secondary not looking good

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

secondary not looking good

again, this seems to be the biggest problem

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: secondary not looking good

I think your expectations may be a bit high.  Other teams will complete passes, and they will make TD's.  It's just how many.  Last night the starters gave up zero points.  The backups gave up 14.  They gave up 180 total passing yards, zero passing TD's, and the Bucs were 2 for 12 on third down.  the Bucs QB's combined had a 46% completion percentage and their starter had a rating of 57.5 (Johnson 32.7, Carpenter 80.4).  And they got an INT. 

That sort of secondary performance will win every game.

By comparison the vaunted triple threat secondary of the eagles where Aso, Rodgers Cromartie, and Samuel played gave up 260 yards 65% completion, 3 passing TD's, ratings of 140.6, 129.2, and 96.8.  Pittsburgh (last years number 1 defense)- Secondary- 62% completion, 237 yards given up, 2 passing TD's.

Pats last game, 42% completion by Jags, 95 passing yards, 0 passing TD's, 1 INT, 71.1 rating by Gabbert.

They are playing very well so far.  Far better than last year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

I believe that this secondary is much improved.  A healthy Bodden makes a big difference on the other side.  However, Arrington has improved and wants to get in there. Personally, I wish they'd settle the Meriweather situation once and for all..start going with a long-term solution ASAP (i.e trade, etc).  Of course, the line should make the secondary better, as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

okay- it just seems arrington is the third corner- and - am i wrong- he is the third corner not because he can cover, but because he can reliably tackle the receiver after he caught the ball-
    i wont even go into the meriweather thing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: secondary not looking good:
    [QUOTE]okay- it just seems arrington is the third corner- and - am i wrong- he is the third corner not because he can cover, but because he can reliably tackle the receiver after he caught the ball- i wont even go into the meriweather thing
    Posted by patthepatriot666[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, there is room for improvement there, and somebody needs to establish themselves as the second safety but I think the Pats are as deep in the secondary as most teams and if the pash rush continues the way it has a couple of mediocre guys in the secondary will be plenty good enough.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

they only gave up 7 points on the D.  The O gave up the other 7 on an interception

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Tough crowd. So if an opposing QB completes a pass it's somebody's fault?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Chung cant cover the pass. I like Chung but he's going to get targeted, a lot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]I think your expectations may be a bit high.  Other teams will complete passes, and they will make TD's.  It's just how many.  Last night the starters gave up zero points.  The backups gave up 14.  They gave up 180 total passing yards, zero passing TD's, and the Bucs were 2 for 12 on third down.  the Bucs QB's combined had a 46% completion percentage and their starter had a rating of 57.5 (Johnson 32.7, Carpenter 80.4).  And they got an INT.  That sort of secondary performance will win every game. By comparison the vaunted triple threat secondary of the eagles where Aso, Rodgers Cromartie, and Samuel played gave up 260 yards 65% completion, 3 passing TD's, ratings of 140.6, 129.2, and 96.8.  Pittsburgh (last years number 1 defense)- Secondary- 62% completion, 237 yards given up, 2 passing TD's. Pats last game, 42% completion by Jags, 95 passing yards, 0 passing TD's, 1 INT, 71.1 rating by Gabbert. They are playing very well so far.  Far better than last year.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Thanks for putting it back into perspective. This is by far a vast improvement over last year's 3rd down statistics.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoLongHarryTruman. Show SoLongHarryTruman's posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the secondary is still playing soft. When BB starts game planning things will probably tighten up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

too early I would say with only 2 pre-season games just played.  Guys are moving in and out - etc....BUT with our new and improved Front 7, (which Ellis and Haynesworth haven't even been in yet) - this should and will HELP our secondary out big time...I think they'll be fine when the bell rings! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

i also thought they played good...and i dont even remember seeing bodden...

i dont really get this  "safties cant cover the pass" thing.... safeties cover te's and Rb's  not wr's...  strong safties support the run...free safeties roam the field deep and "help" out on deep balls or over the middle...

i dont recall ed reed playing man to man on speedy wideouts...or troy polomalu doing that either... they anticipate the play and get into position by virtue of intincts, skill and athleticsm to be around the ball.... i think chung does that very well.....   merriweather is hit or miss

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

One touchdown came on an interception, so the defense only gave up one score

[QUOTE]I think your expectations may be a bit high.  Other teams will complete passes, and they will make TD's.  It's just how many.  Last night the starters gave up zero points.  The backups gave up 14.  They gave up 180 total passing yards, zero passing TD's, and the Bucs were 2 for 12 on third down.  the Bucs QB's combined had a 46% completion percentage and their starter had a rating of 57.5 (Johnson 32.7, Carpenter 80.4).  And they got an INT.  That sort of secondary performance will win every game. By comparison the vaunted triple threat secondary of the eagles where Aso, Rodgers Cromartie, and Samuel played gave up 260 yards 65% completion, 3 passing TD's, ratings of 140.6, 129.2, and 96.8.  Pittsburgh (last years number 1 defense)- Secondary- 62% completion, 237 yards given up, 2 passing TD's. Pats last game, 42% completion by Jags, 95 passing yards, 0 passing TD's, 1 INT, 71.1 rating by Gabbert. They are playing very well so far.  Far better than last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

As shenanigan pointed out, our Pass D has been anything but bad.

Less then 300 yards allowed over two game total is impressive. Starters were dominating the Josh Freeman led offense and that is without Shaun Ellis/Albert Haynesworth adding added pressure. If our Dline and scheme can continue to bring this kind of heat during the regular season, our secondary will have a field day.

Hell, after watching these two games, I'm confident enough to say we might have a top 15 pass D as compared to last years D which was ranked 30th overall I believe?

Once BB starts scheming and ALL the starters are out there, I can see an even more impressive pass D on display.

I do agree on one point though, Meri has not looked good at all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

ZERO FIRST HALF POINTS AND YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT THE SECONDARY?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

Uhh, we held the opposing starting QB to a 57.5 QB Rating, and his backup to a 364. 

Not sure what else you want.

PS pretty funny--look who is the leagues 2d leading passer by yards :)
    http://www.nfl.com/stats/player

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Maybe the secondary was not standout, but to say not looking good, I think thats a stretch.  Guys are gonna catch passes, this is the NFL.

When the starters were out there, I saw nothing to really complain about and nothing that wont be corrected in the next couple weeks.  The secondary is gonna look great once that D-line comes together, believe me.  Im not worried about that.  Lets just fast forward to the playoffs cuz we know this team will dominate reg. season, but its the postseason im worried about based on last 2 years outcome.  BUT, its gonna be too exicting to skip...so let the season begin already...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

the first string D didnt give any points  and the
    Bucs got their points off a turn over and garbarge time against the reserves

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

some people dont have a clue. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbalance617. Show jbalance617's posts

Killer stats dude!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbalance617. Show jbalance617's posts

[QUOTE]Disagree.  The D has allowed one TD in two preseason games with no gameplan focus, etc. I actually thought Butler looked ok last night.  They played mostly man last night it appeared and Bodden barely played.  I also like what Sergio Brown brings.  This will be a top notch secondary when it's all said and done.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on Sergio Brown. I don't want to get my hopes high on preseason games but he looks pretty solid. He been making sure tackles and at 6'2 210 he has great size at the safety position.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

I'll worry about the secondary when their four starters are all playing together and they get torched for 400 yards and 4 TDs.

We haven't seen that yet.

Bodden-McCourty-Sanders-Chung (assuming those are the 4 starters on opening night), is a solid group. It's not spectacular, and it's not Law-Poole-Wilson-Harrison from 2003, but if the pass rush improves as much as it appears it has (so far), then it's a group that's good enough.

25. This post has been removed.