Seymour all done..?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Seymour all done..?

Six tackles and two sacks in his first game in the 4/3 D...  I'd say no, he still has plenty left in the tank.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Re: Seymour all done..?

In Response to Seymour all done..?:
    Six tackles and two sacks in his first game in the 4/3 D...  I'd say no, he still has plenty left in the tank.
    Posted by wozzy

He wasn't coming back to the Pats after this season anyway so the first rounder is a good deal for future team building. Then there is the added advantage of having him beat up on the Chargers who could use some competition in their division..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

He sure as hell silenced his media critics...  he almost gave the raiders an amazing upset.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

He didn't look very done to me while he was planting Young Mr. Rivers none-too-gently on his backside.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

He is toast.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Anyone who thinks Seymour is done is a moron. He was the best defender on NE last season, and will be the best defender on Oakland this season.

I trust NE will get something *excellent* with that selection, but the move was purely monetary. Tag and trade won't work this offseason, and on the open market a play like Seymour is going to get the same type of money it will cost to resign Wilfork AND Mankins, or at least something close.

NE could have used him last night, as Buffalo wasn't shy about running at Wright. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

Who said he was done???? Nobody EVER said that.. The trade had NOTHING to do with his level of play. We got value for a comodity that was only going to remain ours for a little while longer.. BigSey92 looked very good last night. AS EXPECTED !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

In Response to Seymour all done..?:
    Posted by wozzy
    still was a good trade. y should raiders expect nothing for a #1. questn for them is whether they can sign him long term. most likely it will work out. russell could turn out ok as qb. sey's very presence gives them more credibility arounf the league. could attract more serious free agent. their defense wasnt that bad last year. their offense just stunk. for the pats, its about the long term. i think with tbc, burgess and adalius with green as part of a 4-3, that could put major pressure on any qb. perhaps brace and pryor could develop to contribute to the run stopping aspect. we'll c. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

That was media BS. No one here thought he was done, they got 8 great years out of him and and #1 pick. I see nothing wrong with the trade besides it weakend our strength on D this season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Seymour all done..?:
    In Response to Seymour all done..? : still was a good trade. y should raiders expect nothing for a #1. questn for them is whether they can sign him long term. most likely it will work out. russell could turn out ok as qb. sey's very presence gives them more credibility arounf the league. could attract more serious free agent. their defense wasnt that bad last year. their offense just stunk. for the pats, its about the long term. i think with tbc, burgess and adalius with green as part of a 4-3, that could put major pressure on any qb. perhaps brace and pryor could develop to contribute to the run stopping aspect. we'll c. 
    Posted by bubbakilla

The problem for oakland is that paying a 30 year old of his skills is tricky. Right now, he should be paid more than Haynesworth. But in four years, he likely will not be as dominant.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Re: Seymour all done..? : The problem for oakland is that paying a 30 year old of his skills is tricky. Right now, he should be paid more than Haynesworth. But in four years, he likely will not be as dominant.
    Posted by zbellino

Oakland is a good place for people who want to get a big payday and don't care if they win or lose.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyPieman. Show JohnnyPieman's posts

I never thought he was done, but I still think the Patriots robbed the Raiders.

Robbed them as much as I believe that a lot of members of the sports media wanted Seymour to hold out on the Raiders because they wanted a shocking trade to turn into a circus with the tent on fire for their amusement and for the weeks of headlines.

I wish Richard Seymour the best of luck. He played like a monster with no time with his new team and maybe he will make Oakland an 8-8 team instead of a 3-13 team. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

In Response to Seymour all done..? :  He wasn't coming back to the Pats after this season anyway so the first rounder is a good deal for future team building.
    Posted by Evil2009

+1

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from drawme. Show drawme's posts

The only way this was a good deal is if you assume the Pats will be super contenders with Brady and Moss at 36, 37 years old.  They might be - I wouldn't rule anything out where Tom Brady is concerned - but that's a helluva assumption to make.

Yes, objectively speaking that draft pick should have more value than a year of Seymour... but it's a potential championship year and their defense couldn't afford that loss.  You just don't sell out your shot at a ring this year for a maybe player in 2 years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

The only way this was a good deal is if you assume the Pats will be super contenders with Brady and Moss at 36, 37 years old.  They might be - I wouldn't rule anything out where Tom Brady is concerned - but that's a helluva assumption to make. Yes, objectively speaking that draft pick should have more value than a year of Seymour... but it's a potential championship year and their defense couldn't afford that loss.  You just don't sell out your shot at a ring this year for a maybe player in 2 years.
    Posted by drawme

Um, both Brady and Moss are 32, how would they age 4 to 5 years in 2 years?  I don't know about you, but much of first round top 10 picks are NFL ready players.....

I will not assume anything, I already know that the Pats would not have been able to keep Wilfork and Seymour....that leaves Seymour as the odd man out and I would rather have a first rounder(possibly top 10) for him in 2011 than a compensatory pick in 2010....You pick!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Umm, Seymour looked more dominating in the 4-3 Oakland played than in the 3-4 the Pats previously played. Unless the Pats plan to go back to the 3-4 in the near future, they maybey should have kept him and dealt Vince nose tackle.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

It was more than just Seymour and the first round pick. It had to do with the whole make up of the team the next few years. I still don't think people here look at the next few years. Most only look at this year and where the team will finish this year. I relate it to fantasy football where next year means nothing and it's all about now.
    BB must be looking 5 years out when putting together the best possible team for this year.
    Look do you want Wilfok or Seymour in 2 years? Wilfok because he is younger and can stop the up the middle run on his own. In 2 years Seymour will be 10 years in and not worth the money he will want now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

It was more than just Seymour and the first round pick. It had to do with the whole make up of the team the next few years. I still don't think people here look at the next few years. Most only look at this year and where the team will finish this year. I relate it to fantasy football where next year means nothing and it's all about now. BB must be looking 5 years out when putting together the best possible team for this year. Look do you want Wilfok or Seymour in 2 years? Wilfok because he is younger and can stop the up the middle run on his own. In 2 years Seymour will be 10 years in and not worth the money he will want now.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

Isn't a 1st round pick in 2011 looking toward the future? Those in the instant gratification crowd don't appreciate how hard it is to field a contender season after season instead of having a few good years then going into the toilet for 10 years

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmm21. Show gmm21's posts

My family is rooted in NE but I grew up in sunny CA. I love the Red Sox (Celtics, Bruins too) check my posts, since 1975 I have been a die hard fan, heck, even my 18 month old daughter at the time was featured in the Sox Die Hard magazine decked in Sox gear.

And yes, my only calim in CA is the Raiders. I remember the 70's & how we knew how to win and it carried over to 3 SB victories but Al Davis has ruined the team. I agree, the Raiders are an awful team at this point. The Sox know how to draft and develop players yet the Raiders do not have a clue and it never used to be that way, thanks to Al who just won't turn over the reins to someone like Bill Cowher or Bill Parcells.

Last nights game I was impressed with Seymore; he played hard and played to win. His Patriot attitude about how to play has carried over. It may very well be a Patriot steal but need to give this time. Seymore helps our lame team now and in 2011 who knows maybe, just mayve this team we used to call with pride the Silver & Black will actually turn it around, doubtful.

The TD last night was downright a bad, bad call but still a team has to overcome and the Raiders did fade late...Lets go Sox back in October, Dice K tonight, lets continue to get it done!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Anyone who thinks Seymour is done is a moron. He was the best defender on NE last season, and will be the best defender on Oakland this season. I trust NE will get something *excellent* with that selection, but the move was purely monetary. Tag and trade won't work this offseason, and on the open market a play like Seymour is going to get the same type of money it will cost to resign Wilfork AND Mankins, or at least something close. NE could have used him last night, as Buffalo wasn't shy about running at Wright. 
    Posted by zbellino

Agreed. Seymour will be their best defender (it;s him or Ashmougha). Did Asmougha sign a one year frnachise deal and can Al Davis be given the choice between franchising Asmougha or Seymour ? The Pats were never going to be able to sign Fork, Mankins, Seymour  and extend Brady, however if the concern is solely monetary ,then why are the Pats overpaying Kaczur before a deal with Fork or Mankins is discussed......uncapped year ?

Just a thought ZB, but if you have to install a 3-4 who do sign first, Seymour, Wilfork (less money), Peppers or Demarcus Ware ? Could Pioli sign Big Sey next year....he'd have someone to teach Tyson Jackson how to play 3-4 D....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

that 2011 number 1 did not do a good job stopping Fred Jackson last night!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

With the Patriots already thin at linebacker before Mayo went down; and the way Seymour looked so unstoppable in the four man rush (even when double teamed he had positive leverage); it sure would be nice to see his strength and athleticism (which no other Patriot D lineman has) in the front 7...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

With the injury to Mayo appearing to be a significant injury (which could impact his play all year if not healed correctly) Seymour will now be missed more then already accepted by us fans. I do think we have talented young players and apparently one of them is going to have to step up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

My family is rooted in NE but I grew up in sunny CA. I love the Red Sox (Celtics, Bruins too) check my posts, since 1975 I have been a die hard fan, heck, even my 18 month old daughter at the time was featured in the Sox Die Hard magazine decked in Sox gear. And yes, my only calim in CA is the Raiders. I remember the 70's & how we knew how to win and it carried over to 3 SB victories but Al Davis has ruined the team. I agree, the Raiders are an awful team at this point. The Sox know how to draft and develop players yet the Raiders do not have a clue and it never used to be that way, thanks to Al who just won't turn over the reins to someone like Bill Cowher or Bill Parcells. Last nights game I was impressed with Seymore; he played hard and played to win. His Patriot attitude about how to play has carried over. It may very well be a Patriot steal but need to give this time. Seymore helps our lame team now and in 2011 who knows maybe, just mayve this team we used to call with pride the Silver & Black will actually turn it around, doubtful. The TD last night was downright a bad, bad call but still a team has to overcome and the Raiders did fade late...Lets go Sox back in October, Dice K tonight, lets continue to get it done!
    Posted by gmm21

I agree, that was a TD....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

The Pats were never going to be able to sign Fork, Mankins, Seymour  and extend Brady, however if the concern is solely monetary ,then why are the Pats overpaying Kaczur before a deal with Fork or Mankins is discussed......uncapped year ?

I bet Kaczur begged to sign. Remember the FBI drug sting? The lower he lays the better off he'll be. The Pats didnt take long to axe Izzo once he was tied to Balco. I bet theres a lot more to that then we know. Wilfork and Mankins know that their worth a lot of coin. Trading Seymore just proved to them theres no loyalty and they'll get their money with out remorse for a "home town discount". I think what it will boil down too is will they stay on a team that has Tom Brady and Randy Moss, be in the playoffs most every year or go to some cellar dweller like Detroit or Cleveland. It'll be how bad do you want to win. I bet Leigh Bodden is feeling pretty good being on a winner now.

Sections
Shortcuts