Should the Patriots follow the 76ers lead?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

Should the Patriots follow the 76ers lead?

After the 76ers broke the seal of teams officially deciding to revert back to their original jerseys/logo, do you guys think the Patriots could be in line to follow the trend?

Better yet, would you like to see them go back to the Pat the Patriot logo?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: Should the Patriots follow the 76ers lead?

I would love to have a full season of throw backs but i dont think we need to revert back full time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

I'm not sure why we all have such an attachment to the old Uni's. Count me among the people that just love them. I can't wait for them to show up this year. Having said that.. They were bad back then.. REALY REALLY BAD..  BAD BAD BAD... So why ??? Why do we cherish that?? I don't think it's Pat patriot.. Although I have that as my screen saver.  I like the white helmets and the Red pants.. I don't know what it is.. Maybe it was all the drinking and comiseration.. If we beat the Phish and Jets once each it was considered a good year..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

justme2 makes a very good point, I think, about the attachment some of us feel for those old red and white uniforms. Stop me if you've heard this, but it's easy to be a Patriot's fan now. I might even go so far as to say that Pats fans are a little spoiled. Back when I was a very young man, you knew the spastic yahoos you saw around you in the stands were diehard -- they had to be, some of those teams in the early 80's were whimsically bad. It was a badge of honor, rooting for those Patriots. The fans were few (although some people misremember this) but they were staunch in their support. The fans who bandwagoned after the first Super Bowl disappeared just as quickly, and it took Drew Bledsoe (who deserves more credit than he gets) and Parcells to bring the team back from oblivion again, and I would be very suprised if I would recognize anyone in that stadium today as the kind of fan who would sit through a blizzard to watch one of the worst teams in the league beat the mightly Dolphins 3-0 (reference avatar). A win like that was a year's worth of smack talk in those days, and that's what the throwbacks represent to me. I hated the flying Elvis when it came, and while I have softened on that stance a little over the years, in my heart, Pat Patriot is still and always will be the logo of my favorite team.

And plus besides, older is better.
    Cool

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

Lot's of good thoughts here and great topic.  I agree with the thought that the uniforms were horrible when they actually played in them.  I think there are two reasons why they are viewed favorably now.

The first is the times.  Today fashion is all about the throwback with bright color; vintage gear.

The second is that the team is better.  I was a real little kid the last time they put those uniforms on for an entire season.  I remember thinking they didn't look fearsome enough.  Of course, now I understand that's irrelevant.  I think now that the team is so good they can afford to get away with a more whimsical look.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Pats would have made the playoffs more with Patriot Pat in the late 70's and 80's if they had 6 teams. From 1976 to 1988 we only had 1 losing season. It really wasn't until the 1989-92 debacle that has given Patriot Pat a bad name, and the late 60's early 70's for those that remember that time period.

Really, it's the players wearing the uniform and not the uniform that makes the difference in this league. I also like the uniforms in the 70's and 80's. Most teams looked better then than they do now. Especially teams like Buffalo, Seattle, and Atlanta.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from algreen75. Show algreen75's posts

In addition to the Pats going back to their old uniforms, I think these teams should switch:

Tampa Bay (tangerine pirate unis)
    Denver (80's Elway look)
    Buffalo (white helmet, red buffalo look when o.j. was their rb)
    Jets (I like the 80's jets logo)
    Tennessee or Houston (bring back the oilers logo...Tennessee's unis are the worst)
    Carolina (NHL--bring back the whalers logo)
    Colorado (NHL--bring back the nordiques logo)
    Atlanta (NBA--bring back the 'Nique 80's uni)
    Brewers + Blue Jays (bring back 80's look)
    Denver (NBA--bring back the alex english unis)
    Washington (NBA--bring back the bullets)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Here's my idea...keep the current blue and silver uniforms, but replace the flying elvis with pat patriot.  I love the current color scheme, but the pat patriot logo is awesome.  I think those would be some cool jerseys.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BellaCheate. Show BellaCheate's posts

The weany on the helmet snapping the ball? That guy? No way. Cremate him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: Should the Patriots follow the 76ers lead?:
    The weany on the helmet snapping the ball? That guy? No way. Cremate him.
    Posted by BellaCheate

You couldn't even spell cheat correctly, we should listen to you?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I really like the colts new jerseys much better than their old ones.

See full size image

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

Posted by underdogg
    Two different uniforms for two different teams. The Baltimore Colts were the real Colts. The team in Indy is lucky that they were called something else like the Baltimore Ravens.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Flasox, you are a grumpy man sometimes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

Flasox, you are a grumpy man sometimes.
    Posted by underdogg

Dogg
    Just yanking your chain. No malice intended.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Posted by underdogg

I do remember the Colts adding some grey to their uni-s in the 80's. Then you had those blue pants one year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArmyPatsFan. Show ArmyPatsFan's posts

I honestly think going back to the old uni's as a throwback once a year would be nice, but honestly, Red is wrong for the Pats.  We are the New England Patriots, aka, Minutemen, American Rebels.  The Red is the British color.  The Continental Army had a Blue coat, like the one old Pat Patriot wore.  I would be in favor of going back to the old style of the uniform, as long as its blue.  Hey we won 3 super bowls in blue and went to 2 more in it.  Stay Blue!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mitchfla. Show mitchfla's posts

same uniforms,current colors
    silver helmets with a current flying elvis head on pat the patriot making him look cooler and meaner!
    sick!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

The old uniforms for the Pats represent a time when all of us were younger and probably happier.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

Glad to see this thread has gotten a lot of action.

In addition to the algreen75 list of other teams that need to switch back I would like to nominate the Houston Astros. Those old orange and yellow unis were ridiculous.

I don't think I want to see all of the teams go back like some of you have mentioned, but just the ones that had classic old school logos.

Sections
Shortcuts