Sherman - Banning N Word is Almost Racist

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Sherman - Banning N Word is Almost Racist

As long as the C word is still fine, were all good.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Trying to ban a racial slur is being racist?

Got it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Not too smart from a guy who attended Stanford. Wow.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Ha!  Sherman can be a donkey, but he's a clever guy who makes you think out of the box. Gotta like him on some level.

Still I think Goodell is smart to be trying to bring more normal workplace rules into the NFL and create a more civil atmosphere.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Yup, banning a word that many players cannot use because of their race is racist. Got it.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

As long as the C word is still fine, were all good.

Yup, CASH.... as in "straight CASH homey"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Ha!  Sherman can be a donkey, but he's a clever guy who makes you think out of the box. Gotta like him on some level.

Still I think Goodell is smart to be trying to bring more normal workplace rules into the NFL and create a more civil atmosphere.

Agree. I actually think a lot of Sherman's persona is contrived, like what Clinton Portis use to do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Agree. I actually think a lot of Sherman's persona is contrived, like what Clinton Portis use to do.

Maybe . . . he certainly likes to stir the pot a bit and he may very well be just tyring to get attention. He actually does bring up an interesting point here, though.  The way the N word is used by blacks isn't racist--it's a way of turning an insult historically used against you into a term of endearment and thereby appropriating it as your own and rendering it harmless.  My Italian mom used to do something similar when she refered to herself (and us) affectionately as WOPs. 

Preventing blacks from expressing themselves in their normal, natural way could be seen as intolerant and culturally insentive, particularly when, in dialogue between black friends, the N word is typically used ironically, as a term of affection rather than hate, and in a way that reinforces a sense of common identity and shared experience.

The challenge of course is you can't have different standards in the workplace for whites and blacks, so if you want to ban the potentially offensive and racist use of the N word by whites you also need to ban the inoffensive use by blacks.  You can't have two standards for the two races, and given some of the recent negative uses of the N word, the NFL probably is smart to just ban its use outright.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

I get it that African-Americans use the N word as a term of endearment expressing tribal connection and there would be uncomfortability and pushback from some black players about changing it.

Still, that does not mean there are no unconscious meanings that go with it that are demeaning. Personally, I think the term connotes "less than" status in some respects and "superior than" status in their comparisons to others. I find it troubling that I as a white cannot also use the N word with them so that I can be a part of their tribal spirit! I don't like being left out and not being able to use the N word myself, in effect, leaves me out. And I am discriminated against!

This might sound silly but it is not. Everyone has the right to belong to a group that others belong to, if they chose. If the N word is cool, everyone should be able to use it. If it is bad, no one should be able to. This is about whites as much as it is about blacks. It is about equal rights and fair treatment for everyone. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

stop making it so catchy in music.  my ninja my ninja

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

I get it that African-Americans use the N word as a term of endearment expressing tribal connection and there would be uncomfortability and pushback from some black players about changing it.

Still, that does not mean there are no unconscious meanings that go with it that are demeaning. Personally, I think the term connotes "less than" status in some respects and "superior than" status in their comparisons to others. I find it troubling that I as a white cannot also use the N word with them so that I can be a part of their tribal spirit! I don't like being left out and not being able to use the N word myself, in effect, leaves me out. And I am discriminated against!

This might sound silly but it is not. Everyone has the right to belong to a group that others belong to, if they chose. If the N word is cool, everyone should be able to use it. If it is bad, no one should be able to. This is about whites as much as it is about blacks. It is about equal rights and fair treatment for everyone. 

I understand what you are saying and think you mean it in a good way, but, as a white person, you don't really share their experience or history, so you really can never use the N word in exactly the same way as a black person can.  The N word has never been applied to you (or your group) in the negative, racist way it has been applied to blacks.   You can't "choose" to acquire a particular history and a set of experiences.  You will never be descended from African slaves.  You will never have a family that suffered for generations from Jim Crow and other anti-black practices.  And the articles in the newspaper about the "problems" with black culture, black families, and black men will never be about you.  You certainly have your own set of experiences and history--either good or bad--but, unless you are black, that history and experience will never be the same as that of people who really were (for centuries and sometimes even today) considered and called "Ns" in all the bad ways.  

16. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts