SF is next.. could we see a similar result?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

SF is next.. could we see a similar result?

If many consider the Texans a superior team to the 49'ers, should we come to expect a similar game next Sunday night?  I know there will be some "let down" calls here, but, the Pats stand a better chance to win out, and possibly secure home field throughout the playoffs, as I do not see the Texans sweeping the Colts.  Pats are on the rise while many of the other good teams in the conference appear to be having their problems.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Re: SF is next.. could we see a similar result?

In response to agcsbill's comment:

If many consider the Texans a superior team to the 49'ers, should we come to expect a similar game next Sunday night?  I know there will be some "let down" calls here, but, the Pats stand a better chance to win out, and possibly secure home field throughout the playoffs, as I do not see the Texans sweeping the Colts.  Pats are on the rise while many of the other good teams in the conference appear to be having their problems.

I think there could be. I don't really see a letdown versus the 9ers; if there is a letdown game, it'll probably be against Miami, though the Pats should still win.

SF has just not been that impressive lately. Couldn't beat the Rams with two chances, and struggled against the Fins until the 2nd half. I think it was actually easier for CK being the backup versus the starter, as there was little pressure on him then. He has not played all that well these last two games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I actually think the 49'ers are better then the Texans.  Certainly the 49'ers defense is more well rounded and just overall better.  Their offense probably isn't as good as the Texans but with a defense as good as theirs and able to keep opponents scoring down, their offense is good enough to score enough points to win.

Its going to be tough but I think the Patriots have more then enough to win as long as they don't make big mistakes and if the team is healthy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Whether HOU is better than SF is debatable. What's not debatable is that SF better matches up with the Patriots.

Yes, 0-1-1 against the Rams, but division games are always tough. Remember when the 2010 Pats lost to the Jets twice?

SF has two things that pretty much no other team has. Great run blocking LBs that are also very good in pass coverage (Bowman and Willis). They won't have to use a nickel package in obvious pass situations.

They also have a much better secondary than HOU. All week, we talked about how weak the Texans secondary is...no one is saying that about SF.

Justin Smith will be a challenge on the inside to a slightly lesser extent of Watt. Aldon Smith will be a challenge on the outside, to a much greater extent when compared to Barwin.

SF has a real defense that has gobbled up Rodgers, Stafford and Brees.

SF doesn't blitz as much as HOU. 

To me, this will be similar to the SEA game. Brady will have much tighter windows. If he can avoid the turnovers that he made in the SEA game, the Pats should be able to win.

49ers are a more physical team than the Texans. And unlike the Texans, they've actually come up big in big games before.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Whether HOU is better than SF is debatable. What's not debatable is that SF better matches up with the Patriots.

Yes, 0-1-1 against the Rams, but division games are always tough. Remember when the 2010 Pats lost to the Jets twice?

SF has two things that pretty much no other team has. Great run blocking LBs that are also very good in pass coverage (Bowman and Willis). They won't have to use a nickel package in obvious pass situations.

They also have a much better secondary than HOU. All week, we talked about how weak the Texans secondary is...no one is saying that about SF.

Justin Smith will be a challenge on the inside to a slightly lesser extent of Watt. Aldon Smith will be a challenge on the outside, to a much greater extent when compared to Barwin.

To me, this will be similar to the SEA game. Brady will have much tighter windows. If he can avoid the turnovers that he made in the SEA game, the Pats should be able to win.

49ers are a more physical team than the Texans. And unlike the Texans, they've actually come up big in big games before.

Good points, all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xBruzer77. Show xBruzer77's posts

Since I live out here in 49er/Raider land, unfortunatly I see a lot more 49er games. They are tough against the run, although they have stumbled as of late. I think Bill will have a special plan for the rookie QB. There will be collaboration between the Harbaugh brothers, I am sure. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I'm hoping, but not expecting.  Seems like yesterday's game was a matter of inches.  Patriots had a call or two in their favor, two Patriot turnovers that bounced our way, everything came together (for the most part) for all 3 phases of the game.

If the Texans had recovered the patriot fumble on the 5 yards line, would the outcome be different? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejb222. Show ejb222's posts

When we lost Gronk, I thought this would be the game he is most missed. That being said, we obviously have the firepower to win this still. I think out D needs to show up again. I'd rather win a close, low scoring game than have to rely on Brady over their defense. I'm not saying Brandy and Co. can't do it. I'm just saying I think we need to match them defensively in order to keep Brady in the game. I think there will be alot of screens and I bet Vareen gets more carries. I don't know that Ridley is strong enough to get the ball out of the gates and rough them up. But I can see Vareen in a more spread out offense burning them up and tiring them out. I'd have to watch some footage on their offense to comment. If I had to give a prediction. 27-17 Pats

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to ejb222's comment:

When we lost Gronk, I thought this would be the game he is most missed. That being said, we obviously have the firepower to win this still. I think out D needs to show up again. I'd rather win a close, low scoring game than have to rely on Brady over their defense. I'm not saying Brandy and Co. can't do it. I'm just saying I think we need to match them defensively in order to keep Brady in the game. I think there will be alot of screens and I bet Vareen gets more carries. I don't know that Ridley is strong enough to get the ball out of the gates and rough them up. But I can see Vareen in a more spread out offense burning them up and tiring them out. I'd have to watch some footage on their offense to comment. If I had to give a prediction. 27-17 Pats

a win by 1 pt. will do :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Good summary.
    I agree they will be a tougher matchup.

Lots of options on offense, on defense I hope they have something special for the rookie, perhaps look at his tendencies and have something disguised looks to bait him into mistakes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

After watching Miami play then,......meh...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

It depends on whether the Pats finally crack the kind of D that SFF has

SFF has the kind of D that has given the pats O problems before. They don't need to send more than 4 to get consistent pressure on the QB. They are successful because they do not have to send the same four people to get to the QB very quickly. Anyone in the front seven can be asked to put pressure on the QB. It will be difficult for TB to anticipate pre-snap where pressure will come from.

SFF will probably not make the mistake of going mtm against the pats receivers.

On D, I think the Pats will be okay, regardless of which QB plays for SFF.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

I expect a similar result in every game from here on out, including the Superbowl. Then everyone, even the detractors and the opposing team apologists will have no choice but to admit that this team is greater than anything in the known universe (yes even greater than tacos).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I do not expect a similar result. I'm thinking something like the Raven's games in the regular season the past few years before this year when the Ravens had a great defense. The Pats beat them in 2007, 2009 and 2010 with real squekers down to the wire. I'm thinking 21-17 Pats with the defense having to get a last minute stop. I hope it's a blow out but this 49ers team reminds me of those Raven's teams (especially if Smith were the QB).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

I want a blow out - I love games where Im enjoying my victory drink in the 4th quarter...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from xBruzer77. Show xBruzer77's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:

I want a blow out - I love games where Im enjoying my victory drink in the 4th quarter...

I have to agree with this. The nail biters are great after but during the game they kill me. I prefer to be alone with no distractions. I even put the dog out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

pats are goiing to kick their tails.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I love the blowouts. Beats the nailbiters that go down to the last possession.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I actually think the 49'ers are better then the Texans.  Certainly the 49'ers defense is more well rounded and just overall better.  Their offense probably isn't as good as the Texans but with a defense as good as theirs and able to keep opponents scoring down, their offense is good enough to score enough points to win.

Its going to be tough but I think the Patriots have more then enough to win as long as they don't make big mistakes and if the team is healthy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    This 49er fan(45 years in SF) and 1st 21 in Maine and roots run deep so a Boston team fan first.  I was at the SF game vs Giants and a fluke bounce hitting the receiver's knee by 1/2 inch gives NY the ball at 20 yd line & they score a TD.  I don’t care if the ball was downed on the 1 foot line the receiver should have stayed away from it !  Then, and I blame Harbaugh, he has the same receiver playing in OT and he fumbles & NY gets a wining field goal. He should have had sure handed Gore in there. Another break was 
    Bradshaw stripped of the ball while upright causing a fumble at NY 20 yard line but refs called play stopped “In The Grasp” and couldn’t be challenged.  Ridiculous as he was a running back not a QB risking injury.  Different sport I know but  I was as dissapointed in that 49er loss as I still am in the Celtics losing to the Lakers in 2010 after they had a 13 pt lead in the 3rd qtr but couldn’t overcome the egregious difference in foul shots awarded, 41 to 18, with more to the Lakers in the 4th Qtr, 21, than to Boston in the whole game !  

The previous & following comments have nothing to do with the upcoming 49ers game but I need vent about the Giants. I don’t even want the Giants in the playoffs this year. I mean last year they get in with a 9-7  record & beat GB & SF on home fields & then the Pats in the SB.  Anything can happen in the playoffs.  To add misery to the 49er loss,  sorry to bring up old wounds, I was looking for the Pats to avenge the Giants ruining their unbeaten season 2 years ago.   The first drive by Giants resulting in a safety giving them 2 pts was the first step toward gifts to NY.  On the next drive the Pats’ defense results in a fumble at about the 10 yd line I think and they recover but had 12 men on the field. NY then went on to score and led 9 to 0. The Pats then go on to score 17 points in a row.  And in that same period they caused 2 NY fumbles and as luck would have it, the Giants recovered both times. Then, of course, the dropped passes by Welker & Hernandez who normally would catch these 9 out of 10 times  which were claimed to not be on target still should have been caught. These would have continued to give the Pats possession. I don’t have stats but NY had to have had the ball 2 times as long in the game as we did and I believe on their last drive our defense was fatigued.   Also, notable, Brady made 16 passes in a row surpassing Montana’s SB record of 13.  With NE ahead 17-9, it’s still only a 1 score game needing a 2 pt conversion.  We tried to kill the clock running the ball and needing to pass on 3rd down.  We did not have the backs to sustain running play 1st down drives.  We needed to continue to pass…short 5 yarders perhaps as Brady was under constant pressure and I know this is not run the clock down but keeping possession by passes does.  If we had more than an 8 point lead, yup, perhaps run the ball twice in a possession.

I do not feel the 49ers are as tough as last year. Don’t know if the quarterback switching has affected them. Alex Smith did not lose the game against the Giants last year. But when they tie and lose to the Rams & were only leading Miami by 6-3 and the Miami receiver fumbles allowing 49ers to score within the 10 yard line, I don’t feel they dominated and at home too.  If they don’t get to Brady, irrespective of having a better pass defense than Texas, he’ll find an open receiver. But what SF does well is cause turnovers and with 1-2 in their favor watch out so NE has to avoid them. Keep in mind though that SF is not considering this an incidental game as a loss and then one to the Seahawks in Seattle allows them to win the division & SF has to hope for a wildcard spot.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:

this would be my wish if we make the Superbowl

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

49ers can easily be burned by deep balls. one thing they won't do is play man to man like Texans did. So I am hoping our run game can produce against the 9ers, if so I don't see why TB and the offense should have any problems.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I think so. Niners aren't that great offensivley. Everyone was worried about the Texans defense, and TFknB carved them up, and will do the same to the SF fairies

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

I'm hoping, but not expecting.  Seems like yesterday's game was a matter of inches.  Patriots had a call or two in their favor, two Patriot turnovers that bounced our way, everything came together (for the most part) for all 3 phases of the game.

If the Texans had recovered the patriot fumble on the 5 yards line, would the outcome be different? 

Good point.

That and the inteception set the tone. The Texans were certainly shell shocked at some point. The Texans defense collected itself but the offense never really did.

If Shaub shook off what I thought was big stage intimidation and got a TD completion under his belt I think it would have been a dogfight to the end.

The difference between a close game and a blowout in the NFL can be just a few plays..which I think is one of BB main themes.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Looks like there might be snow in the forecast for sunday. sweet

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Much closer game imo.  Completely different game plan.  harbaugh is a better coach than kubiak and kapernick will use his legs to move the ball... Plus their defense is healthier and better especially the secondary. 

Sections
Shortcuts