Short yardage back

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

Short yardage back

Slow time around the board these days.  Trying to think of new topics to discuss and one thought that I have been contemplating recently is the full back position.  We all know Stevan Ridley was drafted in the third round and will be competing for a job against Sammy Morris.  One other competitor that will be flying under the radar is Eric Kettani.  Kettani was signed by the Pats and placed in Military/Reserve for the past two years.  Kettani had a great collegiate career at Navy and will be eligible to play this year.  Morris, Ridley and Kettani should provide an intriguing positional battle in pre-season.

Stevan Ridley (5’ 11”, 225 lbs.)  obviously has the advantage as he had great production in the toughest conference in college football.  The third round draft pick is a big back with average speed and explosiveness. Various scouting reports have described him as “Competitive and runs with urgency. Good lean and leg drive to churn through and spin off contact. Nice inside run vision. Powers through arm and ankle tackles. Catches naturally out of the backfield. Willing blocker who does not hesitate to initiate contact.
    Negatives: Does not have speed to the perimeter and can be tracked down. Average explosiveness and agility and is not elusive or creative. Gears down to cut (too exaggerated). Inconsistent pad level and cannot string moves together. Average, one-year production.”(profootballweekly.com)
    Ridley’s blocking and ability to catch out of the backfield makes him a good fit in the Patriot’s system.  He has average strength (21 reps on bench) and displayed some agility in the 3 cone drill (6.78).  He will be a solid addition to the running back stable.

Eric Kettani (6’ 0”, 231 lbs.) – Hard not to root for a Navy guy.  Kettani had great production at Navy, teaming with Shun White to sprearhead Navy’s running attack.  Eric was invited to the Senior Bowl as well as the combine.  He is a strong athlete, benching 395 lbs. while running a 4.59 40 yard dash.  He runs low to the ground and is tough to tackle.  Kettani ended his collegiate career with a 5.3 ypc average

Kettani has been serving in the Navy for the past two years so he will be at a disadvantage in terms of being in football shape.  

Special teams will be an important aspect in decision process for each player.  I expect Ridley to make the roster as the 4
    th running back in a deep stable of running back.  I hope Kettani is able to stick with the team on the practice squad or as a special team ace.  Unfortunately, I see Morris as the odd man out.  Morris did a great job on special teams last year but should be replaced by a younger and healthier Ridley and/or Kettani.

Anyone have any more insight on either Ridley or Kettani?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Re: Short yardage back

To be honest, I see the Pats with only 4 RB's this year on the 53 man roster...
    Ridley,Vereen.Woody,BJGE, they are the youngest,fastest,hungriest as well as the future....I'm guessing a couple RB's on the practice squad, maybe only just one,perhaps this Kettini you mentioned but I don't know much about him....the pats may be carrying 4 TE's this year(Crump/Gronk/Smith/Hernandez)Unless they cut Crump or he starts season on PUP(Bill won't risk Smith through waivers or to the practice squad) as he is the future replacement for Crump's position  & with the additional QB in mallett(#3) the RB group will be trimmed down....
    Faulk will retire or enter the season on PUP....Morris & Taylor and any others not listed will be gone as well unless put on the practice squad assuming they are elledgable

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I am pulling so hard for Kettani to make the roster, but I just don't know if there will be room for 5 RBs this year.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

One thing's for sure ... it ain't gonna be Maroney

Laughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Is Eric Kettani done serving?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Killa,
    The word on Faulk is that while he is getting healthy, there is serious question that he will lose another step or two from an already was step or two slow. Not sure Faulk will physically be ready to be a contributing RB in the NFL 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

if and when faulk is healthy it certainly will make the camp battle interesting. kettani, BJGE, woodhead, faulk, ridley, vareen, morris. who gets cut? kettani would probably be the only one to make the PS and not get poached by other teams.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I'd say Morris gets cut, Faulk stays and Kettani is used on special teams (let's just hope he's as good as Woodhead).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Have enjoyed Faulk for years but its time to retire...his job has been replaced by younger quicker players...Dont hold a spot when another position can be added to.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Killa, I love Faulk too but Woody is just a better player with younger legs right now. Even if Faulk recovers 100% from his injury (a big assumption) then the Faulk of wks 1 and 2 of last year needs to beat out Woody. I don't see that happening given Woody's strong performance in the third down back role (even in blitz pickup).

In Response to Re: Short yardage back:
    Im sorry you have such little faith but I would bet my life on Kevin Faulk being a member of the Patriots next season. People say that starting running backs lose a step once they get as old as K Faulk but the thing is Faulk has never been a starter and other then this one injury he has had very little damage on that body so if you want to count him out you go right ahead but I KNOW he will be here next year. And he will probably win his job back from woodhead too.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I went back to the 2008 draft and looked up BenJarvus Green Ellis's scouting report. 

He was going to be a short-yardage back only.  He had no ability to make cuts, not that good foot speed, and he couldn't catch a pass in the flats to save his life, just lots of power up the inside and he could fall forward.  So he was an undrafted pickup, and then he was unemployed for a few days until he made the practice squad.

No guarantees that Stevan Ridley won't develop too.  Maybe he plays faster than timed because he was injured on his pro day, something like Brandon Spikes?  We'll find out.

Football has gotten unbearably slow.  If I was smart I'd give up posting until training camp, whenever that happens.  Maybe I will.  Goodbye for now!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Faulk will get the Bruschi/Troy Brown treatment.  He'll come to camp and if he's not gonna make the squad Belichick will tell him.  Then there will be a press conference and BB will offer his kind words and Faulk will retire offering effusive praise for BB, Mr. Kraft, and the fans.  I'm not betting on his return from that injury at his age, much younger guys take a long time to return fully from it.  As I've said before, if he's healthy and if there's room for him to play some role, then great for everyone.  If not, he's been a great player...   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Faulk and Morris will not be in a Patriot uniform this year unless there is a serious training camp. Kettani maybe makes the practice squad. The Pats can't carry Woodhead and Faulk to essentially play the same role, and they have to go with the youth. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm as big a Kevin Faulk fan as there is but he really has an uphill battle here.  Age is not on his side and knee injuries are a very tough recovery for running backs regardless of age.  Root for him?? Absolutely.  Count him being on the 53 man roster?  I'm really not sure.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Kevin Faulk has been a great player for this team, and I'll be rooting for him, but like others have said, it will be very difficult for him to make the roster. I know it's only been one season, but I think Woodhead may be even better than Faulk in a few years.
     No one has even brought up that BJGE is a FA and may not be a Patriot if someone makes him a better offer than the Pats.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The youth movement is on.  You don't keep an aging player over a younger player unless the younger guy ends up being a turd.  You have to be practical here.  Who has the better future?  It ain't Faulk.

Faulk has given us some good years but I don't think that you want to risk placing talent on waivers to get them on the practice squad.  The Pats got killed doing this last year. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

and they are willing to part with the 2nd round pick to get him from us.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Ridley is going to be the best RB we have in the future.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Ridley is going to be the best RB we have in the future.
    Posted by xxcodyfxx

Vereen. Quicker. Faster. Great instincts. No comparison. Vereen.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

In Response to Re: Short yardage back : Vereen. Quicker. Faster. Great instincts. No comparison. Vereen.
    Posted by portfolio1

I hope there both good!!! I'm very excited about getting these two RBS. I love the pats !!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Count me as a big Kevin Faulk fan. I am on record a few months ago saying it would be nice to see Faulk and Woodhead on the field at the same time. However, that was before the draft. Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley are now on board so it definitely spells doom for someone.

Sections
Shortcuts