Shawne Merriman To NE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from deman3392. Show deman3392's posts

Shawne Merriman To NE

The perfect rusher for our system plus hes done in SD

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Re: Shawne Merriman To NE

he has to be the model for guys who took steroids, were awesome for a year, maybe 2 and then didnt do sh*t for the rest of their career...so glad jason taylor called this clown out a few years back

that said...as a fins fan...id love to see him with a flying elvis on his helmet next year

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

I believe his knee injury is slowing him down. He would benefit from a year of rehab then hook on with a team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think it takes one year for a player like that, at that roster spot, to come back from a knee injury.

So next year will tell the tale.

What I like about Merriman is that he can set an edge, and is certainly driven. Whether he gets his burst back is the question, and it is a RICH gamble to take on that. 

Although, even when he came out, I questioned whether his intellect/character is good enough to play in this system. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Steroid using ex-Charger.... don't let him cover Tyree!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

he is done becasue he has maxed out his body

look at the facts

he lettered in high school all four years as a DB and a Safety

He started as a red shirt Safety and only weighed in at 180 as a freshman

he is now a 256 pound speed rusher

he will be lucky not to die like Gaines adams

also

he tore his MCL labrum and ACL, and he is not a quater back he needs all those tendons to play his role

all i am saying is i do not want a guy who reminds me of the FREAK once a great DE in Tennesse who went to Phili and became a bust

thing is both of these guys "Lights Out" and the "Freak" only have two good years under there belt

you do not pay a guy on merit accomplished when NO one knew who he was you pay him when EVRYONE knows him EVERYONE blocks him EVERYONE scheme for him and they still cannot STOP him

For example you pay Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney

You Pay Jared Allen

You do not pay a bum who take roids and grows 80 pounds in four years only to have two good pro bowl years with a suspension under his belt

Me personally i go for budget guys who do not have a home becasue there teams think they have found there replacements 

I would go for Aron Kampman and draft a 4-3 defensive end

run the 43 for a couple years and build the LB unit within the draft

why run something you do not have the personel for

run a 43

Kampman, (Brace/Pryor), Wilfork, Green (or rookie)

Guyton SLB                         Mayo (MLB)                  FA (rover)

same secondary

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

tagandtrade,

I think you made some very valid points.......until the last sentence.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I like Merriman's intensity, but I agree with zbellino..given the extent of his injury, we won't really be able to tell what kind of player he is or will be until next year. He is going to want big money, and I don't think it's worth the gamble. Hell, we already took the big money gamble on AD, and see where it got us. I would have rather paid Asante, AD's money to stay in NE. 

Kampman is interesting, but unless we switch to a 4-3 most of the time, he is not going to flourish. I think the decision making rides on Wilfork and if they can resign him. if not, I would not be surprised to see us go 4-3, if so, perhaps we go back to 3-4, draft a stud DE or sign/trade Kampman and use the draft pick(s) on a good OLB/DE like Jerry Hughes or Eric Norwood...or both!...

Dont' think Guyton is a starting OLB. Not on this team. He is a decent player, but relegated to 3rd downs, or passing situations. Doesn't have the muscle to shed OL, and cant' set the edge like we need. 

If we are going to pay big bucks for a defensive player, I would rather spend it on Dansby and at least sure up the middle. Forget running up the middle on NE with Dansby and Mayo there

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Guyton would work out well in the 43. He gets washed out in 34.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

dude

if we played a 43 we would not be thinking our secondary is bad

Butler is a PLAYER two years and he is in Revis's Catagory

Wheatley needs to be given a shot or we SIGN Bodden he is SOLID

MeriWheather one of the top five SS in football\

McGowan/Chung/Sanders All good platoon SS/FS/Hybrids for the nickle and dime

Guyton would not be the SLB he would be the ROVER my mistake... and he can start there he might be able to lose weight to play that position kind of like Cato June did for the Colts and Tampa

We have a Beast in Mayo so move him to SLB where he played at Tennesse when he was a Sophmore

then Draft a big MLB or Sign Kampman and AJ Hawk they are cheap barrnet over shadowed Hawk and Kampman was made obsolete by Mathews

Either way a front four with Kampman Brac Wilfork and Green is better than lining up Wright Warren Wilfork with Thomas flanking them

Trade Warren Sign Green and PAY Wilfork

Change the system to suit the players

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Z

Guyton Played SLB, MLB and Rover for GTECH and the Georgia Tech defense is the closest thing to the Patriots two gap system than any other program any where in college and the NFL

hire a great 43 defensive end and change back to the 3-4 in two years when the draft picks pan out

unless Crabel and Mackenzie come out of the blue and turn into bona fide 3 - 4 NFL starters

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gazzzmann. Show gazzzmann's posts

I didnt hear his name once durring the game,weve got enough of that now???????

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

You might want to call people idiots. And then compare Darrell Revis to Deion Sanders? Really? Wow.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

How come after a team gets eliminated from the playoffs after playing like crap there is always a post or two about how some of their worst players can now be signed by New England? Forget the history and the 'roids - Merriman was a non-factor yesterday. Why do you want another playoff dud on our roster? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

i am an idiot because i compared Guyton to Cato June

What defense did we install when Mayo was out?

43 and 52 and by the way the differences between

Tampa 2

"The Tampa 2 typically consists of four linemen, three linebackers, two cornerbacks, and two safeties. The scheme is known for its simple format, speed, and the aggressive mentality of its players. Although it lacks the complexity of other defenses, it instead relies heavily on the attitudes of its players[citation needed] and tremendous team speed. Tampa 2 teams are known as gang tacklers and practice to always run to the ball. It also requires a hard hitting secondary to cause turnovers."

43 Defense

"Strong End: Outside shade of TE. Wants to make sure the TE does not get a free release on to Sam but must still play outside gap. If anything comes at him, wants to bounce it outside toward the sideline. The basic philosophy is to make everything go toward the sideline. Do not let the Ball Carrier get running north to south!

Strong Tackle: Responsible for the B gap strong side. Playing outside shade of the Guard.

Weak Tackle: Responsible for the A gap weak side. Playing inside shade of the Guard

Weak Tackle: Responsible for the C gap weak side. Has to be more of the physical of the Defensive Ends. Also should be one of your better pass rushers.

Sam Linebacker: Sam will align 5 yards deep with his nose on the outside shade of the Offensive Tackle to the Strong Side. Sam is responsible for the C gap on run and also will be responsible for helping bounce everything outside toward the sideline. On pass, Sam is responsible for the Curl on the # 1 receiver. If there are more than 2 receivers outside, Sam is to wall the # 2 receiver using a "trail technique" and pushing him outside the hash. The Sam will always square up at 15 yards and not chase any vertical routes. (This is in cover 2)

Mike Linebacker: Mike will align 5 yards deep with his nose on the strong shoulder of the center. He is responsible for the Strong A gap on run and responsible for pursuing inside out on anything else. On pass, Mike is responsible for walling the TE using a "trail technique" and not allowing him to get the "hot" pass or setting up in the hook zone. If the TE disappears within 5 yards from the L.O.S. Mike will open up to the middle of the field looking for anybody crossing his zone. Mike will always square up at 15 yards and never chase any vertical routes (This is in cover 2)

Will Linebacker: Will will align 5 yards deep with his nose on the strong shoulder of the Offensive Tackle.Will is responsible for the "B" gap on the run and also will be responsible for helping bounce everything outside toward the sideline. On pass, Will is responsible for the Curl on the # 1 receiver. If there are more than 2 receivers outside,Will is to wall the # 2 receiver using a "trail technique" and pushing him outside the hash. The Will will always square up at 15 yards and not chase any vertical routes. (This is in cover 2)

SS: 10 - 12 yards deep over the TE. on run, SS will play run support on top of the Sam Linebacker, again helping bounce everything to the sideline and cornerback. On pass, SS is playing 2 deep. He wants to work to the hash and keep everything in front of him and break on the ball once it is IN THE AIR, not any sooner.

FS: 10 - 12 yards deep between the #1 receiver and Offensive Tackle. The FS will have same responsibilities as SS. Normally your SS is the better tackler and the FS is your better pass defender.

Corners: 5 yards off the #1 receiver outside shade. On the snap, they want to jam the receivers toward the inside, denying them the sidelines and forcing them toward the Safety. The Corners do not backpedal, they will wait for the receiver to come to them maintaining that outside leverage. They are also looking inside finding the ball. On run, they are the containment. They are to force everything back inside where he has support pursuing the play. On pass, if the ball is not in the air after the 3rd step, they are to open to the inside and sprint to 15 yards depth to help squeeze the deep out route pass and allow the safety time to come from over the top to make the play."

OK there you go smart guy what have we learned?

Basically the 4-3 and the Tampa 2 are the same only one implements a interchangable strong side end and the othe has a stationary end. Tampa 2 and 4-3 are the same

you are an idiot you think there is a big differnes between a 4-3 (tampa 2) with NON moving stationary part and a rover and a 4-3 with interchangable parts that moves there strongest players to the strongest side

wow so becasue the middle linebacker calls strong right or left and the ends and SLB moves they are differnet

IT IS THE SAME DEFENSE MORON

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

BTW- when Revis came out he was considered a bust up until the end of last year we were all saying we were glad we did not take him

so on top of being an idiot your also a hypocritical fool

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

PatsFan

I have played all these defenses 4-3 4-4 5-2 monster tampa 2, 3-5 you name it i have played it the only differnes in them all is positioning and who set the edge.

if the DE set the edge that free the LB up to rush the QB - 3-4

if the OLB sets the edge and the DE covers the flat or rushes the QB that is a 4-4

it is all about freeing up two players to rush and freeing up one or two LBs to stuff the run like the 3-4

get your play book out pats fan

I would take Kampman becasue he would be less expensive and he has more to prove

i choose not to take Merriman because he thinks he has prooved it all, he juices, he needs his knee and his knee injury was much more severe than Kampmans

Economically i take Kampman over Merriman

Motor wize i think they are equal

Size wise Merriman is maxed out and kampman can gain weight

against the run Kampman is better

Kampman is not in the news he has not been suspended for substance abuse and he is a team player who has been replace therefore HE NEEDS to prove to himself that he is worth the hype

Maybe he gets a one year deal like Bodden to prove his worth

Merriman however wnats all the money for two good years that happened two year ago

thanks buddy

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

wikepedia moron

bottom line they are the same defense as afr as alignment so your wrong just shut you mouth yuou idiot

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

my statement where based on how much is left in the tank not what they have done and when

Merriman is tapped out Kampman has room to grow

Merriman knows he is good

Kampman thinks he can improve

yes you are right the line baker is responsible for the deep middle but that is the case with almost all defenses on 3rd in long

bottom line Merriman is too expensive for the patriots and Kampman is more humble

now shut up

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

no the argument started when you said there was a differnece between the Tampa Two and a 4-3 and there is not

All the differences revolve around stunting line movement and coverage but ultimatley it is the same de

don't change your story now

even Z said i was right

you just like to argue

meet me in a bar and i will show you how i use to play ball... Full tilt same way i would play if i had a chance to crack your stupid azz in the face

just shut up you are wrong live with it and move on

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

Getting back to the top doesn't include gobbling up other teams' over paid and under productive cast offs.  Merriman's best years are behind him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devenmorris. Show devenmorris's posts

f with all yall saying merriman is a beast.. but i dont think he like new england (2006) AND ALSO CHARGERS HAVE A FRAN TAG

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

either way you slice it... it is the same DE

Sections
Shortcuts