Should Pats change their defensive scheme to a 4-3?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmadmax82. Show bmadmax82's posts

Should Pats change their defensive scheme to a 4-3?

Do you think our 3-4 D is outdated and ineffective due to lack of proper players? The beauty of 3-4 is that the QB does not know if who is rushing and OLB can rush as well as drop in coverage. The problem is that our LB corp is not effective and hence the QB has hours to pick apart the secondary. IF we need to use 3-4 effectively, we need to get OLB like Ware, Dumerville, Harrison. Or we are going to be picked apart by experienced QB (which happened this season, D was great against the likes of Young, Collins and Garrad and useless against Schaub, Manning and Brees).
    Now, I really feel that we should try 4-3 exclusively this year to spice things up. We saw what players like Wright can do as a 4-3 DE (4 sacks as a 4-3 DE). If we recruit good 4-3 players in the draft (getting 3-4 NT, and OLB is a pain as they are in high demand as many teams are going 3-4), and pick up a player like Peppers, or even Taylor, I think it would reboot the D.
    Your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Re: Should Pats change their defensive scheme to a 4-3?

Ive been going back and forth all year with this. I think the thirty four D is somewhat misunderstood around here and by alot of fans throughout the league. Most people just look at the OLB's and think thats all you need. Yes, are OLB's were not athletic enough and really just not good enough to play the system. But everyone knows how important they are to the 34 system, what I didnt hear from your post was how important the D-line is to overall system. Not having Sey this year killed us, teams made no secret that they would run on us and run at what would have been his side. Without the guys up front your backers are asked to do way to much, and a s a consequence their out of position, their taking on linemen who should be occupied by guys playing the 5 tech. that Sey played. This is something that you either didnt know or just missed. Look at the Pitt D, their two ends Keisal and Smith are two of the more underrated linemen in the league. Everyone likes to talk about Troy and hes a great player, but they lost him for seven games last year. Their D really went to chit when they lost Smith this year, he was a big key to what they want to do on D as hes great against the run. Sey would have been a big help, but our backers were still not athletic enough, Mayo had a bad year, he was beaten around the edge and up the middle. He looked slow and let Brandon Merri. show him how to tackle. Im stiil waiting for someone to tell me who were going to get as that dom. rusher? And anyone who thinks thats all we need is fooling themselves and obvi. hasnt watched the Pats this year. I LMFAO when people say all we need is a pass rusher, really, what about an end, someone else in the middle. Do you really think Mayo can step up and be that guy we need him to be, plus make enough plays to cover the lack of talent beside him?  Also Merri took a huge step backwards this year, tackling, judgement, and the angles he took were all terrible. Sorry, but we need alot more than a OLB. And Im sorry, but its Dumervil, not Dumerville.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

And something that really bothers me is that if you have an opinion, thoughts or argumentt fine. Just back it up with something, anything. I have no problem with think outside the box, taking a minority stand on something, just bring your A game. Jason86 you said all we need is to get some players, well no chit! Who are these players, how are we going to get them, and lets stay on earth. Make some sense in your argument.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The problem is that they are even more ill suited to play 43 at this point. No 43 ends that can set an edge. Only one or two LBs who can fit that spot. 

It is six of one half a dozen of the other.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I think we need 3 to 4 quality newcomers regardless of the scheme.

And that's if we keep Wilfork and Bodden.

If we stay primarily in the 3-4:

One 3 down OLB to replace Thomas

One 2 down OLB (Banta Cain comes in on pass rushing situations)

One strong ILB to make tackles within 4 yards of the LOS, to replace Guyton.

One well rounded DE to replace Seymour.

What would our realistic needs be to field a high quality 4-3 front?

If it's 4 or less quality newcomers needed, I'd be open to it.

Guyton, Crable, and McKenzie aren't going to cut it, unless McKenzie takes Mayo's spot and Mayo is moved outside or something.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

"We do not have a true 43 DE on this team in my opinion let alone two."

We have 4 of the top 55 picks in a deep draft.

We need 3 starters at linebacker in the 34.

I think it's a toss up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The 3-4 has always been the Patriots' best defenses historically.

In the 1970s: DE Julius Adams, NT Ray Hamilton, DE Mel Lunsford with Tony McGee replacing him in pass situations.

1980s Super Bowl team: DE Julius Adams, NT Dennis Owens, DE Ken Sims

2000s Seymour and Warren at DE and Wilfork at NT.

And on the first Belichick SB teams, the Patriots used both 4-3 and 3-4. Remember McGinist playing a sort of hybrid positon of DE/OLB.

Still, whatever scheme, it's all a matter of having good players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat. Show seattlepat's posts

The answer to this question really depends on whether BB sees that he can secure someone who can play NT at an elite level for the next five years. It's easy to see who that will be next year, as NE always can tag VW. If history tells us anything, VW will be gone, so BB would already be looking for the next NT in this coming draft and next year's.

Brace? I don't think so. He has shown so far that he can easily be dominated at the line of scrimmage. He will be a back up and if things don't work out with VW, the bridge to 2011.