Should Sportswriters Be Punished for Making Offensive Comments?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Should Sportswriters Be Punished for Making Offensive Comments?

Check out this gem from PFT.com, in which the author criticizes Tim Tebow for not weighing in on the grossly overblown Reilly Cooper matter. But the author, Darin Gantt, takes it even further, by seemingly making fun of Tebow's religious beliefs, and in making comments which are highly likely to offend Christians. 

Here is the article. You be the judge:

Tim Tebow has nothing to say about Riley Cooper Posted by Darin Gantt on August 2, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT Tim TebowAP

Tim Tebow’s working out at Gillette Stadium, but he’s apparently living under a rock.

The Patriots quarterback decided to pass when asked for comment on his old college roommate Riley Cooper, who — perhaps you’ve heard — has gotten himself into some hot water this week.

I haven’t seen everything that’s happened,” Tebow said, via Emily Kaplan of the Boston Globe. “I’ve been pretty busy. I’m going to wait to comment until I hear what happened.”

Um, Tim, here’s the short version.

Cooper got drunk and said something hateful, which offended many of his teammates, and there’s no possible way any person employed in the NFL can be so focused that they haven’t heard about it.

For all his leadership and intangibles, Tebow’s developed a habit of not having much to say when one of his old pals gets in trouble, just as he didn’t comment on Aaron Hernandez.

Or maybe he’s just waiting to deny the Gators three times before the rooster crows and he weeps bitterly.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: Should Sportswriters Be Punished for Making Offensive Comments?

Poor Tebow.  He has nothing to win and everything to lose enging in this conversation   He's up in foxboro working his tail off and their trying to tie him to Hernandez and cooper. The more I see this stuff happen I hope he makes the team. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Why the hell does this guy have to comment on players he played with 4 years ago in another league, on another team? Makes no sense to me - maybe it was because he was a media darling, but even so, he shouldn't have to feed these writers or fuel this Riley Cooper thing. Right or wrong Riley Cooper is done and it's not just because of his racist comments, it's because he's an average with no production player - if he was an established, productive player? Things would really get interesting.

The guy who wrote that about Tebow should apologize, but that's the problem...you aren't allowed to say certain words, but you can make fun of religion all you want. Why don't we just ban the N word? No one should say it - it's an offensive, horrible word - I shouldn't have to hear it in 8 of the 15 top billboard songs (which you would if you bought it on itunes). I shouldn't have to hear Dominicans say it all day long or Puerto Ricans. I very rarely hear white people say that word (and that's good), but I do hear it from just about every other race on this planet (regularly) and that's not right to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Geez, is there anybody in the media who has the capability to write an objective story/article or have the majority of the consumers forced the media to turn out this type of drivel. Is this what we want from our "Journalist" these days.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Give the writer some credit.  He made something out of nothing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Geez, is there anybody in the media who has the capability to write an objective story/article or have the majority of the consumers forced the media to turn out this type of drivel. Is this what we want from our "Journalist" these days.

Don't think it's what we want...but it's what we're getting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

[QUOTE]

Don't think it's what we want...but it's what we're getting.

[/QUOTE]

It's sad. Most of the lead columnists are now writing articles to provoke instead of writing a factual thoughtful piece. It is how most of the electronic media sites get the majority of their hits.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I am sad that my children have to live in a world as stupid as this one has become. Ruled by dollars and clicks to the exclusion of all else. As painful as it is to not have grandchildren, I am sometimes gratefull that I have none.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Just another butcher scribe writing a NFL article like it's for "TMZ football edition".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Tim Tebow has the misfortune to belong to all three of the only remaining segments of the population it is still acceptable to bash.

Life is hard sometimes.

And no, I don't think sportswriters should be punished for making offensive comments. I think they should be punished for being unable to write cogent, compelling stories.

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

I am sad that my children have to live in a world as stupid as this one has become. Ruled by dollars and clicks to the exclusion of all else. As painful as it is to not have grandchildren, I am sometimes gratefull that I have none.  

Sad, isn't it?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMUFranco. Show JMUFranco's posts

It'd be fun to ask other PFT writers publically what their take on Mr. Gantt's Tebow article was. I'm willing to bet that their response would be eerily similar to what the response was that Tebow gave...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMUFranco. Show JMUFranco's posts

And as for the original question, I think my response is a soft no. I think held responsible is more semantically correct than punished, and here's why:

Their profession is based upon finding stories, creating headlines, generating interest, and keeping a consistent customer base. At this time of the season, there's not much truly to publish, so their job is quite difficult. Yet they take what's available for them and try to give us a polished product for our enjoyment. It's the nature of the media market that creates these absurd rehashed stories out of nothing, the writers are simply perpetuating it for their own self-interest, and who can blame them for that?

Let's be honest, we all have slip-ups at work. It's not like reporters are infallible by any means. I have seen PFT, ESPN, etc. writers apologize for factual incorrectness and for jumping to conclusions too early, among other things. Sports reporters, game broadcasters, etc. have come under public scrutiny tons of times for their comments, and some have been fired for them as well. Sure, his joke was in poor taste, but what do you want PFT to do? Fire the guy? Fine him? He's likely making no more than 40-50K a year as it is with a high-stress job trying to deliver a product for your enjoyment. If you fire the guy, you have to bring in a new person, use valuable time and human resource to train them, and hope that their connections for stories are as good as his were. Ultimately, it'd be a huge expense and the overall quality of the reporting wouldn't likely be noticeably better. We would hope he'd hold himself accountable for his words, but at least we know the viewing public will hold him accountable for them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Shld ouSportswriters Be Punished for Making Offensive Comments?

Although the piece borders on the pathetic, punishment isn't really appropriate.  I do agree that there should be some measure of accountability when someone paid to write produces something like that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Altho slightly off topic, we have become an intolerant PC nation. This country has many fine Black people who do their best everyday. Black people as well as all Americans have role models such as Dr. Ben Carson, Shelby Steele, Bill Cosby etc. But the people that get the attention are the race baiters such as Jackson, Sharpton, and Jay Z. The latter group is despicable and may be called anything as far as I'm concerned.

As to TT, he is a good person regardless of his football prowess. The writer is a first class azzhole!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

I've supplied this board with numerous examples of slander, libel, outright exaggeration and lies with many circumstances surrounding our own team (and that's just our team here), and it just doesn't matter.

Are you referring to 99% of your own posts?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Which part is supposed to be offensive to religious folk?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

No, we should still have free speech even if what you say is dumb.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Most of us would not have read that article had it not been posted here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Most of us would not have read that article had it not been posted here.

True...which is why I started this thread. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

True...which is why I started this thread.

I used to be an ESPN junkie. Sportscenter, Around the Horn, Pardon the Interuption, I watched all of them daily.

I used to watch all the CSNNE shows, Sports Tonight, New England Tailgate, Quick Slants. I used to love Felger when he first started there.

I used to buy the Boston Globe daily to get my Patriots fix. When the internet became popular I came to boston.com to read up on the comings and goings of my beloved Patriots. That's how I found these forums.

That has all since changed. I can't pinpoint the time or circumstance but I rarely watch ESPN or CSNNE now and I don't read any globe sports articles as there is little substance and too much sensationalism in them. I come to these forums to get all the news I need.

I do still read Mike Reiss daily and I still frequent Patriots.com and bostonsportsmedia.com but that's about it. Today's media is mostly garbage.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

That has all since changed. I can't pinpoint the time or circumstance but I rarely watch ESPN or CSNNE now and I don't read any globe sports articles as there is little substance and too much sensationalism in them. I come to these forums to get all the news I need. 

Same with me. 

The football shows are some of the worst.  Think about the time people spend watching "analyists" talk about a game.  There are two parts to any pre-game/post-game/halftime show. 

1.  What Smart Football Guy A thinks will happen. 

2.  Smart Football Guy A telling you what did happen.

Instead of watching three hours of that BEFORE the game and Lord-knows-how-many hours after, you could just, you know, watch the game...which you do anyway.

Post game interviews are long and boring, but the good stuff is quickly quoted online.  Injuries and transactions are updated as they happen online.

Why watch Shannon Sharpe speak less than intelligble words or get annoyed as Kornheiser fights with his guests?

Watching the game is all that matters anyway.

I listen to The SportsHub in my car simply because it's more interesting than whatever else is on the radio.  At home, online info and kickoff!

Sections
Shortcuts