Secondary in shambles?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Secondary in shambles?

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Another year of totally lost DB's giving up first downs on 3rd and 25, Bewildered CB and S looking at each other as wide open WR trot in for TD's and End Zone Pass Interference Calls.

Dear Lord please give Tom Brady the strength to deliver us, once again, from this steaming pile of [****].  Amen.

LOL!!! Hilarious...but...at the same time, both sad, and true.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skinnyrexraptor. Show skinnyrexraptor's posts

Yeah...I'm worried that for yet another consecutive year we are facing the same terror...a lead late in the game against a team with a decent QB and passing game.....Gregory is always a day late and a dollar short when covering TE's....how many times last year did I have to watch his back turned toward the QB while the TE he was nominally covering was catching a pass for a TD! Nope...it's gonna be another long and gut tightening year watching our DB's...and having two rookies back there is not comforting...they really don't fare well against vet WR's and QB's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well the safety spot won't be improved, but we do have Talib for a full season and hopefully Dennard will be around long enough to help. We do have McCourty at the free safety spot as well, which hopefully will bring good things. I actually like Cole...I think he's better than some of the hot garbage that we've rolled out there over the last five years. I think Arrington might be better served at safety...wouldn't that be something? Another corner that can't play corner, making a switch to safety...could happen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Another year of totally lost DB's giving up first downs on 3rd and 25, Bewildered CB and S looking at each other as wide open WR trot in for TD's and End Zone Pass Interference Calls.

Dear Lord please give Tom Brady the strength to deliver us, once again, from this steaming pile of [****].  Amen.

Good lyrics.  Now we just need the melody and this could be the pre-game fight song.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

[QUOTE]

Good lyrics.  Now we just need the melody and this could be the pre-game fight song.

[/QUOTE]

March to the Witch's Castle (Funkadelic)?

February 12th, 1973

The prayers of thousands were answered

The war was over, and the first of the prisoners returned

Needless to say, it was the happiest day in up to thirteen years for most

For others, the real nightmare had just begun

The nightmare of readjustment

And for those, we will pray

Whooa-ohh-ohhh

Whooa-ohh-ohhh

Whoa-oh oh-oh oh-oh oh-oh-oh whooaaa

(x 5)

Father, bless the soldier who has returned home from the war

He has fought with all his might

Yet he knew not for what or who he was fighting for 

Death waited in the shadows as he crawled by night for his country

His enemies was many, including the habit he still cannot break

Father, we pray that we might understand what has happened to his mind

And help us understand his reaction 

To the changes that has taken place here at home

And father, smile upon us, with your grace, for we will need you more than ever

Help him understand, that when his loved one remarried

They were truly under the impression that he was dead

And never would return

Oh lord, we pray

And father, why must wars be fought?

Someone said this war ended with "Peace with honor"

But can there truly be?

Is there such a thing?

Thousands of boys gave their life, and for what?

Do anybody know?

Oh lord, give us the strength to understand ourselves

For we are mysterious animals, man

And as the boys march home to the witch's castle

They will all need your help

I can hear them calling, calling out for you, father

For there is no one else that can help

Smile upon us, oh lord

For we are very weak

Very weak

Very weak

Very weak

Very weak

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to HOTBLITZ's comment:

A. Wilson to IR.

Dowling cut.

Dennard most likely to miss time soon due to probation violation.

Definitely going to be the achilles heal again this year. Sad cause lots of guys lingered around on the market for a while.

NMandi, Ed Reed, Kerry Rhodes, all those original free agent corners( Grimes, S. Smith, D. Robinson and a slew of others who I can't recall off hand but will find them if asked to.

I may get ripped for this thread title but you know what, our secondary has been atrocious for years and it looks to be more of the same this year.

On the bright side I think we have the second or third best front 7 in the league, but again your only as good as your weakest link.

Most, if not all, of those guys are old, slow or overated and not any better than what the Pats have now and would have cost two or three other players due to the cap hit for them.

And Denard is not "most likely to miss time" since nobody knows yet if he violated his probation. And I say that because in this country, suspicion of something is not guilty of something. At worst it is a 50/50 proposition.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

I hear what you saying. On offense there's the potential of being amazing or terrible to be honest.

Maybe it'll be a bonanza.  I certainly hope so.

[/QUOTE]

I do nto get what you all are thinking when you are unsure about this offense. Come playoff time it is another story as they need to step up and play good O for 60 minutes. But if this is not the best O in the league it is top 3. Period.

It starts with O line. THis time has a very good and balanced O line AND depth at O line.

Then you have to have a QB. TB is the most efficient in the league and is a top 3 QB.

THen you need guys to catch the ball. Gronk (who will not miss a whole lot of time unless, like anyone in the league, he gets hurt again) is THE BEST. Sudfeld is a BETTER receiver than AH (just not quite as dynamic in agility but BETTER hands). DA is all pro caliber WR. Edelman is solid. Thompkins is a REVELATION. He will be a very solid WR all over the field all year. Only DA will catch more passes. Dobson is good at this stage and adds special strengths. Boyce dito. Then you have Vereen. One of the better RBs going downfield as a receiver.

THen you add RBs. Ri9sldey is a top 10 feature back. Not a game changer but a very good featuer back. Vereen is good and offers some different skills and lots of play making ability. Blount (to my surprise) adds play making skills AS YOUR #3 RB! Bolden adds other skills as a RB to spell Ridley etc. 

There is not a single hole in this O. Injuries can change things quickly BUT THAT IS TRUE FOR EVERY TEAM. EVERY TEAM.

So enjoy this O. It is special. Again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

A. Wilson to IR.

Dowling cut.

Definitely going to be the achilles heal again this year. Sad cause lots of guys lingered around on the market for a while.

NMandi, Ed Reed, Kerry Rhodes, all those original free agent corners( Grimes, S. Smith, D. Robinson and a slew of others who I can't recall off hand but will find them if asked to.

I may get ripped for this thread title but you know what, our secondary has been atrocious for years and it looks to be more of the same this year.

On the bright side I think we have the second or third best front 7 in the league, but again your only as good as your weakest link.

The biggest issue for the secondary in the past was time together. More than ANY other unit on the field, seconday gelling and cohesiveness takes a lot of time. We saw signs that they were coming together last year and i believe it will be significantly seen this season. As always, as is the case for every team, if we remain relatively healthy this season, our secondary will be a strength. Again, time together will prove most valuable even over finding new guys on the wire. We have enough talent there as AW was clearly on the bubble and Ras was never a real factor for us. 

Always enjoy reading your posts.

You sound like someone that might have actually played the game.

Level-headed comments are nice for a change.  There seems to be not enough of those but plenty of doom and gloom.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Well the safety spot won't be improved, but we do have Talib for a full season and hopefully Dennard will be around long enough to help. We do have McCourty at the free safety spot as well, which hopefully will bring good things. I actually like Cole...I think he's better than some of the hot garbage that we've rolled out there over the last five years. I think Arrington might be better served at safety...wouldn't that be something? Another corner that can't play corner, making a switch to safety...could happen.

I will grant you that preseason was not especially encouraging regarding safeties. But preseason is preseason. ANd the history of BB teams is that the D gets better through the phases of the season. 

I still expect the S play to be better than last year. Why? We have a rookie who MIGHT add value especially late in the year. We have Gregory with anothyer year and time with DMC under his belt. We have T Wilson entering second year and I still expect SOME improvement from him over rookie year... even if it is not as much as we should get.

AND ... this is important but not a reflection of talent in secondary.... I expect the pass rush to be improved. I think Kelly and Buchanan will add noticably to pass rush. MAYBE even Armstead later but I wont count on him at all yet. And Nink should get rotation rest which historically has shown him playing better. PLus Hightower, Spikes and especially Jones should deliver more over 16 games than last year. Add it all up and it is noticable improvement. The result will be better "play" downfield as QBs have to rush their passes more than last year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

I will grant you that preseason was not especially encouraging regarding safeties. But preseason is preseason. ANd the history of BB teams is that the D gets better through the phases of the season. 

I still expect the S play to be better than last year. Why? We have a rookie who MIGHT add value especially late in the year. We have Gregory with anothyer year and time with DMC under his belt. We have T Wilson entering second year and I still expect SOME improvement from him over rookie year... even if it is not as much as we should get.

AND ... this is important but not a reflection of talent in secondary.... I expect the pass rush to be improved. I think Kelly and Buchanan will add noticably to pass rush. MAYBE even Armstead later but I wont count on him at all yet. And Nink should get rotation rest which historically has shown him playing better. PLus Hightower, Spikes and especially Jones should deliver more over 16 games than last year. Add it all up and it is noticable improvement. The result will be better "play" downfield as QBs have to rush their passes more than last year.

Yeah, fair points, I expect to see some improvement - I think the problem is that some were hoping for dramatic improvement (myself included) seeing how this has been a rebuilding process that has taken five years.

I look at the scecondary and I've got to be honest, it looks like Talib and Dennard, then a bunch of guys that could go either way. I know Bill will have them ready - and there are guys that could certainly surprise and improve - but we've been saying that for a long time. So I expect some improvement, it's just a question of, is that enough after all this time? After all the guys that have come and gone? After all the second round draft picks and free agent signings? Too me that is the questions.

I'm thinking Collins is going to have to cover some tight ends this year - and he should - these second selections have received enough free passes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

In response to RallyC's comment:

A. Wilson to IR.

Dowling cut.

The biggest issue for the secondary in the past was time together. More than ANY other unit on the field, seconday gelling and cohesiveness takes a lot of time. We saw signs that they were coming together last year and i believe it will be significantly seen this season. As always, as is the case for every team, if we remain relatively healthy this season, our secondary will be a strength. Again, time together will prove most valuable even over finding new guys on the wire. We have enough talent there as AW was clearly on the bubble and Ras was never a real factor for us. 

Always enjoy reading your posts.

You sound like someone that might have actually played the game.

Level-headed comments are nice for a change.  There seems to be not enough of those but plenty of doom and gloom.

Thanks, Sal. I assure you that I've had my lapses in judgement here too, as several would be happy to attest. And you are correct. I have actually played the game at the highest level back in the day CB/S. I love it still and am a comprehensive, Boston sports fanatic. BUT, not so much of a homer that it clouds my analysis of the Pats. That said, i believe this will be another very successful and special season for all of us!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

With A. Wilson down, we'll see soon enough just how badly that T. Wilson pick will hurt the defense.  Biggest BB draft blunder ever. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

With A. Wilson down, we'll see soon enough just how badly that T. Wilson pick will hurt the defense.  Biggest BB draft blunder ever. 

tied for takeaways for all rookie safeties, played 43% of the snaps on D and was a significant contributer on all ST's.  What a slouch!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

[QUOTE]

tied for takeaways for all rookie safeties, played 43% of the snaps on D and was a significant contributer on all ST's.  What a slouch!

[/QUOTE]

I'm not concerned about special teams.  I want our 48th pick to make a diference at Safety. He has not progressed much in practice and has looked awful in every preseason game THIS YEAR.

Even the Globe has projected Harmon ahead of Wilson THIS YEAR.

"Although Adrian Wilson has looked mediocre thus far in the preseason, he was still a better option at the position than the safeties behind him on the roster. Each of the Patriots’ backups have serious flaws that prevent them from being impact playmakers at the safety position. Duron Harmon is too raw to start right away, Tavon Wilson looks more and more like a draft bust with each passing day, and Steve Gregory is a poor tackler. If any of these defenders were forced to start, the team will likely have another season where the secondary lets them down. The Patriots would be much better off signing an established veteran to take some of the pressure off both the newcomers and Gregory. In any case, this development should be very concerning to you if you are a fan of the Patriots. For me personally, I think back to how the Patriots’ decision to pass on signing Ed Reed this offseason was a colossal mistake. They would have had a healthy player that is arguably the best safety to ever play the game. Instead, they signed an “injured” player that may never play a down for the Patriots, or perhaps the entire NFL ever again."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not concerned about special teams.  I want our 48th pick to make a diference at Safety. He has not progressed much in practice and has looked awful in every preseason game THIS YEAR.

Even the Globe has projected Harmon ahead of Wilson THIS YEAR.

"Although Adrian Wilson has looked mediocre thus far in the preseason, he was still a better option at the position than the safeties behind him on the roster. Each of the Patriots’ backups have serious flaws that prevent them from being impact playmakers at the safety position. Duron Harmon is too raw to start right away, Tavon Wilson looks more and more like a draft bust with each passing day, and Steve Gregory is a poor tackler. If any of these defenders were forced to start, the team will likely have another season where the secondary lets them down. The Patriots would be much better off signing an established veteran to take some of the pressure off both the newcomers and Gregory. In any case, this development should be very concerning to you if you are a fan of the Patriots. For me personally, I think back to how the Patriots’ decision to pass on signing Ed Reed this offseason was a colossal mistake. They would have had a healthy player that is arguably the best safety to ever play the game. Instead, they signed an “injured” player that may never play a down for the Patriots, or perhaps the entire NFL ever again."

[/QUOTE]

So you just ignore the turnovers and the fact they trust him in coverage against TE's. You might be ultimately right on Wilson but can we at least see what the plan is for him and how he executes before we bury a guy who a a nose for the football last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Hopefully our front 7 can cover up our terrible secondary..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Is BB planning to have Edelman doing double time at DB again this season?

Living well is the best revenge.