Sebastian Vollmer Should Be Starting!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MJKJRMRYAZ. Show MJKJRMRYAZ's posts

Sebastian Vollmer Should Be Starting!

After watching Sebastian Vollemer play LT the past two games, I come away very impressed.  Matt Light is not a true LT, he is better suited at RT.  Matt Light cannot handle speed rushers, they beat him most every time.  He is just not athletic enough.  Vollmer on the other hand has really caught my eye.  Besides a couple of false start penalties in the London game, he has shown flashes of being an exceptional lineman.  I would like to see more of him, because I think he is the answer to protecting the franchise (Tom Brady), not Matt Light.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Re: Sebastian Vollmer Should Be Starting!

I'm extremely impressed with Vollmer as well, and have been on his bandwagon the second I started researching him after the draft. He's done a hell of a job. However, the job is Matt Light's. I've been unimpressed with Matt Light so far this season, but he is a veteran and knows the ins and outs of the position. Light should be the starter. Vollmer hasn't gone against any of the leagues top rushers yet. When he beats Freeney or Peppers, then I'll say it's his.

Vollmer is the future Patriots LT, but it isn't his time yet. Next year is a high possibility though. I'm a huge fan of Sea Bass!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

In Response to Sebastian Vollmer Should Be Starting!:
    [QUOTE]After watching Sebastian Vollemer play LT the past two games, I come away very impressed.  Matt Light is not a true LT, he is better suited at RT.  Matt Light cannot handle speed rushers, they beat him most every time.  He is just not athletic enough.  Vollmer on the other hand has really caught my eye.  Besides a couple of false start penalties in the London game, he has shown flashes of being an exceptional lineman.  I would like to see more of him, because I think he is the answer to protecting the franchise (Tom Brady), not Matt Light.
    Posted by MJKJRMRYAZ[/QUOTE]

After the Pats drafted him, fans grumbled...wasted pick many exclaimed!  I immediately checked his colleged stats and checked on what the locals were saying about his being picked up by the Pats.  The people of Houston were not surprised.

FYI: this kid came on the radar of a lot coached in 2004! 
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/sebastian-vollmer?id=89814

"U.S. college coaches lined up to sign Vollmer after he appeared in the 2004 Global Junior Championships in San Diego.  Vollmer spoke almost no English when he signed with Houston."

Not surprisingly, Sea Bass was estatic when NE called him...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/6392646.html

Let's face it, the Pats scored bit with him and Mankins.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpled. Show cpled's posts

Matt Light= old west saloon doors-nuff said

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

[QUOTE]After watching Sebastian Vollemer play LT the past two games, I come away very impressed.  Matt Light is not a true LT, he is better suited at RT.  Matt Light cannot handle speed rushers, they beat him most every time.  He is just not athletic enough.  Vollmer on the other hand has really caught my eye.  Besides a couple of false start penalties in the London game, he has shown flashes of being an exceptional lineman.  I would like to see more of him, because I think he is the answer to protecting the franchise (Tom Brady), not Matt Light.

Light is not going anywhere this year unless he gets hurt. 

Vollmer had 2 holding penalties in the Bucs game. . 

If Light was not a true LT then why has BB had him there for so many years?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

LOL!  Another uneducated football fan that thinks he knows more than one of the greatest coaches in the game....Great!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

Matt Light bashing is nothing new on this site, but I'm surprised to see two new posters use thier first comments to do so. Vollmer has been okay, but nothing else. He is still a very raw talent with potential to be great one day. He has been very strong defending the interior but has had a little trouble defending the outside.

The starting job remains with Light until his cap room becomes too much of a burden or when Belichick sees something that puts Vollmer over the top.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Matt Light is a smart left tackle who plays with good technique. His weakness is that he's not as quick, large, or athletic as you'd ideally like. He's always struggled a bit with very quick and powerful defensive ends, but you have to admire how well he's done overall given his good, but less than ideal, physical skills. I think his success is a tribute to his intelligence and work ethic, and I'm sure that's what's kept him in the starting spot. I think BB places a lot of trust in him and I'm sure Brady does too.

Vollmer seems to have the size and athletic skills Light lacks, but it will be a while before he has equal technique and knowledge of the game. So far, though, Vollmer has been very impressive for a rookie and I wouldn't be surprised if he replaces Light as starter over the next few years. I don't think BB is ready to put Vollmer ahead of Light at this point though. Light's a very reliable guy at left tackle, whose strengths significantly outweigh his weaknesses, and whose weaknesses can be mitigated by game planning (using an extra TE, for instance, against the best pass rushers). Vollmer's still a bit of an unknown quantity and working him into the mix gradually makes more sense than taking the risk of replacing a very reliable starter with an untested rookie in a position so crucial not only to the success of the passing game but to the health of our most important offensive weapon, our hall-of-fame quarterback. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

It's hard to replace an All-pro, not Pro-bowl, All-pro LT with a rookie because the rookie took on Tenn and TB's pass rushers. If he did an exceptional job on the Giants front 4 I would start to doubt Matty Ice, but he didn't. I think Matt will be back in time for the first Mia game, I think Belichick just wanted to make sure he was well rested when he needed him most- the next 5 games. I expect to see Sammy Morris out there as well. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

Vollmer may be a diamond in the rough but it is far too soon to make these comparisons.  It seems he does have all the prototypical skills but he needs to put some work in and how well will he deal with his injuries which we all know will ocurr?  He might be the future LT but Matt Light has earned his stripes for now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Matt Light cannot handle speed rushers, they beat him most every time.

I love this line. I have heard it a few times when discussing Matt Light. If this was true it would mean that technically Brady who drops back to pass roughly 35 times a game would be sacked oh I dunno 25-30 times when we play teams with speed rushers. I mean 25-30 would be "most every time" out of 35 wouldn't it? I actually like the fact that we have a starting LT who we do not pay crazy money for. We can spend money elsewhere on other positions. Brady is one of the least sacked QBs in the NFL. It would be nice to have the least amount of sacks in the league, I agree but is it worth having paying that money...

Vollmer looks good I guess. I mean I have high hopes for the guy and everything but what can you tell from the two games he has started against two of the worst teams in the NFL. Think he has had 3 maybe 4 penalties over that span. Thats not good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clifford987. Show clifford987's posts

Sea bass will be a monster, watch for his run blocking skills as well as his pass blocking.  He will have to wait his turn and in that time learn his trade including other positions on the line.  BB rocks!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Look, I like Vollmer and he is our future left tackle, but for some to say Light gets beat by speed rushers most times is just plain rediculous. And the other fact is if Bill thought he sucked he would not be there. Now it is nice to know our next starting tackle is locked up on the team!!!!!

Go Pats!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

In Response to Re: Sebastian Vollmer Should Be Starting!:
    [QUOTE]Matt Light is a smart left tackle who plays with good technique. His weakness is that he's not as quick, large, or athletic as you'd ideally like. He's always struggled a bit with very quick and powerful defensive ends, but you have to admire how well he's done overall given his good, but less than ideal, physical skills. I think his success is a tribute to his intelligence and work ethic, and I'm sure that's what's kept him in the starting spot. I think BB places a lot of trust in him and I'm sure Brady does too. Vollmer seems to have the size and athletic skills Light lacks, but it will be a while before he has equal technique and knowledge of the game. So far, though, Vollmer has been very impressive for a rookie and I wouldn't be surprised if he replaces Light as starter over the next few years. I don't think BB is ready to put Vollmer ahead of Light at this point though. Light's a very reliable guy at left tackle, whose strengths significantly outweigh his weaknesses, and whose weaknesses can be mitigated by game planning (using an extra TE, for instance, against the best pass rushers). Vollmer's still a bit of an unknown quantity and working him into the mix gradually makes more sense than taking the risk of replacing a very reliable starter with an untested rookie in a position so crucial not only to the success of the passing game but to the health of our most important offensive weapon, our hall-of-fame quarterback.    
    Posted by soloflyfisher[/QUOTE]

You could cover Vollmer's weakness using that same TE.  Right now I agree that Vollmer is the 2nd string LT, but when Neal gets hurt I wouldn't be surprised to see Vollmer come in at LT, move Light to RT and slide Kaz inside to RG where I believe he belongs.  Give Vollmer a year and he will be starting, he just needs to learn a little more technique from Light.

If you're going to jump on Vollmer for his 3 penalties last weekend, you need to at least mention that Mankins had just as many penalties at LG, which is less excusable as he's right next to the center/QB.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Sebastian Vollmer Should Be Starting! : Light is not going anywhere this year unless he gets hurt.  Vollmer had 2 holding penalties in the Bucs game. .  If Light was not a true LT then why has BB had him there for so many years?
    Posted by patsfaninsatx[/QUOTE]

I was wondering why people are impressed with him. I only caught two quarters of the game, yet saw those two holding penalties. You can add to that the false start right after the first holding call. He barely kept the rusher from Brady. I never thought that he was in control. It did not give me confidence that Brady could would survive if they were playing a good team.

I hope he gets better.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sebastian Vollmer Should Be Starting! : I was wondering why people are impressed with him. I only caught two quarters of the game, yet saw those two holding penalties. You can add to that the false start right after the first holding call. He barely kept the rusher from Brady. I never thought that he was in control. It did not give me confidence that Brady could would survive if they were playing a good team. I hope he gets better.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]
    The Titan's game and the first half of the Bucs game Vollmer was great. You could notice him limping and moving much slower halfway through the bucs game though, and that's when the holds were made. He was playing injured. I'm not trying to make excuses for him, because he's a pro, but your game changes when you are hurt.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]If you're going to jump on Vollmer for his 3 penalties last weekend, you need to at least mention that Mankins had just as many penalties at LG, which is less excusable as he's right next to the center/QB.
    Posted by RahZid[/QUOTE]

Definitely not jumping on Vollmer's penalties. If I remember right, all his penalties came after he hurt his leg, and the injury may have been slowing him down a bit and causing him to grab rushers.  As I said, I don't think Vollmer is ready to replace Light yet, but I think he may be the LT of the future--and I'm rooting for him not only to take the starting position over time, but also to become a dominant player at that position.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from aces1. Show aces1's posts

Well, if was not for Brady's pocket awreness and his movement in the pocket, then more than just Light, on that swiss cheese line of ours, would be in trouble of losing they're jobs.  The line owes Brady alot, it is not that great of a line, in comparison, rotheslisberger sits in the pocket and very rarely has to move out of the pocket.  Pittsburgh, Indianapolis and the ny giants have awesome lines,  N.E. not so much! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Aces, I might agree with u on NYG and Indy lines, but not at all on Pitt, their line stinks.  Ben might not live to the post season if they keep it up

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

When Matt light returns he will start. The jury is out on Vollmer at this point. There's no way to make a call using the last 2 games as an example. If Vollmer is still in there for the Miami and Indy games we will know a little more but Belichick loves Matt Light and so does Brady. They still know more than I do about what's going on with the O-Line play.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

Would love to see Vollmer gathering valuable experience at the position now. Yes, let him start a couple and let Light get some healing done.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]Would love to see Vollmer gathering valuable experience at the position now. Yes, let him start a couple and let Light get some healing done.
    Posted by Hog73[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Do all you sea bass supporters really think you're more knowledgable than BB, when it comes to assessing OLine talent? get real.

So, light occasionally gets beat by speed rushers. Guess what? there isn't a LT in the league that doesn't occasionally get beat by the likes of feeney or peppers. They get paid too.

sea bass is a promising rookie, nothing more. To suggest that he replace a pro bowl LT after 3 games is preposterous.