Shane Vereen....a game-changing type back

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

Shane Vereen....a game-changing type back

Watching some videos of Shane Vereen, he a shifty-type running back with a lot of burst and can catch the football. That style of play reminds me of two players, one is Marshall Faulk and the other is Charlie Garner. I say that because Shane Vereen could be that one-man running back where you could build the whole offense around. Marshall Faulk was like that for the colts & rams from 1994 - 2005 and the same for Charlie Garner for the eagles, 49ers, raiders, and buccaneers from 1994 - 2004. I'm not saying Vereen is the next Marshall Faulk or Charlie Garner, i'm saying Shane Vereen could be that one-man running back that the Pats have been missing. The running back by committee does well in the reg. season, not so much in the postseason. I know its to early to say, but your looking for positives and this is one where I think and believe that Shane Vereen can be that one-man like Marshall Faulk and Charlie Garner. Vereen could be that swiss army knife bascically and i'm excited to see how this team is going to play when they get on the football field. Also, for those that don't know who Charlie Garner is, look him up and you will see he was a very good football player when he played in the NFL for 11 years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Re: Shane Vereen....a game-changing type back

Alot of people who post here think it's just a matter of time before Vereen takes over the #1 RB role.  Alot of folks are very high on him.  I haven't seen him play, but look forward to see if all the hubbub is true.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In Response to Shane Vereen....a game-changing type back:
    [QUOTE]Watching some videos of Shane Vereen, he a shifty-type running back with a lot of burst and can catch the football. That style of play reminds me of two players, one is Marshall Faulk and the other is Charlie Garner. I say that because Shane Vereen could be that one-man running back where you could build the whole offense around. Marshall Faulk was like that for the colts & rams from 1994 - 2005 and the same for Charlie Garner for the eagles, 49ers, raiders, and buccaneers from 1994 - 2004. I'm not saying Vereen is the next Marshall Faulk or Charlie Garner, i'm saying Shane Vereen could be that one-man running back that the Pats have been missing. The running back by committee does well in the reg. season, not so much in the postseason. I know its to early to say, but your looking for positives and this is one where I think and believe that Shane Vereen can be that one-man like Marshall Faulk and Charlie Garner. Vereen could be that swiss army knife bascically and i'm excited to see how this team is going to play when they get on the football field. Also, for those that don't know who Charlie Garner is, look him up and you will see he was a very good football player when he played in the NFL for 11 years.
    Posted by millergrnv[/QUOTE]

While I'm not going to compare him to those you mentioned, I see your point and agree with it to some degree.  I feel that Vereen could be more than just a 3rd down back.  From what I've seen he has good vision and hits the holes decisively and is a good one cut-and-go runner.  He's not overly big but he's fairly strong.  He's not a "burner" but he has good speed.  He's better between the tackles but has enough speed to get outside.  He is VERY good in the passing game....something the Pats obviously liked.  And he could thrive with this OL. 

I like this kid and can't wait to see him in training camp and beyond.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

While some people think he was drafted a a 3rd down RB I think the multipurpose back is what they have in mind.  He is actually about identical in size to Faulk.  He ran a 4.5 (8th best), Faulk a 4.3.  Faulk was the 2nd overall pick and had a more impressive college career so I'm not saying that's what he will be but I think he can play a similiar style and his ability to catch is a big part of that.  And I think the Pats having a "running back", and a "catching back" is a bit predictable so they are hoping he can bridge that gap a little better than the guys they have now.  IMO

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

I like Steven Ridley better

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

The V-Rocket will be the gretest muh fussin RB evah! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

A lot to excited about when it comes to Vereen. If you watch his college tape, you'll see he has WR hands in a RB body. He's not just running the typical 5-10 yd RB route, catching in the flat, etc., he's is also 30-40 yards upfield on some plays, catching over his shoulder, in traffic, going up over CB's. I don't see many backs in the NFL doing this if at all. Add his running ability and he is truely multi-faceted. I would like to see the pats employ more 2 RB sets, along with their 2 TE sets, especially using 2 guys like Vereen and Woodhead that would give defenses fits.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Vereen and Woodhead same backfield, would create tremendous mismatches. Hard too say he is like Faulk who had legit 4.29 speed. But he does have some of the same overall qualities to Marshals game. I have seen him play twice Live. He looks quicker than he is fast, with an excellent burst. Best Hands I have seen out of College from the RB spot. Very excited for him and Ridley.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Shane Vereen....a game-changing type back:
    [QUOTE]A lot to excited about when it comes to Vereen. If you watch his college tape, you'll see he has WR hands in a RB body. He's not just running the typical 5-10 yd RB route, catching in the flat, etc., he's is also 30-40 yards upfield on some plays, catching over his shoulder, in traffic, going up over CB's. I don't see many backs in the NFL doing this if at all. Add his running ability and he is truely multi-faceted. I would like to see the pats employ more 2 RB sets, along with their 2 TE sets, especially using 2 guys like Vereen and Woodhead that would give defenses fits.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

I think that downfield ability is precisely what NE saw in him. Bridging the gap between Woody and BJGE is likely what they had in mind indeed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]While some people think he was drafted a a 3rd down RB I think the multipurpose back is what they have in mind.  He is actually about identical in size to Faulk.  He ran a 4.5 (8th best), Faulk a 4.3.  Faulk was the 2nd overall pick and had a more impressive college career so I'm not saying that's what he will be but I think he can play a similiar style and his ability to catch is a big part of that.  And I think the Pats having a "running back", and a "catching back" is a bit predictable so they are hoping he can bridge that gap a little better than the guys they have now.  IMO
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but comparing him to Marshall's cousin Kevin Faulk is bad too. Kev ran behind a monster Tiger line, and was selected in the second round based on that. He only ran a 4.57 and was smaller yet again than Vereen.

Vereen's measurables are not very far off Ray Rice. He is a tick slower (4.49 vs 4.42) but has two inches and ten pounds on him (5'8" 199 vs 5'10" 210) to make up for it.

I think he could potentially be that kind of back.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

Yes he is...here is some good video on him..he's a player...
    http://www.60maxpowero.com/patriots/content/60-max-draftermath

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shane Vereen....a game-changing type back : Yeah, but comparing him to Marshall's cousin Kevin Faulk is bad too. Kev ran behind a monster Tiger line, and was selected in the second round based on that. He only ran a 4.57 and was smaller yet again than Vereen. Vereen's measurables are not very far off Ray Rice. He is a tick slower (4.49 vs 4.42) but has two inches and ten pounds on him (5'8" 199 vs 5'10" 210) to make up for it. I think he could potentially be that kind of back.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I was talking about Marshall Faulk not Kevin Faulk. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shane Vereen....a game-changing type back : I was talking about Marshall Faulk not Kevin Faulk. 
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

I know. What I was noting was that people keep comparing Vereen to Kevin Faulk and scoffing when someone mentions Marshall.

I was merely noting that the difference between Vereen's measurables and Marshall Faulk's measurables is about the same as the difference between Vereen's measurables and Kevin Faulk's.

Sections
Shortcuts