Sherman signs record deal.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Sherman signs record deal.

4/$57. $40 guaranteed.

Revis tries to trump it next year as Pats say we barely knew ya

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Sherman signs record deal.

Undoubtedly on Revis. He is a 1 year rental for a SB shot which is smart because BB was able to secure a top 5 CB in Talib and Revis for 3 seasons at a total of 19 million. Sherman deserves his mega deal but 40 million guaranteed for a CB who plays 1 side of the field and most likely just played his best football is a major long term handicap to the Seahawks imo. 

Would anybody be shocked if the Pats draft a CB 1st?

[object HTMLDivElement]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wait aren't the Seahawks in cap hell? How can they afford this.... even though they are estimating the cap to increase to $169mil in 2 years

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wait, True I thought you were against loading up for a SB run? Change of heart thinking it's a smart move?

Btw with Talib we really only got 1 years with of production from him so it's more like 2 years of top 5 CB talent for $19mil or $9.5mil/yr what real talent costs. Are you starting to loosen your stance on what the Pats offseason stuff, spending more on talent vs spreading that same money over 3-4 less talented players.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerLT. Show RogerLT's posts

If Revis comes in and is the player we all think he can be, brings our D up in the top 5 and gives us a shot at another ring, I say pick up the 20 mil that gives us 2 years at 16 per , then we could still franchise him, I believe for a third year. That would give us 3 good shots at getting Brady ring #4 and football legend status!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wait, True I thought you were against loading up for a SB run? Change of heart thinking it's a smart move?

Btw with Talib we really only got 1 years with of production from him so it's more like 2 years of top 5 CB talent for $19mil or $9.5mil/yr what real talent costs. Are you starting to loosen your stance on what the Pats offseason stuff, spending more on talent vs spreading that same money over 3-4 less talented players.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Unless you think you can predict injuries or have a God complex then you know that getting Talib for his almost 2 years at 7 million total was an intelligent move. A 1 year rental of one of the better CB's in NFL history in the last year of his prime is also very intelligent. 

I don't understand how paying a top 5 CB for almost 3 seasons(thats 3 shots a super bowl trophy) just over 6 million per is "going for it"?

And if getting great value like that is going for it, then yeah I like it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Unless you think you can predict injuries or have a God complex then you know that getting Talib for his almost 2 years at 7 million total was an intelligent move. A 1 year rental of one of the better CB's in NFL history in the last year of his prime is also very intelligent. 

I don't understand how paying a top 5 CB for almost 3 seasons(thats 3 shots a super bowl trophy) just over 6 million per is "going for it"?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Actually since last spring I said they need to get another CB to backup Talib because he's always injured every year I would say yes you can predict some injures. You'd have to be a sucker to bet that Talib, Amendola, Vereen, and Gronk wouldn't get injured at some point this year. They get hurt more often then they have full healthy seasons. It's not a God complex it's looking at it from a realistic perspective given history (you know that funny thing people study to predict what could happen in the future). Not that hard to predict. And where do you get two years? Pats got him in Nov of the first year and he was suspended for a bit and only played in 6 games (less then half a season). And in the games last year how many did he give top 5 CB performance? True I liked the Talib trade but come on man he's no where near Revis's class in terms of consistent performance, durability, and talent. It's why we gave $16mil to Revis this offseason. You pay for high talent and BB paid for Revis.

If you can't understand giving a CB $16mil for what is essential 1 year isn't going for it when you yourself said " He is a 1 year rental for a SB shot " in this very thread I'm not sure what I can do to say otherwise.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Patriots signing away one Seahawk cornerback put severe pressure on the Fishbreaths to sign their other corner at any price.  Somewhere down the road, as early as this year perhaps, Seattle will be thin in spots and they'll just have to lose a few more games.  It's called parity, and it applies equally to every NFL team except for the Patriots for some reason.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Patriots signing away one Seahawk cornerback put severe pressure on the Fishbreaths to sign their other corner at any price.  Somewhere down the road, as early as this year perhaps, Seattle will be thin in spots and they'll just have to lose a few more games.  It's called parity, and it applies equally to every NFL team except for the Patriots for some reason.

[/QUOTE]

+1. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Actually since last spring I said they need to get another CB to backup Talib because he's always injured every year I would say yes you can predict some injures. You'd have to be a sucker to bet that Talib, Amendola, Vereen, and Gronk wouldn't get injured at some point this year. They get hurt more often then they have full healthy seasons. It's not a God complex it's looking at it from a realistic perspective given history (you know that funny thing people study to predict what could happen in the future). Not that hard to predict. And where do you get two years? Pats got him in Nov of the first year and he was suspended for a bit and only played in 6 games (less then half a season). And in the games last year how many did he give top 5 CB performance? True I liked the Talib trade but come on man he's no where near Revis's class in terms of consistent performance, durability, and talent. It's why we gave $16mil to Revis this offseason. You pay for high talent and BB paid for Revis.

If you can't understand giving a CB $16mil for what is essential 1 year isn't going for it when you yourself said " He is a 1 year rental for a SB shot " in this very thread I'm not sure what I can do to say otherwise.

[/QUOTE]

Ohhh, you CAN predict injuries!

Revis is paid 12 million not 16 and it was a 25% pay cut, and his hit is spread out over 2 seasons. The very reason BB could afford to pay Revis that much is because he didn't "Go For It" by signing Talib to a bloated contract 2 years ago, like he just got from Denver. BB was smart...again, and by being smart he was able to get top 5 CB production for 3 more Super Bowl shots at just over 6 million per, as opposed to over paying Sherman or Talib for a 60 million long term deal that would have handicapped his team building philosophy.  The very philosophy which you can't seem to fathom.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

4/$57. $40 guaranteed.

Revis tries to trump it next year as Pats say we barely knew ya

[/QUOTE]

Revis has a way to go now, at his age, to put himself in Sherman's league.  You do not get paid on reputation, which is what Revis will bank on.

[object HTMLDivElement]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Ohhh, you CAN predict injuries!

Revis is paid 12 million not 16 and it was a 25% pay cut, and his hit is spread out over 2 seasons. The very reason BB could afford to pay Revis that much is because he didn't "Go For It" by signing Talib to a bloated contract 2 years ago, like he just got from Denver. BB was smart...again, and by being smart he was able to get top 5 CB production for 3 more Super Bowl shots at just over 6 million per, as opposed to over paying Sherman or Talib for a 60 million long term deal that would have handicapped his team building philosophy.  The very philosophy which you can't seem to fathom.

[object HTMLDivElement]

You can too, it's called studying history..... It's not that difficult, lets try it shall we. If you had to bet your entire life savings on whether Amendola is going to play a full season or not which would you chose and why? 

Revis didn't take a 25% paycut he took and infinite pay increase. Maybe you weren't aware but he was cut so he wasn't getting paid anything at the time the Pats signed him. As far as we know there was no other offer out there at $16mil so you can't take a paycut if you aren't being paid anything and weren't offered more than you took. I know you want to make it seem everything BB does is brilliant but True you are twisting facts. Revis didn't volunteer to get paid less, actually it was the opposite. He said he wouldn't if he was traded. That's why he was cut to begin with.

It doesn't matter how the book keeping is spread. He's still paid that amount regardless. You really are a piece of work because you went off on other teams using the full guaranteed amount to say how bad a contract is without looking at the terms and here you are saying it's the terms that matter regardless of the amount. PICK A SIDE FOR YOUR ARGUMENT. You can't argue it's bad for another team and good for our team, it doesn't work that way.

Want to know why BB got Talib cheap last year BECAUSE NO ONE WANTED HIM. It's that simple. He ran his way out of Tampa and the injures were such a concern no one would touch him last offseason and the Pats got him cheap because of it. 

My god you can't even grasp your own words. They are going for it but they aren't and BB doesn't sign high priced guys because they aren't worth it but he did and it was a smart move. You are talking so much out of both ends it must be hard to tell if you are coming or going. Pick a side and stick with it. BB changed up his philosophy (everyone from his own former players to experts have said so this offseason) that's why you keep talking yourself in circles. BB switched it up to something Pro and I suggested and suddenly you are still right and we are wrong? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Revis tries to trump it next year

He will try and fail unless we win a SB this year in which case I don't care.  Revis is older than Sherman and isn't coming off a SB win on the most dominant passing defense in the past 20 years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Wave goodbye to Revis at the end of the 2014 season. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

That should about seal it for the Seahawks.  RUssell Wilson will want Flacco money in a year.

Ouch.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Picking up a suspended Talib in November was a desperation move, necessary because the secondary the Pats started the season with was a disaster.  It was a good move to pick up Talib, no doubt.  But I don't see how it proves BB's genius.  In some ways it's the ultimate confession of failure in team building.  Belichick was lucky Talib ended up being available late in the season because of Tampa giving up on him after his suspension. If Talib hadn't been available, BB would have been stuck playing the rest of the season with the disaster of a secondary he had put together prior to the season.

Talib was a nice acquisition, but getting him was more about luck and desperate need than planning.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Picking up a suspended Talib in November was a desperation move, necessary because the secondary the Pats started the season with was a disaster.  It was a good move to pick up Talib, no doubt.  But I don't see how it proves BB's genius.  In some ways it's the ultimate confession of failure in team building.  Belichick was lucky Talib ended up being available late in the season because of Tampa giving up on him after his suspension. If Talib hadn't been available, BB would have been stuck playing the rest of the season with the disaster of a secondary he had put together prior to the season.

Talib was a nice acquisition, but getting him was more about luck and desperate need than planning.  

[/QUOTE]

False.  The lockout changed how rookie deals were seen, who was due for a new one and how the rookies from 2011 on were being paid.

BB leveraged this idea up agains the market.  

You were abused in the union/lockout debates and still don't realize it.   Even Revis falling into BB's lap was in some way a design of this approach.

Teams that wildly overpay cannot sustain.

Talib was due a new deal and TB didn't want to move forward.   Denver just committed suicide in doing so.

It's all about leverage and no one in the league creates more or holds more than BB.  You're a season ticker holder of this team and you still can't see this. That's pretty pathetic after all these years. Brady needs to wake up in January. Plain and simple.

He's not as great as you claim if he continues on being barely average.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

WTH are you talking about? Trading a 4rth round pick for Talib and watching him shut down stud players like Jimmy Graham etc... was a desperation move? 

I just don't get you guys.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

While the Pats were smart to seize the opportunity when it arose, making trades for suspended players in November is not a reliable team building strategy.  The Pats had a desperate need for quality in the secondary thanks to many failed draft picks, and they were very lucky a talented player happened to become available late in the season.  But the late-season Talib acquisition was not the result of good planning, but merely a lucky way to salvage a failed plan.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

While the Pats were smart to seize the opportunity when it arose, making trades for suspended players in November is not a reliable team building strategy.  The Pats had a desperate need for quality in the secondary thanks to many failed draft picks, and they were very lucky a talented player happened to become available late in the season.  But the late-season Talib acquisition was not the result of good planning, but merely a lucky way to salvage a failed plan.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement

Yeah that's it. This Belichick guy has just been realllly lucky. Dillion trade? Pfft yahtzee, Welker for a 2nd? I'm sure it fell into his lap. Blount for a track star? Everybody saw it coming! Talib for a 4rth? Desperation, BB got fleeced on that 1!Moss for a 4rth, plain dumb luck.

I think you guys are onto something here. 

Sections
Shortcuts