Seau Isn't What The Patriots Need

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Seau Isn't What The Patriots Need

Okay, so Seau and BB have a great relationship, but the dude is 40 years old. I realize he is here for helping against the run - but if you've watched him in the past 3 years or so - he is slower than molasses. He may help with leadership, but I think he will be beat on the field.

We need some personnel who can put pressure on opposing QBs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lsulifer86. Show lsulifer86's posts

Re: Seau Isn't What The Patriots Need

couldn't agreee with you more... just when I thought we had youth (finally) in the D, we went out and got.. sigh..

Seau should have been hired as an assitant coach or co-ordinator..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriot54too. Show patriot54too's posts

Junior will contribute period.  We will be glad to have him as we see he is much better than either one of the above posters think.  He isn't a 4 down LB anymore, but that's not what the Patriots need him for either.  He will be a sub in the regular defense and a contributor in the sub defensive packages.

Welcome Junior!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1262959. Show user_1262959's posts

I thought he played great last year, tons of energy, always around the ball...What did I miss?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Seau Isn't What The Patriots Need:
    [QUOTE]I thought he played great last year, tons of energy, always around the ball...What did I miss?
    Posted by zackie[/QUOTE]

Well, If I were an opposing QB and saw Seau on the field - I'd throw his way. Seau was left in the dust on pass plays last year. In addition, he was left holding his jock strap on quick jukes.

This is a step backwards, not forwards. Yes, he's a good sub if we have noone left.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]Junior will contribute period.  We will be glad to have him as we see he is much better than either one of the above posters think.  He isn't a 4 down LB anymore, but that's not what the Patriots need him for either.  He will be a sub in the regular defense and a contributor in the sub defensive packages. Welcome Junior!
    Posted by patriot54too[/QUOTE]

How is he better than what I expect? He is here to help stop the run on occasional plays - I wasn't expecting more than that. Wait until you see him on the field again, you'll see how bad he is when he is in pursuit - won't even be close.

If he was better than that - he'd be in a regular rotation.  In addition, he didn't play all that much last year - there is still plenty of games to play this year.

I like Seau - I just think we have moved on to better pastures w/ a youth movement.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsgirl6. Show patsgirl6's posts

I think he'll bring some great leadership that is lacking since most of our vets have been traded.

Give him time before we rip him apart guys! 

GO PATS!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_439198. Show user_439198's posts

I think he is needed. we play 4-3 with rush ends and 2 tackles.No disguise of any kind .Even in a vannilla 3-4 we can swap the rush OLB a few times forcing the OL and QB to make a protection call.Right now we are play as vanilla we can get and making the opposing ol and qb life easier.

Seau will let us play more 3-4 as one of the reason we play 4-3 is we do not have 2 ILB. Guyton is a 4-3 OLB and he can even rush the passer as 3-4 end with his quickness as he bigger than mathais and dumerville.

if we continue to play 4-3 we need a speed demon end i am not sure where you will find one now in mid season

In 3-4 instead of AD trying to the play behind LOS in the center will rush. AD is a good pass rusher and using him predominately as a coverage guy is useless.

With seau in we line up AD on the strong side and then have woods on the other side and have woods and guyton swap rushing .so the OL will have to decide presnap if 4 or 5 rushers are coming and if woods and guyton are the one of the 2 or both and who is stunting. So OL every tackle and gaurd need to slide around   depending on who is coming.

How much you want to bet we will have a few sacks,tackles for loss with the confusion this will cause.Some setup we drop both AD and Woods forcing the QB to change snap reads leading to a interception.

I believe getting young is good not at the expense of not winning.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Seau is added depth and needed leadership....he is still a good productive player.  Not sure what games the original poster was watching....I think that he is gettting Hobbs and Seau confused.

The original poster is actually correct about 1 thing, right now we don't NEED Seau.....Defense is not the problem.  The Offense needs to get back to 2007 levels, they need a kick in the pants to get going.

The Defense is fine.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]Seau is added depth and needed leadership....he is still a good productive player.  Not sure what games the original poster was watching....I think that he is gettting Hobbs and Seau confused. The original poster is actually correct about 1 thing, right now we don't NEED Seau.....Defense is not the problem.  The Offense needs to get back to 2007 levels, they need a kick in the pants to get going. The Defense is fine.
    Posted by m1020us[/QUOTE]

LOL....no confusion between the two. I would agree that the offense needs to get their act together. I think we can improve in all phases of the game - including coaching (defensive and offensive play calling).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Seau's weakness is that he's a World War I veteran and he can't take a whole season of bumps and bruises.  His strength is that he's a huge and vastly experienced run-stopper who knows the Patriots' complex system.  So, he'll take the field some of the time and he will improve the D, for the time that he's healthy. 

Last year he lasted through week 17 and was all set for the playoffs, except last year an 11-5 record wasn't good enough (for the first time in NFL history).  So, he might last that long this year too.  As far as the Patriots' chances of making the playoffs, well, they are finally going to play a team that wasn't undefeated at the time.  They were in one loss until the last minute and in the other loss until the overtime coin flip.  Tough team, tough schedule.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtfmaroney. Show wtfmaroney's posts

he just needs to teach every one to try and catch the ball... u ever notice that???? or LBs rarley ever force a turnover thank god for mayo!!!! if he could just learn to jump for the ball hed be the complete package... thats all seau has to do, i dont expect him to get grewat stops but he shudave came back as a coordinator not a LB

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I hope Seau contributes bigtime to the Pats.  But I'm also in the camp of this is not what the Patriots needed.  The money and roster spot could have been spend on a FA WR for a tryout.  Something the Patriots really need at the #3 spot.  The defense was playing well enough to win, but the offense was just keeping them on the field way too long.  Leadership, character, gimme a break!  The Pats need more youth and speed. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Seau was brought in because there's not much depth at the position. What happens if Guyton goes down?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]Seau was brought in because there's not much depth at the position. What happens if Guyton goes down?
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron[/QUOTE]

Good point re: depth at ILB. When Mayo went down, I thought Adalius was going to  move to the Mike alongside Guyton for the 3-4, but I don't recall seeing that happen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

As stated by others I like the fact he is here for back-up. If Guyton goes down he is an experienced player and still looks like he is in great shape.

Go Pats!!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Seau Isn't What The Patriots Need:
    [QUOTE]Okay, so Seau and BB have a great relationship, but the dude is 40 years old. I realize he is here for helping against the run - but if you've watched him in the past 3 years or so - he is slower than molasses. He may help with leadership, but I think he will be beat on the field. We need some personnel who can put pressure on opposing QBs.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

Quick, call the Patriots and give them the benefit of your keen football knowledge; maybe its not too late to call off the deal!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]Seau was brought in because there's not much depth at the position. What happens if Guyton goes down?
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron[/QUOTE]

should have been addressed in the offseason.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Seau Isn't What The Patriots Need:
    [QUOTE]Okay, so Seau and BB have a great relationship, but the dude is 40 years old. I realize he is here for helping against the run - but if you've watched him in the past 3 years or so - he is slower than molasses. He may help with leadership, but I think he will be beat on the field. We need some personnel who can put pressure on opposing QBs.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

They signed Junior Seau and released Terdell Sands. Who is better? They didn't sign Seau because they thought he was going to be Ray Lewis. They signed him because he is an automatic upgrade on and off the field. We aren't going to be able to address the need that you want through free agency or a trade at this point. I hear what you are saying because I too am frustrated with our defense but with all honesty we pretty much just have to hope what we have gets better by the end of the year. The Patriots have had a track record of improving through the season so it's not as bleak as it sounds but Seau........Definitely isn't going to hurt us.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

So are all you all saying you know better than BB what the Pats need? Perhaps all the armchair coaches here should head down to Gillette and fill him in on what he's doing wrong...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scott1971. Show Scott1971's posts

Seau can obviously bring it as he has proven in the past, and he is not slow. He will also be invaluable teaching Mayo and Guyton the ropes in the process.  Your lack of insight is disturbing.  I think we would all appreciate it if you would put more thought in first before posting in the future.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rugger02. Show rugger02's posts

This move is less about Seau and more about the players currently on the field. This will now allow Guyton to move outside where he is better suited.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]Seau can obviously bring it as he has proven in the past, and he is not slow. He will also be invaluable teaching Mayo and Guyton the ropes in the process.  Your lack of insight is disturbing.  I think we would all appreciate it if you would put more thought in first before posting in the future.
    Posted by Scott1971[/QUOTE]

trust me...he is slow.  I think I can run faster than him...lol.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]Seau can obviously bring it as he has proven in the past, and he is not slow. He will also be invaluable teaching Mayo and Guyton the ropes in the process.  Your lack of insight is disturbing.  I think we would all appreciate it if you would put more thought in first before posting in the future.
    Posted by Scott1971[/QUOTE]

coming from a person who has 1 post...lol...ok.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuntonFirstDown. Show PuntonFirstDown's posts

I liked Sands in his short stint. Why JR? He was good in 07 but how will he be now??
    Let time be the judge.

Sections
Shortcuts