seymour holds all the cards.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

Re: seymour holds all the cards.

According to a source cited in another post, Seymour is on the Raiders official NFL roster and not on the Patriots NFL roster. The Patriots cap listing also does not reflect Seymour's cap hit. The same poster (no source listed) stated that only failing the physical negates the trade. The Raiders are issuing the 'five day letter'. Sounds like he is their problem. Sounds like a done deal to me.
    Does anyone have a source that quotes the rule book or other official source?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: seymour holds all the cards.:
    The Adam Schefter thing was a small bit that I found on ESPN.com's Insider section... under NFL rumors.  I don't know if this is a rumor or if he just put it in as something that might be possible.  I think that it was just something that he theorized could work.  He hinted that Seymour wouldn't mind going to Charlotte because his summer home is close to Charlotte and they aren't the Raiders... while Peppers could get all of the money that he wants because Al Davis would probably have no probelm in paying him.
    Posted by nausetwaves

Ah, my misunderstanding of your post earlier. My bad, thanks for the clarification.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Seymour holds something but it isn't cards...

More like holding the turd from crapping his pants upon hearing of the trade to the Raiders.

I am sure he'll get a reasonable new deal from the raiders. They do not want to rent him for 16 weeks. I doubt they really want to Franchise him next year either. Someone said it would be north of 12mil and F-Tag's are guaranteed money. ...and Seymour would like a bit of injury protection for this year I would think.

My guess is that both sides would like an extention as their are benefits for both in doing so, if it is financially reasonable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Seymour is a d*ck

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmo1679. Show wmo1679's posts

Seymour doesnt hold all the cards but he better play his cards right. If he rufuses to show  in oakland he'll be placed the did not report list and will not be able to play this year and lose his FA status for next season. He's 29 looking for one last big payday. He's more likely to get it now than in two years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc686. Show jc686's posts

Fascinating stuff

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

If he's holding a card it's a duece. Seymore and his agent had made it quite clear that they were going to want big guarenteed money when he hit FA next year. There was no way the Pats were going to fork out a fat multi year contract to a player that hasn't played a full season in 3 years.

As for Oakland trading him for Peppers I can't think of a single reason why the Panthers would even consider it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

I don't think he has much of a choice in the matter.  If he doesn't show he doesn't get paid and he will not be able to enter free agency.  Seymour is stuck. All Seymour is going through is the shock of it all.  It stunned us so you can imagine what it must of done to him.  I don't trust these agents either.  They lie to meet their own end.  Who knows what the real truth is?
    Posted by garytx

Agree. Seymour doesn't hold all the cards, unless of course he decides to retire and I don't think this is likely. If I were him, I would probably be holding out trying to get the Raiders to gaurantee that they won't franchise me. That aside, I'll bet he'd like to kick BB's ***.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

According to a source cited in another post, Seymour is on the Raiders official NFL roster and not on the Patriots NFL roster. The Patriots cap listing also does not reflect Seymour's cap hit. The same poster (no source listed) stated that only failing the physical negates the trade. The Raiders are issuing the 'five day letter'. Sounds like he is their problem. Sounds like a done deal to me. Does anyone  have a source that quotes the rule book or other official source?
    Posted by markes8336

Seymour cannot be officially listed until he takes, and passes a physical administered by the Raiders.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Seymour may hold all the cards but they are not a winning hand and here is why... He has to do one of the following: Retire, or go to Oakland play out the season and then take offers, and the only other thing he can do is try to get a long term contract before reporting to Oakland. The last option sounds like why he hasn't reported and that is weird cause I am shocked he would want to basicly finish his career in Oakland the cess pool of the NFL just because he might get paid so to speak there!
    If that is the case then he answers his critics here in New England by agreeing with them that he is in it for the money and hasn't lived up to the last big contract he signed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

In Response to Re: seymour holds all the cards. : Seymour cannot be officially listed until he takes, and passes a physical administered by the Raiders.
    Posted by Shadowcpt

I have to respectfully disagree.
    This is cut and pasted from Oakland's roster on NFL.com. I called NFL HQ in New York. They said the rosters listed on NFL.com are provided by the NFL, not the team, and are official (they own the site). I think the only way this changes is if he subsequently should fail his physical.

2Russell, JaMarcusQBACT6'6"2608/9/19853Louisiana State
    64Satele, SamsonCACT6'3"30011/29/19843Hawaii
    81Schilens, ChazWRACT6'4"22511/7/19852San Diego State
    91Scott, TrevorDEACT6'5"2558/30/19842Buffalo
     Seymour, RichardDEACT6'6"31010/6/19799Georgia
    77Shaughnessy, MattDEACT6'5"2709/23/19860Wisconsin
    86Stewart, TonyTEACT6'5"2608/9/19799Penn State

On lighter note...I didn't even know Tony Stewart played football - lol. Multi-talented guy, eh?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

actually it will be nice to see seymour back in a pats uniform soon.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/3640/seymour-update-2

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

If he's holding a card it's a duece. Seymore and his agent had made it quite clear that they were going to want big guarenteed money when he hit FA next year. There was no way the Pats were going to fork out a fat multi year contract to a player that hasn't played a full season in 3 years.  As for Oakland trading him for Peppers I can't think of a single reason why the Panthers would even consider it.
    Posted by Evil2009

I suspect if the Panthers were willing to trade Peppers for Seymour the Pats would have looked into it, themselvs

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

actually it will be nice to see seymour back in a pats uniform soon. http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1196539&format=text
    Posted by mosseffect43

No offense, moss, but what in that article made you think he'd stay a Patriot? All that is there is that he hadn't reported and a typical Belichek eflection of the question. Nothing remotely suggests that Seymour would be back. I respect your opinion ordinarily, even if I disagree, but I don't see what you see in that article.

It is a moot point now that the Raiders have sent the five day letter. Actually, it has been a relatively moot point for several days since Seymour was placed on the Raiders official NFL roster. The only thing that could reverse the trade then was a failed physical.

From Reiss' column:
    The Raiders decision to send Seymour the letter is good news for the Patriots. It is basically an admission by Oakland that Seymour, who was traded to Oakland on Sunday for a 2011 first-round pick, is now their property and their problem, not that of the Patriots.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: seymour holds all the cards. : No offense, moss, but what in that article made you think he'd stay a Patriot? All that is there is that he hadn't reported and a typical Belichek eflection of the question. Nothing remotely suggests that Seymour would be back. I respect your opinion ordinarily, even if I disagree, but I don't see what you see in that article. It is a moot point now that the Raiders have sent the five day letter. Actually, it has been a relatively moot point for several days since Seymour was placed on the Raiders official NFL roster. The only thing that could reverse the trade then was a failed physical. From Reiss' column: The Raiders decision to send Seymour the letter is good news for the Patriots. It is basically an admission by Oakland that Seymour, who was traded to Oakland on Sunday for a 2011 first-round pick, is now their property and their problem, not that of the Patriots. http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/
    Posted by markes8336
    that was the wrong article, im sure he isnt worried about the letter,but read the bottom of the article i meant to post.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/3640/seymour-update-2

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I'm thinking that it's possible that the league, the Pats and the Raiders are communicating behind the scenes and that it may have been agreed that the Raiders must send the five day letter but if Seymour is put on the "did not report" list then the league would then nullify the deal.  Then the Pats would own his rights but he doesn't play this year.

This could be the way they handle it because if the Pats sent the letter it makes all trades impossible unless the player agrees.  

I'm not saying this is true, I'm just wondering if it's a possibility.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from revereman. Show revereman's posts

The only card Seymour is hoding is the JOKER! He is through with the Pats if he doesn't go to the Raiders. And, if he does not go, the he will be out of football for good. I never liked his attitude and his play good for a couple of plays and rest for a couple of plays. He never was a true Patriot. He never had the spirit of a Brady, Wilfolk, or Harrison.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from eeadams33. Show eeadams33's posts

Looks like Seymour and his agent are being sticklers and holding to the "letter of the Collective Bargaining Agreement Law"

According to Mark Miller at Yahoo Sports:

The initial word was that he had some sort of financial issue to work out with the Patriots. But now it's appearing there is some other issue, according to the Oakland Tribune. Seymour is apparently waiting for the Raiders to tell him exactly where they need him to go.

There is apparently a section in the current collective bargaining agreement that gives teams "the right" to send the player involved in a transaction a letter that tells him exactly when and where he needs to show up and get a physical and all the rest. Seymour is apparently waiting for his letter and Raiders coach Tom Cable has no idea if the team has sent one or even plans to send one.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Seymour-won-t-be-in-Raiders-uniform-for-first-ga;_ylt=AhMM4hJEn6b5Xo01uPAaA0RDubYF?urn=nfl,188857

Oakland finally got around to sending that letter yesterday.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

If he wants to get paid, and not lose his right to be a UFA next season he will report. In other words when he's done with his snit fit he will be a Raider.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Word is, Oakland sent him the '5 day letter' meaning he needs to report to Oakland in 5 days or he's on the reserve/did not report list.  If he's placed on this list he gives up this season and the right to become UFA at the end of it.  Oakland can also pursue recouping some of his bonus payments.  There is no way any of this works in Seymour's favor and he most certainly does not hold all the cards.  His player rights are the property of the Oakland Raiders and they traded a first round draft choice in 2011 for those rights to the Patriots.

Seymour needs to report and get over it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

In Response to seymour holds all the cards.:
    it starts with reporting to the raiders.it starts by takeing his physical,not takeing is the same as failing one.he can sit out until he gets a new contract,and he can afford to do so.he can retire if he just decided he dosent want to play anymore.he can still be a member of the pats if he fails to do all the above.not takeing the physical is the biggest key.he dosent take it,its like failing it,and the trade is a no go,and the first round pick is no more.but yes he is very bitter,in all cases. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/09/source-seymour-thought-he-was-getting-a-new-deal-in-new-england/
    Posted by mosseffect43

I would say they need something in the new CBA to keep this from happening. If Seymour fails to report he should be suspended for the year without pay and his rights should continue to be the Patriots' for next year.  If you don't do it that way then you essentially grant players unlimited no trade clauses and undermine the whole 'franchise player' distinction as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

There's a possibility this could all still blow up in the Patriots face, with them having to return the pick and stuck w/ a player they can't (or won't) use. But that'd be thru the Commissioners decision and it seems unlikely it would reach that point. Ineligible for the season, blowing off $3.7 million (at age 30) and losing a year towards free agency? That makes zero sense.
    The predecessor to this is the Jake Plummer from Denver to Tampa trade a few years ago, where Plummer ended up retiring and Denver still wound up with its draft pick. Apparently, the fact that Oakland sent him the 5-day letter means something, in terms of end responsibility. In the long run, Seymour's clearly only hurting himself by not reporting, on several different levels.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

how much of that 6 million is left for this year,he is on his final year now.plus its sad that this can fall back on the pats lap like a dirty tactic of some sorts,just more drama.more dirt people can say about the pats.
    Posted by mosseffect43

It can't.....Seymour is a Raider now, the only way it falls back to the Pats is if he fails the physical.  That is it.  If he doesn't take it, he gets suspended by the league (As an Oakland Raider).  If he retires, he retires as a Raider. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Seymour and his agent overplayed their hand with the Patriots...and are overplaying their hand now with the Raiders. The only cards Seymour holds are jokers.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

In Response to Re: seymour holds all the cards. : that was the wrong article, im sure he isnt worried about the letter,but read the bottom of the article i meant to post. http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/3640/seymour-update-2
    Posted by mosseffect43

I had a feeling you cited the wrong link. You're forgiven - lol.

That said, Williamson's point (in the right article - lol) was negated when the Raiders finally sent the five day letter. You can only demand a player to report if you own him, which the Raiders are now accepting. I think some of the delay may have been behind-the-scenes discussion among all parties to determine whether Seymour would play for the Pats if the deal was somehow stopped. My guess is that Oakland found out that there was no way that would happen and ultimately had to accept that Seymour is now their property (albeit, pending a successful physical), and thereby, their responsibility.
    Again, the only way the deal dies now is if Seymour would somehow miraculously fail his physical (since he was healthy while practicing with the Pats). That might cause the commissioner to scrutinize the deal, otherwise the rules are in place and the commish really has no need to intervene.

Sections
Shortcuts