Seymour to Raiders

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ihatefishing. Show ihatefishing's posts

Re: Seymour to Raiders

People always complained that the defense was old and slow. Can't say that anymore.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Who plays DE now..Jarvis Green fulltime? Pryor? Wright?....RU@#$%$ me?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

OMG  what a shocker!!!! However we had some questions about him anyway. (we meaning some of us on the board) I bet there are a lot of teams kicking themselves for not asking about a trade. Bet Seymore is a little pissed. What's next??

IBWT!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LucicForPresident. Show LucicForPresident's posts

Good Trade, Seymour is getting old and has had his share of injuries.  The Raiders stink, so it should end up being a top 10 pick in 2 years.

Hurts now, but won't matter unless the Pats can't stop the run all year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Visio. Show Visio's posts

If we could parlay that first round pick to get a guy like McCoy, from Oklahoma, we will have someone better and younger that Seymour. He is as good as it gets. (Hope I got his name right). Oakland is not going to win very many games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Blomie. Show Blomie's posts

In Response to Re: Seymour to Raiders:
    [QUOTE]They got the Raiders first pick in 2011-it's a steal for the Pats and frees up cap space to re-sign Wilfork. They weren't going to bring Seymour back anyway, and the Raiders will almost definitely pick in the top 5 in 2011. Great trade in my mind.
    Posted by rahraw[/QUOTE]

I thought the conventional wisdome is that BB does not want  to get those top 5 first round draft picks. Too expensive and unproven.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Not sure how I feel on this on yet, but remember that by 2011 there will most likely be some sort or rookie pay scale. So a top 10 pick is probably going to be worth it. Do the Raiders not have 1st rd. 2010 pick?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NastyPatriot. Show NastyPatriot's posts

I believe this is going to be something bigger....Bill is not going to keep a top 10 pick, he hates top 10 picks....I believe they package this pick for a player....maybe...hmm...Peppers?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from munichpatsfan. Show munichpatsfan's posts

WOW!!!! Even if it is "only" a 2011 first round pick they now have more firepower than ever in the upcoming draft. Seymour was in his contract year and will be a free agent after the season, so i would call this a good trade. Although it might hurt them in the short term. Time to bring in some pass rushing LBs an sign Wilfork to a long term deal. Maybe they are trying to unretire Kevin Carter. Wasn´t he they guy try had in for a workout and who retired?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

O M G..... This move lands us a 2011 1st rd pick which is great but the only way this is a good move is if Wilfork is signed immedietely. Another thought Raiders might be good by 2010 therefore tempering our expectations for a top 5 pick in the 1st rd of 2011!

Goodbye Seymour another staple of our superbowl teams gone. Thanks and sorry about Oakland!

Rodney,Vrabel,Bruschi and now Seymour!  O M G

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

[QUOTE]Not sure how I feel on this on yet, but remember that by 2011 there will most likely be some sort or rookie pay scale. So a top 10 pick is probably going to be worth it. Do the Raiders not have 1st rd. 2010 pick?
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan[/QUOTE]
    If there is a rookie Payscale, this will turn out to be a very shrewd move.We have still lost  a tremendous leader on the field and in the Locker room. How do you think Brady and the rest of the players feel about this one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

[QUOTE]People always complained that the defense was old and slow. Can't say that anymore.
    Posted by ihatefishing[/QUOTE]

Yes you are right - we are getting younger every week!!! Last week Bruschi - this week Seymour - who is it next week? I do not think there are any veteran guys left.

I thought the problem was third down efficiency and a pass rush would help with covering recievers down field. I thought Seymour was our best pass rushing defensive lineman. This is shocking every way you look at it.

I do wish Richard all the best. Great guy, great with the fans, great moments, great person - there is nothing but great things to say about Richard. Always liked him, he will be tremendously missed. GO BULLDOGS!!!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rahraw. Show rahraw's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seymour to Raiders : I thought the conventional wisdome is that BB does not want  to get those top 5 first round draft picks. Too expensive and unproven.
    Posted by Blomie[/QUOTE]

In 2008, when BB had San Francisco's pick, he traded back and picked Mayo at ten. That worked out pretty well, didn't it. I think everyone on this board would agree that Oakland projects as one of the 5 worst teams in the NFL in 2010, if not the worst, so the pick is high compensation for one year of Seymour.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Bill does not hate top 10 picks...Right now the top 7 picks are way overpaid and then it starts to get a little more reasonable. He took Mayo at 10 and I believe took Seymour at like 6 or something. We just never have to pick in the top 10 because we win games. If there is a player there that is worth it Bill will get him. If not he will trade back. Simple as that. I wrote earlier there will be a rookie pay scale by 2011. Lets hope the Raiders lose every game and we get the number one overall pick in 2011.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mario11. Show mario11's posts

Well at least we have Crable stashed on IR....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Who cares about 2011? Who plays DE..Brace is a freakin' nose, isnt he? Maybe Peppers is coming here with that pick...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seymour to Raiders : In 2008, when BB had San Francisco's pick, he traded back and picked Mayo at ten. That worked out pretty well, didn't it. I think everyone on this board would agree that Oakland projects as one of the 5 worst teams in the NFL in 2010, if not the worst, so the pick is high compensation for one year of Seymour.
    Posted by rahraw[/QUOTE]

If NastyPatriot is right and it is a precursor to getting Peppers than all is well. Remember we learned about Vrabel going to the Chiefs before we heard about Cassel. Have to wait and see.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

First Round pick in 2011 may be more valuable after the new collective argreement. A Rookie pay scale.

I will miss Richard he has been a solid pro actually was the most dominante d-lineman in the leauge for a few years, I think the pats won some bling in that time.  I would say his production over the last few years has been a little down, maybe due to injury.  I am also in the thinking he wasn't coming back when his deal was up.

Good Luck to #93

Can't wait till monday or this afternoon when the other shoe drops!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

Just goes to show you....you have as much value to the team playing, as you do being traded.

Seymour was the man. I wish him the best. I'm sure this is a small strand of a much larger web that BB will weave over the next 2 seasons.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Some sports columnists and reporters views:

sportsguy33 (Bill Simmons) This is a hijacking. Most overrated Patriot. RT: @Adam_Schefter Richard Seymour traded to Oakland for 2011 first-round pick.
  21. Chris Mortensenmortreport1st rder is 2011 but always potential top 5/10 pick with Raiders.
  22. Adam SchefterAdam_SchefterSeymour turns 30 later this season. New England gets back a first-rounder that could turn out to be a high first. Wow.
  23. Chris MortensenmortreportGood job partner! RT @Adam_Schefter: Richard Seymour traded to Oakland for Raiders 2011 first-round pick.
  24. Chris MortensenmortreportBelichick strikes again: Richard Seymour dealt to Raiders for 1st rounder - top 5, top 10 pick? Seymour last yr contract & declining,

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Plastics017. Show Plastics017's posts

Maybe they're setting up to get Julius Peppers?  Is that a possibility?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NastyPatriot. Show NastyPatriot's posts

[QUOTE]Bill does not hate top 10 picks...Right now the top 7 picks are way overpaid and then it starts to get a little more reasonable. He took Mayo at 10 and I believe took Seymour at like 6 or something. We just never have to pick in the top 10 because we win games. If there is a player there that is worth it Bill will get him. If not he will trade back. Simple as that. I wrote earlier there will be a rookie pay scale by 2011. Lets hope the Raiders lose every game and we get the number one overall pick in 2011.
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan[/QUOTE]

I see what your saying, but BB has been quoted in saying he prefers not to have top 10 picks because you have to invest so much money in the player, it's a big risk. I don't see a rookie pay scale for a while....the players union will raise a stink over it. I really see us packaging this pick for a player that Bill wants...who knows what's going on, but I just have a feeling this whole deal with player movement isn't done.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe they're setting up to get Julius Peppers?  Is that a possibility?
    Posted by Plastics017[/QUOTE] i know anything is possible,but do the pats have the cap space?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]not if they keep improving there roster,and two years from now they could be putting a winning season together.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

Exactly! This pick probably isn't in the top half of that draft!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Seymour was likely in his last year with the Pats.  We couldn't afford to sign him, Wilfork, and let's not forget Brady.  Something had to give.  My thoughts:

1. We got a 1st round draft pick for what amounts to a single year of Seymour.  He'd be gone next year.

2. Don't assume our pick will be high in 2011.  I know the Raiders are acting crazy nowadays, but how many bad teams have we seen rise up overnight lately?  Hope it doesn't happen, but never say never.

3. We're not done trading.  I think we still have a trade for Feeley coming in a couple of weeks and who knows what else.  

4. Is it just me, or has Seymour been somewhat injury prone?  Even the best player can't make a tackle from the sidelines.

• Sections
    Shortcuts