Should Playoff Seeding Be Changed?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Re: Should Playoff Seeding Be Changed?

So a team in a division who came in 1st place last year goes 11-5 the following year while another team in the same division goes 12-4, therefor becoming a wild card team. Then in another division a team who came in last place last year goes 9-7 and wins the division. I really don't see how it's fair the 11-5 team with the significantly harder schedule has to go to the home of 9-7 team with a significantly easier schedule. 

I am proponent of getting rid of divisions and just straight up sending the 6 teams with best records to the playoffs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

In response to freediro's comment:

So a team in a division who came in 1st place last year goes 11-5 the following year while another team in the same division goes 12-4, therefor becoming a wild card team. Then in another division a team who came in last place last year goes 9-7 and wins the division. I really don't see how it's fair the 11-5 team with the significantly harder schedule has to go to the home of 9-7 team with a significantly easier schedule. 

I am proponent of getting rid of divisions and just straight up sending the 6 teams with best records to the playoffs.

That would negate teams playing division teams twice a year and would bring many other teams into schedules?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

There is a business case to having divisions. It ensures that there is a playoff participant from each "region" of the country, therefore better likelihood of driving TV ratings, and therefore ad revenue. When you look at the divs, they roughly align to how marketing organizations of companies divy up the country into regions. Divs will never go away.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

There is a business case to having divisions. It ensures that there is a playoff participant from each "region" of the country, therefore better likelihood of driving TV ratings, and therefore ad revenue. When you look at the divs, they roughly align to how marketing organizations of companies divy up the country into regions. Divs will never go away.

This makes the most sense. That's the way it was thought out in the first place for reasons that you mention. It does seem unfair that a 9-7 Team winner in a Division beats out an 11-5 Team that needs to play on the road and its' seed adjusted downward. Then taking into account the 9-7 Team avoids all the other endless rules - head to head, Div wins etc-  just by taking the Division.

You've have some great posts and I enjoy reading you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Guess what?? The Cowboys' owner and esteemed GM Jerry Jones wants to expand the play-offs. That way, maybe his mediocre Cowboys might have a chance to qualify. Just what the league needs to do...reward mediocrity: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/03/jerry-jones-favors-expanding-the-playoffs/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

In response to digger0862's comment:

Leave it be. Who says the 11-5 team is better than the 8-8 team? All schedules are not the same.

If an 8-8 team is the best in the div, that means the team is in a weak div. If the 11-5 team is fighting for a WC, that means there is a team that has a better record... by inference they are playing in a better div.

Or by inference they play in a weaker division where only two teams that were bottom dwellers the year before are now the best in their division.

Sure, but what you are saying does not contradict what I am saying.

If you have a 10-6 record and you have two other teams in your div with better records, that means your div is better than any other div in the conf. Each of the three teams in your div will have good records against teams outside the div but within teh conf. When you compare the the wins and losses, the 10-6 will have a worse div record than the 8-8 div winner.

The four games outside the conf are seldom a factor.

So now instead of talking about two teams we are now talking about three. The fact still remains they could have played the two other weakest divisions in football which again padded their stats. Unless you are going to make every team play every other team it isn't fair to do away with the division leaders getting a home playoff game. 

While you think the four games outside of the conference are seldom a factor I believe every game, no matter the conference, is definitely a factor. They could be the difference between an 8-8 season and a 12-4 season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:

Issue is an 8-8 team is in playoffs when a 10-6 misses playoffs....they should eliminate the byes and take 2 more teams per conference

The bye week gives the regular season record so much more meaning.   I really like the system we have now, there ends up being so many different scenarios of who can get in, who gets bye, who gets home field, which in the NFL actually has meaning, hockey and basketball areans are all physically the same in the NFL in January huge diff from playing in new england or new orleans.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

In response to Bradysgirlforreal's comment:

That would negate teams playing division teams twice a year and would bring many other teams into schedules?

Exactly, I personally think teams should play a more diverse scheduling.  However, I still find the current system perfectly fine, but if I could change I would do away with divisions so the best record team gets in. I dont know about some of you but I get tired of playing the saem teams twice a year every year year after year after year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I understand why divisions exist, NFL is not around solely for our entertainment its a business first and foremost nowadays. However, with the Cowboys in the NFC east and St Louis in the NFC west, it kind doesn't make sense region wise. But I totally understand where you are coming from.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:

I like how it is now: a team only gets to host a playoff game if they win their division.

But recently more and more media folk are speaking out against it. They argue that a team that wins 12 games and finishes second in their division shouldn't have to play a playoff game on the road against a division winner that has only won 8 or 9 games.

I think they will eventually get their way because they won't shut up about it until they do.

With Goodell in charge, you're probably right. The other reason why this stupidity will become the Law of the NFL Land is that it will gives the owners an opening to expand the playoffs. Greed and Goodell are killing football.

+10

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Guess what?? The Cowboys' owner and esteemed GM Jerry Jones wants to expand the play-offs. That way, maybe his mediocre Cowboys might have a chance to qualify. Just what the league needs to do...reward mediocrity: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/03/jerry-jones-favors-expanding-the-playoffs/

they will need to let everybody into the playoffs for Jones to get in

Sections
Shortcuts