Re: Season is over - grade the draft...
posted at 12/31/2009 1:55 AM EST
2/34 -- Patrick Chung, B, he’s playing. His position takes time to learn.
2/40 -- Ron Brace C+, so far he fills a gap sort of. BB defends his play.
2/41 -- Darius Butler B, he’s playing
2/58 -- Sebastian Vollmer A+, production now and high value. Larceny.
3/83 -- Brandon Tate D BB gambled on a knee injury. In the end the Pats got a knee injury. At this point Tate might well stay injured forever. 20% chance I am wrong and Tate will bloom in 12 months, 80% chance that’s one third rounder we won’t see on the field.
3/97 -- Tyrone McKenzie Incomplete. Not BB’s fault he got hurt. Next year.
4/123 -- Rich Ohrnberger.B, as a fourth rounder he stuck with the team. That’s something.
5/170 -- George Bussey.B simply because as a fifth rounder he didn’t take up a roster spot this year, and he got an extra year to get better. Getting anything for a fifth is worth a B.
6/198 -- Jake Ingram A+ for a sixth.
6/207 -- Myron Pryor A+ for a sixth.
7/232 -- Julian Edelman A+ for a seventh.
7/234 -- Darryl Richard B. He’s not a waste of a seventh. He’s on the practice squad, but curiously he just got his salary doubled two weeks ago. On most teams a seventh rounder has a 10% chance of making a team.
Other factors: Sheer awesome display of trading prowess to get seven second rounders in two years. A+ with extra credit tacked on, and a bag of chips too. If your team isn’t the Pats, BB’s trades should have made you sick to your stomach. There’s just no parity in the NFL today.
Only one of 12 is now a draft choice in the garbage can that might have been an “I told you so”. Guys have gotten injured but much of that was unpredictable. Awesome judge’s scores in the dumpster diving event this year.