Season a success if Pats lose next week?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

Season a success if Pats lose next week?

For me, the answer is ABSOLUTELY.

I may be in the minority here, but I feel like our team has already overachieved to my satisfaction. I know we've been spoiled by following a team with Super Bowl expectations every year, but it's not something that I expect.

Believe me, living in Colts country, I hear a lot of BS about how the Patriots haven't been able to get over the top since the last Super Bowl victory. Like I'm really embarrassed of a team that wins ten to sixteen games every year, gets into the playoffs, and wins an average of 1.5 of those games.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inokea4coolaid. Show Inokea4coolaid's posts

Re: Season a success if Pats lose next week?

Depends on what your standards are.  If every team's goal is to win the superbowl for any given season, 31 teams ultimately fail.  One team succeeds.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

This season is an immense success already.

This is about what people expected from this team....IF HEALTHY. To be here after everything they've gone through is amazing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

All those rookies getting playing time in big games, a promising get-after-it defense, and as many returning guys from IR as they care to keep?  Yeah, it's been a successful year, and I expect next year to be even better than this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inokea4coolaid. Show Inokea4coolaid's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is about what people expected from this team....IF HEALTHY. To be here after everything they've gone through is amazing.

[/QUOTE]

can you imagine what happens next year when some injured players come back AND we add depth via draft and free agency?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

I learned long ago to enjoy it while it ast. The BB + TB era is truely special, in fact they are close to being the greatest NFL Footbal team in NFL history.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

One of the most enjoyable years in the BB/TB era. Just from an entertainment perspective it was a absolute blast being at the home games this year. If... and it is a big if... they go on to win the SB it will rival the 2001 season... although the 2001 season can never be topped.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to IndianaPatsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For me, the answer is ABSOLUTELY.

I may be in the minority here, but I feel like our team has already overachieved to my satisfaction. I know we've been spoiled by following a team with Super Bowl expectations every year, but it's not something that I expect.

Believe me, living in Colts country, I hear a lot of BS about how the Patriots haven't been able to get over the top since the last Super Bowl victory. Like I'm really embarrassed of a team that wins ten to sixteen games every year, gets into the playoffs, and wins an average of 1.5 of those games.

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]
    Getting worried?????? Would have been good year even losing to COLTS  Pats fans are nervous.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Not even close to sucesssful...Loss next week, just means Pats are Marinos Dolphins, and jugheads colts...get to playoffs and fall on your face....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I will be extremely disappointed as I'm still reeling from the 2 SB losses to the Giants...still see Welker dropping the ball he'd caught 95% of the time. The only reason I'm not 100% confident is that we don't have Gronk but our relatively recent effective running game with both Blount & Ridley(so happy to see him perform w/o fumbling) has enabled Brady to have less sack pressure on him & has opened up the field. But even w/o Gronk, I'll not be happy w/o a SB win.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not even close to sucesssful...Loss next week, just means Pats are Marinos Dolphins, and jugheads colts...get to playoffs and fall on your face....

[/QUOTE]

Even though, in my opinion, this year's team is not as strong as last year's- with the loss of Hernandez, Gronk, Wilfork, Mayo, Vollmer, etc. and the addition of a young receiving corps?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

This season won't "end" next week.  Pats can and will beat either the Chargers or Broncos.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

It's been a very exciting and entertaining season.

Pretty much an all new receiving corps with three rookies and a new free agent (Amedola) all of which could not stay healthy except for JE.   Hernandez gone.  Gronk played how many games before going down for good?  Vereen lost for eleven games.

Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo, Vollmer all IR'ed.

Talib, Gregory, Dennard all out for various amounts of time.

A 260 lb. running back returning kicks.

Rookies all over the place.

I'd say the way things have gone injury-wise this season has been a great success so far.  

Would I be disappointed if they lose next week?  Sure. But, if that happens I will look back at this season as one of the most satisfying for me considering what this team has had to overcome.

I think the 2007 season for me is the still the most disappointing not being able to complete the undefeated season by losing in the SB.  Undefeated regular season or not.  That season was a fail by not sealing the deal.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Considering the injuries to major players and the garbage that has lined up at wideout all season long, this has been a tremendously successful season for Tom Brady and Belichick the coach.

They'll need a Superbowl victory to say the same for the GM.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's been a very exciting and entertaining season.

Pretty much an all new receiving corps with three rookies and a new free agent (Amedola) all of which could not stay healthy except for JE.   Hernandez gone.  Gronk played how many games before going down for good?  Vereen lost for eleven games.

Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo, Vollmer all IR'ed.

Talib, Gregory, Dennard all out for various amounts of time.

A 260 lb. running back returning kicks.

Rookies all over the place.

I'd say the way things have gone injury-wise this season has been a great success so far.  

Would I be disappointed if they lose next week?  Sure. But, if that happens I will look back at this season as one of the most satisfying for me considering what this team has had to overcome.

I think the 2007 season for me is the still the most disappointing not being able to complete the undefeated season by losing in the SB.  Undefeated regular season or not.  That season was a fail by not sealing the deal.

[/QUOTE]

Excellent post. Exactly how I feel. 2007 was the only year where I felt our team genuinely disappointed me by not closing the deal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Regardless of how the season ends, one wonders, will the Pats, with all those returning starters next season, Gronk, draft choices etc.. will they be the odds on favorite to win the SB next season?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1, the injures alone make it successful. Without the injures the AFCCG was almost expected but with all the injures not sure how ths wouldn't be considered successful. Things seemed to fall right into place for the Pats. Lets see if their luck continues and SD knocks of Den for another home game. Of course having the SB in NY in the weather would be another winfall if they get that far. Imagine without the injures this path to the SB and another win would be as much a certain as anything can be in sports

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Absolutely. I take into account injuries, matchups, divisional strength, etc. 

If the Pats had lost to the Colts I would have not considered the season a success but at this point, definitely a success - though if they end up hosting San Diego, that's different, I would NOT consider it a success to lose to San Diego at home. 

Overall this team has shown great heart and fire. Yes I badly want them to win another Super Bowl but I'm cutting slack due to crazy AH situation, Gronk, defensive injuries etc. Might feel different next year. 

" If every team's goal is to win the superbowl for any given season, 31 teams ultimately fail.  One team succeeds."

That's a fair goal inside the locker room but outside it is myopic and creates a false equivalency between mediocre teams, disappointing teams and good ones. 

Example: how did Pittsburgh allow their fate to be decided by the Jets? That's a truly failed season. 

But - three AFC championship games in a row is NOT  failure. 

Yes, champsionships count more than anything else. But while some would say the Bills four straight Super Bowl runs were a failure, and on some level they were, it was enough to get some guys in the Hall of Fame, and deservedly so. Sustained excellence is also an achievement, outside of championships. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Yes. And the future is bright for next season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

We going to the ship

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

If the Pats can win a couple more superbowls in Brady's time, it has much more impact on how history will view this time period than anything else.  I think more credit will be given to Bill and Tom winning a superbowl with this team than all the black marks on them in the past.  So many injuries across the board.  So many young players, so much talent from historically good teams lost.  So many tests to the Patriots way.

People couldn't cry spygate anymore, talk about Brady's early success and late failures or have much of a leg to stand on with anything to the contrary.  I think both men are very proud figures who are more than well aware of their place in history.  The only times that I ever see Bill get emotional even a tiny bit is when people like Bill Cowher did in his recent interview with Bill told him that he was the best coach of all time.

I think that if the Pats lose next week, it is a huge failure by epic proportions.  This is a city that had to deal with the Marathon bombings and the after effects that will be felt for the rest of people's lives.  I think the bad taste is still in all our mouthes about the last two superbowls that we could have won but didn't.  We had a ***ing probowl caliber serial killer on our team for **** sake.  Too much negative... time for Karma to swing back our way.

I think this team was counted out like the Red Sox and I feel that if they don't finish it off this year that there will be many bitter fans.  This year has as much impact on the legacy of this team than any other IMO... if they win they exercise the deamons and start phase 2 of the Patriots dynasty.  They start it off like they did in 2001, with the underdog team that nobody saw making it this far.  They go on from there to improve and win 2 of the next 3 IMO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

Seeing how in three weeks they have transformed themselves into a dominant running team in order to win has capped off an unforgettable year. No other NFL team comes remotely close to being able to transform itself on demand from one type of team into another depending upon what will win a given game, and its the biggest reason I love to watch this team.

If they lose next week it will be disappointing, as I think they can win the AFC, but the season will still be successful - I mean who else could have overcome the amount of adversity that the Pats have had this year? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Now even more I see it as success .  No bonified WR and they were hurt a lot at that position, add in the defensive injuries and Gronk's .  I see nothing but a succesful season.   

They could have easily been at home this upcoming weekend, let bygones  be bygones .

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

From an overall perspective....no. if you ask bb, winning the SB is the goal. Anything short of that is not success. 

from a personnel perspective, yes. We have a very young team that has had the opportunity to play in the afccg. We got a good look at the,rooks, our 2nd year kids and the future looks bright. Hightower, jones, Collins, Ryan have taken a step forward. Our defense looks poised to be good for years. The offense has developed an identity built on smash mouth football. Will that continue into next year? The biggest questions for me are on offense. But this year both our young players on o and d got very valuable experience.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Let's try this another way, go back to February 1st of 2013. Ok, now that we're all there close your eyes and picture that we won't have Welker, Woodhead, Hernandez, Lloyd and Gronk will be (or equal to) on the PUP list to start the season.

Now picture that we won't have Wilfork after week 4, Mayo and Kelly after week 5, Gronk will come back to only play four games, Dennard plays less than half the season, Talib misses 2-3 games and we won't have Spikes for the last week and the playoffs.

Dobson Boyce and Thompkins, our new rookie wide recieving corp will alternate injuries to combine to play 16 games, Vareen misses half the season  and Ridley will get benched for a total of 3 games for fumbilitis.

Now, after all that if I were to tell you they'd make it to the AFCCG would you be satisfied or would you say they should win it despite all these set-backs?

To me, I'm disapointed anytime the Pats lose but if they do drop this game in Denver next week it's not going to hurt like the SB's did. I know they did everything possible to piece a season together and I'd be very proud of that accomplishment. To say they should win tells me you haven't left 2007 yet.

GO PATS!