Sherman - Banning N Word is Almost Racist

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

Sherman - Banning N Word is Almost Racist

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10544881/richard-sherman-seattle-seahawks-thinks-nfl-proposed-n-word-ban-atrocious-idea

"

Richard Sherman does not agree with the NFL's proposed ban on use of the N-word on the playing field, calling it an "atrocious idea" that is "almost racist."

The league's competition committee is expected to discuss a rule where players would be penalized 15 yards for using racial slurs on the field. Sherman lashed out at the proposal in a recent interview with themmqb.com, which surveyed three black players (Sherman, Tennessee Titans cornerback Jason McCourty and free-agent linebacker D'Qwell Jackson) on the proposal. Two of the three were against it, with only Jackson supporting the ban.

[+] EnlargeRichard Sherman AP Photo/Ted S. WarrenRichard Sherman says the league's proposed ban of on-field use of the N-word is "an atrocious idea."

"It's an atrocious idea," Sherman, the Seattle Seahawks' star cornerback, told the website. "It's almost racist to me. It's weird they're targeting one specific word. Why wouldn't all curse words be banned then?"

Baltimore Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome, who serves on the competition committee, recently told ESPN.com that the league has discussed other slurs potentially coming under the ban as well, including homophobic slurs.

Sherman insisted that the N-word is not always used as a racial slur, especially among black players.

"It's in the locker room and on the field at all times," Sherman told themmqb.com. "I hear it almost every series out there on the field."

McCourty echoed the sentiments, saying the N-word is common for many players.

"It's a common word in so many players' everyday lives," he told themmqb.com. "Among African-American players and people, it's used among friends all the time. It seems like a bit much for the NFL to try to get rid of it. It's a pretty common word in the locker room."

Sherman and McCourty aren't the only players to express concern with the proposed rule.

Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark recently told ESPN's "Outside The Lines" that the rule would be "really tough to legislate."

John Wooten, a former NFL lineman and the chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance Foundation, doesn't think a 15-yard penalty is a strong enough punishment for use of the word and would prefer players having to face ejections for constant use of such language.

"I'll even accept the fact that they say we're going to warn them in preseason but during the [regular-season] games, if it comes up, we're going to take him to the sideline to the coach and tell the coach, 'Coach this a warning. Next time he's out of here.' I want it to be that drastic," Wooten told ESPN.com's Vaughn McClure during this past weekend's Black College Football Hall of Fame ceremonies in Atlanta.

"I want players to know and understand that it is the most vicious word in the language. It's about us, as a race of African-American people, have to continually make our youngsters understand that the word can't be endearing. The word was created to make you feel, as a black man, that you were inferior; that you were nothing; that you were sub-human; that you had no talents; that all you could do is pick cotton. This is what the word was intended for."

The NFL plans to address the issue and possibly move forward with a new rule if the measure meets approval at the owners' meetings, scheduled for March 23-26 in Orlando, Fla."

--------------------

from perspectives of several NFL players.

I know this has been discussed. Just thought the above was interesting coming from various players.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Sherman - Banning N Word is Almost Racist

As long as the C word is still fine, were all good.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

lmao Laughing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Trying to ban a racial slur is being racist?

Got it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Not too smart from a guy who attended Stanford. Wow.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Ha!  Sherman can be a donkey, but he's a clever guy who makes you think out of the box. Gotta like him on some level.

Still I think Goodell is smart to be trying to bring more normal workplace rules into the NFL and create a more civil atmosphere.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not too smart from a guy who attended Stanford. Wow.

[/QUOTE]

Justifying Sherman

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/02/01/justifying-richard-sherman-by-his-gpa-at-stanford/

"Setting aside the slurs aimed at him, Sherman is also triggering a social taboo (grounded in racialized norms) against a certain type of bravado. Sherman isn’t Muhammad Ali, but it seems fair to note how white mainstream America responded to Ali—not for the substance of his vision, not for the power of his athleticism, not for his eloquence and showmanship, but for his bravado."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Yup, banning a word that many players cannot use because of their race is racist. Got it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Are they going to ban locker room music that contains the N word also? 

There goes the movie Django!  It will never be part of team movie night ever again.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yup, CASH.... as in "straight CASH homey"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ha!  Sherman can be a donkey, but he's a clever guy who makes you think out of the box. Gotta like him on some level.

Still I think Goodell is smart to be trying to bring more normal workplace rules into the NFL and create a more civil atmosphere.

[/QUOTE]

Agree. I actually think a lot of Sherman's persona is contrived, like what Clinton Portis use to do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Agree. I actually think a lot of Sherman's persona is contrived, like what Clinton Portis use to do.

Maybe . . . he certainly likes to stir the pot a bit and he may very well be just tyring to get attention. He actually does bring up an interesting point here, though.  The way the N word is used by blacks isn't racist--it's a way of turning an insult historically used against you into a term of endearment and thereby appropriating it as your own and rendering it harmless.  My Italian mom used to do something similar when she refered to herself (and us) affectionately as WOPs. 

Preventing blacks from expressing themselves in their normal, natural way could be seen as intolerant and culturally insentive, particularly when, in dialogue between black friends, the N word is typically used ironically, as a term of affection rather than hate, and in a way that reinforces a sense of common identity and shared experience.

The challenge of course is you can't have different standards in the workplace for whites and blacks, so if you want to ban the potentially offensive and racist use of the N word by whites you also need to ban the inoffensive use by blacks.  You can't have two standards for the two races, and given some of the recent negative uses of the N word, the NFL probably is smart to just ban its use outright.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

I get it that African-Americans use the N word as a term of endearment expressing tribal connection and there would be uncomfortability and pushback from some black players about changing it.

Still, that does not mean there are no unconscious meanings that go with it that are demeaning. Personally, I think the term connotes "less than" status in some respects and "superior than" status in their comparisons to others. I find it troubling that I as a white cannot also use the N word with them so that I can be a part of their tribal spirit! I don't like being left out and not being able to use the N word myself, in effect, leaves me out. And I am discriminated against!

This might sound silly but it is not. Everyone has the right to belong to a group that others belong to, if they chose. If the N word is cool, everyone should be able to use it. If it is bad, no one should be able to. This is about whites as much as it is about blacks. It is about equal rights and fair treatment for everyone. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

stop making it so catchy in music.  my ninja my ninja

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I get it that African-Americans use the N word as a term of endearment expressing tribal connection and there would be uncomfortability and pushback from some black players about changing it.

Still, that does not mean there are no unconscious meanings that go with it that are demeaning. Personally, I think the term connotes "less than" status in some respects and "superior than" status in their comparisons to others. I find it troubling that I as a white cannot also use the N word with them so that I can be a part of their tribal spirit! I don't like being left out and not being able to use the N word myself, in effect, leaves me out. And I am discriminated against!

This might sound silly but it is not. Everyone has the right to belong to a group that others belong to, if they chose. If the N word is cool, everyone should be able to use it. If it is bad, no one should be able to. This is about whites as much as it is about blacks. It is about equal rights and fair treatment for everyone. 

[/QUOTE]

I understand what you are saying and think you mean it in a good way, but, as a white person, you don't really share their experience or history, so you really can never use the N word in exactly the same way as a black person can.  The N word has never been applied to you (or your group) in the negative, racist way it has been applied to blacks.   You can't "choose" to acquire a particular history and a set of experiences.  You will never be descended from African slaves.  You will never have a family that suffered for generations from Jim Crow and other anti-black practices.  And the articles in the newspaper about the "problems" with black culture, black families, and black men will never be about you.  You certainly have your own set of experiences and history--either good or bad--but, unless you are black, that history and experience will never be the same as that of people who really were (for centuries and sometimes even today) considered and called "Ns" in all the bad ways.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I get that sense too.  A "persona" like in wrestling.  The NFL is entertainment - Sherman is one of the characters.