Shaun Ellis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

Shaun Ellis

Mike Reiss tweets that Pats worked out Shaun Ellis today.  Thoughts?  Which of these guys, if any, do you see the Pats signing?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from buttgrundle. Show buttgrundle's posts

Re: Shaun Ellis

I don't know, but expect the Dolts to pick up whomever they don't (cough, choke, hack, Tommie Harris).

I don't buy any drastic system changes that everyone's worried about.  Bill shows more defensive fronts than any other coach in the game, almost varying by play.  There's no set of rules for the Pats, which is what makes them so difficult to plan for.  So I'd say the most versitale player who comes @ the right price.  That leads me to lean towards Raheem Brock.  He can play multiple positions on the line, and @ age 33, should come cheaper than Roth or Ellis (I know of Ellis' age, but he has a higher profile).  I think what they'll do is try to see what the most expensive player is (say, Roth), and then see if they can get two of the other guys for the same price.  The Pats are savvy like that....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Brock and Ellis are different players. You'd line Brock up as a 4-3 end or 3-4 OLB maybe...Ellis as a 3-4 end or 4-3 DT. IT's comparing apples and oranges. Ellis has been hurt the last 2 or more seasons, has had several knee problems. My bet is on Roth. He is exactly what this team needs now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from emiliosCA. Show emiliosCA's posts

I like it - if we can get him for 2 years at something not too much above the $910k the jets offered for one year. It doesn't seem like his production or endurance has fallen off much.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Ellis might do it just to spite the Jets. Ellis was one of the Jets better DL last year and is a solid all around player but we have a ton of DE/DT types. So, if he's willing to take just above the vet min to join the Pats I'm all for it but at his age given our depth I'd rather have a OLB/DE hybrid

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Ellis would be a great addition. certainly getting him away from the Jets, regardless of where he goes, is a win.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Shaun Ellis:
    Ellis might do it just to spite the Jets. Ellis was one of the Jets better DL last year and is a solid all around player but we have a ton of DE/DT types. So, if he's willing to take just above the vet min to join the Pats I'm all for it but at his age given our depth I'd rather have a OLB/DE hybrid
    Posted by PatsEng

I was skeptical at first, but when I heard they only offered him the veterans' minimum I knew he would be miffed after all he did for them last year

The icing on the cake would be if Wilkerson turns into Vernon Gholston 2.0

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Did he do much last season other then the one game against the Pats? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

Season Team   Tackles Interceptions Fumbles
      G GS Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FF
    2010 New York Jets 15 15 36 26 10 4.5 -- 1 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 1

2009 New York Jets 15 15 53 35 18 6.5 -- 1 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 1

2008 New York Jets 16 16 60 41 19 8.0 0 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 2

2007 New York Jets 16 16 49 32 17 5.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 1

2006 New York Jets 16 16 58 37 21 5.0 -- 3 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 1

2005 New York Jets 13 13 38 30 8 2.5 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 1

2004 New York Jets 15 15 57 38 19 11.0 -- 3 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 2

2003 New York Jets 16 16 69 47 22 12.5 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 1

2002 New York Jets 16 16 40 30 10 4.0 -- 4 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 1

2001 New York Jets 16 15 39 27 12 5.0 -- 2 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 1

2000 New York Jets 16 3 -- -- -- 8.5 -- 0 1 1 1.0 1 0 0

TOTAL 499 343 156 72.5 0 14 1 1 -- 1 0 12

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Shaun Ellis:
    Mike Reiss tweets that Pats worked out Shaun Ellis today.  Thoughts?  Which of these guys, if any, do you see the Pats signing?
    Posted by jeffab

I fully expect the Pats to sign Ellis: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/04/shaun-ellis-works-out-for-the-patriots/  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Roth and ellis.  Drastically improves base D, and allows more flexibility in all sets.  Ellis over love, brace, deadrick etc.  Roth over...everyone except cunningham

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

May as well get Roth, Brock and Ellis too, it will tick off Rex! He will cry publicly and start offering rewards to other teams to injure the Patriots LOL.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Looking at his career stats I was surprised he had as many sacks as he does. He has played in the 34 most of his career, how'd he do that? I don't remember him being anything but a run plugging end...I'm impressed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I like it - if we can get him for 2 years at something not too much above the $910k the jets offered for one year. It doesn't seem like his production or endurance has fallen off much.
    Posted by emiliosCA

Echo that.  Addition by subtraction.  Ellis always seemed to come out most against the Pats.  Offer him $1.1MM

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I can't understand what the Jets are doing. On one hand, they are collecting relics at WR, in 37 year old Derrick Mason, and 35 year old/two years out of football, Plaxico Burress. Yet, they offer the mere veteran minmum to 34 year old Shaun Ellis, a guy who has been a key member of their defense for years...whose coming off a good year? 

Mike Tannenbaum says that keeping Ellis, who has the most tenure of all Jets on his team, is important to the franchise, and to him. If so, why the low-ball offer? If I were Ellis, I'd take that as an insult: http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/08/jets_offer_shaun_ellis_one-yea.html

Here are his stats: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2143/shaun-ellis

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I can't understand what the Jets are doing. On one hand, they are collecting relics at WR, in 37 year old Derrick Mason, and 35 year old/two years out of football, Plaxico Burress. Yet, they offer the mere veteran minmum to 34 year old Shaun Ellis, a guy who has been a key member of their defense for years...whose coming off a good year?       Mike Tannenbaum says that keeping Ellis, who has the most tenure of all Jets on his team, is important to the franchise, and to him. If so, why the low-ball offer? If I were Ellis, I'd take that as an insult: http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/08/jets_offer_shaun_ellis_one-yea.html
    Posted by TexasPat3

me too, excellent post.  Let's offer him $1.1MM.  He can wash BB's car after games for extra cash.  Seriously, the guy can still play and he is versatile.  He would be a nice hedge if Haynesworth doesn't work out.  The Jets are banking on Wilkerson and I think he's over rated.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Just a little FYI for those who need to know. Brock resigned with the Seahawks and there are three teams presently courting Roth not including the Patriots if they are actually interested. Also the terror of training camp so far has been Eric Moore as he seems almost unblockable by the O-linemen of the Patriots so maybe he and Ninkovich are better than everyone here have projected them too being....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I can't understand what the Jets are doing. On one hand, they are collecting relics at WR, in 37 year old Derrick Mason, and 35 year old/two years out of football, Plaxico Burress. Yet, they offer the mere veteran minmum to 34 year old Shaun Ellis, a guy who has been a key member of their defense for years...whose coming off a good year?       Mike Tannenbaum says that keeping Ellis, who has the most tenure of all Jets on his team, is important to the franchise, and to him. If so, why the low-ball offer? If I were Ellis, I'd take that as an insult: http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/08/jets_offer_shaun_ellis_one-yea.html      Here are his stats: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2143/shaun-ellis
    Posted by TexasPat3

Ditto. After signing half of AARP the last few seasons (Tomlinson, Burress, Taylor, and Mason) they are jettisoning/lowballing the one guy in the bunch who doesn't look cooked.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Just a little FYI for those who need to know. Brock resigned with the Seahawks and there are three teams presently courting Roth not including the Patriots if they are actually interested. Also the terror of training camp so far has been Eric Moore as he seems almost unblockable by the O-linemen of the Patriots so maybe he and Ninkovich are better than everyone here have projected them too being....
    Posted by sportsbozo1

Bozo - I think most people thought of Nin and Moore as great players and very good backups and sub players but it's still hard to imagine them as full time starters. They might be great in practice but that's (quote Allen) we're talking about practice. They showed great talent last year but both had flaws that prevented them from being 3 down LB's. I'm not sure having a weeks worth of practices changes it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He's a great player, the best DE on the Jets last year. He drew double coverage after Kris Jenkins went down and still raked in 4.5 sacks. 

Imagine a line with Ellis, Wilfork and Haynesworth!!!

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec645. Show mikec645's posts

I'd like to see Ellis since we have a few of our youngs on the PUP list now.  Of course who knows how long they will be there.  Either way WH VW and Ellis on the line would be nice.  Ellis was the Jets best DLineman last year, he'd be the worst of 3 here.  I'm sure he could take advantage of that.

Plus I believe the Jets drafted him with the pick they received when we got BB.

Also are you people serious with this sign Brock Roth and Ellis stuff?  We already have to make a lot of cuts we're not going to sign 3 guys like that, we will sign 1 maybe.  For OLB help I am not crazy about Roth, I'd like to see if we have the best front 3 in the league how much that helps our LB's I think it will be a huge impact. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Ellis dominated the Patriots OL last year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I've been wondering why Shaun Ellis wasn't worked out by the Pats sooner!  I'm glad to see the Pats had him in here yesterday!  -

Would love to see him come here of course! To play beside Wilfork / Haynesworth/ and possibly Shaun Ellis ?  Wow.. I like it.

Let's hope we hear something soon on Ellis....we haven't heard anything else on the other guys that they brought in here, so either the Pats are taking their time, or they don't like what they see so far, or they are making sure they got the right guy - I don't know...but hope we hear Ellis is inked by end of day or sometime over weekend. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't think the guy is going to leave the jets for 1.1 million, as some have suggested. You going to pick your life up and leave town for 200 grand more than the place you played your whole career? Not sure he'd even do it for 1 million more, which is the range we probably would sign him (2 million per)...all the jets would have to do is up their offer 4 hundred grand or so and he'd go back. Worth the shot though, he's a solid player and it would hurt them.

Sections
Shortcuts