Seymour to Raiders

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Re: Seymour to Raiders

In Response to Re: Seymour to Raiders:
    In Response to Re: Seymour to Raiders : If there is a rookie Payscale, this will turn out to be a very shrewd move.We have still lost  a tremendous leader on the field and in the Locker room. How do you think Brady and the rest of the players feel about this one.
    Posted by patriots44

I agree we have lost a leader and everything. In fact we have lost everything that this defense was this off season. Rodney, Vrabes, Bruschi, Seymour. I think our "definite" AFC Championship game appearance and SB favourites have diminished a bit. We still have one of the most explosive offenses in the league. I see this season as the Pats being kind of what the Colts were from 03-06. High powered offense but heavily struggled on D. So when we play teams like the Steelers who have top notch D and a not great but still a very "clutch" offense we will struggle.

How do I think Brady and the team are reacting. I think they will say "you know everyone's situation is different. We can only focus on the players that are here. He was a great player and will be missed, but we have to move on." And I think they will move on by the time the season starts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Where the he## is Paul Harvey...with the rest of the story......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

Who fills the empty roster slot? Hmmmmm.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Seymour was likely in his last year with the Pats.  We couldn't afford to sign him, Wilfork, and let's not forget Brady.  Something had to give.  My thoughts: 1. We got a 1st round draft pick for what amounts to a single year of Seymour.  He'd be gone next year. 2. Don't assume our pick will be high in 2011.  I know the Raiders are acting crazy nowadays, but how many bad teams have we seen rise up overnight lately?  Hope it doesn't happen, but never say never. 3. We're not done trading.  I think we still have a trade for Feeley coming in a couple of weeks and who knows what else.   4. Is it just me, or has Seymour been somewhat injury prone?  Even the best player can't make a tackle from the sidelines.
    Posted by carawaydj
    this is true.the pats are setting up for something.rather it be a big name,or just guys to fill in the blanks.only time will tell.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

I thought this was a dream, as I was halfway through a nap and listening to Adam Schefter stating "Seymour was traded to the Oakland Patriots" for a 2011 first round draft choice. It would seem the current strength of the DL, including the potential of rookie Ron Brace and the future contracts of Vince and Richard contributed to this move. 
    I may not always like what Bill is doing with the team, but he knows what he's doing. It's too bad Seymour has been traded, he's contributed a great deal while he was here. Here's to hoping this won't turn into a nightmare.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

In Response to Re: Seymour to Raiders : Exactly! This pick probably isn't in the top half of that draft!
    Posted by TrueChamp

From the ESPN website:

The five-time Pro Bowler and three-time Super Bowl champion matched his career high with eight sacks in 2008. (Bold added).

I want another ring. We just lost our best defensive line pass rusher. Brace and Pryor are not going to pass rush. Green and Wright with 4 sacks each while being double teamed? Not a chance - you are dreaming.

Seymour is overrated????? He is our ONLY freaking defensive end that gets sacks even though he draws a double team. That is OVER RATED?????

Hope something else is in the works. Otherwise it will be a long season of watching the Jets and Dolphins convert 3rd and 12 on a regular basis.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

This is a good move. At least until 3rd string running backs make our defense look like swiss cheese.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

In 2010, the Patriots scored an amazing 640 points...ending up 9-7 for the season.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

In Response to Re: Seymour to Raiders : I see what your saying, but BB has been quoted in saying he prefers not to have top 10 picks because you have to invest so much money in the player, it's a big risk. I don't see a rookie pay scale for a while....the players union will raise a stink over it. I really see us packaging this pick for a player that Bill wants...who knows what's going on, but I just have a feeling this whole deal with player movement isn't done.
    Posted by NastyPatriot

Well if there is not a rookie payscale by the start of 2011 I don't think there will be football. Talks about the new CBA from the owners side of things this is a must. It is one of their top points. So if the NFLPA cannot agree to a pay scale for rookies then we will not have a 2011 NFL season in my opinion.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I think it's a brilliant move. There is no way the Pat's were going to sign Both wilfork and seymour next year. They would have lost seymour for nothing. Now they get an early first round pick, and free up 3.3 mil. this year to help fill some needs. Plus I always thought seymour was slightly overrated. He was a good player but not nearly as good as some made him out. Wilfork is more important on the D-line.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Seymour to Raiders : I thought the conventional wisdome is that BB does not want  to get those top 5 first round draft picks. Too expensive and unproven.
    Posted by Blomie

Blomie:

Remember...a strike, and a new collective bargaining agreement with the NFLPA looms. Odds are that by 2011, a new rookie salary structure will be in place which will severely restrict what top rookies can make...in return for some sort of uncapped free agency for veterans. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

This trade is about three things getting a pick (2011 draft flexibility same as 2010). Clearing cap room to sign some players Fork and Mankins (and other O Linemen). Setting up (possibly) a big signing in the future. Everyone mentions Peppers, but he is not better than Ware and Ware is a UFA 2010 and can play  the 3-4 rush OLB better than anyone and will be in his prime unlike AD. Still this trade is a huge surprise and my Pats friend that is away at the cottage this weekend will have to be informed. You have to remember that the Raiders only have Sey for one year. Technically the Pats could keep the pick and re-sign Seymour during the uncapped year. Getting  high first for a rent-a-player is a big deal. As another poster mentioned BB could trade down and stockpile 3 or 4 picks. I don't think the D is a sieve, but some young players have seriously step up. Was very surpised by this trade.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Seymour to Raiders : Exactly! This pick probably isn't in the top half of that draft!
    Posted by TrueChamp

Surely you jest! We're talking about the Uncle Al led Raiders.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

New England fans don't think.. they feel

Another star gone.  What will star-hungry New England Fan do now??!!  Big Name players validates our region as a real sports haven. Losing Seymour makes the Patriots look irrelevant.  Now we have to get Junior Seau or Bruce Smith or something..  will that make you feel better?!

Come on people.  Use your heads.  THINK!!  You think the Patriots will be a viable championship team for years..as is??  Take a look at San Francisco, Dallas, Pittsburgh from the past.  Without changing the core once in a while, the fruit will die of old age!!   Necessary one step back for 2 steps forward.   Vrabel, Bruschi, Harrison were 10+ yr vets.  Seymour 9 years but injury prone.  The time has come to find the next generation.

The past is a precious place to feel snuggily but Life moves forward.  Good move. No, GREAT move!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pasquale82. Show pasquale82's posts

Is this the Patriots setting the table for the next QB after Brady?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

2011 First round pick. That's what I'm hearing. THis is probably not good, but I guess BB knows what he's doing. You'll be missed Seymour.
    Posted by ihatefishing

Anyone still blindly singing "In Bill We Trust"? We are already weak in the defensive side and in depth. This has to hurt in a very big way this year and next. And by the time Oakland hits 2011, they may be an okay team, so picking later in round one. Is Seymour hurt and we do not know it? Is he somehow siding with Wolfolk and now deemed a "no team player"? What is up with this? I thought we were planning to make a big run NOW?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I think it's a brilliant move. There is no way the Pat's were going to sign Both wilfork and seymour next year. They would have lost seymour for nothing. Now they get an early first round pick, and free up 3.3 mil. this year to help fill some needs. Plus I always thought seymour was slightly overrated. He was a good player but not nearly as good as some made him out. Wilfork is more important on the D-line.
    Posted by dfitzp

Amen. While its' true that the defense-challenged Pats will suffer some this year...its' a brilliant move for the future...one that had to be made. Richard Seymour has been somewhat injury prone...and is in his 30s. The Pats need to rebuild, and get younger on defense. Now, they have a golden opportunity to acquire that stud pass-rusher, stud LT, or, even a stud young QB (in the event that Tom Terrific suffers another injury), with which to rebuild around.

Brilliant, gutsy move by BB.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

Re: New England fans don't think.. they feel

In Response to New England fans don't think.. they feel:
    Another star gone.  What will star-hungry New England Fan do now??!!  Big Name players validates our region as a real sports haven. Losing Seymour makes the Patriots look irrelevant.  Now we have to get Junior Seau or Bruce Smith or something..  will that make you feel better?! Come on people.  Use your heads.  THINK!!  You think the Patriots will be a viable championship team for years..as is??  Take a look at San Francisco, Dallas, Pittsburgh from the past.  Without changing the core once in a while, the fruit will die of old age!!   Necessary one step back for 2 steps forward.   Vrabel, Bruschi, Harrison were 10+ yr vets.  Seymour 9 years but injury prone.  The time has come to find the next generation. The past is a precious place to feel snuggily but Life moves forward.  Good move. No, GREAT move!!
    Posted by SShoreLurker

Yet everyone keeps saying the Pats are a "lock" this year. My dad told me that in the 1960s, everyone praised the Giants and Y.A. Tittle. Suddenly, their GM thought they were getting old and needed to revamp all at once. The team collapsed for years, and our lasting image of Tittle as an NFL player is him kneeling on the turf, helmet off, head bleeding. We may need to find the next generation, but recent drafts have us way behind other teams in that pursuit.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

BB is definitely rebuilding the defense this year.  It's a risky move, but like with all risky moves, there can be high reward or high failure.  I support the decision because Seymour was gone next year anyway.  Getting a 1st round pick for someone we were going to lose next year isn't bad.  I also think Seymour was injured a lot.  

I read somewhere that Pioli stood up to BB and softened a lot of his decisions.  I guess we are seeing an unchecked BB this season.  We'll learn this season if Pioli was just trying to play it safe and holding us back or if he was the voice of reason.  I think the number of changes on D should concern anyone.  Even if there are good reasons for all of the changes, this much change adds a decent amount of drama to the season.  Now let's enjoy the show; more change is likely coming.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

In Response to Re: Seymour to Raiders : Anyone still blindly singing "In Bill We Trust"? We are already weak in the defensive side and in depth. This has to hurt in a very big way this year and next. And by the time Oakland hits 2011, they may be an okay team, so picking later in round one. Is Seymour hurt and we do not know it? Is he somehow siding with Wolfolk and now deemed a "no team player"? What is up with this? I thought we were planning to make a big run NOW?
    Posted by BostonBobBlowhard
    What's with this we BS. Everybody knows you are a troll without the guts to show your true colors. Just keep second guesing BB as we go to the Suerbowl and your team, the Jets tanks as usual.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Bob- I was waiting for you to troll it up after this announcement

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

To quote BB:

"Any transaction we make is with the goal of what is best for our team and, as difficult as it is to part ways with a player of Richard's stature, many factors were taken into account when we considered this trade," Belichick said.

I would love to know what the "many factors" mentioned above were. Wow...what a blockbuster!! I was up very late last night and groggily put on the NFL channel about 20 minutes ago...when I read about Seymour being traded on their ticker. Talk about a wake-up call!! I feel like I just drank 8 cups of black coffee!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Heres more news on the Pats. Not only did they trade Seymore, but they also just signed free agent OG Kendall Simmons...former Steelers' first round pick in 2002: http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/09/06/patriots-trade-seymour-to-raiders-for-first-round-pick/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think this is a good trade. Is Seymour today really that much better than the combo of Burgess, Pryor, Wright, etc.?...I think there is minimal drop off, with the possible shift to more 4-3, you can cover a lot of weakness with that extra player...and the Pats get a 1st rounder that they can spin anyway they want. Hell, they could trade the 2011 1st rounder for another play THIS YEAR, or possibly move it to 2010 if they see someone they like next. With that chip in their back pocket, all kinds of things could open up for us. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pjrockett. Show pjrockett's posts

Going to Oakland is like goig to Hell. But business is business.
    Good luck Richard, and thanks for everything.

Sections
Shortcuts