Second Half of Season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Second Half of Season

Since Bill Belichick became head coach in 2000, the Pats have gone 83-21 in the second half. They have gone 8-0 in the second half four times, and 7-1 three times under Belichick. With the Week 9 win against Pittsburgh, they’ve certainly gotten off on the right foot. 

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/11/bye_week_not_the_time_for_patriots_to_take_it_easy

It will be interesting to see how the patriots do in the second half of the season this year.  I'm okay w/ some losses here so long as they make the playoffs, and that the team is healthier heading into January and the playoffs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Re: Second Half of Season

In response to anonymis' comment:

Since Bill Belichick became head coach in 2000, the Pats have gone 83-21 in the second half. They have gone 8-0 in the second half four times, and 7-1 three times under Belichick. With the Week 9 win against Pittsburgh, they’ve certainly gotten off on the right foot. 

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/11/bye_week_not_the_time_for_patriots_to_take_it_easy

It will be interesting to see how the patriots do in the second half of the season this year.  I'm okay w/ some losses here so long as they make the playoffs, and that the team is healthier heading into January and the playoffs.

Good post...   This is a significant feather in BBs hat , since it proves beyond any doubt that his teams IMPROVE, or at least stay consistent while other teams fade.  The catch is that it is just a regular season stat.

But hey...  those Ws get you in position.  Next time they finish it off...

Looking at this team on its bye week, You gotta feel good.  Brady finally gets to be himself, the D just getting some time to gather itself after taking some hits...  bye came at a good time. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Figure ay 7-2, only need 3 more wins and in playoffs...to get a bye need 5 wins 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:

I wouldn't say 3 more. 4 to be safe. Remember 08' 11 wins didn't even get us in and you have to figure at this point either Den or KC will get 1 wild card. The Jets are still hanging around that second wild card at 5-4 and there are a whole host of teams right there for that 2nd wild card. 11-5 seems like it should get us in 10-6 might come down to tie breakers. The other issue with the bye is Cin is only 1 behind us and have the tie breaker so if they win out we need to win out to get the bye. I'd say we have to go 13-3 just to be safe this year for a bye.

The good news is the Pats seem to crank it up as it gets colder. The bad news is their schedule gets harder from this point on and the injures are really starting to take their toll. It's really becoming appearent on the D so they need to get Talib and Gregory back with hopes that Sopo can make an impact in the run game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

anonymis...    I'll say this in advance of what I expect will be similar comments to come from Rusty..  Why can't all this second half success translate throughout the playoffs with at least a couple more SB titles, not just appearances in the SB?

As noted by others here, the Pats definitely show improvement and putting the pedal to the metal in the second half of the season.  Then, for some reason, it runs out of gas in the playoffs to some extent.  They may make it all the way to the SB, but, the level of play does not approach the dominance the team exhibited overall in the second half in compiling 8 - 0 or 7 - 1 second half records.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to ccsjl's comment:

I wouldn't say 3 more. 4 to be safe. Remember 08' 11 wins didn't even get us in and you have to figure at this point either Den or KC will get 1 wild card. The Jets are still hanging around that second wild card at 5-4 and there are a whole host of teams right there for that 2nd wild card. 11-5 seems like it should get us in 10-6 might come down to tie breakers. The other issue with the bye is Cin is only 1 behind us and have the tie breaker so if they win out we need to win out to get the bye. I'd say we have to go 13-3 just to be safe this year for a bye.

The good news is the Pats seem to crank it up as it gets colder. The bad news is their schedule gets harder from this point on and the injures are really starting to take their toll. It's really becoming appearent on the D so they need to get Talib and Gregory back with hopes that Sopo can make an impact in the run game.

Hard to ignore those glaring facts...  but Brady returning to that kind of form makes me feel good about this teams chances going forward.  I  see the offense staying aggressive and going for those shots down the field. ..  Maybe putting in some trick plays to keep Ds on their heels.  Teams need to fear Brady again.  They weren't until last sunday.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

anonymis...    I'll say this in advance of what I expect will be similar comments to come from Rusty..  Why can't all this second half success translate throughout the playoffs with at least a couple more SB titles, not just appearances in the SB?

As noted by others here, the Pats definitely show improvement and putting the pedal to the metal in the second half of the season.  Then, for some reason, it runs out of gas in the playoffs to some extent.  They may make it all the way to the SB, but, the level of play does not approach the dominance the team exhibited overall in the second half in compiling 8 - 0 or 7 - 1 second half records.

It is a valid point.  IMO, it's because  the Patriots have had to rely on the offense to win games while the defense was already overachieving in the playoffs.  Playoff losses were due to the offense getting shut down, and the defense not making stops when we needed to, plus, the coaches (including BB) not learing from his previous games against the same teams. they were most certainly TEAM losses; regardless of what some fans might claim otherwise

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

anonymis....   until the injuries that occurred to key players on the defense, this season appeared to be going along like it would be different.  By different, I mean the team had a defense developing in which the offense would not be needed as it was in the past to overcome the lack of "stopping" power needed late in games.  Now, it appears the offense if gearing up and the D needs to find itself with many new players to fit in.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

The New England Patriots hit their bye week at an impressive 7-2, atop the AFC East with a two-game lead and currently sitting in second place in the conference. If the playoffs started today, the Pats would have a first-round bye for the fourth straight season.

The Patriots will face two big tests coming out of the bye, but then end the season with five straight games against teams currently without winning records.

Things look bright for the Patriots' playoff chances, with Football Outsiders having them a near lock at 93.9 percent. Their most likely seed according to Football Outsiders? The fourth (30.9 percent) or third (30.0 percent), with a 20.1 percent shot at the second seed and a bye.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1833893-patriots-playoff-picture-analyzing-the-latest-outlook-for-new-england

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Angel-of-Light. Show Angel-of-Light's posts

I don't really think that the second half schedule is more difficult than the first half. Two tough games back to back then mediocre opponents in the last 5 games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

When all is said and done, play the games one at a time.  Records don't matter as each opponent will try just as hard as the Pats to win the game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Pats have only two hard games left.  The biggest game of the season is up next, when they play the formidable Carolina Panthers in Carolina.  I demote Denver to second place because Denver isn't doing what they used to do, especially on defense but also they just lost their head coach.  Lately Denver has had trouble with Dallas, Indy and (what??) Jacksonville at home.

The Buffalo game in week 17 will be a paper tiger if Buffalo is already eliminated from the playoffs.  On the other hand, the Patriots may possibly (but probably won't) have some playoff slot already sewn up in week 17.  The paper tiger moniker might possibly be applied to the Miami game in week 15 if their playoff odds are down below 2% or so, and Baltimore in week 16 seems to be taking the gas pipe too.  Houston is lately turning into a train wreck.  Cleveland at home?  Meh.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

When all is said and done, play the games one at a time.  Records don't matter as each opponent will try just as hard as the Pats to win the game.

Yep.  Once in the playoffs, regular season record means nothing and once you lose you go home. Just make it to the playoffs, baby.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I'd be shocked if this team doesn't win 12 games.  It will be interesting to see what its personality will be come playoff time and hopefully they can win the war of attrition on the defensive side of the ball. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Why can't all this second half success translate throughout the playoffs with at least a couple more SB titles, not just appearances in the SB?

Just bad luck ... helmet catch, Welker drop ...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

@Carolina = tough. Cam's running ability will make for big issue with our LB situation. hopefully they let Fletcher handle that. and Carolina has a good front 7 and we struggle with teams like that.

Denver = game of the year for us. can't see them coming out and laying an egg. also think he matchup fairly well with that team. still a close call.

@Houston = difficult. this year wants revenge. we TWICE made them look like a JV team last year. i think they will come out to play and we have historically stuggled to play IN houston. (2003, 23-20 OT. 2009 34-27 L) another tough one

Cleveland = trap game. good defensive team. but i think if the pats show up and do their job it should be a win.

@Miami = before this whole Incoginto/Martin debacle I'd lean toward an L but they are just so disorganized and a mess i cant see them winning many more games..... should be a win

@Baltimore = don't care about this team's record. they will probably somehoe go on a run and try to grab the 6th seed in the AFC and this certainly will be a tough game. this team has our number. yes, its a whole different ravens team but they still have FLacco (who plays All-Pro against us always) it'll for sure be toguh but i think the Pats want revenge on this team. bad.

Buffalo= every year one game against buffalo is close and the other is a blowout. hopefully (and probably) they stick to that path.

i don't like making straight game to game predictions becuase any given sunday we can lose. i see an easy 11 and tops 13. we'll see.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

It is a valid point.  IMO, it's because  the Patriots have had to rely on the offense to win games while the defense was already overachieving in the playoffs.  Playoff losses were due to the offense getting shut down, and the defense not making stops when we needed to, plus, the coaches (including BB) not learing from his previous games against the same teams. they were most certainly TEAM losses; regardless of what some fans might claim otherwise

HeapHeap

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Here's a breakdown of the Patriots' won/loss record since 2000.

year/1st half/2nd half/playoffs

2000  2-6  3-5
    2001  4-4  7-1  3-0  SB Champ
    2002  4-4  5-3
    2003  6-2  8-0  3-0  SB Champ
    2004  7-1  7-1  3-0  SB Champ
    2005  4-4  6-2  1-1
    2006  6-2  6-2  2-1  AFC Runner up
    2007  8-0  8-0  2-1  SB Runner up
    2008  5-3  6-2
    2009  6-2  4-4  0-1
    2010  6-2  8-0  0-1
    2011  5-3  8-0  2-1  SB Runner up
    2012  5-3  7-1  1-1  AFC Runner up
    2013  6-2  1-0

The 2003, 2004 and 2007 teams were dominant. Bad luck was the fate of the 2007 team. We all want a return to dominance. Why wouldn't we. Just don't expect it. Enjoy what we had, those were once-in-a-lifetime teams. That doesn't mean this Patriots team can't win another super bowl. It just means it won't be easy. Think 2001.

Sections
Shortcuts