Seattle looking to Trade Deion Branch!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Seattle looking to Trade Deion Branch!

For example, Deion Branch might be expendable after Seattle’s receivers last year failed to make plays, partly because of health and partly because they finished 30th in the NFL in dropped passes. If healthy, Branch would give the Jets a veteran receiver capable of helping a rookie quarterback.  Both teams might benefit from this trade. 
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/05/diner-morning-news-trade-bait/

Seattle is looking to trade Branch, this would be a great move for NE if the Hawks would take a very low draft pick for Branch.  While I don't consider Branch a top NFL WR, he has an excellent chemistry with Brady, and that alone would be enough for an awesome offense!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

Re: Seattle looking to Trade Deion Branch!

no they aren't. the guy who wrote that article is looking to trade deion branch. from all reports from seattle, they are looking to give him one more chance to produce. if they were looking to trade him that would have come up before the draft. however, if he looks like he's not fully back from his injuries in training camp, or he gets injured again, he could be released to save money. i'd personally love to see him back here for what he did for us in the past as a player and personality, but i think his career has been derailed by the injuries. the pats guessed right on him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]no they aren't. the guy who wrote that article is looking to trade deion branch. from all reports from seattle, they are looking to give him one more chance to produce. if they were looking to trade him that would have come up before the draft. however, if he looks like he's not fully back from his injuries in training camp, or he gets injured again, he could be released to save money. i'd personally love to see him back here for what he did for us in the past as a player and personality, but i think his career has been derailed by the injuries. the pats guessed right on him.
    Posted by artielang[/QUOTE]

I'm sure if the offer was attractive enough, the Hawks would pull the trigger and trade Branch to the Pats.  Deion Branch is only a top WR with Tom Brady behind center.  I also felt NE made the best move by not paying the big bucks for Deion.  But if the Pats can wrap him up for a 5th or lower, it would be an excellent move(minus any serious injuries).  Deion would be a solid WR for years, and the Pats would be done trying to re-sign lower tier WR.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]I'm sure if the offer was attractive enough, the Hawks would pull the trigger and trade Branch to the Pats.  Deion Branch is only a top WR with Tom Brady behind center.  I also felt NE made the best move by not paying the big bucks for Deion.  But if the Pats can wrap him up for a 5th or lower, it would be an excellent move(minus any serious injuries).  Deion would be a solid WR for years, and the Pats would be done trying to re-sign lower tier WR.
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

Uh, Branch is making too much for a POC receiver....trading him was the best move the Pats have ever made.

Galloway at 37 is a better WR than Branch at 29......bang for the buck.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

From an emotional side, it would be nice to see Branch back in a Patriots uniform. He meant a lot to this team when they were a defensive oriented team and Brady needed a weapon.

But let's face it. From a logistical side, Belichick isn't going to pull this trigger unless he can get him for nearly nothing. The offensive landscape has totally changed and Branch (if he could ever stay healthy) would be buried on the depth chart.

I just don't see the Patriots trading for a WR, even if it is to get a local hero back.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]Uh, Branch is making too much for a POC receiver....trading him was the best move the Pats have ever made. Galloway at 37 is a better WR than Branch at 29......bang for the buck.....
    Posted by m1020us[/QUOTE]

Galloway isn't better than Branch with Brady under center.  WR need time to develop a solid chemistry with their QB, and so will Galloway.  Joey is at the tail end of his career and to think he can last the entire season without significant injury is really pushing it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I love reading Deion Branch posts. Especially the parts about his "chemistry" with Tom Brady. Funny how Brady seems to develop such great "chemistry" with all his receivers (well . . .  maybe not so much with Chad Jackson).

Could it possibly be that Deion Branch Blows . . .  and Reche Caldwell blows . . .  and David Givens blows . . .  and that Jabar Gaffney blows . . .  and that the only reason we've ever heard of any of them is because we don't yet have words to accurately describe how awesome Tom Brady is?

No . . .  probably not.

Look, if Seattle is giving away Deion Branches and they are willing to play for a bag of peanuts and a coke, I'll take one.

If not . . .

not.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

You would want to take on ~$5 mil per season over the next three seasons, for Deion Branch, and give up a draft pick for the honor?

I don't care how good you are, and he is a good WR, players that can't stay healthy are to be avoided.

Just pro-rate his conract to games started to figure out the worth of the player. He averages $6.5 million a season over the length plus bonus, but he has started just ten and a half games per season due to injuries.

That means he is really closer to $9.8 million per season, on a per game basis. Not worth it, by a long shot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

[QUOTE]I love reading Deion Branch posts. Especially the parts about his "chemistry" with Tom Brady. Funny how Brady seems to develop such great "chemistry" with all his receivers (well . . .  maybe not so much with Chad Jackson). Could it possibly be that Deion Branch Blows . . .  and Reche Caldwell blows . . .  and David Givens blows . . .  and that Jabar Gaffney blows . . .  and that the only reason we've ever heard of any of them is because we don't yet have words to accurately describe how awesome Tom Brady is? No . . .  probably not. Look, if Seattle is giving away Deion Branches and they are willing to play for a bag of peanuts and a coke, I'll take one. If not . . . not.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Don't forget David Patten.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fredfredfred. Show Fredfredfred's posts

F him!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Not worth it . The surname Tatopu conjures up some fine memories too....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

all of these follow up posts are spot on. but the bottom line is that there is no proposed trade of branch to the pats or anywhere else, besides on this board. so can we please get over it?
    oh and kudos to prairiemike for getting word "blows" past the censors on here. i didn't know we could say that but now i am going to make use of it.
    jets blow!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

I would rather wait to see if he produces this season with a healthy Matt Hasselbeck.  If not, they might decide he's not worth the large contract they gave him and just cut him or let him go for a late round pick.  Actually when he faced the Pats last year he had a great game and scored 2 TD's.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]I'm sure if the offer was attractive enough, the Hawks would pull the trigger and trade Branch to the Pats.  Deion Branch is only a top WR with Tom Brady behind center.  I also felt NE made the best move by not paying the big bucks for Deion.  But if the Pats can wrap him up for a 5th or lower, it would be an excellent move(minus any serious injuries).  Deion would be a solid WR for years, and the Pats would be done trying to re-sign lower tier WR.

Some of the posts in here are ridiculous. Seattle will trade Branch for a 5th round pick? Another guy says we should trade O'Connell for a number one. Hmm. I think we should get Julius Peppers for a sixth round pick and maybe give up Rodney Harrison for a first and second round pick to Detroit. I am sure Cleveland would want our long snapper for Brady Quinn, then we can trade O'Connell for Ed Reed to firm up our secondary. Those trades sound good to me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

zb is right again. Willingly taking on $5 million a year for Branch is ludicrous.  He can't stay on the field, and the Patriots desperately need that money when literally half the team (including some big names) become free agents next year.

Galloway will be a good bridge to Tate.  He's 37, but apparently is running like he's 27.  Lewis provides good depth as well.  I'm not concerned about the offense one bit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Givens is a free agent and you don't see BB rushing to resign him do you? The thing is you have to be extra special in order for BB too take you back.Both Branch and Givens left for the money so you'll never see them back in a Patriots Uniform, was shocked that TBC was resigned,he must have left on good terms.I think BB would take McGinnest back in a heartbeat if he thought he had anything left in the tank.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]You would want to take on ~$5 mil per season over the next three seasons, for Deion Branch, and give up a draft pick for the honor? I don't care how good you are, and he is a good WR, players that can't stay healthy are to be avoided. Just pro-rate his conract to games started to figure out the worth of the player. He averages $6.5 million a season over the length plus bonus, but he has started just ten and a half games per season due to injuries. That means he is really closer to $9.8 million per season, on a per game basis. Not worth it, by a long shot.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I agree 5 mill would be way too much for Branch, but I don't like to get into contract as most of the details are not available to the public.  Branch for a very low 1-2 mill per year cap hit would be fine.  This issue would be what would be guaranteed and if it were on the front or backend of the contract.  But those are issues I prefer to avoid.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

First, you may want to avoid that discussion, but you are trading for a contract if this deal were proposed. Branch isn't going to take a pay cut wherever he goes, even if the NFLPA allowed such a thing.

Unless NE signed a new contract with him it is what it is.

The figure I stated was his yearly salary. Any bonus is not factored into that data, and has already been assumed by Seattle anyways. When you trade for a player you don't assume a bonus that has already been paid.

Cap figures in trades are very transparent for the team assuming the player.

Hence, his cap number in Seattle is like slightly higher than $5.5 million a season, but in NE it would $4.94, $5.47, $5.97 mil per graduating through 2011.

That is the cap number, no speculation. Whatever is leftover from a bonus is on the Seahawks' books.

Re: guarantees

I would guess very little of that is guaranteed because his contract was $39/$13/6yrs. But you don't trade for a player with the intent of cutting him later. That is giving up a draft pick for nothing.

You trade based on what he has been doing, or what you think he can do.

The $13 million guaranteed, assuming half is gone, or assuming all is gone, or none is gone, is irrelevant. You won't figure out that you overpaid with a player like Branch until it is too late and winds up injured again. Then, you have already paid for the season, so you got ripped off one year, even if you release him.

The only way that contract makes any sense is if he performs better than he ever had before, and for a full 16 game stretch. Doubtful.

I would never sign that contract with Deion Branch, hence I would never trade for Deion Branch. If they offered me that contract for a football I wouldn't take it.

It just isn't worth it even if none is guaranteed, because you are jeapordizing a lot of salary flexibility on a huge gamble. They would have to work some roster tricks just to get him on the squad.

If Seattle release him outright, and there was a chance to get a new deal on the books, with a cap figure at $1-2 then it is worth discussing, because terms can be negotiated around his current status, which is a good but injury prone kid.

But then we are talking about a scenario with so many moving parts that it isn't worth posting about.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc686. Show jc686's posts

[QUOTE]Uh, Branch is making too much for a POC receiver....trading him was the best move the Pats have ever made. Galloway at 37 is a better WR than Branch at 29......bang for the buck.....
    Posted by m1020us[/QUOTE]

Get rid of your "tainted" article post.  You look like a retaaaaad.  Especially after the Manny and Merloni admissions.

Besides, there is no key component to any Yankee championship other than Clemens and Pettitte on that list so what are you saying you SULLY toolbag?

Oh yeah thats right- MVP 2004 Manny being Manny SHHHHHHHHHH a-hole

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from horrifying. Show horrifying's posts

NE would not be interested in Branch unless he can now start at OLB who can set the edge and projected 8 to 12 QB sacks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]Galloway isn't better than Branch with Brady under center.  WR need time to develop a solid chemistry with their QB, and so will Galloway.  Joey is at the tail end of his career and to think he can last the entire season without significant injury is really pushing it.

LOL!  Branch has had more injuries than Galloway in the past 4 years.  Galloway has had more success in Tampa with a multitude of different QB's than Branch had here in NE with Brady.

How long did it take for the Chemistry to kick in with Brady and Moss and Brady and Welker?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

[QUOTE]Could it possibly be that Deion Branch Blows . . .  and Reche Caldwell blows . . .  and David Givens blows . . .  and that Jabar Gaffney blows . . .  and that the only reason we've ever heard of any of them is because we don't yet have words to accurately describe how awesome Tom Brady is? No . . .  probably not. [/QUOTE]

Oh, that is a priceless quote. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]For example, Deion Branch might be expendable after Seattle’s receivers last year failed to make plays, partly because of health and partly because they finished 30th in the NFL in dropped passes. If healthy, Branch would give the Jets a veteran receiver capable of helping a rookie quarterback.   Both teams might benefit from this trade.   http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/05/diner-morning-news-trade-bait/ Seattle is looking to trade Branch, this would be a great move for NE if the Hawks would take a very low draft pick for Branch.  While I don't consider Branch a top NFL WR, he has an excellent chemistry with Brady, and that alone would be enough for an awesome offense!

ure! And then we'll trade to get McGinnest from the Browns, Samuels from teh Eagles, etc. Didn't you pay atte ntion to how Ms Branch forced her way out of town? We got over her in '07 (16-0 I recall). Let her dangle in teh breeze. Her days of prime playing are just about over. No way BB takes a drama queen back who tried very hard to force an exit out of town.

ADIOS!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]You would want to take on ~$5 mil per season over the next three seasons, for Deion Branch, and give up a draft pick for the honor? I don't care how good you are, and he is a good WR, players that can't stay healthy are to be avoided. Just pro-rate his conract to games started to figure out the worth of the player. He averages $6.5 million a season over the length plus bonus, but he has started just ten and a half games per season due to injuries. That means he is really closer to $9.8 million per season, on a per game basis. Not worth it, by a long shot.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I have a degree in physics, but I cannot, for the lif of me, figure out how someone starts "half a game". Fuzzy math? Me thinks you may be a victim of a public education from the People's Republic, or some other low achieving state.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

If a player starts 32 games over a three year period, how would you express the amount of starts he averages per season?

I earnestly await your reply. No, wait, I do not.

If we get less "fuzzy" it becomes a decimal. We could get fuzzier and just say 10 or 11, but that is tantamount to saying about ten and a half.

So if it blows your mind away, pretend he gets the extra start in odd years.

And FWIW, no I wasn't educated in Mass schools, but have several friends who teach there.

I will let my abd PhD, 99.992nd percentile GRE scores (including a perfect score in fuzzy math) and the fact that I teach at a private university speak for my public education, and not someone on the internet who thinks it is funny to take potshots. 

But I was probably just educated in some other low achieving state.

And as far as Mass versus Arizona. I'll let the NAEP sort that one out.
    http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/states/

There is plenty of razor sharp math there. Like the fact that only 66% of Arizona students have even a basic grasp on mathematics. Underachieving? That is what we call remedial level. 

Thanks.

Sections
Shortcuts