Sebastian Vollmer as goal line third tight end?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Sebastian Vollmer as goal line third tight end?

Just wondering.  He'd be a tremendous blocker as a third tight end on the goal line, just like having another tackle on the field.  He can't really run, but he has a 36 inch leap, he's 6 foot 8 and he has long arms on top of all that, so the average 6 foot 2, 240 pound inside linebacker would have to leap 45 inches to match his leap.  If he's 9 yards deep in the endzone, Brady can hit the target.  He can play way above the goal post crossbar.  He comes with some tight end experience.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: Sebastian Vollmer as goal line third tight end?

He has good speed for a tackle, 5.13.

I'm sure the flexibility and athleticism to fill that role was part of the reason for drafting him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Just wondering.  He'd be a tremendous blocker as a third tight end on the goal line, just like having another tackle on the field.  He can't really run, but he has a 36 inch leap, he's 6 foot 8 and he has long arms on top of all that, so the average 6 foot 2, 240 pound inside linebacker would have to leap 45 inches to match his leap.  If he's 9 yards deep in the endzone, Brady can hit the target.  He can play way above the goal post crossbar.  He comes with some tight end experience.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Forget about the french pastry. For where the Pats drafted him, Vollmer better develop into a decent starting RT...at a minimum.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

The general consensus seems to be that the Pats reached for this kid -- which is fine; I'm not going to start second guessing Belichick -- but Tex is right on the money here. The Pats need Vollmer to learn how to block NFL headhunters (kneehunters?) before we start touting him as Mike Vrabel, Jr.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]He has good speed for a tackle, 5.13. I'm sure the flexibility and athleticism to fill that role was part of the reason for drafting him.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

Are you kidding me? The Patriots reached on this guy big time and he had better turn into a Pro Bowl tackle, not a nice project. We had the best goal line tight end in the league, and traded him (he could also play a little LB) and a franchise QB for a college safety who "has trouble in coverage, but is a big hitter." I am more concerned about another revamped secondary and questionable LB play than whether this big guy can play tight end one or two plays a game. And who backs up Brady now?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

[QUOTE]Are you kidding me? The Patriots reached on this guy big time and he had better turn into a Pro Bowl tackle, not a nice project. We had the best goal line tight end in the league, and traded him (he could also play a little LB) and a franchise QB for a college safety who "has trouble in coverage, but is a big hitter." I am more concerned about another revamped secondary and questionable LB play than whether this big guy can play tight end one or two plays a game. And who backs up Brady now?
    Posted by BostonBobBlowhard[/QUOTE] I think a HOF coach has more credibility with his talent evaluation than a new born troll like yourself.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

how did they pats reach for a guy in the draft, isn't every player in the draft a reach at some point? keep getting your news from mel kiper and espn, have a thought on your own?

Sections
Shortcuts