secondary terrible

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

secondary terrible

I trust in BB but this secondary stinks. Wilhite can't cover or tackle, Butler has a looong way to go and Wheatley has broken the same wrist 3 times now and is affraid to tackle anyone plus he's EB size. We haven't seen Springs yet.

I think its time to sign Ty Law.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickDesper. Show RickDesper's posts

Re: secondary terrible

It seemed to me that the Pats were giving the rookies and sophomores a lot of snaps.  I'm impressed with the athleticism but they still need to learn a bit more.  Let's keep in mind that the biggest missed coverage was on the Cooley catch, which was due to LB play. 

Ty Law is no longer an elite CB. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Lol. 

Meriweather is primed to break out and did so last year with very limited time. Sanders is a suitable starter while Chung develops.

Bodden best corner since Ty left town (yes better than Asante)

That number 2 corner spot is the most worrisome. Wilhite is garbage and is a nickel corner and for some reason is being put at the number 2 spot reminds me so much of the Ellis Hobbs situation. A corner who would excel so much more at nickel but is being forced into a different role because of development issues with other players.

Butler is still a rookie and working on improving. 

Wheatley my god has looked absolutley putrid this preseason and Springs hasnt played a down yet.

If I had to pick starters I would say Bodden and Butler just due to the fact that Butler can make the sure tackle better than say Wilhite can and has played aganist better talent in college.

Im worried but not lets calling up good ol washed up Ty Law.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Our secondary will stink until about mid-season.  Too many new folks, and we lost a veteran leader.  Even if every pickup is a stud, we will not look good until they've played several games together.  If they look like this after mid-season, I'll be worrying too.  I just can't imagine a scenario where you have entirely new corners, lose your veteran safety, and have a new role for your remaining safety, and play like a polished secondary this early.  Unless we find a great pass rush, our offense will need to carry the team in the first half of the season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Re: secondary terrible:
    Lol.  Meriweather is primed to break out and did so last year with very limited time. Sanders is a suitable starter while Chung develops. Bodden best corner since Ty left town (yes better than Asante) That number 2 corner spot is the most worrisome. Wilhite is garbage and is a nickel corner and for some reason is being put at the number 2 spot reminds me so much of the Ellis Hobbs situation. A corner who would excel so much more at nickel but is being forced into a different role because of development issues with other players. Butler is still a rookie and working on improving.  Wheatley my god has looked absolutley putrid this preseason and Springs hasnt played a down yet. If I had to pick starters I would say Bodden and Butler just due to the fact that Butler can make the sure tackle better than say Wilhite can and has played aganist better talent in college. Im worried but not lets calling up good ol washed up Ty Law.
    Posted by Pancakespwn

The secondary stinks. And calling Bodden better than Asante immediately means you lose all credibility on anything else in this ridiculous post.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

Chung,Wilhite and Butler have great potential (wilhite pic six,butler's fumble recoveries and int)but need a lot more coaching on tackling and containment.Wheatly continues to struggle.Bodden looks good so far.This should be a defining year for the Sanders/Meriweather duo,while Springs is a big ? The best way to help a young secondary is to pressure the qb with our vet d-line and olb's.Campbell had too much time in friday's game against our 1st string and wasn't sacked once.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Re: secondary terrible:
     Chung,Wilhite and Butler have great potential (wilhite pic six,butler's fumble recoveries and int)but need a lot more coaching on tackling and containment.Wheatly continues to struggle.Bodden looks good so far.This should be a defining year for the Sanders/Meriweather duo,while Springs is a big ? The best way to help a young secondary is to pressure the qb with our vet d-line and olb's.Campbell had too much time in friday's game against our 1st string and wasn't sacked once.
    Posted by cowtherabbit-

I am constantly reminded about what Bill Parcells used to say about "potential." Look, if this is a Supoer Bowl-ready team, we don;t need "potential" or ?'s in the defensive backfield. These bums are making Hobbs look good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

Sorry Bob, but when you discuss 3 players with a combined experience of 1 year,all you really have is potential.It's what you look for in draft picks. What are your suggestions on how the secondary can get better?FA's? Trades?Earthwind Moreland?Spiderman?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

Bodden looks good and Butler is showing high potential.  He'll be competing for the other starting position all season and I think by next year he'll be our best CB.  I dont feel like Wilhite has looked bad and he did miss a large portion of training camp.  He did have a pretty good read on that pick six against the 'skins.  By the end of the season I can see all 3 of them being very reliable.  I think its a little early to say our cb's are bad considering its only preseason and none of them have more than a year experience on the team.  Safety position seems to be solid and I expect to see a lot more int's from the secondary this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from antleite. Show antleite's posts

The secondary will make or break this season for the pats. Defense by far is more of a concern then the offense. The defense line and linebackers currently has enough studs to be above average but our secondary is where our true weakness is. It's going to be a long season if we cant defense/stop the passing plays.

Sections
Shortcuts