Should the owners kick Goodell to the curb?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: Should the owners kick Goodell to the curb?

Blade, I'm not so sure that team's could sue him or even players for anything he has done so far. The league operates under an exemption to anti-trust law. Also he operates under pretty broad bylaws of the league and is selected by the team owners themselves.

Players could sue the league and might very well over the concussion issue. But I am not sure about suing him personally.

I think that all in all he is good for the NFL, the teams and to an extent even the players. He is embracing player safety for example. But he works for the teams, not the players.

The things I like least are actually league issues around rules (and so not the "fault" of the commish) that have made the league pass happy to the point where teams can almost ignore the idea of having a special running back. Without creating more serious injuries they could, for example, allow contact by defense on receivers for 10 yards, not 5. By starting to throttle back on the passing game it would make the running game proportionately more important. That means a step back towards more physical football in the trenches, a greater value to solid front 7 players, running backs and run blocking abilities of O linemen. It would lower scores. Not all fans will want that. After all, it is the TV ratings that are driving things and higher scores have generated higher viewership.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: Should the owners kick Goodell to the curb?:
    [QUOTE]The man may go down in history as the best commissioner ever.  While you revile his punishment of those who wish to succeed without consideration for rules, he is effectively dealing with what may be the most difficult issue in sports history.  The NFL is currenty at the top of its game in popularity.  When you reach the top there is only one way to go.  The goal of those at the top is to remain there as long as possible.  But no other sport (as far as I know) faces such a significant challenge from surprisingly inside its own confines.  Former players (some who may have legitimate beefs and others who are just looking for gold pieces from the NFL treasure chest) are suing the league for allowing them to play a game they voluntarily chose to play.  On the other side Goodell is being chastised by current players and even team management for rules designed to keep current players healthier - obviously so they won't also sue when their time and/or money appear to be running out.  These are incredibly difficult waters to navigate while attempting to keep the game as the biggest draw in American sports.  The owners get it.  They may wish that the commissioner didn't feel the need to employ penalties as he has, but they have invested hundreds of millions of dollars in their teams.  They don't want that investment lost.  They want it to grow.  It can't grow if the players that are paid millions by them are able to effectively sue for more money after their playing days are done and they've blown their money on bad investments and living large. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]+1

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]Goodell to do list -Make knuckle heads and their actions accountable-check -Work on rule changes to make the game safer for the players-check -Forge a long term working relationship with the players union-check -Forge a lucrative long term relationship with the media-check -Be a policeman for owners who cannot help themselves to include salary ceiling and basement, cheating, contract manipulation, etc-check Hard to see where the guy does not rate as an outstanding Commish 
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]+1.. can u imagine a metta world knuclklehead only getting 7 games when he intentionally and recklessly causes a guy to get a concussion with a flagrant elbow. he would have been out for the entire playoffs with mandatory psychological counseling and only due to come back upon staisfaction of the commich of said progress. you think this wack job with his track record would just keep getting a passs to further endanger his fellow participants?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should the owners kick Goodell to the curb? : You attribute this to Goodell? You are a wack job.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]YES... if things had all been negative, u would have been blaming goody. so if good, he gets credit. ditto with obama and others. he gets bin laden, he gets credit. the economy stinks, he gets the blame. got it?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

The issue most fans have is inconsistent punishment & team bias. Punish the Patriots for filming, then let the Jets walk free while they did the same thing. BB flaunting it after being warned? The Jets kept doing it for another 3 games after Goodell called the Patriots out on it, & the Jets were the originators of the filming. The Jets received the same league memo. Or did you all forget that? The filming was never proven to have any effect on the outcome on the field, but trip an opposing player from the sidelines during an active play? He didn't punish the Jets for that one either. If he had said that the Patriots & Jets were guilty, then slapped the Jets harder for filming for those additional 3 games, I'm pretty sure fans would have a different view of him. Why did 5 owners 2 off seasons ago state that he showed bias to both NY teams?  Oh, whatever happened to the investigation he promised in to the disappearance of the alleged tape from Goodell's residence that ended up at FOX? The same FOX who employ his wife, the only other resident in that house, & since the Jets also filmed, who can say it wasn't one of their tapes? It was awfully convenient for all of his evidence to disappear. The other screw-up was not explaining anything & leaving it up to the fertile minds of the NY media to make their own story up. It just snowballed from there & he either didn't have the balls to step up, was afraid, or didn't care. That's not the kind of character you want in a person running the NFL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Should the owners kick Goodell to the curb?:
    [QUOTE]The man is reviled in most fanbases throughout the league.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

The better time to ask this question would have been right after he supplied the fuel that the NY media needed to tarnish BB and the Pats with "spygate", by levying that ridiculously harsh punishment on BB, and the team.

But, thereafter, I really can't argue with what he's done. He knew that the trial lawyers were lining up against the NFL regarding the concussion cases. It's the main reason why he's coming down so heavy on "players' safety" issues, and doling out such excessive fines for hits to the head. It's also the main reason why he's been so hard on the Saints, for Bounty-gate. 

I'd never thought I'd be defending Goodell. But, I believe he's doing what must be done to preserve the league, in light of the coming plethora of law suits.

I'd never thought I'd be throwing compliments at Ron Borges either...but today he authored (I hope...LOL!!) an excellent article on the passing of Junior Seau, and on the possible fate of the NFL. The final paragraph of his article should be haunting for the NFL, it''s owners, coaches, players, and fans:

"Now (Junior Seau) is gone in a haze very likely caused by the savagery of the game he loved. Pro football and the men who run it have much to think about this morning beyond grief. They have to think about where their game is headed."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should the owners kick Goodell to the curb? : The above was a FIRST response to a fellow poster (bold included by me, not in original). Added Value? More like Where's Waldo... Babe: I never insult anyone The World: yes you do Babe: No, only when all else has failed do I insult them The World: Really Babe? Really? Babe: Yes you stupid fools. Only when they ignore all logic
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

My assessment of him was not an insult. Furthermore, it was an observation upon his body of posts over time. This incident only contributed to a summarized total.

Try addressing the subject of the thread. Posting only to chastise an individual without regard to the matter at hand appears only as the act of a bitter little punk.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should the owners kick Goodell to the curb? : My assessment of him was not an insult. Furthermore, it was an observation upon his body of posts over time. This incident only contributed to a summarized total. Try addressing the subject of the thread. Posting only to chastise an individual without regard to the matter at hand appears only as the act of a bitter little punk.

Quote from a two sentence post from Babe (to someone other than myself): You are a wack job.

Quote from Babe concerning that post: My assessment of him was not an insult 

Babe, your assessment of your assessment of him say worlds about you and sheds a bright light on everything you have to say concerning others. And, may I add, you are one FUNNNNNNNY guy!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should the owners kick Goodell to the curb? : My assessment of him was not an insult. Furthermore, it was an observation upon his body of posts over time. This incident only contributed to a summarized total. Try addressing the subject of the thread. Posting only to chastise an individual without regard to the matter at hand appears only as the act of a bitter little punk.

So Babe, when YOU say someone is a "whackjob" is that a scientific term, a technical term you use in your professional life? Does it have some special meaning when YOU say it? If someone else says it... perhaps about that same person... or, lets say... about you for instance... does it then take on its more common usage?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Should the owners kick Goodell to the curb? : Goodell is a pu**y and he is sitting in his Ivory Tower, out of touch with the average fan, turning ther game into arena ball at times
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

he probably does have a very good grasp of where the average fan is. he recognizes that  the average fan is a bonehead who knows nothing about what's good for the nfl in the long run. that's why he does not care what the fans think, at least on the big issues that he's tackling.

Sections
Shortcuts