seymour holds all the cards.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

seymour holds all the cards.

it starts with reporting to the raiders.it starts by takeing his physical,not takeing is the same as failing one.he can sit out until he gets a new contract,and he can afford to do so.he can retire if he just decided he dosent want to play anymore.he can still be a member of the pats if he fails to do all the above.not takeing the physical is the biggest key.he dosent take it,its like failing it,and the trade is a no go,and the first round pick is no more.but yes he is very bitter,in all cases.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/09/source-seymour-thought-he-was-getting-a-new-deal-in-new-england/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: seymour holds all the cards.

I don't think he has much of a choice in the matter.  If he doesn't show he doesn't get paid and he will not be able to enter free agency.  Seymour is stuck.

All Seymour is going through is the shock of it all.  It stunned us so you can imagine what it must of done to him.  I don't trust these agents either.  They lie to meet their own end.  Who knows what the real truth is?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

i agree it starts with him being bitter,and mad,but if he was led to think he was getting a new contract with the pats,im sure it did floor him.im sure he is weighing all his options.from reporting to the raiders,to not wanting to play the game anymore.no way he will be playing this monday,so he could report to the raiders by tuesday.after that it cuts into the 2nd weeks game plan,and then you have a problem.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

In Response to seymour holds all the cards.:
    [QUOTE]it starts with reporting to the raiders.it starts by takeing his physical,not takeing is the same as failing one.he can sit out until he gets a new contract,and he can afford to do so.he can retire if he just decided he dosent want to play anymore.he can still be a member of the pats if he fails to do all the above.not takeing the physical is the biggest key.he dosent take it,its like failing it,and the trade is a no go,and the first round pick is no more.but yes he is very bitter,in all cases. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/09/source-seymour-thought-he-was-getting-a-new-deal-in-new-england/
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE] Let us suppose that RS decides not to report to the Raiders do you contend that the Pats/Raiders have no recourse but
    to accept his terms?? I disagree if he fails to report soon most likely by this week-end he will receivew the five day letter. If at the end of the five day period he has not reported he will go on the did not report list, which means he cannot play this year for any team, and without compensation. I believe he must still honor his contract should he deciede to return next year, plus he may still have the franchise tag applied. By the time he plays out his options he'll be 33 yrs old and looking for a long term contract. He had better wise up and show up in Oakland. 
    He may think by not reporting he can force BB and the Pats to take him back.  He has played his last down as a Pat and ruining any chance for a long term contract IMO. IMO he 's playing with a house deck.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to seymour holds all the cards.:
    [QUOTE]it starts with reporting to the raiders.it starts by takeing his physical,not takeing is the same as failing one.he can sit out until he gets a new contract,and he can afford to do so.he can retire if he just decided he dosent want to play anymore.he can still be a member of the pats if he fails to do all the above.not takeing the physical is the biggest key.he dosent take it,its like failing it,and the trade is a no go,and the first round pick is no more.but yes he is very bitter,in all cases. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/09/source-seymour-thought-he-was-getting-a-new-deal-in-new-england/
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]Yeah he holds all the retirement cards!! If he expects too get paid this year he'd better take azz to Oakland,if not he better pick up his stuff and move to South Carolina!!!The Patriots will not take him back.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

$eymour holds nothing.  If he doesn't go to Oakland he will never play football again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: seymour holds all the cards.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to seymour holds all the cards. : Let us suppose that RS decides not to report to the Raiders do you contend that the Pats/Raiders have no recourse but to accept his terms?? I disagree if he fails to report soon most likely by this week-end he will receivew the five day letter. If at the end of the five day period he has not reported he will go on the did not report list, which means he cannot play this year for any team, and without compensation. I believe he must still honor his contract should he deciede to return next year, plus he may still have the franchise tag applied. By the time he plays out his options he'll be 33 yrs old and looking for a long term contract. He had better wise up and show up in Oakland.  He may think by not reporting he can force BB and the Pats to take him back.  He has played his last down as a Pat and ruining any chance for a long term contract IMO. IMO he 's playing with a house deck.
    Posted by sonieboy[/QUOTE]Actually if he recieves the 5 day letter from either team he can no longer play this year if he still refuses to report and the contract does carry over until his next playing season and he won't see Free agency until 2011 if that happens next year before the season the Patriots could just trade him again if he doesn't report again just repeat the process...The only cards that Richard Seymour is holding are the with the information written on them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

i know thats what some want,but if he dosent take the physical,the trade dosent go through,that simple,and he will remain the property of the pats.i know we can say if he still wants to play football,but thats if it matters to him either way.if isnt something positive.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

if rs is willing to throw away his career to punish the pats or avoid playing in oakland then he does hold the all the cards. However, i can't imagine rs is ready to throw away his career because he is upset.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

but at 30,basicly his career is over,at least thats what some say when a player is 29 on up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogbones. Show dogbones's posts

Unless he or his agent feel that their was some type of oral agreement with the Pats. Then it's a case of  they said/they said. Maybe that's why he is so shocked and pi**ed off.  Hard case for court either way. Good time for some type of settlement, like no franchise tag either way.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nausetwaves. Show nausetwaves's posts

I put this on another post that got "burried" behind more recent ones.

According to Michael Lombardi of nationalfootballpost.com (as heard on 98.5 today), the paperwork is in and the trade is complete.  Unless Seymour fails a physical, he is a Raider.  If he fails the physical, the trade is nullified and he comes back to the Pats.  He can retire but risks the possiblity of being sued for his signing bonus (a la Jake Plummer... who lost in court).  Lombardi didn't specify which team would have the burden of taking him to court, but unless he is injured, his other options are to report or sit out.  If he sits out or doesn't take the physical, the Raiders can put him on the "did not report" list and he loses money.  If he sits out the season, he loses this year toward free agency.  Bottom line (as I understood Lombardi):  unless he takes the physical and fails, he is a Raider and is their resonsibility.

Because of the CBA, this is an issue between Seymour and the Raiders and the Raiders have the upper hand financially here.  While he may have enough money to retire, he stands to be sued for his signing bonus of approximately $6 million.  I don't know if he wants to lose that much money.

Some are hoping that Commissioner Goodell makes the Pats give back the pick if Seymour doesn't report.  If Goodell were to circumvent the CBA, it opens up a huge can of worms for any team trying to trade a player in the future as any player not satisfied with his trade destination would do the same.  This could virtually eliminate NFL trades and put all of the power in the hands of the players.  I doubt that the owners would allow that.

Also, Adam Schefter has proposed a scenario (don't know if this is only speculation) where the Raiders offer Seymour to Carolina for Peppers because the Panthers are sick of Peppers' demands while Seymour has his summer residence in relative proximity to Charlotte.

This could make everyone happy but sounds like a longshot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

how much of that 6 million is left for this year,he is on his final year now.plus its sad that this can fall back on the pats lap like a dirty tactic of some sorts,just more drama.more dirt people can say about the pats.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nausetwaves. Show nausetwaves's posts

The way Lombardi put it, they could go after all of the signing bonus.  I could have misunderstood him, though.  He really made it sound as if Seymour doesn't have any real leverage in this case.  It could get messy, but he sounded very confident that in the end the Pats would keep the pick and the dispute is now between the Raiders and Seymour.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Blomie. Show Blomie's posts

Seymour's holding out a few years back and his present tactics show you that he will be difficult and over-demands when his contract expires next year had he stayed a Patroit this season, so BB is right in trading him now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]I put this on another post that got "burried" behind more recent ones. According to Michael Lombardi of nationalfootballpost.com (as heard on 98.5 today), the paperwork is in and the trade is complete.  Unless Seymour fails a physical, he is a Raider.  If he fails the physical, the trade is nullified and he comes back to the Pats.  He can retire but risks the possiblity of being sued for his signing bonus (a la Jake Plummer... who lost in court).  Lombardi didn't specify which team would have the burden of taking him to court, but unless he is injured, his other options are to report or sit out.  If he sits out or doesn't take the physical, the Raiders can put him on the "did not report" list and he loses money.  If he sits out the season, he loses this year toward free agency.  Bottom line (as I understood Lombardi):  unless he takes the physical and fails, he is a Raider and is their resonsibility. Because of the CBA, this is an issue between Seymour and the Raiders and the Raiders have the upper hand financially here.  While he may have enough money to retire, he stands to be sued for his signing bonus of approximately $6 million.  I don't know if he wants to lose that much money. Some are hoping that Commissioner Goodell makes the Pats give back the pick if Seymour doesn't report.  If Goodell were to circumvent the CBA, it opens up a huge can of worms for any team trying to trade a player in the future as any player not satisfied with his trade destination would do the same.  This could virtually eliminate NFL trades and put all of the power in the hands of the players.  I doubt that the owners would allow that. Also, Adam Schefter has proposed a scenario (don't know if this is only speculation) where the Raiders offer Seymour to Carolina for Peppers because the Panthers are sick of Peppers' demands while Seymour has his summer residence in relative proximity to Charlotte. This could make everyone happy but sounds like a longshot.
    Posted by nausetwaves[/QUOTE]

When did Adam say that?  That makes absolutely no sense. NONE!!! NONE what so ever....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Moss et al...

If Seymour does anything that is recounted throughout this string, it only lends further credence to the perception he is out for himself on his terms only as we have experienced with his hold outs and other shenanigans.  If he does it, it is OK, if the team does it, they are b*st*rds.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nausetwaves. Show nausetwaves's posts

I completely agree.  When you add to this the fact that they need to re-sign Wilfork, Seymour's age, and his ability to make it through an entire season the trade seems like the best possible course of action.

Felger and Massorati have been trashing the trade on 98.5 because they want instant results from the trade because, as they put it, Brady isn't getting any younger.  They also can't get over the fact that the pick is in 2011 instead of 2010.  They keep pointing to the idea that BB did this in anticipation of a rookie salary cap, but they haven't considerred the following facts:

1)  next year may be uncapped.. which could equate to ridiculous salary demands
    2)  they need to re-sign Brady, Wilfork, Jarvis Green, and Mankins (????) not sure on Mankins
    3)  they already have 4 picks in the first two round of the draft
    4)  how in the world would they accomplish the re-signings and then (potentially) sign 2 first-round and 3-second round draft picks in the same year?!?!  and one of the first rounders would probably be in the top 5!!!!!

Great trade in my opinion.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]The way Lombardi put it, they could go after all of the signing bonus.  I could have misunderstood him, though.  He really made it sound as if Seymour doesn't have any real leverage in this case.  It could get messy, but he sounded very confident that in the end the Pats would keep the pick and the dispute is now between the Raiders and Seymour.
    Posted by nausetwaves[/QUOTE]

I believe generally the signing bonus is spread across the length of the contract and he Sey is in his last year so the raiders would be entitled to go after the fractional portion of the bonus that is left. Kind of depends on how the contract was written at the time.

...but yes if Sey tried to retire OR was put on the did not show list by the Raiders then he would lose out on his salary this season AS WELL AS some millions from his bonus of the current contract he is on. SO it is NOT JUST the 3.7 mil this year he would be saying goodbye to.

Also to clarify for some people who are still asking. Sey IS currently the possession of the Raiders. He is NO longer a Patriot. He is NOT on the 53 man Patriot roster. They have filled that spot. He is not counting against the Patriots salary cap. He currently has NOTHING to do with the Patriots organization. He is however ON the Raiders current 53 man roster AND counting against their salary cap.

If he does not show up for work it IS the RAIDERS who would be burdened with sending him the 5 day warning letter, etc.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

agcsbill-thats what im wondering,the media could translate this,or the raiders org.could say something in the terms,that the pats were haveing problems,with seymour,or that they knew there would be problems,so they made a trade behind seymours back,and piled all this mess on the raiders,and stole there 1st rd pick.im not saying this,but it could be translated this way,and then the pats will have another negative mark against them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nausetwaves. Show nausetwaves's posts

The Adam Schefter thing was a small bit that I found on ESPN.com's Insider section... under NFL rumors.  I don't know if this is a rumor or if he just put it in as something that might be possible.  I think that it was just something that he theorized could work.  He hinted that Seymour wouldn't mind going to Charlotte because his summer home is close to Charlotte and they aren't the Raiders... while Peppers could get all of the money that he wants because Al Davis would probably have no probelm in paying him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]The Adam Schefter thing was a small bit that I found on ESPN.com's Insider section... under NFL rumors.  I don't know if this is a rumor or if he just put it in as something that might be possible.  I think that it was just something that he theorized could work.  He hinted that Seymour wouldn't mind going to Charlotte because his summer home is close to Charlotte and they aren't the Raiders... while Peppers could get all of the money that he wants because Al Davis would probably have no probelm in paying him.
    Posted by nausetwaves[/QUOTE] they are saying here the whole deal could be voided.depending on the actual agreement,in which we dont know.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2009/09/09/seymour-cost-would-be-considerable/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nausetwaves. Show nausetwaves's posts

Moss Effect

People could translate the deal that way, but it doesn't matter.  Seymour was under contract to the Pats without a "no trade" clause.  They were free to trade him to any team that would make the trade with them without any reguard to Seymour's wishes.  That is the way that it works.  If Al "the Crypt Keeper' Davis was willing to make the trade, then he gets what he gets.  There is no "lemon law" in professional sports. 

Once again, we Pats fans should thak Al Davis for making a trade that will keep our team very competitive in the long term without giving up anything that tremendously hurts the Pats.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nausetwaves. Show nausetwaves's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: seymour holds all the cards. : they are saying here the whole deal could be voided.depending on the actual agreement,in which we dont know. http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2009/09/09/seymour-cost-would-be-considerable/
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

The thing about that line that I have a problem with is that it is very vague and at the end of the article.  Plus..... it is on Oakland's equivalent to this website.  They don't want to have to deal with a possible loss of the draft pick without seeing much to show for it.  If there is something that could void the deal (other than Seymour failing a physical), I would expect that it would have been all over ESPN, the Boston Globe, etc. by now and the deal would probably have already been voided (unless the Raiders are working on a contract with Seymour as we speek).

Sections
Shortcuts