Selection of '76 Raiders as Greatest Team Ever a Joke

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

Re: Selection of '76 Raiders as Greatest Team Ever a Joke

The 72 Dolphins beat the Browns in that first playoff game after getting a pass interference call at the Browns 8 behind 14-13, they scored a minute later.  I'd like to see that play again, anywhere we can see video footage? Maybe a missed field goal, maybe a better chance for the Browns to get a field goal, or maybe it was just an outrageous pass interference that everyone agrees on. 

The 76 Raiders are the only team on the list that the Patriots beat, and should have beaten twice.  I went to the game in Foxborough, north end zone about 10 rows up, still remember to this day, beautiful sunny September afternoon.

Lost to the 85 Bears twice, lost to the 72 Dolphins twice, Lost to the 89 49ers, didn't play anyone else. 

So, I'll put the 04 Patriots first and the Raiders second.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I voted 85 Bears. It pains me to say it but I can't beleive they lost any games that year. I am also shocked they did not repeat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

In Response to Re: Selection of '76 Raiders as Greatest Team Ever a Joke:
    I voted 85 Bears. It pains me to say it but I can't beleive they lost any games that year. I am also shocked they did not repeat.
    Posted by raptor64d

They barely survived a weak Packer team at Lambeau and the Buccaneers at Tampa Bay.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

The 72 Dolphins beat the Browns in that first playoff game after getting a pass interference call at the Browns 8 behind 14-13, they scored a minute later.  I'd like to see that play again, anywhere we can see video footage? Maybe a missed field goal, maybe a better chance for the Browns to get a field goal, or maybe it was just an outrageous pass interference that everyone agrees on.  The 76 Raiders are the only team on the list that the Patriots beat, and should have beaten twice.  I went to the game in Foxborough, north end zone about 10 rows up, still remember to this day, beautiful sunny September afternoon. Lost to the 85 Bears twice, lost to the 72 Dolphins twice, Lost to the 89 49ers, didn't play anyone else.  So, I'll put the 04 Patriots first and the Raiders second.
    Posted by pauldeba

I couldn't vote for any team but the Patriots so I chose the 2004 Patriots as well.  I was also there when the Patriots put a whooping on the Raiders in Foxboro in 1976.   It was Heartbreak Hotel losing to them later on a bad call. But "it is what it is".  

The 1985 Bears Defense was terrific.  Although I wonder how many "contracts" were put out on the opposition by Buddy Ryan.   I think quite a few players were carried out of the game due to the Bear Defense.  The ironic thing was in 1986 Bears QB Jim Mcmahon was almost killed by a blindside hit that ended his season by Packers Defensive Lineman Charles Martin.  

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Selection of '76 Raiders as Greatest Team Ever a Joke : no I dont TP...I said it was the 1984 49ers (see post above) whether they were a choice or not...I am merely saying this is only about one yr not multiple runs or dynasty's..it's just 85 bears vs 72 fins, 04 pats vs 86 giants, like that
    Posted by JintsFan

When a team is repeatedly very good over multiple years, sandwiched around one spectacular year, that's some indication to how good overall that team was, in it's spectacular year. A team that is repeatedly very good around that spectacular year has demostrated that it's capablle of playing at a high level against all systems, and all types of competition. It's a sign that the great team in question was versatile enough to adapt to any style, and win games in multiple ways.

That said, you make a good point about the 1984 San Francisco 49ers. I mistakenly omitted putting them in the mix. But, they clearly should be in this discussion, and should receive strong consideration. They finished 15-1 in '84, losing only to the Pittsburgh Steelers in Pittsburgh, 20-17. In the play-offs, they beat the Giants, 21-10, the Bears, 23-0, and the overmatched Miami Dolphins, 38-16, in the SB: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_San_Francisco_49ers_season

Truly, the '84 San Francisco 49ers were one of the greatest teams of all-time, and better than the '76 Raiders.    

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I still say 04 Pats.

Simply rolled over the league aside from 2 hiccups (at PIT, at MIA). Dominant D. Dominant running game. And Tom Brady. And Belichick. And the best kicker ever.

Playoffs: beat Indy. Beat PIT AT PIT. Beat PHI for SB. At that time, probably the other 3 best teams in the league. Pit and Indy would both win SBs not long after with the same teams, and PHI was ending a run of 4 straight NFCC games.

Pats rolled them all.

Come on Laz, you know it's true. Just because we're actually fans of the team doens't make it any less true.

I'll take that team, with that coach and that kicker over anything else in history. Without question. I'd take that team and run them out there against the 07 Pats and watch Dillon go crazy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The 76 Raiders?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The 76 Raiders?
    Posted by shenanigan

Yes...that's the team rated by NFL.com as the greatest team of all-time, based on fan voting. I refer you to my initial post, starting this thread.  

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Selection of '76 Raiders as Greatest Team Ever a Joke : no actually i dont know this is true at all...pats "rolled" the iggles is sb?must've missed that i thought it was 24-21...now the 86 jints rolled their 2 opponents and sb opponent to the tune of 105-23...THATS rolling 17-2 with simms bavaro LT banks pepper johnson...and i didnt pick them
    Posted by JintsFan

Whaaaat?!?  Are you changing your mind now JintsFan...?  I thought you and TexasPat had determined that the 1927 Hoboken Dolphins should be regarded as the single greatest team ever, seein' as how they trounced Spokane, Tucson, Des Moines, Wichita, AND even Albuquerque on their way to a totally undefeated season...  Sure- Tulsa, Fort Worth, and even Omaha-Lincoln gave 'em a run for their money, but wadd'ya expect...?!?  Psssh, It's not like those fellas are a buncha slouches like Tex-Arkana & El Paso <whom were dispatched with ease...except Tex-Arkana, which came down to a last second hail mary and a backroom payoff of indentured serf swapping and some additional but very minor, farming supplies- dried seeds, hay bale ties...like I said, nothin' too big though>.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Selection of '76 Raiders as Greatest Team Ever a Joke : these things are all fun but nonsense...comparing eras in most things is a waste of time...besides, you knew they'd pick some old time team because people overrate and/or live in the past and never appeciate whats right before their eyes, kind of like that bull****about the 50's being the "golden age" of baseball; nostalgic crap myth...personally i dont know if many of the "greats" back when would be able to compete today but don't tell all the middle-agers and oldsters running networks and hosting radio shows! : ) again fun to discuss but pointless
    Posted by JintsFan

You're going to tell me that Ronnie Lott couldn't compete in ANY era?  Or Jerry Rice?

What about Lawrence Taylor?

Or William Perry?

Child please. 

Even if they didn't get the modern benefit of sports science, surgery, and HGH, they'd still be beasts, especially Jerry Rice (great route running and reading defenses translates anywhere)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-dogg81. Show p-dogg81's posts

Why aren't the 2007 pats on that list I don't care what you say but David tyree did not have possession of the ball, and even dispute that, that team won more games than anyone in history. People had already crowned them the greatest before that despicable call, I don't see why that has changed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Selection of '76 Raiders as Greatest Team Ever a Joke":
    In Response to Re: Selection of '76 Raiders as Greatest Team Ever a Joke : actually Laz u r right...on one hand I do think the 84 49ers the best team ever if i had to pick one BUT-and it is a big one-only the 72 Fins went undefeated. One is more logic, the other is more the acomplishment. hmmm... btw its really foolish the way you break down the 72 dolphins schedule to disparage their achievement...plenty of teams have had "easy" schedules and plenty of fantastic teams including ur pats of 07 and the 84 49ers, the 85 bears the 86 giants, all the great steeler teams and yet...not one ever went undefeated-if ur logic by breaking down the fins supposed easy schedule was true it would have happened at least one other time is not more..sorry, plenty of teams had everything in place and still couldn't get it done-only the 72 dolphins did Posted by JintsFan
    07 Pats didn't have an easy schedule. They beat 6 playoff teams, most teams only play half that in a year. It was an anomaly where of the 4 teams in the NFC they played three went to the playoffs. 3 teams from one division is quite rare. And the one team they play from each AFC division ended up being division winners. There's probably only a handful of teams in NFL history who beat so many playoff teams in a single year. There may not be any.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Selection of '76 Raiders as Greatest Team Ever a Joke : actually Laz u r right...on one hand I do think the 84 49ers the best team ever if i had to pick one BUT-and it is a big one-only the 72 Fins went undefeated. One is more logic, the other is more the acomplishment. hmmm... btw its really foolish the way you break down the 72 dolphins schedule to disparage their achievement...plenty of teams have had "easy" schedules and plenty of fantastic teams including ur pats of 07 and the 84 49ers, the 85 bears the 86 giants, all the great steeler teams and yet...not one ever went undefeated-if ur logic by breaking down the fins supposed easy schedule was true it would have happened at least one other time is not more..sorry, plenty of teams had everything in place and still couldn't get it done-only the 72 dolphins did
    Posted by JintsFan

Seriously...Shenanigan already beat me to it I see.  JintsFan, just go 'head and take a look that 2007 Pats Schedule, and see for yourself who they squared up against that year and what those opponent's record was at the time, as well as how those opponent's finished.  It could have EASILY...EASILY have been the most difficult schedule for any NFL Team during that particular season.

So...I guess now then, IF you're making that particular claim, we should just assume you're also blindly shooting that '84 49'ers schedule wildly up in the air hoping that this shot randomly hits your target mark as well...?  Yes?  No?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

That "competition" officially became a joke when I kept seeing the one-dimensional 2000 Ravens advancing over teams that I knew would cream them if they met in real life.

The fact that the final four featured NONE of the Steelers teams of the 70s; none of the Cowboys teams of the early 90s; none of the Dolphins teams of the early 70s (the '73 team was one of the most dominant ever--better than '72); and neither of the Pats back-to-back teams in '03-'04 made the entire bracket thing a joke.

How on earth did the 2000 Ravens get to the finals? OK, great defense. One of the all-time best, in fact, but also remember that it was a team which went five straight weeks without scoring a TD in the regular season. Their playoff opponents, except for the Titans in the divisional round, were just "OK" teams and their Super Bowl opponent--the Kerry Collins-led Giants--were a "just happy to be here" bunch.

To be honest, the Ravens getting to the finals is more ridiculous than the '76 Raiders winning the competition. Just goes to prove how much the modern-day media hype machine can affect the public's perceptions.

As for the '76 Raiders winning it all....no, they shouldn't have. I can't quite understand why they got so far in the competition to begin with. The 13-1 regular season record was impressive, but the '72 Dolphins went 17-0 and there were several 12-2 SB champs back in the 70s. The Ben Dreith call notwithstanding, that '76 Oakland team may not even have been Madden's best one; they just happened to be the team that got the breaks in the post-season, whereas their other teams never did.

The best one-year wonder team of all time was the '85 Bears, for sure, but for my money the most balanced teams in NFL history came out of San Francisco in the 80s---take your pick of the 18-1 1984 team or the 17-2 1989 team. You can't go wrong with either.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

That "competition" officially became a joke when I kept seeing the one-dimensional 2000 Ravens advancing over teams that I knew would cream them if they met in real life. The fact that the final four featured NONE of the Steelers teams of the 70s; none of the Cowboys teams of the early 90s; none of the Dolphins teams of the early 70s (the '73 team was one of the most dominant ever--better than '72); and neither of the Pats back-to-back teams in '03-'04 made the entire bracket thing a joke. How on earth did the 2000 Ravens get to the finals? OK, great defense. One of the all-time best, in fact, but also remember that it was a team which went five straight weeks without scoring a TD in the regular season. Their playoff opponents, except for the Titans in the divisional round, were just "OK" teams and their Super Bowl opponent--the Kerry Collins-led Giants--were a "just happy to be here" bunch. To be honest, the Ravens getting to the finals is more ridiculous than the '76 Raiders winning the competition. Just goes to prove how much the modern-day media hype machine can affect the public's perceptions. As for the '76 Raiders winning it all....no, they shouldn't have. I can't quite understand why they got so far in the competition to begin with. The 13-1 regular season record was impressive, but the '72 Dolphins went 17-0 and there were several 12-2 SB champs back in the 70s. The Ben Dreith call notwithstanding, that '76 Oakland team may not even have been Madden's best one; they just happened to be the team that got the breaks in the post-season, whereas their other teams never did. The best one-year wonder team of all time was the '85 Bears, for sure, but for my money the most balanced teams in NFL history came out of San Francisco in the 80s---take your pick of the 18-1 1984 team or the 17-2 1989 team. You can't go wrong with either.
    Posted by hardright

Good point about the 2000 Ravens. How were they able to advance to the finals, when the 1984 49ers, 1985 Bears, and 1986 Giants could not? All had great defenses, but also were more balanced teams. All had much better QBs than Trent Dilfer.

I agree with your high praise for the 49er teams. It was a glaring error on my part not to include the '84 49ers in this discussion.

Interesting how the '84 49ers, '85 Bears and '86 Giants were back to back to back, highly dominant teams.        

Sections
Shortcuts