Should New England bring in another backup QB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

Should New England bring in another backup QB

The Pats just got rid of Guitierrez and signed Andrew walter (released from Oakland).  Are they OK if Brady has to sit even one series this season?  There has to be at least one dependible veteran to bring into camp.  Any suggestions? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Should New England bring in another backup QB

They are fine from what I can tell.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

That's what they got Walter for. O'Connell is the backup. Why would they waste four roster spots for a position only one guy can play. And bite your tongue about Brady sitting! He is going to take every snap this season!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

I agree with bub.

I would have liked to have seen them bring in a veteran with a better track record, like Brian Griese, but Walter is going to fill the experienced backup void. There is no need to bring in any others.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antleite. Show antleite's posts

In Response to Should New England bring in another backup QB:
    The Pats just got rid of Guitierrez and signed Andrew walter (released from Oakland).  Are they OK if Brady has to sit even one series this season?  There has to be at least one dependible veteran to bring into camp.  Any suggestions? 
    Posted by jmmyslinski

I think it goes without saying that you would want TB on the field as much as possible. But we also don’t know the condition of TB recovery/knee in a full contact game scenario. I don’t know if Walter is the answer as a reliable back up QB who has been unsuccessful at Oakland and kind of fell off the radar. But I'm sure the answer to that question will be answered at the end of preseason.

Possible back up QB's: Ken Dorsey, Trent Green, JP Losman, Michael Vick . . .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

For a reason most of us fans can't understand (myself included), BB and his staff are pretty high on Walter.  I find it most interesting how they are talking so much about his college career years after the fact.  It's as if they completely discount any experiences, good or bad, he had with the Raiders.  Maybe that's what many of us aren't getting; BB seems to care little about how he did with the Raiders and the circus that surrounds that organization.  If the Raiders were still a well run, well coached organization and Walter had the same stats, I doubt BB would touch him.

We should give BB, Floyd Reese, and the rest of the Pats staff the benefit of the doubt here.  They seem to like what they have.  Both BB and Reese are pretty damn good judges of talent.  They will not be right 100% of the time, but I'll put my money on them and come out ahead more often than not.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

It's quite common for those here to question what is happening with the roster in the offseason. It was only a year ago when 99% of the people here (myself included) were positive Cassel would be cut, and sure he was worthless as an NFL QB. Eleven wins and $50 million or so later, we are still pulling our feet out of our mouths!!! I suppose it's only so we can insert them once again claiming that BB made another "boneheaded move"! Of course, that crow tastes a whole lot better when followed by a dessert of playoff appearances!!! A lot of people also claimed Randy Moss was "washed up" after his stint in Oakland. If the Raiders are truly where old players go to die in the league, then BB is sometimes capable of raising the dead! I sincerely hope we never have to find out for sure about Walter, but since Bill picked him over some others I'll just have to trust he knows something that we don't!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

How many QB's do you want? They Edelman,O'Connell and Walter as b/u's right now,I know everyone is saying Edelman he's a punt returner/WR/ST but you have to remember he was a QB in college and he will be the emergancy QB,we all know BB pretty well by now the reason he's been successful is because he keeps the players who can play multiple positions.All you have to do is read Mike Reiss's articles where he talks about at the end of practice he flops his offense to play Defense and vica versa,he had Wilhite play QB and Butler play the wideout,its how he finds guys who can play other positions...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Bill Belichick came out of the womb first...then came the clipboard...and then the whistle.I trust his judgement....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Walter was seen as a possible diamond in the rough. OK, cubic zirconium, but at least he might sparkle.  He has lots of experience, height, a strong arm, he was in a terrible situation and he might (or might not) lose his case of the heebee-jeebees under the right management. 

BB signs cheap upgrades regardless of the feelings of the marginal players.

Gutierrez was pretty mediocre and had little upside.  It's just that he knew the Patriots' playbook at the exact time when the team needed a third QB, and so Gut answered the phone at his home and said ok I'll come back and sit on the bench every Sunday afternoon. 

It's not that O'Connell is bad.  Yet.  At least he can run.  Good hybrid wildcat candidate now that he's had a year's experience.

It's not that Hoyer is terrible, he's just going toward the practice squad like the average undrafted rookie QB. 

Let's mention Julian Edelman as an emergency QB, a wildcat QB and a great gimmick play guy, a slash.  Has anyone noticed how BB is accumulating a stockpile of speedster quarterbacks?

Sections
Shortcuts