Season is over - grade the draft...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

Re: Season is over - grade the draft...

Wright has been with the team for a while now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I hate to grade it right now because there is Volmer and everyone else. I'll give this draft class another year. Belichick always says the biggest year for improvement is going into your second year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

None of the rookies made the Pro bowl so I'm sure we'll here about how bad this draft was.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

haha Wright is a 5 year vet... where have you been?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What about letting them atleast finish the SB run, say Butler steps up and has a few INTs in the playoffs won't that raise the grade or Vol starts at RT and is lightsout not sacks allowed. 

We are always in a rush to grade these guys, as a class this is a very good group not to mention we have two on IR.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from vapatfan1. Show vapatfan1's posts

Wright gaff notwithstanding, I agree that the draft grade will have to be an incomplete at this point. 

There's a lot to be optimistic about.  Looks like we found a solid OT and we FINALLY have a bevy of DBs who can learn and grow into solid NFL backs. 

We have some D-lineman that have exceeded expections and a QB BB managed to turn into an intriguing WR. 

Don't forget that we only got a sniff of Brandon Tate this year and there's the rookie LB named Tyron McKenzie that we have yet to see in action--pretty much a two-year rookie. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

My fault my fault- I meant O'Sullivan not Wright

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

sure you did

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Tough crowd LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

2/34 -- Patrick Chung, SS, 5-11, 212, Oregon........GRADE      V

2/40 -- Ron Brace, DL, 6-3, 330, Boston College..............GRADE   V+

2/41 -- Darius Butler, CB, 5-10, 183, Connecticut.............GRADE  V

2/58 -- Sebastian Vollmer, OT, 6-7, 312, Houston.............GRADE  V++++++++++

3/83 -- Brandon Tate, WR, 6-0, 183, North Carolina............GRADE   INC.

3/97 -- Tyrone McKenzie, OLB, 6-0, 243, South Florida.........GRADE  INC.

4/123 -- Rich Ohrnberger, G, 6-2, 297,   Penn State........  GRADE    INC.

5/170 -- George Bussey, OT, 6-2, 306, Louisville.........GRADE   INC.

6/198 -- Jake Ingram, LS, 6-3, 232, Hawaii........GRADE    V+++

6/207 -- Myron Pryor, DT, 6-0, 319, Kentucky.......GRADE    V++ 

7/232 -- Julian Edelman, WR, 6-0, 198, Kent State.......GRADE     V++++

7/234 -- Darryl Richard, DT, 6-4, 290, Georgia Tech.....GRADE  INC

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

It's too early to give a final grade, but I'll go with interim grades:

Jackpot: 

Vollmer.  This guy would easily be drafted in the first half of round 1 if it were held again.  

Decent:

Myron Pryor.  Nice catch in the later rounds.
    Julian Edelman. A gamble that looks like it will pay off.
    Jake Ingram.  Doesn't get talked about much, and that's a good thing.

Shows Promise:

Butler.
    Chung.

Expected More:

Brace.

Who Knows: The rest of them.

Overall, one of our better drafts.  I credit Floyd Reese.  He's drafted 3 Rookie of the Years with the Titans.  We do not want this guy to be pilfered from us yet.  We need at least two more drafts like this to make up for the 3-year lull we had.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Everybody seems to forget about Orhnberger. I mean we haven't seen much of him yet, but Bill has him as the first gurad off the bench. Hopefully he has it because Neal is oft injured and getting old and Mankins contract runs out at the end of the year. Also, not positive on this but I think he is 2nd behind Koppen having jumped Dan Connoly as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Next year will be a good time to start to finally grade these guys and maybe into there third year.

Grading their rookie campaigns though

Chung-C He did a good job in the time he was in but it seems that Bill thought putting him back on the bench would be smart and letting him digest the playbook and putting back in Sanders would be for the best and so far it has. 

Brace-No idea whats going on with this dude but I am thinking its fundamentals especially since what he said after the game against the Bills. He gets an incomplete. 

Butler-C Man oh man he has had his ups and downs this year...  I was going to give him a C- but I remembered how well he played Mason in the Ravens game and then how he got a horrible call in the Colts game for that PI that really was a phantom call. Going to be a shutdown corner in this league for years.

Pryor-B Has done everything asked of him. Playing end, or even at the point (nose) done it all this year and has jumped right in. Gotta give him kudos.

Edelman-Boy oh boy who thought the converted QB out of Kent State could actually do some damage eh? Solid pick up in the 7th and great project that will pan out. B

Looks promising right now but hey the 06 class promising as well but were holding onto the fact that Laura might still turn into a man one day and Space Ghost is the only legit one left.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

None of the rookies went undefeated this year so how can you say they are anything but busts. That 2007 class was much better, they didn't lose a game. No probowlers and some loses, worst rookie class ever. They should fire that Belechik guy and hire that guy they had in 2007! He knew rookies.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

2/34 -- Patrick Chung, B, he’s playing.  His position takes time to learn.

2/40 -- Ron Brace C+, so far he fills a gap sort of.  BB defends his play.

2/41 -- Darius Butler B, he’s playing

2/58 -- Sebastian Vollmer A+, production now and high value.  Larceny.

3/83 -- Brandon Tate  D  BB gambled on a knee injury.  In the end the Pats got a knee injury.  At this point Tate might well stay injured forever.  20% chance I am wrong and Tate will bloom in 12 months, 80% chance that’s one third rounder we won’t see on the field.

3/97 -- Tyrone McKenzie  Incomplete.  Not BB’s fault he got hurt.  Next year.

4/123 -- Rich Ohrnberger.B, as a fourth rounder he stuck with the team.  That’s something.

5/170 -- George Bussey.B simply because as a fifth rounder he didn’t take up a roster spot this year, and he got an extra year to get better.  Getting anything for a fifth is worth a B.

6/198 -- Jake Ingram A+ for a sixth.

6/207 -- Myron Pryor A+ for a sixth.

7/232 -- Julian Edelman A+ for a seventh. 

7/234 -- Darryl Richard B.  He’s not a waste of a seventh.  He’s on the practice squad, but curiously he just got his salary doubled two weeks ago.  On most teams a seventh rounder has a 10% chance of making a team.

Other factors:  Sheer awesome display of trading prowess to get seven second rounders in two years.  A+ with extra credit tacked on, and a bag of chips too.  If your team isn’t the Pats, BB’s trades should have made you sick to your stomach.  There’s just no parity in the NFL today.

Only one of 12 is now a draft choice in the garbage can that might have been an “I told you so”.  Guys have gotten injured but much of that was unpredictable.  Awesome judge’s scores in the dumpster diving event this year. 

Final:  A.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

The season is not over!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

pats...tx good point and hope is not over for another 5 or 6 weeks.  There's still a lot of football to play.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from vapatfan1. Show vapatfan1's posts

Russ, you have a good point.  I live in Redskins country and I thank the almighty that I'm a Patriots fan.  The Skins fans are not too impressed with Dan Synder and this perenial losing bunch. 

If Bob Kraft and BB had made some of the moves this bunch in DC made (not the current group of knucklehead politicians, that's another blog) Mass fans would have re-established the Salem witch hunts by now...

Be grateful that the Patriots are the envy of the NFL world. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Lets hope the 2010 and 2011 drafts are as good.  With the extra high picks, that can start a new dynasty for us and we can be the team of the next decade too :).  Ok, that was a little homerish, but love our team!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bn34. Show bn34's posts

I've read several times on this board (particularly when someone criticizes a Pats rookie) that you can't judge a draft for 3 years.  I completely agree so I will reserve judgement.  I will say Vollmer looks like a great pick, Edelman contributed greatly for a 7th rounder (although I question his long-term durability due to his size), Butler and Chung show potential.  It will be interesting to see how they improve in year 2.  The injured guys may be able to contribute in future or they may be latest Shawn Crable.  Who knows?  

I must say some grades are confusing.  A guy makes roster so he gets a B?  Then a guy doesn't make roster and he gets a B?

If you want to be objective, you have to consider the players the Pats passed on as well as those they selected.  When they traded down, they passed on Oher, Vontae Davis, Matthews, Donald Brown, Nicks, Britt, and Wells before taking Chung.  They also picked Butler and Chung over Byrd (who made Pro Bowl).  I also think people on this board would be crucifying the Brace pick if he was on an AFC rival.    

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

To be really objective you also have to consider the type of offense and defense used by the teams those other rookies went to, the talent level at each of the rookies positions on those teams as well as the talent level of the team in general.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

"I also think people on this board would be crucifying the Brace pick if he was on an AFC rival."

Second rounders are only expected to be good, not great, their first year at certain positions.  Linemen and QBs usually have the longest apprenticeships.  High first rounders are generally expected to contribute fast, except for some QBs.

Just for comparison, stone-hips Gholston was picked at #6 in the first round and he typically never made a tackle in a game.  I don't think he has sacked a quarterback yet.  Expectations are different when you're a high first rounder.  The same goes for early first rounder shrimpy-arms DeWayne Robertson, who at least played (weakly).  I started criticizing both of them before the draft, not after, so I don't know what the Jets war room has for an excuse.  Yes they're both defensive linemen, but they've had too much time now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Wasn't Mike Wright signed as a free agent from cincinnati? Not drafted at all?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

YES,WRIGHT WAS AN UNDRAFTED ROOKIE FREE AGENT(NOT A BAD SIGNING AFTER THE DRAFT,I GUESS!).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Vapatfan1,
    2006 draft was possibly the worst draft the Pats have ever had, here's the picks

round
    1  Maroney
    2  Chad Jackson
    3  David Thomas
    4  Garrett Mills
    4  Gostkowski
    5  O'Callaghan
    6  Jeremy Mincey
    6  Dan Stevenson
    6  Lekevin Smith
    7  Willie Andrews

The next year wasn't much better for picking, Meriweather is good.  They did however get Welker and Moss from trading draft picks which is possibly the biggest steal of all time.

Here's a link of all thier picks by year if you want to see.
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/nwe.htm

Sections
Shortcuts