Second Drive for Detroit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: Second Drive for Detroit

Good analysis.  No matter who ends up staying, I just hope this defense can gel and continue to get better.  I'm cautiously optimistic that we can take a big step forward offensively this year...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

To be honest I haven't got a lot of looks at him, when he is out there I notice he has these long arms and he looks like a linebacker (which is good). I haven't noticed his quickness that you speak of and I thought he looked stiff on that play you are refering to on Bush - you call it containment and it was - but to me he looked like he was going to break in half.

I want to see more of him, but I just haven't been able to get a good look, the one chance where I thought I was going to really see something was aginst Philly - he was alone on the strong side in space and there was a receiver running right at him, about to make a cut...then the wistle blew and the play was dead. I really wonder how he would of handled that? That is the key to me...can he change direction and stay with someone when he is all alone in space? Because he is going to have to, you can't just try to put a space player in the perfect situation all game...it won't happen...coordinators aren't dumb...they will isolate him and he could get badly exposed. Or he may not - I just don't know - I'm waiting to find out.

I can also see Collins coming in and playing a bit of that role you have Wilson slotted in.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I like the fact that he's a veteran presence back there with all those young guys in the defensive backfield.  

He's also a thumper who may intimidate receivers.

Nobody was intimidated by the Pats safeties last year.  Hopefully, this season will be different. 

Rusty,  good breakdown. 

And they say you don't know anything about the game. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB has been hunting for a big nickel, an undersized linebacker who can run like a strong safety, for years and hasn't really found him.  Adrian Wilson, at 230 pounds, seems to fit the bill.  A real BB linebacker weighs 250 to 270 pounds, and the NFL average is around 240 pounds.

A good 230 pound safety can keep up with a 250 pound receiving tight end without getting hip-checked away.   At 6 foot 3, Adrian Wilson can adequately cover Gronk-height tight ends.   He can also occasionally step up to the line and hit a running back head-on because he outweighs the RB, an advantage that some safeties such as Bobzilla never had.  If a run-first offense is on the field on third and 1, Adrian can be the eighth man in the box but he can still adequately cover a receiver.  I'm not surprised to see him on the field in the first quarter. 

Jamie Collins can also play big nickel because he's fast and has huge levers with which to bat passes away, but Collins is still a rookie and has much to learn.  Collins is a bit heavy at 250, so he's pretty much a normal pass-coverage linebacker, not a tweener.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I have seen a lot of Wilson at camp. He has not looked good. 

He most likely makes this team because TWilson and Gregory have so many short comings. If either of Gregory or TWilson panned out, AWilson would not be here. Too many people I respect in the game (not Rusty) have commented AWilson lost it last year. 

Everything in camp has pointed to Collins playing the role envisioned for Wilson. 

I watched the game last week 3 times now. The 2nd half the back 4 was putrid. Wilson saw a lot of snaps the 2nd half. There is no telling other than the coaches who was at fault, but Wilson was on the field most of that time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Please comment on what u saw the 2nd half, and what everone else saw all of camp. Tku

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Was AWilson ever able to cover?

I have to admit this S position has me worried

Its funny we have a Saftey who can't cover and a DE who can
    and even vw can be in space.

But remember too, Lewis couldn't cover his own shadow and the Ravens won the SB.

I guess I see it like this - We have two D tackles that are beasts
    and then a slew of players that have talent and have to be in the right place and the right time - A la Spikes cornering Bush, or  negatively, Bush's screen where we got out of position.

I hope and believe that Collins becomes a force during the year. BB has a lot more tools to work with and he wiull have to show us some genius. This could be alot of fun or a nitemare. so i am going to hope rusty is right.

and like rkarp asked waht did you see

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

You can write down what you see on tv. This means you know football? Every preseason we see all these exotic formations, blitzes,etc that NEVER come out in regular season. The guys arent smart enough apparently. I recall us blitzing like crazy vs TB last year in preseason and everyone thought that was the year they would be agressive. Weve been doing this in preseason since Romeo was here. Only diff. is now, u dont see it again after August.

BB has failed for years trying this big nickel c rap, meanwhile just about EVERY team in the league has atleast ONE competent safety. Should be fun watching all 5 of our safeties form into one good one like Voltron this year. But how do you get 5 safeties on the field at once?!  My word...... WHY BB, WHY?????   My Goodness!  We cant draft a feeekin Safety! Rodney would look better than AW RIGHT NOW if we pulled him out his house. Seriously

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Rusty

No, i really can't and don't follow too many players. not my strength. Its why I like listening to the chatter here. Its also why I seldom make comments about players - outside of Tebow - lol. So  listening to most of the posts from most of the fans here, I know what to look for when the games come.

I can see value in AW and what he can bring. Sometimes it is hard to understand 2 different camps. I know that I heard somewhere that Gregory played well last half of last season-     I couldn't tell ya. At the same time I didn't think we had a WHAM at Safety. I do know that every team, every player has strengths and weaknesses and it is BB's job to solve this rubik's cube. I expect more exotic D's this year cause the talent is rising

I also know that the salary cap can be quicksand and BB is very good with it. (The other GM that I respect is Baltimore's Ozzie but i think he made a mistake with AB). And winning the SB is very, very difficult. RK,BB and TB have been remarkable, we just didn't get the breaks. At the same time I can get frustrated when BB seems to take players in the Draft that he could get later. Am less concerned with the FA's. ( my favorite on the team now is Nink) But then I have to go to the over all results.

So thanks for the input above. Like I said I hope you are right - I know if he is on the team I can only root for him.

(PS) We do have a slightly different take on TB, but to each our own. lol. 42 is a burr in my saddle and 46 is the one that got away, There are games TB sucked in (he said so himself) and there are games no one showed up, and games where we were playing without our full complement of weapons. And there are games we got lucky and those we didn't. But 42 still steams me with All Pro AS. How come we hear about WW and never that drop.(rhetorical ?) - but thats the way it was. I just hope this season is special. It could be very sweet.

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

McCourty hasnt played a full year of safety yet. Im not annointed him. If Adrian wilson cant play in the back end and UP at the line playing like a backer....ummmm, he is not a competent safety. He is like Woodson this year playing out of position at safety and looking bad. Linebackers we have. Its safeties we need. I dont care about your knowledge. It is fine without agenda, but pointing out formations doesnt require smarts. Your problem is talent evaluation and recognizing when a player is good and when he s*cks. You seem to have problems when they are on this team.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

He's not going anywhere...they need him in specific D situations and vs. specific Off. schemes (walk up SS in blitz or short yardage situations, in  "5" or "6" db situations)...and more than anything else, for schooling all those young safeties on the roster and fostering in-game D backfield communications.

I'd be fully surprised if he's not on the 53 man roster for game 1 and beyond

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

RKrap? Where did you go? Still waiting for you to source the play or plays.

I watched the game again. By my count, Wilson played 17 snaps out of 37 in the first half. He played the entire 2nd half. He had 5 tackles. He had 3 missed tackles. He had zero passes defended.

The Lions ran at will most of the game, with 2 back over 100 yards each. The Lions also dominated the 2nd half offensively, and Wilson was on the field the entire time.

One player does not make a defense....I get that...but AWilson makes the team because Gregory and TWilson are not playing well.

Exact same that I saw in camp...he is one and a half steps slow, and we have not seen him pressure the QB in practice or preseason games...maybe that is on hold for the season. COllins has looked better covering a TE.

Not much more to say...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

The all important 2nd drive of the third preseason game .  What kind of loser would start a topic such as this and be 97% of the posts on it?  Queenie! That's who.  Anything to defend BB's poor FA pickup of Wilson.... with all of that cap room to sign rental players, you'd think there would be someone that was not cut off the Cards for being old and slow.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

RKrap? Where did you go? Still waiting for you to source the play or plays.

I watched the game again. By my count, Wilson played 17 snaps out of 37 in the first half. He played the entire 2nd half. He had 5 tackles. He had 3 missed tackles. He had zero passes defended.

The Lions ran at will most of the game, with 2 back over 100 yards each. The Lions also dominated the 2nd half offensively, and Wilson was on the field the entire time.

One player does not make a defense....I get that...but AWilson makes the team because Gregory and TWilson are not playing well.

Exact same that I saw in camp...he is one and a half steps slow, and we have not seen him pressure the QB in practice or preseason games...maybe that is on hold for the season. COllins has looked better covering a TE.

Not much more to say...

LMAO

You expect people to believe this? How many more times do I need to write that the QBs don't throw in his direction?  When they did, it was a check down to Bush.

That's it. So, he's unlikely to have ANY passes defensed if they're avoiding him other than checkdowns to Bush.  

Pettigrew had 2 catches on him. Scheffler, zero, Fauria, zero.

The one catch, the first one Pettigrew had, Wilson had outstanding coverage, got his hand in there to knock it down, but it richocheted up into Pettigrew's chest, where he was barely able to hang on as he fell to the ground. It was a 6 yard gain. The horror! 

Did you see how when he was on the field, they couldn't convert a 1st down?

LMAO

He played in the second half with people who wom't even be here in a week.  Yet, you're judging his stat line or play in that situation?

LOL!

Try again. Corey Grissom, Scott Vallone, Vellano, and whoever else our D line was in the second half, aren't to be excused for run D in the second half, with somewhow and oddly pretending Wilson is responsible for any rushing yards in the second half.

Then, you say "one player does not make a defense".

Umm, no kidding, but how does that counter my points about HOW BB is using him in terms of strategic positioning on 3rd downs with the 1s in the first half?

The defense was OUTSTANDING! 4 turnovers and the D answered the bell at every turn, MINUS the TD where A. Wilson was not on the field? Coincidence? I think not.  

The only misplay from Wilson the entire game was him not realizing Mayo was going to so severley overrun the Bush check down play that went for 67 yards.  If Mayo uses the sideline to his advantage there and funnel Bush back, Wilson is right there making the tackle. So, he was in position there, too, if Mayo does not overpursue as the lead tackler. Weak contain by Mayo on that play.

Other than that, outstanding game at LB and Safety for Wilson. Even on the fake blitz play where Bush ran away from him to the weakside, where Wilson had to catch up from the strong side, through, traffic, he did, stride for stride. He forced him back inside to set the edge where his teammates made the play for another 3 and out execution. Excellent job, considering the designed route Detroit had drawn up.

There is no way you watched the game again. You're a liar.

Give specific examples or it looks like I've caught you lying again. All you're doing is regurgitating stats and then trying to make it seem like it's on Wilson,  which is VERY suspicious, considering I asked you for certain plays where you think he played poorly.

You still haven't done it. Looking at the box score and regurgitating pointless stats is not countering what I wrote on the first page of this thread.

If you can't play with the big boys in a debate, then don't post.

you are correct. he makes the team. pardon my opinion and thoughts, even though I saw him live 13 times and you saw him on TV once.

your 3rd drive of the game analysis is beyond comical...

if he is cut, will you go away?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

hey, did you see Reiss' chat today(he's your guy, right?)? he stated AWilson is clearly on the bubble, with Reiss leaning towards Wilson being cut due to his poor play this past week...

this in spite of your analysis on the 3rd drive....

I have been saying Wilson has shown pretty much nothing all preseason...I am not going so far as to say he will be cut, but he is clearly on the roster bubble..

I dont expect you to answer, you never do

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Also, you are exposed here as well, RKrap regarding Reiss's respect for BB, unlike yours:

Mike Reiss

I'll share a personal story here, Bobbie, and it ties in to something I respect about Bill Belichick and ties in to why I have enjoyed covering his teams. I had requested a meeting with him when I started covering the team. I was at the itsy-bitsy MetroWest Daily News in Framingham, Mass., at the time and he granted the meeting. We had a discussion in his office. I explained to him my philosophy on covering a team and my goals. He explained to me his philosophy on the media and whatnot (the essence of which was that he would attempt to treat everyone fairly, no matter who they were working for). I thought it was neat that he was willing to meet with the reporter from the "Daily Bugle" (Ty Law's words) and reflected his philosophy that it didn't matter where you came from, but he was going to judge you on your merits. I like that. Make no mistake, it isn't always easy. We have conflicting agendas at times. But I can't say I'd approach it much differently if I were in his shoes.

when have i ever questionrd Reiss' respect for anyone? he even respects felger!

you are putting words in my mouth and telling lies...again

Sections
Shortcuts