Senior Bowl Practice Notes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Senior Bowl Practice Notes

I know not everyone is into following these guys, me personally a guy who would love to be a scout for the Patriots loves to watch and grade these players.  I will be posting some match ups on who players we've all talked about as the practice goes.

Kyle Wilson I say again he is a monster, he has shut down, that's right I said shut down every WR he's faced so far.  Press off the line everywhere this guy is out to impress and has done it so far.  I'm not crazy I do know it is different going against the likes of Fitzgerald or moss ect but this guy has the tools and its proving it.  He is also a great return man.  I think we need to pick him up, would be a great nickle guy for the first year and move into a #2 in 2011.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: Senior Bowl Practice Notes

Ducasse against Brandon Graham DE/OLB (Michigan), got beat twice first one Graham flew by him and got to the QB.

Sam young at right tackle, its like looking at Vollmer but he's inconsistent in protection (according to Mayock). 
    Icoti is dominating, wow he's a nasty guard. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

It's gonna be interesting to see how Ducasse performs overall vs. the huge jump in competition.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Sure is, against Graham, Graham was lineup on his Ducasse's outside shoulder, he didn't look good at all.

He didn't even get a hand on Graham on a speed rush.  When Graham made a move to his inside shoulder he pushed graham closer to the QB.  He needs a really good showing to move up draft boards as he is been talked about doing.  He had a rough day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Some big names that are having problems.  Tebow is struggling, Cody has weight issues and Graham measurables come up way short.  Graham only has 30" arms.  He'll get man handled at the next level.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I forgot about Gilyard coming in at 179lbs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Graham is torching everyone not just Vlad. Really surprised you have guys like Ricky Sapp listed on your poll yet you do not even have Graham listed. Weird.

One thing that makes me so f'n mad too is that it is a "senior" bowl because i want to see how those pups do against all the best talent. So many times those young guys end up over rated if there simply is not enough film on them up against the better competition.

For every one player whose stock rises by staying for his senior year there are many more whose stock drops. (Taylor Mays, Mualuga, Laurenitis, etc). The more film the more accurate assessment, generally speaking.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ozstryker. Show Ozstryker's posts

It's actually tough to list all the good OLBs and DEs this year. So many.

For the 1st rd 22nd pick, Pats could go with any of the following and it would be a great pick:

Ricky Sapp
    Sergio Kindle
    Everson Griffen
    Carlos Dunlap
    Eric Norwood
    Sean Weatherspoon
    Greg Hardy
    Jerry Hughes
    Austen Lane
    Brandon Graham
    Jared Odrick

A few of those guys will still be available at the 2nd pick at 44 so pick two between the two. Then get a CB:
    Patrick Robinson, or Kyle Wilson if still available.
    Then WR or RB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Ive seen all these guys play the past couple years and seen some of the coverage at the Senior Bowl and still wouldnt take any of them with our first. This team has to many holes to take a chance on one of these guys. Seriously I understand the draft, in fact IMHO LOL I think I understand it better than most, and taken one of these guys in the first round makes no sense what so ever. Usually there are one or two that stand out from the rest of the class, please tell mr who that is here. This class screams English, Maybin, and though none are hyped up like Gholston (Kiper had that one), most have that "I cant wait to eat 10 million" look. Listen I think Dunlap could be a very good player, he has crazy ability, I actually like him. There are alot of q's about his work ethic or lack there of and a early DUI, although coming out of Florida thats par or the coarse. I care a whole lot more about his ambition etc, you wanna give a slob 20 million?  Weatherspoon is very interesting, seems like he can be a versatile player. He has alot of upside as does Griffen, he could really be a player, but Id expect more from him playing on that all star team and the competition he played against.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

Pats 7393, Who's Kyle Wilson? Can you give me some stats / history on this guy ?
    Height, weight , 40 time etc.
                                              Thanx

GO Pats

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Pats7393: I like all the players involved in the draft and I like to see how their careers progress. This years crop of players is inordinately large! So it is imperitive that BB use his draft choices wisely.The top 3 CB's have been Robinson,Cook,and your boy Wilson. I watched Wilson all season in fact I watched more Boise State games this year than BC games.In the East/West Shrine game the kid from Texas Tech Walls played a whale of a game. No one has seen Haden or Murphy play yet! I saw Haden many times and he is the concensus #1 DB in the draft. The other DB that I like a lot is Arenas from Alabama,he's another of the midget DB's but he can cover and tackle,plus he's a superior kick returner. I'm hoping that the Patriots manage too grab at least one of these guys,also mark my words and I didn't think I would ever say this but if Tim Tebow drops far enough down I could actually see BB taking him,but he would have to drop to at least the 4th round. There will be several WR's late in the draft and quite a few RB's that no one will bite on,so the patriots probably won't have too spend any of the 4 early picks on those positions. O-line,D-Line,OLB,ILB,Hybrid DE's and DB's look there and you'll find the early round selections for the Patriots.Dwhite1220: Here are your stats on Kyle Wilson 5'10" 3 year starter from Boise State,excellent Punt returner his 40 time was 4.42 if you want more info go to cbssports.com and go to the NFL Draft and all the players that are ranked have profiles on them written by NFLScouts.com.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Kyle Wilson is making a mark, he played for Boise State.  He's been shuting everyone down at the Senior Bowl practices.  Here are some stats on him and look about 55 seconds into this youtube link.  That's what he has been doing everytime, only passes guys are catching against him are short out routes or crossing parterns but he's right there with them.

Stats and player information:
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=68129&draftyear=2010&genpos=CB

youtube link: (55 seconds into the video)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ODX2ZCEZvg

Mayock breaking him down, he's moved to a 1st round talent! I'm on board at 22 Kyle Wilson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JkEt_f7d2g

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Pats,

The Pat's do their homework on a ton of players leading up to the draft, but this should make your day.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/01/patriots_kick_t.html

Might they finally drop their height premium and take guys based more on skills than height?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I think they will, I just posted my mock and Graham I couldn't add because he'll be gone by when I had an OLB.  I think OLB is a second round pick, you know how I feel about Kyle Wilson and had him been drafted in the 1st.

I do hope Graham falls a bit, my mock is a dream one but if it were to be all the stars align it would be the greatest and I would need to be hired by the Patriots.

These two guys are excellent pass rushers and because of the success of other smaller LBs I think their stock will be on the rise specially with the workouts they are having.

Thanks for the link.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Lonye  Miller RB, played behind Ryan Matthews, he just caught a pass and put on the afterburners.  He's 5'11" 220lbs, a poor mans Matthews IMO. 

He's projected anywhere from 5th to 7th round.  This might be a guy to keep an eye on.  Specially if he's still there in the 7th.  I want to watch him run between tackles see how he does but looked good catching the ball as a check down.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I cobbled together notes from over a dozen different websites and blogs tracking the senior bowl practices. Most of the well known usual suspects included.

I have the first 2 days up. The notes are not consolidated or rewritten. Just cut and past so many comments are similar and a bit redundant.

They are organized into positives, negatives, mixed, and injured. If a player get a glowing review from one source and is ripped by another he ends up in the mixed pile.

None of the comments are my own as I have not seen any of the footage.

I have also just posted a sampling of sack numbers given up by tackles from around the league. It is not a complete and exhaustive list. There are no context to the numbers. Raw stats. Also what round the tackles was drafted in.

That being said I think the patriot fans on here, AS USUAL, are always quick to want to unload a perfectly good player on pure emotion and perception. The stats I worked up seem to indicate the Patriot offensive tackles, while not the best, seem to be doing a pretty good job by comparison. Especially when you take draft round into account.

Your can check it out if you want here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Low good blog, thanks for sharing.  The more I read about prospects this year the more excited I get.  This is draft has a lot of depth, I think we are not done yet getting picks in the mid rounds.

There are players who would have been 2nd or 3rd rounders last year and probably will be 4th or 5th rounders this year.  Our biggest need is OLB OL DL WR well there are good ones going into the 4th round, guys who can contribute their first year, maybe not as a starter but give starters a breather without giving up too much on the field.

I think the Pats make some moves this year and go after it hard.  This is the offseason to do it and IMO they are in perfect position.  4 picks in the first two rounds, two #1s in 2011 and some players we probably are looking to trade for picks (LM, Light, AD maybe VW although I hope he is signed long term).

We are not in the SB and that is not how we wanted it to end but that set aside BB has put us in a good position to improve.  He had some bad drafts but this guy is the ultimate professional and a human computer I'm sure he's gathered all the information from years past and is now mapping a better approach. 

Sections
Shortcuts