you ask for it some dumb GM just might pay it so why not ask for the moon

Doubt he'll get that much, but I wouldn't mind the Pats paying market value.

Sections
Shortcuts