Seems being "duped" is not good enough for some

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Seems being "duped" is not good enough for some

“Don’t touch me! Don’t question me! Don’t speak to me!”

— Estragon, in Samuel Beckett’s “Waiting for Godot”

We are Waiting for Belichick.

We want to ask him questions.

We want to hear him speak.

All across New England, all across Football America, the silence is deafening.

Star tight end Aaron Hernandez has been jailed on a charge of murder in the first degree.

No comment from Coach Bill.

Starting cornerback Alfonzo Dennard, already facing jail time next year in Nebraska, has been arrested on a charge of driving under the influence, a violation of his probation.

Not a word has been heard from the tight-lipped, taciturn coach.

The “Patriot Way” is being questioned, but Belichick isn’t providing any answers.

Team owner Robert Kraft said he was “duped” by Hernandez, to whom he gave a five-year, $40-million contract extension last year that included more than $16 million in guaranteed money.

What’s Belichick’s excuse going to be?

He’s the guy who drafted Hernandez and Dennard. He’s the guy who has the final say on all the players the Patriots pick. He’s the guy who decides which free agents to sign. He’s the guy who decides where and when to play them, as well as when to let them go.

A player is perceived as a risk?

Belichick decides whether to take it.

So what does he have to say about all that’s happening with the Patriots — all the controversy, all the turmoil, the ongoing uproar that’s swirling daily around the team?

So far, nothing.

Not a word.

He’s not around. He’s on vacation. And, at least in his mind, what’s been going on with his team hasn’t been enough to bring him back.

It’s just not that important, apparently.

And what would he say, anyway?

His classic line of “It is what it is?”

One of the few things Belichick hates more than losing, or turnovers, or foolish penalties, is having to explain himself.

The character questions surrounding so many players signed by the Patriots in recent years go unanswered by the man who brought those players to Foxboro.

Unless you consider “We do what we think is best for the football team” to be an explanation.

The Patriots are Belichick’s team more than they are Kraft’s team.

Kraft owns it. But it is Belichick who built it.

And if it’s starting to crumble after more than a decade of dominance — the Patriots have lost at home in the playoffs in three of the last four years, after having gone 7-0 in Foxboro in the postseason from the first Super Bowl championship season of 2001 through the undefeated, 16-0 regular season of 2007 — shouldn’t Belichick be front and center to take the blame?

Since 2009, the Patriots are only 3-3 at home in the playoffs, including back-to-back first-round losses in 2009 and 2010, and last season’s AFC Championship Game loss to the Ravens.

“We’ve got to coach better. We’ve got to play better.”

That’s typically as in-depth as Belichick gets in analyzing why his team goes down in defeat.

So what’s he likely to say about the personnel problems plaguing his team — we’ve got to draft better?

And what does he think — not that Belichick is at all likely to answer this question — of Kraft saying last week that he is going to look at the team’s “procedures” and audit “how we do things?”

Clearly, Kraft is having second thoughts about how his coach and general manager is doing business.

A case could be made that Belichick is brilliant. He has three championship rings in New England and has taken the Patriots to five Super Bowls — and seven AFC Championship Games — in the last 12 seasons.

A case also can be made that he’s arrogant and disdainful, feeling no need ever to explain himself when mistakes are made.

His attitude appears to be that, if the fans don’t like what he’s doing, well, too bad for them.

It’ll be interesting to hear what he has to say when he finally does make a public appearance.

It wouldn’t be surprising if, as he’s done in the past, he says he’ll only talk about players who are on the team.

And it’s not as if he ever reveals much of anything about them.

It is, after all, what it is.

Meanwhile, like Estragon and Vladimir waiting for Godot, Patriots fans sit and wait to hear from their genius coach.

jdonalds@providencejournal.com

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Seems being

The writer of the article does not work for ESPN, but he does live in the same neighborhood as Hern. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

dead horse

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

So says the guy who is trashing Brady on the thread above....now that is a troll deluxe! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

The media will do anything to spin ANYTHING negatively towards BB.  Anything.

Let me ask you dumbkoff, is BB the only one the media has this vendetta for? And if so, why only him?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

[QUOTE]

dead horse

Trolls like to beat a dead horse.  It's how they troll.

[/QUOTE]

Stop talking to yourself dumbkoff. It's a sign of insanity.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Our entire board is ready to move on"

True. We're also ready to move on from your perpetual trashing of Tom Brady and mocking of those who might want to differ from your take. We all know and understand your position. Time to come up with some fresh material. If Bill Cosby can do it, you can too. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

So another writer wants answers, yawn. I really don't think the football world is waiting to hear what Belichick has to say.  But if it sells papers or page views, I guess they're gonna go with it.

What does it matter what he says? He's not going to open up and bare his soul. He's going to give stock answers, which is fine with me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

The writer must be part of the E-generation. Beyond all logic and reason, he believes he is entitled to something that he is not.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

It's an individual's choice to commit murder. It has nothing to do with his team, coach or owner. Hernandez has to take full accountability for his actions same as anyone else who commits a crime and is indicted. Kraft took a financial hit with the jersey exchange and yeah he can totally afford it, but he did have the option of doing nothing and not distancing his organization from this felon. My guess is that Hernandez is officially persona non grata to the Patriots organization now and in the remote future.  BB and Kraft took a chance by drafting Hernandez and, in essence, he betrayed their trust. It might not have been the best exercise of judgement on their part, but in the end they gave a kid a second chance and he blew it by breaking the law.

If I was Kraft (hypothetically) I might give an annuity to the Lloyd family if Hernandez is found guilty. But only if and when he is found guilty. Kraft is obviously not obligated to do this and the family of Lloyd could still get money(something Hernandez has plenty of)in a civil suit.

If someone I work with commits or has a criminal act how exactly am I supposed to know about it? Aside from he/she divulging information of the act there is not much I can do. Also for those scoring at home under normal work conditions anyone who is charged with a crime could be fired with cause. This means no severance and no grounds for wrongful dismissal. Hernandez might get paid by the Pats, but its awfully hard to spend money in prison and his lawyers could easily squeeze him financially by exhausting the appeals process.

The media that is criticizing the Pats organization are the same people who lauded Vick's reinstatement and gave Lewis a post-football job. Their judgement and pronouncements are hypocritical at best.

I am done talking about crimes. Time to focus on football.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Have not heard one fan (who is not involved in the media) crying for an explaination from Belichick. Most of us weren't looking for Kraft to give an explaination either. Most of us get that Hernandez is responsible for Hernandez' actions, and Dennard is responsible for Dennards actions. Teams are forced to cut players every year for a variety of reason. In most cases, you never hear why. In Hernandez' case, its pretty apparent. If he is so outraged now, where was this reporter's in depth questioning of Hernandez and why he was with the team before all of this came to light? How was someone else able to find that information about AH from his UF days 6 years after the fact? Where was this reporters research (or ANY OTHER reporter) when AH was drafted? Or signed to the extension. Oh wait, to actually do some research and come up with something? That would have taken real work (what journalists used to do). Now its read someone else's thoughts, reformat it and call it your own. And if you can make a name for yourself by railroading someone famous, all the better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I think you need to temper your expectations. People are unpredictable, draft picks are people and nobody can see into the future.  This could have happened to any team in the NFL and we're not the first.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I am convinced rkarp believes Meyers told BB that Hernandez would murder someone if draft and offered an extentsion. Of course Meyers was afaird for his life, that is why he was never displined. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You're proving my point.  The media will do anything to spin ANYTHING negatively towards BB.  Anything. When does BB speak between mini camp and regular camp?  He doesn't.

When does Robert Kraft speak to the media during the summer?  He doesn't, except when one of his players is arrested for murder.

I don't understand why you would get on someone for working at ESPN.  You like to bring up personal details you have squeezed out of people and attempt to use them against them.  I think the fact that Rkarp works for ESPN is cool.

Belichick drafted the player.  Belichick handed him a $40,000,000 contract extension.  I want to hear from him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Belichick drafted the player.  Belichick handed him a $40,000,000 contract extension.  I want to hear from him.

I love how these reporters (try) and have you believe that most fans are on the edge of their seats waiting for BB to address the media. Did these hacks just learn about BB? Do these idiots actually think he's going to all of a sudden open the vault, and start being nice to the reporters?

As others have pointed out, I don't know of one single person that feels like we deserve some sort of explanation from BB....except the (VERY) few here that keep posting this garbage.

BB doesn't give hardly any details about a game he just played 15 minutes prior to the news conference.....why on Earth would anybody think he's going to come out and start talking about a player that has been cut from the team? Dream on!!

What's done is done. I certainly don't need anyone to explain why they drafted a player that turned out to be a bad situation all together. It's over. This sense of "entitlement" by certain fans is just sickening.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

You're proving my point.  The media will do anything to spin ANYTHING negatively towards BB.  Anything. When does BB speak between mini camp and regular camp?  He doesn't.

When does Robert Kraft speak to the media during the summer?  He doesn't, except when one of his players is arrested for murder.

I don't understand why you would get on someone for working at ESPN.  You like to bring up personal details you have squeezed out of people and attempt to use them against them.  I think the fact that Rkarp works for ESPN is cool.

He will say, "Aaron Hernandez is not a member of the New England Patriots.  I only answer questions about the New England Patriots."

Seriously, what do you expect him to say?  If he said, "I knew that someday Aaron Hernandez would murder someone, but I was just hoping he would wait until he had helped us win a Super Bowl," would you be happy? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to newenglanderinexile's comment:

He will say, "Aaron Hernandez is not a member of the New England Patriots.  I only answer questions about the New England Patriots."

Seriously, what do you expect him to say?  If he said, "I knew that someday Aaron Hernandez would murder someone, but I was just hoping he would wait until he had helped us win a Super Bowl," would you be happy? 

Exactly!!......But rkarp appears by his postings here to be quite "unpleaseable". Just the way some people are built I guess....glass always half empty.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I am not alone here either.

Your biggest lie ever.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I really couldn't care less what someone from the media wants and, to the point, I neither want nor expect to hear from Belichick on the AH matter.  Those who are expecting/demanding a statement from BB are being unrealistic given BB's history.

And I guess I'm a little bewildered by what the point might be in the first place?  If it's a matter of acccountability, I'm sure Robert Kraft has discussed the matter with Belichick.  Beyond that I don't see that anyone is entitled to anything beyond what Kraft has already said.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

With regards to what?  See, if you delete out the rest of what I said, no one has a clue what you are talking about whatsoever, which makes it seem like you're being sneaky. Babe does that too. He deletes the entire response and then leaves a few words to reply to in order to eliminate the context. Hitler and Stalin liked to do things like that. CREEPY.

Hitler and Stalin liked to delete the entire response and then leaves a few words to reply to in order to eliminate the context?  What were their usernames?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

With regards to what?  See, if you delete out the rest of what I said, no one has a clue what you are talking about whatsoever, which makes it seem like you're being sneaky. Babe does that too. He deletes the entire response and then leaves a few words to reply to in order to eliminate the context. Hitler and Stalin liked to do things like that. CREEPY.

There was no context.  It was just a random dig at you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

[QUOTE]

Hitler and Stalin liked to delete the entire response and then leaves a few words to reply to in order to eliminate the context?  What were their usernames?

[/QUOTE]

Dam they were smart,when noone else seemed to have  a computer.lol Why didnt they get the the credit for the computer or the internet ?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I really couldn't care less what someone from the media wants and, to the point, I neither want nor expect to hear from Belichick on the AH matter.  Those who are expecting/demanding a statement from BB are being unrealistic given BB's history.

And I guess I'm a little bewildered by what the point might be in the first place?  If it's a matter of acccountability, I'm sure Robert Kraft has discussed the matter with Belichick.  Beyond that I don't see that anyone is entitled to anything beyond what Kraft has already said.

This is exactly right. You have to ask, would the media be demanding anything from anybody if Hernandez played for [pick a team]. It's because they have a hard-on for Belichick. 

I mean seriously, would this article be written if this was the Bills?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

They criticize Belichick for drafting a strong crop of Rutgers players with good character then turn around and criticize him for drafting Hernandez and Dennard.    As always, consider the source.

Sections
Shortcuts