Serious question about last Patriots Jets game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Serious question about last Patriots Jets game

So as I think back about the last game (which I will be doing a lot all off season) I keep wondering what happened to this:

Did BB and the Pats lose their copy somewhere?  Why didn't they have a plan B?  Plan A was not working!  What happened?  All they had to do was get by the Jets and by the looks of yesterdays games they would be heavily favored to win the SuperBowl.  Woulda, coulda, shoulda... I know!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Serious question about last Patriots Jets game

Seriously, the Pats were outcoached and outplayed in every phase of the game.  I don't think there really is any point in wondering about why they didn't do this or that.

Just my 2 cents.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I would actually like Bill O'Brien to answer this one.  If he doesn't see anything he'd do differently, that's a problem to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I agree. It goes back to coaching. I saw the Steelers come out and pound the rock against the Jets zones and they did it well. Is Mendenhall better than Woody/Benny? Maybe but it's marginal at best...

The coaching will evolve over time and this playoff game was a great learning lesson for the offensive playcalling. The defensive playcalling has been fine all year and the youngs guys contributed well and beyond what was expected. That's probably attributed to Belichick's direct involvement with the defense this year. I assume his logic was to mold the young talent while they're young and "stupid." It seemed to have an impact. No, we did not get stops when we needed to but that's a talent issue. After losing all the guys we lost, we couldn't have overhauled our ENTIRE team in one offseason: not enough picks, draftable players, and funds to do that. Plus, the Patriots don't make heat-of-the-moment moves.

As for coaching, I see people screaming for Romeo or Dick LeBeau. People don't get that the coaching was good enough to win us 14 ball games in a rebuilding year. Clearly, we have enough there. It's just a matter of it all coming together in time for January football. Romeo, McDaniels, Charlie Weiss, those guys aren't coming here. They'll come here, do well with Brady as their QB and Belichick as their head coach and they'll always be seen as "the guys that only do well under the Great Belichick." That's career suicide. Belichick has no choice but to groom his own coaching talent internally. That way, when the next guy gets poached, which you know will happen, he'll have another guy waiting in line.

It's laughable that people blame "ego" or "the Patriot way." Yes, if you win 5 Super Bowls and go to at least 6-7, you have a way, a method. And why would you change that just because you don't win it every year?!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Spoiled fans, AP. 

And they have absolutely no concept of balancing a budget, trying to win now and setting up an infrastructure in the cap era.  They don't get economics/finances, the degree of difficulty in the league or the fact that 1 or 2 plays decide games.

The line is so thin, those 1 or 2 plays can make the game for one team over another.  Look at the Crumpler TD drop. He makes that catch and Brady throws that screen away to BJGE, and we very well may not be talking about this.

But, we are, because failed execution in a round robin tourney is magnified.  Is it a wonder why these playoffs get such high ratings, the college b-ball tourney does so well and why college football's finish is so anti-climatic?

If this was 1987, BB and Brady leading these teams, etc, NE would rarely lose a game.

Kraft would have the open checkbook and he'd play the Steinbrenner role of being a lot more liberal with the spending.

This isn't Madden video games where there are no repercussions with personnel.

Also, keep in mind, the economy has been so bad right up through 2010, many companies are sitting around waiting for the market to settle a little bit, waiting to pounce when they feel it's a good spot to maximize a targeted asset.

We are seeing acquisitions from the big boys before they start to spend the  money.   Same concept here from Kraft and it makes sense.

The "acquisitions" or chips are the last two drafts and complementary FA moves.

Now it's time to spend and make the splashes, but thay can only happen when the CBA gets done.  We'll see who is complaining when the curtain drops on that.

We are seeeing some movement in the economy right now, so even though Kraft didn't spend as much as other teams in the uncapped year, make no  mistake, that is smart and good business.

Dan Shaugnessy is an idiot, as is anyone who buys into the wild spending theory to use a gimmick or gimmicks to sell.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Serious question about last Patriots Jets game:
    [QUOTE]I think ten points on the first two drives of that game vs the Jests and this thread isn't here. Yesterday's game against Pittsburgh clearly showed to me a tl east that the Jests were lucky to beat us.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say they were lucky. If Brady doesn't throw the pick on a seemingly easy throw and if Crumpler hangs on for the easy TD catch (easy for him at least), we're looking at 14-0 + a missed FG for the Jets + an offensive gameplan for the Jets that has to be considering ditching the run + the "oh no, here we go again" sulking. It was more of us failing to NOT execute but I wouldn't call it luck. On that day, they made plays we failed to make.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

9/10 Brady throws that away and Crumpler catches it.  This is why people watch sports.

It is what it is. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Another great thing that I heard from Belichick after the Jets loss was something like this:

[when asked what changes have to be made for the team to be better next year]

"The important thing is to take some time to step away from the season and make decisions and plans that aren't in the heat of the moment. We won 14 games in the regular season, lost the most important game of the season, so there's certainly something to take away from the year."

That statement alone is something at least 25% of the teams in the NFL can learn from. Not to mention, 100% of the fan bases.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

[QUOTE]I would actually like Bill O'Brien to answer this one.  If he doesn't see anything he'd do differently, that's a problem to me.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Why do you got to pick on the O'Brien guy?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

I think all the woulda/couldas will drive you nuts if you let them.  There are dozens of successive changes of fortune in a highly competitive game, and NYJ fans probably could point to a few coulda/wouldas that coulda/woulda made the NE-NYJ game a blowout.  There certainly doesn't seem to be a large talent differential, but I agree with the notion that the Pats got outcoach on that given day...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I get what you're saying but I don't believe in the luck card really.

- Brady only gets to start because Bledsoe gets creamed. Even with that lucky break, it was all about what Brady did with the chance. Would Belichick, after being fired from Cleveland (and the Kosar trade), have willingly sat $100 million Drew Bledsoe for a 199th pick otherwise?

- The Tuck Rule. People (jealous fans) say the dynasty was built on luck and a bogus rule. Fine but that rule had nothing to do with Adam making that ridiculous kick or Brady leading the Patriots down the field for a game-winning Super Bowl drive. It still boiled down to execution, even though they enforced a misunderstood rule to get us that chance.

- David Tyree's catch could be luck but the guy hung on for a tough catch while ASSante dropped an easier INT, especially for a Pro Bowl DB standards.

The Jets got "lucky" with those plays but they still executed their defensive gameplan flawlessly, still didnt turn the ball over on offense, still attacked Brady relentlessly, and took advantage of Patriots miscues (Chung's botch, most importantly)

I'm sure Belichick will tell the guys they lost because of poor execution, not because the Jets got lucky. You can't teach and coach when you pinpoint a loss on just bad luck.

I certainly respect your view though. I just don't see a loss that way.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 3SB-rings. Show 3SB-rings's posts

Say what you want about coaching.
    You saw a useless offense the FIRST half of the game. COACHING, a team that had NO time off, was put to the test and a "plan B" was drawn up to attack Pitt's defense. 0 first half to almost an upset the second half.
    Was O'brien watching?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

[QUOTE]I think ten points on the first two drives of that game vs the Jests and this thread isn't here. Yesterday's game against Pittsburgh clearly showed to me a tl east that the Jests were lucky to beat us.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

The Jets won against the Pats because they had a better plan and executed better, plain and simple.  Yesterday the Jets didn't and that's why the Steelers won.  With the exception of the fake punt, which was probably the correct decision but executed poorly, there were no freak or outrageously lucky plays.

But, from a Pats fans viewpoint there is a bright side; while the Pats lost their only playoff game against the hated Jets at least the Jets didn't win it all.  

Pats fans are starting to sound a lot like RS fans.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

[QUOTE]Say what you want about coaching. You saw a useless offense the FIRST half of the game. COACHING, a team that had NO time off, was put to the test and a "plan B" was drawn up to attack Pitt's defense. 0 first half to almost an upset the second half. Was O'brien watching?
    Posted by 3SB-rings[/QUOTE]

Why is everybody picking on the O'Brien guy?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

In Response to Serious question about last Patriots Jets game:
    [QUOTE]So as I think back about the last game (which I will be doing a lot all off season) I keep wondering what happened to this: Did BB and the Pats lose their copy somewhere?  Why didn't they have a plan B?  Plan A was not working!  What happened?  All they had to do was get by the Jets and by the looks of yesterdays games they would be heavily favored to win the SuperBowl.  Woulda, coulda, shoulda... I know!
    Posted by BradyMossFan[/QUOTE]
    ==============
    Could it be our coaches aren't versatile enough to adapt to changes?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Why is someone asking about Bill O'Brien's inexperince and no job title as Offensive Coordinator.

He was question mark until about Week 8 or 9 and then he got totally out-called by Rex Ryan in the game.

To ignore this is utterly ridiculous. Yes, the Brady INT was a mistake, but overall, if you liked the gamecalling in that game, you have some issues.

A trained monkey could call plays for Brady and that offense.  O'Brien lost the coordinator battle just like McDaniels did in SB 42. It happens, but at least put SOME of the blame on to the person who is holding the placard calling the plays.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nZone. Show nZone's posts

Scrap Plan A, B, C, D, F, etc...

The Patriots lost the battle of field positions.   When you give opponents to start every offensive play at the 50-yard line, 99.9% of the time your team will lose. 

There were few key plays that could have turned the outcome of the game...the Pats missed all those key plays.

To these days...I'm still thinking vividly about the game...how did the Pats managed to lose the game.  I'm sure every Patriot (players) and BB are still thinking the same.  BB said it right after the game "We are a better team than we played today".      

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

i think in the early years of the dynasty the coordinators were experienced... but even with that alot of the games were close and could have gone either way but the crustyness of some of the coaching and the veterans got us over the hump....

since 07...this team has been overhauled... and this year it came together nice... but when the sh*t hit the fan..you still had a lot of inexperience...even with that the game was still in contention with 28 seconds left...and I think that had to do with bradys experience... peopel say he was stumped but to me he was not making mistakes(forcing the ball)... and there were 2 or 3 plays that if they go different we win... go back and check the three previous post bye week games... tough hardfought wins..

so thats my rub... they were young and just got beat... and im not just talking about players...

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts