Short list of things we don't like about the defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

Short list of things we don't like about the defense

Our defense is coming together really well. All of us said it would just take time for them to gel, and gel they have. They aren't a beast, but they are rugged and not going down without a fight.

That being said, here's some stats that we can all agree need to get improved during the season for the defense to really make a mark:

Interceptions: 0
    Sacks: 6 (tied for 11th)

That's about it. We're tied for 2nd in the league (with like 5 other teams) with 3 fumble recoveries, and safeties/blocked kicks are rare enough not to count. Don't get me wrong, I think 6 sacks is pretty good considering Burgess hasn't made his mark yet, but the higher that number goes the more the defense is putting pressure on the QB (I wish I could find stats on how many times we've hit opposing QBs).

Nice offensive tid-bit - only 1 sack allowed so far this season!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Short list of things we don't like about the defense

Well, since we are 11th in the league in sacks I say we are creating good pressure on QBs. Think about it, I think the Patriots have called a blitz (I think) once this year. All those sacks were created by four man rushes. 

The INTs will get there. Not from Bodden, but from Wilhite and Meriweather. To me, Bodden isn't an INT guy. He covers well, hits hard, and intimidates the QBs. They won't throw to him unless they know he can't get his hands on the ball. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

I knew it in the off season and even as it has faced criticism early on, the pats d is no joke. Everything is just beginning to gel and by the end of the season these guys are going to be freaking great!

Belichick knows D

and In bill we trust

Im starting to get excited again. 

It should feel pretty good when we beat the ravens. 

I agree with your assessment of bodden, however, the dude can catch and I would bet that by seasons end there is a pretty good balance of ints spread across this secondary. 

I only feel bad that springs got the contract and not bodden who will surely look for a big payday next year. 

Can you blame a guy for a cra p year when he played with Detroit. No Way!  The real bodden is in N.E now and he is going to have a fantastic season

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The D will get better as the year goes on.  They have talent.  The problem is just letting the newcomers adjust.

I believe Burgess was released so don't be counting on him.  Unless they had two Burgess' on the team and I got them mixed up.

The exciting thing is that the team will only get better as a whole.  Pats football is only going to get better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

and just wait 

the addition of Terrel Sands will reap benefits as the pats can now afford to be in a 4-3 far more frequently

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

They had two guys named Burgess on the team and you got them confused. We did not release Derek Burgess we realesed Prescott Burgess.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

In Response to Short list of things we don't like about the defense:
    Our defense is coming together really well. All of us said it would just take time for them to gel, and gel they have. They aren't a beast, but they are rugged and not going down without a fight. That being said, here's some stats that we can all agree need to get improved during the season for the defense to really make a mark: Interceptions: 0 Sacks: 6 (tied for 11th) That's about it. We're tied for 2nd in the league (with like 5 other teams) with 3 fumble recoveries, and safeties/blocked kicks are rare enough not to count. Don't get me wrong, I think 6 sacks is pretty good considering Burgess hasn't made his mark yet, but the higher that number goes the more the defense is putting pressure on the QB (I wish I could find stats on how many times we've hit opposing QBs). Nice offensive tid-bit - only 1 sack allowed so far this season!
    Posted by mjxg

Interceptions result from QB pressure Which has been lacking. 

Defense has been fine and I believe it's related to if and how well the offense can manage the game (note games 1 and 3 where we controlled the ball for approx 40 minutes.)  

More concerning is that while Guyton i slearning and they are in a 4 man rush, the middle of the field seems open.  I think that will get better.  No complaints they are 2-1.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Thanks MVP!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

on a side note.... Did any of you see Seau get run over by the bull over this past weekend?

Dude can still jump right up after getting run over by a 2000lb bull

He may say that he is only good for 6 games and thats fine. If he can get run over by a bull at 40 without injury I bet he can still help this defense and handle the nfl. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

no prob

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

yeah they will be better in the middle when MAYO is back in a couple

not fair though, guyton has really stepped up and when mayo gets back Guyton, Mayo and Thomas will tear it up

The pressure has been there,and has been improving just no sacks.

I think derrick burgess wasnt worth it but man Im lovin my old friend Tully

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

My short list is pretty short.

First, Wheatley and Wilhite are pretty short themselves.

Second, the defense is full of free agents and rooks.  They'll jell, eventually.  In other words, they'll get better than they are now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

In Response to Re: Short list of things we don't like about the defense:
    [QUOTE]yeah they will be better in the middle when MAYO is back in a couple not fair though, guyton has really stepped up and when mayo gets back Guyton, Mayo and Thomas will tear it up The pressure has been there,and has been improving just no sacks. I think derrick burgess wasnt worth it but man Im lovin my old friend Tully
    Posted by steve1581[/quote]
    I agree the pressure has been there, I dont like the measure of sacks of how well a team pressures a quarterback, I think qb hits almost is a better indicatior because when you get a hit it generally means your rushing his throw, and that causes interceptions. Also really we dont have that much data to work with, oposing teams have only run 148 plays on us or about 50 a game, and if you figure that about half of those are rushes then only 75 dropbacks so really 6 sacks is pretty good, and they have had 3 recoved fumbles so thats 9 turnovers in 3 games, thats really good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Being a little nit-picky here?

I know it would be wonderful to have a defense clicking on all cylinders and tearing up the league.  If the bottom line is being met, stopping the opponent from scoring more points than your team and getting the W, is having so few turnovers that bad?  The Pats could be the other way around, gettting lots of turnovers but losing!!  Pick your poison.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

In Response to Re: Short list of things we don't like about the defense:
    In Response to Re: Short list of things we don't like about the defense :
    yeah they will be better in the middle when MAYO is back in a couple not fair though, guyton has really stepped up and when mayo gets back Guyton, Mayo and Thomas will tear it up The pressure has been there,and has been improving just no sacks. I think derrick burgess wasnt worth it but man Im lovin my old friend Tully Posted by steve1581[/quote] I agree the pressure has been there, I dont like the measure of sacks of how well a team pressures a quarterback, I think qb hits almost is a better indicatior because when you get a hit it generally means your rushing his throw, and that causes interceptions. Also really we dont have that much data to work with, oposing teams have only run 148 plays on us or about 50 a game, and if you figure that about half of those are rushes then only 75 dropbacks so really 6 sacks is pretty good, and they have had 3 recoved fumbles so thats 9 turnovers in 3 games, thats really good.
    Posted by thejoshuatree28

I COMPLETELY AGREE!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

They are playing true team defense, which is absolutely necessary, at this point. I would like to see some pressure off the edge, blitz wise. Pressure will lead to Int's.

I'm not as worried, now, as I was during preseason, holding TO and Tony G. to pedestrian games, has given me a lot more confidence in the gameplanning and execution; the D is playing extremely well, for one without a "playmaker".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

pass rush. thats pretty much it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I'll step up and say I was wrong about the D.  With all of the turnover, and the loss of our veteran leaders, I couldn't think of one single reason why this D would not need several games under their belt (say midseason) before they came together good.  I always said they'd be good come Nov and Dec though.  Buffalo and Atlanta have decent offenses so you can't say they have played poor offenses.  I'm all for getting younger, but I figured we'd pay a price for that initially.

Through 3 games I can say I was wrong.  There are times when it's nice to be wrong.  This is one of those times.  You know that our offense will get its act together soon.  If our D keeps this up we are in for an exciting season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

I say we revisit this question (as I'm sure we will) after the Colts and Saints games.

Sections
Shortcuts