should Bill trade that #1 pick for a pass rusher?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from koft. Show koft's posts

should Bill trade that #1 pick for a pass rusher?

are their any teams that would like to build for the future and take the #1 we got from oakland last season in exchange for a D-lineman that can rush the passer? how about richard seymore? just kidding, BUT NE really needs another guy who can pressure the QB, even if jermaine cunningham is being talked up as of late. with the probable retirement of derrick burgess, who must not like taking orders from Bill, NE is in dire need for another  pass rusher. we have that #1 from oakland, maybe it`s time we used it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

Re: should Bill trade that #1 pick for a pass rusher?

Would seem like a bit of a panic move, in my opinion, if they gave up that Raider pick now. They should still be able to get a decent pass-rushing OLB with one of their other picks in a trade....

Plus, it's only day 1 of training camp. We don't really know what we have yet....give it a couple more weeks...some guys may end up getting released and we might be able to pick someone up without giving up anything.

Patience..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

7-9 this season... no pass rush...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

Now maybe Kraft will wake up now and get somebody decent that can take the QB's head off.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from koft. Show koft's posts

In Response to Re: should Bill trade that #1 pick for a pass rusher?:
    [QUOTE]Would seem like a bit of a panic move, in my opinion, if they gave up that Raider pick now. They should still be able to get a decent pass-rushing OLB with one of their other picks in a trade.... Plus, it's only day 1 of training camp. We don't really know what we have yet....give it a couple more weeks...some guys may end up getting released and we might be able to pick someone up without giving up anything. Patience..
    Posted by tmot1234[/QUOTE]

yeah. i almost forgot to trust BIll to take care of everything. i`m sure that just as he picked up burgess last season, he`ll get another decent player. i`m hearing some good things about ron brace, but i`m not sure he is a good pass rusher.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

It isn't your DL that go for the sacks in the Pats 3-4.  The DL is there for containment and if they can collapse the pocket for a sack it's a plus.  Much like Seymour use to do and Wilfork does from time to time.  The sacking mainly comes from the Pats OLBs. 

The really need to figure out what they have before the move on for any kind of a trade.  So don't expect any trade to happen at all for a pass rusher.  There are other parts of the game that need evaluating as well.  Keep an eye on Cunningham as this is what he was drafted for.  It may take him a while as it often does with rookie pass rushers, so be patient.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Do you have a name in mind? 

The best chance to get a premium pass rusher is probably in next years draft.  There aren't that many great pass rushers, they're expensive and they typically go early in the draft.  I just don't think throwing money at a guy will solve the problem.  I doubt, Ware or Allen can be had for a 1st so he would just end up paying for a good but not great rusher, when waiting to use the Raiders early round pick could net a great rush prospect.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

no, he should trad it and our #1 next year for larry fitzgerald and arizona's 2nd round pick

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

It's Cunningham and Tully Banta-Cain.  So far, I expect Cunningham to be solid.  He was getting reps with the first team back in May. 

However, with no Burgess in camp and with Crable 1000 miles away by now, BB will want to pick up some other team's discarded young pass-rushing prospect at about the time of the 53-man final cutdown, or he might trade a seventh round pick for one on the day before the cutdown.  With 31 NFL teams, somebody somewhere-or-other will be overloaded with sack artists.  It happens.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Sorry, but as much as I want that position fixed trying to get a quick replacement won't help us. 

Teams know we need a pass-rusher. Even if they were trying to get rid of a guy, they'd still ask for more than just a first round pick. They might go as far as to ask for a 1st and a 3rd. Let's see how this position develops, it was a weakness last year and we did OK. 

Maybe Cunningham has playmaking ability. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

You go from pass rusher to DE pass rusher , which is it? Theres a bunch of OLB rushers that would work for us , but only a couple DE's that can/could play the 5 technique and rush the passer. Id give it up for Williams in a second , but Houston would want more than just a first round pick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Kansas/49 I think you should not be so quick to judge this idea. The Pats have 2 #1 picks next year and it is a fact we have a history of making veteran guys work in our system. Why is it so crazy to think we could trade a #1 draft pick in 2011 for a proven "Edge Guy" or Olb??? I think it is the perfect bargaining chip.

If we have a hole in our defense why not trade a small piece of the future for a proven commodity now?

How much younger can a team get?

We are loaded with top round draft picks on D. I am not opposed at all to making a move for a "Prolific" player on the defensive side of the football.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: should Bill trade that #1 pick for a pass rusher?:
    You go from pass rusher to DE pass rusher , which is it? Theres a bunch of OLB rushers that would work for us , but only a couple DE's that can/could play the 5 technique and rush the passer. Id give it up for Williams in a second , but Houston would want more than just a first round pick.
    Posted by ONE-TIME

I am PRECISELY in your camp here one-time...

Before even readin your post, The ONLY guy I'd really even consider trading Oak-NE's #1 Early Selection for, at least in terms of 3-4 DE, Would be Mario Williams...I personally believe that Williams really could be/do even close to what Richard Seymour did for NE on the D-Line; Mainly that is, BE a DE who could BOTH occupy 2 blockers, AND be a decent, or even "marginal" -pass-rushing threat.  6'6 and @ 295lbs and the guys only like 25 or 26=Yea, I'd offer Oak's 1st rd selection, period.  

Couple BIG problems though...
    #1 You ideally want to trade with a franchise that views itself building or REbuilding for the future: RE: Houston though...No way.  They ARE and assuredly view themselves on the upswing.
    #2 Mario Williams is signed through 2011, and won't be a free agent until 2012 (the Season AFTER this season AND next season)...And that ain't good.  Teams are far more willing to trade a guy, whose due to become a FA the following year (2011).  ~Clearly because they might lose him anyway.

NOW, The ONLY other players which I would even consider trading for ARE Outside Linebackers, NOT Defensive Ends...whih in itself (as ya mentioned), Is a problem...  IMHO, and it seems yours too one-time, 3-4 DEs are harder to come by, Than 3-4 OLBs.  And man, This ISN'T top say a good 3-4 OLB is EASY to find...no way.  As we've seen, NFL Clubs almost always have to get and ultimately "perfectly scout" a Collegiate DE (to get the 3-4 OLB bigger size), And THEN just pray that he's fast enough and good enough to transition to a 3-4 OLB playing off the line, suddenly with his hand off the ground and thus doing a completely different positional job (including pass-coverage).  So there IS that HUGE "bust-factor" there (Vernon Gholston). 
         The difference however, Translates to the NFL Draft- Excellent 3-4 DEs go in the top 10-15 selections, but with 3-4 teams NOT wantin too spend a 1st rder on a potential 3-4 OLB bust, Collegiate DEs who might transfer to NFL OLBs, HAVE been slipping down the Big Board.  So the greater point, Why on earth, use an early 1st rder for an NFL 3-4 OLB, WHEN even the best "potential" Collegiate DEs to 3-4 OLBs slip to the very end of Rd 1, and well into Rd 2...  One could ONLY argue that an NFL OLB hs ALREADY made the transition and ALREADY proven to be a successful 3-4 OLB, BUT sorry-THIS gets trumped by the fact that IF you did give up that early 1st rder, NE very well could be passing on their ONLY true chance of getting a top ranked 3-4 DE, which they might never see that DE opportunity again for YEARS...

So Finally, WOULD I trade Oak's 1st rder for an NFL 3-4 OLB...Yup, BUT I'd want that team's OWN 2nd rder in return (which begs the point that, You'd have to get a VERY willing, perhaps somewhat d#mb, NFL Club, who would make such a  trade)...

2 3-4 OLB Guys I'd do it forSan Francisco's Manny Lawson OR Pittsburgh's LaMarr Woodley.  They got the size, production, youth, And in EVERY way-These guys are stout against the run, Are pass-rushing threats, AND they're good in coverage as well.  Good thing is that BOTH guys ARE gonna be Free Agents at the end of this very year...  Bad Thing is that SF views themselves on the major upswing as a team, annnd Pittsburgh, well Pittsburgh isn''t st#pid enough to make sucha trade...  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In Response to should Bill trade that #1 pick for a pass rusher?:
     are their any teams that would like to build for the future and take the #1 we got from oakland last season in exchange for a D-lineman that can rush the passer? how about richard seymore? just kidding, BUT NE really needs another guy who can pressure the QB, even if jermaine cunningham is being talked up as of late. with the probable retirement of derrick burgess, who must not like taking orders from Bill, NE is in dire need for another  pass rusher. we have that #1 from oakland, maybe it`s time we used it.
    Posted by koft

Yes most definetly - who is available?. Pats pass rush like last season appears to be absolutely non existant. I have real concerns going into this season that the Pats fall right back to the middle of the pack.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I would use one of our #1's next year, possibly Mankins, perhaps 1 of our plethora of safeties to swing a veternan trade this year. Not a guy in his 30's, but someone who has been the league for 4-6 years and is proven, with some mileage left on the tires.
    We have the ammo to do it, it's wondering if Bill sees it this way, and who would be viable trading partners. 

Another option to fill the OLB spot is to move a guy like Mckenzie or possibly even Mayo outside. Not ideal because they are both better inside, but I think both could play the position and we at least know that Mayo has played the position in college to some degree. Perhaps this is the thinking as BB is coaching up Spikes to call the plays. Don't know.

But, in a 3-4, we could have Mayo, Spikes inside. TBC and Cunningham outside. Switch to 4-3, keep Mayo inside, move McKenzie and Guyton outside. Just saying we have some options based on who's currently on the roster. The situation is not desperate, but we certainly have a need. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

No. Use the pick for a running back next year. Inghram maybe. Brady needs a running back for the play action pass to be effective. We need to be able to get the first down on 3rd and 1 or 2. Nothing upsets me more then when we have to throw on 3rd and short cause we dont trust the running game. We need a cory dillion or a steven jackson kinda guy.