Shane Vereen 2010 Highlights

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Shane Vereen 2010 Highlights

OK...to break up the boredom. New set of highlights.

Nice back shoulder catch near the beginning. Looks like he has good hands.

Good balance and vision. Speed good but not great.

Overall, looks like possible 3 down back.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

Re: Shane Vereen 2010 Highlights

honestly, i was pretty excited about what people had to say about this kid... untill i watched this.  maybe its just me, but he looks like a dancer, aka laura maroney. i hope he works out for us tho

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from touchdownpats. Show touchdownpats's posts

I agree w/ flutie, looks like a dancer. Has great balance so maybe he can avoid the big hit since he's not going to run over anybody.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Hey Flutie, I have to admit I also had a couple flashbacks when watching the tape.

But I also agree with Rusty that Vereen seems to be a much brighter kid than Maroney. Vereen should take to coaching much, much better than Maroney.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Nah, I didn't see Maroney at all. If anything Vereen looked like Fred Taylor. He waits a brief second for the blocks to happen, sees the hole and boom, he's gone. He has good vision, unlike Maroney.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

i hope you guys are right.  the poster that made the comparison to fred tayler makes a great point too.  he has the patiance to wait for the blocks.  people here are saying hes smarter than maroney, ill have to take their word for that.  i just hope his patiance doesnt turn into dancing and waiting for a hole thats already closing.  the games alot faster at this level than it was in college, where he was always one of the best atheletes on the field

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

xxcody, good Ridley highlights. Here's to hoping he turns out to be the next Peyton Hillis.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'll say when someone on this team is great, and I don't see either of the new backs as great.  I'm hoping that they'll be all right.  That said, defenses will always have to respect the pass, and Vollmer, Solder and any combination of tight ends except maybe Hernandez are going to blow holes in the line.  In particular, Solder pulling and accelerating forward into a linebacker could get quite noisy.  These RBs may not be great but they'll look great when no one is in front of them.

Vereen is always going to be on the light side of being an every-down back, he's a Faulk or maybe a bit bigger, and Ridley is always going to be on the heavy side.  We know that someone or other has to run on first and 10.  I expect a committee approach.

Vereen first needs to cure his fumblitis.  Maybe BJGE can teach him something.  I'm hoping that Ridley is faster than he was timed.

BB is free to mix up the running back deployments to baffle defenses.   Expect a vast number of personnel combos to stretch opponents' brains and to create mismatches and holes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Vereen isn't a dancer(I've seen him play seven times over the past two years,in person).His vision is outstanding and he uses and sets up blocks and even partial blocks exceptionally well,has the instincts you look for in a back,has very good hands as a receiver,and is a willing and capable pass protecter especially against LB'ers dogging.His work ethic has never been called into question and he is a smart young man.He isn't a 240 pound bull-dozer,though he will lower his shoulder to make the first down or get into the end-zone.Nor is he a real home run threat from anywhere on the field,but he will outrun most LB'ers and safeties.What he is,is a complete back with no weaknesses that can be consistently exploited and is capable of doing everything that you can ask an RB to do and do it all well,without one specific great strength except,perhaps,for his hands.It really is not valid to say he is a fumbler given his number of fumbles and number of times(running and receiving)that he touched the ball.He also played against some of the better defenses in the college game and on a club that wasn't stocked with outstanding offensive talent,not bad talent but nothing to set them apart from the top 25-35 offenses in the country.He also has the potential to mature physically into a 225-230 pounder without losing any speed or quickness.He probably won't elicit a ton of"oohs and ahs"from the crowd but neither will he generate many"oh no's".A solid,solid,solid all-around back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In Response to Re: Shane Vereen 2010 Highlights:
    [QUOTE]It really is not valid to say he is a fumbler given his number of fumbles and number of times(running and receiving)that he touched the ball.He also played against some of the better defenses in the college game and on a club that wasn't stocked with outstanding offensive talent,not bad talent but nothing to set them apart from the top 25-35 offenses in the country.  He also has the potential to mature physically into a 225-230 pounder without losing any speed or quickness....
    Posted by kebbe[/QUOTE]

Different sources.  I saw fumbling questions from NFL.com.  "Has had some issues with ball security."

The guy is only 5'10" at the NFL combine so I don't know if he should mature into a 225 or 230 pounder.  Leave that for Ridley.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

He looks like he at the very least will be a very good third down back - I'm sure they want more than that out of a second round pick - when they already have two on the roster. To me he looks like he can be a complete back (there are plenty that aren't 225lbs) and went on to have solid careers. He (despite his size) is pretty strong and works hard at his strength training. He already has nice feet, vision and pass catching ability...I'm hoping he gets a great chance at the starting job.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Shane Vereen 2010 Highlights:
    [QUOTE]OK...to break up the boredom. New set of highlights. Nice back shoulder catch near the beginning. Looks like he has good hands. Good balance and vision. Speed good but not great. Overall, looks like possible 3 down back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcU37Id3zPs
    Posted by pats-fan-2007[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the sneak peak at Vereen. The Pats drafted him because of his ability to catch the ball coming out of the back-field. If he's 75% as effective as advertised, he'll create some serious match-up problems for the Jets, and others. But, you never know good a player is until he takes the field as a pro. Remember the terrific highlight film on Laurence Maroney?

Here's a look at the other RB the Pats' selected, Stevan Ridley of LSU: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMFrBEQiGb8    

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

vereen's stat sheets say he hasnt fumbled, but thats not true, i saw him fumble against Oregon last season.  Can anyone find his true stats?  ESPN doesnt have any fumbles recorded for Vereen or Ridley and thats just not correct

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think Vereen will develop into a solid all around back. He has exceptional strength for his size, can pass block effectively, has good vision/quickness, and catches the ball better than most RB's in the NFL. If you watch that highlight reel that Pats-fan posted, Vereen makes a sideline catch in traffic for a TD that most WR's would have a hard time with. The first catch exploding out of the backfield and catching it over his shoulder in stride is WR'esque. I think his receiving skills are actually better than most who either came out this year, or who are already playing RB in the league.
    If you keep Vereen in to pass block with lets say Woodhead with him, and then release both, with Hernandez, Gronk and a WR that is a tough group to defend. Who stays in, who releases and when, maybe it's a run, etc...that is one tough group to scheme against. I think Vereen with his skills adds another dimension to this multi-faceted offense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Vereen was a kid that I was particularly high on pre-draft.  I loved his versatility, ability to catch the football, balance, vision and power (for his size) etc.; I also liked his productivity and 5.1 YPC, over 556 career carries.  He also seems like a solid/intelligent kid off the field, based on interviews that I've watched 

I'm excited to see how both he and Ridley are incorporated into the offense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Shane Vereen 2010 Highlights:
    [QUOTE]Vereen was a kid that I was particularly high on pre-draft.  I loved his versatility, ability to catch the football, balance, vision and power (for his size) etc.; I also liked his productivity and 5.1 YPC, over 556 career carries.  He also seems like a solid/intelligent kid off the field, based on interviews that I've watched  I'm excited to see how both he and Ridley are incorporated into the offense.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Glad you feel that way. When I watched his highlights (granted they are just that) I saw the same thing - very versitile guy - low center, good bulk for his height. Backs are hard to predict, but I see more in him than the guy from Illinois...he reminded me of Maroney (not a lot of wiggle and went down way too easy for a big guy).

Sections
Shortcuts