Shawn Merriman on IR

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Shawn Merriman on IR

He was placed on a minimal IR or something like that meaning he can sign with another team. 

Does anyone know for sure if he is a "locker room cancer", because if he passes that test I would think we should kick the tires for sure. 

I KNOW his play has dropped off but this guy needs a major change of scenery.  I do not believe he has become that bad and we could use some help, even if he provides little, at pass rush. 

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: Shawn Merriman on IR

Depends on what he's looking for financially. To me, if the SAN DIEGO CHARGERS consider him a cancer then I can only imagine what someone like New England or Indianapolis would think of him.

I trust Belichick to look into it if he feels it's a good fit but in this case, I don't see it. Nagging injuries, off-field troubles, etc. We've done so much (controversial) stuff to remove potential locker room rifts, that I don't think we'd take a step back for a marginal player (at best) right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JaeD. Show JaeD's posts

well we do have a decent track record with ex chargers,  might be worth looking into but who would we cut to bring him in?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

this guy is ALWAYS injured, i would take a pass on him, unless it was for a huge discount and i dont see that happening

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Send him to the Jerks so we can run all over his a** in December.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

NO

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

he would have been good to have for that one or two year period he was on 'roids and doing that fancy dance whenever he made a tackle. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think  as a potential sub he is good and has value.

But he has never been, and unless he hits the books (instead of the roids) he will never be a complete linebacker. 

But he at least deserves a look right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Oh, and it is called the minor injury designation. If I recall how it works, they can hold him there until he is "healed" and block any team from picking him up though for six weeks.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from changes1677. Show changes1677's posts

id take the chance on him with our lockeroom and the need of a pass rusher..  if its a cheap price to get him id grab him but if BB doesnt think he has anything to offer he wont even make a run for him.  The damn chargers organization and team just tick me off anyways first for losing to the raiders like idiots and second because of "the lord of no rings" general manager they have whos a joke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Give "Lights out" at least a  sniff test...

He may be good for situational defensive schemes...

The days of BB being Politically Correct on acquiring players are gone...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Chargers have to release him when healthy. He us expected to be ready to play in a week or 2 so they basically are cutting him. This guy hasn't been good in years. He has no place on this team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

He still hates the Pats for doing the "Lights Out Dance" in the middle of the field after the Chargers '06 Divisional loss to the Pats...And he actually thinks that the Pats organization should have been fined. He is a clown!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Merriman on IR:
    id take the chance on him with our lockeroom and the need of a pass rusher..  if its a cheap price to get him id grab him but if BB doesnt think he has anything to offer he wont even make a run for him.  The damn chargers organization and team just tick me off anyways first for losing to the raiders like idiots and second because of "the lord of no rings" general manager they have whos a joke.
    Posted by changes1677

WAKE UP!

What "locker room" are you talking about? He'd be playing/being around YOUNG, impressionable players, who are still learning their trade, and there's not a single multi-year All Pro player on defense, how'd be able to use his established credentials to make him behave. No way can you possibly lay this "keep him in line" issue on Brady or even BB.

If you want that stability and learning by example, bring back Seau for the last 4-6 games or so.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Is he a bad locker room guy? He seemed well liked and competitive in SD.

I know he is kind of a loud mouth. And he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. And he appears to have lost a step. 

But Randy Moss and Dillon had more behavioral flags than he does, when it comes to being a "team" player.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Merriman on IR:
    Is he a bad locker room guy? He seemed well liked and competitive in SD. I know he is kind of a loud mouth. And he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. And he appears to have lost a step.  But Randy Moss and Dillon had more behavioral flags than he does, when it comes to being a "team" player.
    Posted by zbellino

Moss and Dillion were still good players. Merriman is done! Imo. Rather see Cunningham get the reps.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeah TC,

That is the most important point. I am trying to think of someone on the roster he can outperform.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Merriman did get plenty of snaps so far THIS YEAR and he has 5 tackles and ZERO SACKS! The player you want to "sniff test" and "check out" is NOT the same player he was 3 years ago.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotzking18. Show patriotzking18's posts

Shawne Merriman: "I'm approaching this as an opportunity to grow as a player and to bring my leadership, talents to a new organization. "Merriman: "I'm ready for the next chapter in my career and I am excited about the opportunity to continue my journey with a new team.” this is what he told Adam Schefter.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

Id at least kick the tires on him. How much off field trouble can a guy get in Foxboro?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

That's what I am saying, that's why I started this thread.  He may have lost a step, but he's only 26...26 (I know he has done nothing lately) but I feel he would be a great situational pass-rusher somewhere else. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/oct/13/merrimans-career-chargers-over/

He's on IR with a 'minor injury' desigination, meaning he'll never play for the Bolts again.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

the LIGHTS are OUT on this guy... wont risk it til next offseason or if an injury necessitates it. again, we are going back to the days of WINNERS. merriman  like moss is essentially a LOSER! no tangibles. all about big inefficient stats! can he play special teams or be as varied as a seau? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think he needs drugs to play at a high level--but the drugs are also breaking his body apart. If he doesn't take steroids he's no good and if he does take them he's going to get hurt. Plus his style of play is undisciplined and totally not what BB wants. I don't see BB giving him a second look.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Pick him up its worth the gamble

Sections
Shortcuts