Should the Patriots trade the #22 pick for Brandon Marshall?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: Should the Patriots trade the #22 pick for Brandon Marshall?

In Response to Re: Should the Patriots trade the #22 pick for Brandon Marshall?:
    with welker being injured at the end of the season made the offense go to nothing.add him missing half the season.the offense will be nothing.yes edelman showed some flashes here and there,but not enough to say the offense is great.
    Posted by mosseffect43

I tend to think the opposite. with welker gone, i bet brady is thinking now that moss will get double-teamed. he''s already decided to return to his old smart self, and spread the ball among  three to four good though not stellar receivers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

It just isn't feasible. You can't just add stats and think the WR corps will meld together. There are only so many balls to go around and this would cause more issues than it would help. This is a really stupid idea. A third WR is a better fit for the pats, not another #1. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

A SECOND ROUND PICK FOR C.B.RICHARD MARSHALL,THE LEVEL AT WHICH WAS TENDERED,ABSOLUTELY.A FIRST FOR W.R. BRANDON MARSHALL,TEMPTING,VERY TEMPTING BUT THE DOLLARS HE WILL DEMAND WILL LIKELY OVER RULE THE TEMPTATION.RICHARD MARSHALL WOULD BE A SIGNIFICANT ADDITION TO THE DEFENSE GIVEN HIS TALENTS AGAINST BOTH THE PASS AND THE RUN AS WELL AS HIS FOOTBALL ACUMEN ANDWORK ETHIC AND CHARACT.I'D GO TO CONSIDERABLE LENGTHS TO GET THE YOUNG C.B. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

In Response to Re: Should the Patriots trade the #22 pick for Brandon Marshall?:
    Are you all insane!?!?! You would rather take a chance on a rookie DE or rush linebacker than a proven receiver in Marshall? Sure, the guy has had problems off of the field, but still, his talent is nearly unmatched in the league. Bill Belichick drafts value, not by immediate need, so I think this would be an amazing deal if they were able to snag him, as he has more value than 95% of the players in this draft.  Plus, this would leave the option to get Moss out of there, and redeem value for him now, opposed to him just retiring or leaving next year. Plus, the guy is only 26, only a few years older than some of the players coming from this draft.  He's got a long career ahead of him.  If Orton can get this guy TDs, how many you think Brady-Marshall can put up?  As we have seen, we can get to the Super Bowl with no defense. There are plenty of other picks for defensive ends.
    Posted by Patriothead22

Sorry, but your wrong about Marshall.  He's only 25.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

I'd take Marshall as well. The Pats need another outside receiver because of all the 3/4 wide sets they use.
    He wanted out of Denver because he feared for his life.
    I'd rather tame a tiger than train a kitten.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

so let me get this straight, you want to trade for boldin because he is a better deal than marshall? you want go give up a 2nd round pick for a WR who is older (~30) and probably on the decline who also wants to get paid? how is that better than the 25 year old Marshall for a low 1st rounder who wants to get paid, who can secure our WR corps for the next 5-6 years?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

according to
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/03/rumors-fly-that-brandon-marshall-is-broke/
    he is currently getting paid $2,198 million if I was making that much money for the production of 101 rec for 1120 yards I'd be ticked off too. I think we should offer him 5 million per season and he should be happy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAPats. Show LAPats's posts

Never craazy about trading away a first pick, but I gotta say I would not be upset if we went after B Marshall.  Guy's so good and so young, and with three picks in the 2nd round of a historically DEEP draft class as well as TWO #1's for next year to keep building with?  I say go for it.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Illmatic1. Show Illmatic1's posts

Nope.  Shop one of their #2's and pick up Boldin instead.  That way your still selecting in the 1st Rd. - and two 2nd's - along with picking up WR A. Boldin! (If the Cards bite of course).
    Posted by NOISE

Exactly, I would love to have Boldin on the Pats. Draft a DE (Brandon Graham or Everson Griffin) with our first pick, a RB (Ryan Mathews or Jahvid Best) with second, a CB (Devin McCourty) with our third or best available talent and Anquan Boldin with our last second rounder. Championship!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Ive been screaming about this guy forever. Hes 26 , in the prime of his career with 5-6 more great years left. He'd be a perfect fit here for a couple reasons , this team has been hurt ALOT by not having an X receiver to go along with Moss at flanker. His fills that void. Also Moss has been are ONLY real , consistant scoring threat since we got him in 07'. Marshell takes care of that. As great as WW was teams were all to happy giving him all those bubble screens , short slants and comebacks all day. As good as he was he didnt get into the end zone at all and that killed this team. Marshell is a HUGE upgrade from him , he'll catch as many balls and IMHO if we get him will average 11-13 TD's a year here. He is great in the short game running crossing patterns , combacks , and short slants. Plus he can stretch the field with the fade routes , slugo's , and 9 routes. This guy has been a top 5 receiver the past 3 years , so we know he's not a fluke. Hes been "the man" on a depleted rec. corp , so we know he can carry the load. Moss and Marshell would be the top duo in the league or at the very least top 2/3. Teams would stay up all week trying to contain them , figure out who's getting doubled etc. There arn't many receivers who can do what he does...ever if you think about. Im sorry , but all you guys talking about drafting a pass rusher at 22 clearly have no idea at all what your talking about! You dont , your not even close. You'd rather have Kindle than Marshell , you'd rather have Hughes than Marshell , give me a break. Again Im sorry Im not trying to be that guy "I know more football than you" , lol but you just dont know what your talking about. Making the jump to DE to OLB from college to pros is one of the hardest moves to make there is. Theres been so mant bust the last 5-6 years its not even funny , plus none of those guys are worthy of a first round pick. None have seperated from the next , all are bunch together. IMHO Marshell is worth a 1st and 3rd , getting him for just a one is a steal. This guy has put up 100/11-1200/7-8 for the last three years with no help on O at all. Again imagine him here with Moss and Edelman with 12 throwing to him. And we still have 3 second round picks. Theres no debate that this team absolutely needs a receiver , none at all. Were not going anywhere with the current O , the o-line needs help , but IMHO all we need right now is a G and I really like Mike Johnson who can play both sides and will be available in the second round. I have him tied as the best G in the draft. If we trade for Marshell , get Johnson in the second , and maybe a Dwyer could take our O to the next level. Everything above is absolutely possible , its not a reach to assume getting all 3 and the 2 picks in the second. Listen I know we need big help on D , but we dont run a 4-3 , so getting a Morgan , Paul etc is out of the question. I'd be willing to bet a weeks check that nobody will take a chance on the projected OLB's until late first. Im telling you none of these guys have step away from the next and with so many bust the last 5 years teams will take a step back. Who wants to gamble in the first round and get a Ghoulston , English , Maybin , Jackson(who , exactly) , was Robert Ayers worth a top 20 pick?  Was Manny Lawson worth a first rounder? Its not that I dont like these guys , I just dont like them in the first and think we can get a Thaddeus Gibson in the second. Theres no receiver including Bryant that compares with Marshell , in fact no player on O in this draft compares to him. We could give up our first and still get back into the first because we have 3 seconds. Jacksonville cant afford the number 10 pick , they will be itching to get out of there. I know its a lil' far fetched , but why not? We'd be getting a top 5 receiver and get our pick at 10 of the best O players , maybe McClain , Haden , or even Berry. He could fall , stranger things have happened. IMHO the PATS need to really do something this year , they have so many holes , good thing is they have alot of picks to work with. Adding Marshell and picking up a McClain/Haden would be huge , IMHO both are worth a number ten pick. To get back at an elite level this year we're going to have think outside the box a little bit and be aggressive , aggressivness is part of the game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Ive always loved watching Q and knew hed be a very good player coming out of FSU , but Id pass if it means giving up a 2. A third ok , but not a 2. Hes going to be looking for the same deal Marshell would , hes older and has been hurt more. And I dont see him in the same class with the Fitz's , Johnson's , and Marshell. Marshell has proved he can carry a rec. corp , he had no help on that side of the ball while Boldin has played his best playing along side maybe the best in the league in Fitz. Trading a number one for a 26 receiver that can give you 100/1200/10 for the 5-6 years is a steal. It amazes me how some of you dont like it , but then again most of you know jack about football. You think you do , but you have no idea. Yeah your real smart pointing out the fact that we need a pass rush...WOW great job. Now go back to the childrens table , theres no projected OLB that is worth gambling on when this team has so many huge needs. We need a ILB as much as a OLB , did you watch any of the games this year. We were slow , did a bad job at diagnosing , and a terrible job at wrapping up. That spot is in as much need as OLB. So is the S position , both of them , even though the PATS use them interchangeably. We've had both play FS/SS for years , a guy that Ive been high on for two year and screaming about all year is Earl Thomas. IMHO hes on Berrys level and might even be a better tackler , no doubt hes just as good of a ballhawk. He could be a GREAT FS and will have no problem coming up in the box and playing the run game. If we dont trade up/down hes worth taking or even moving up 3-5 spots to grab. This team has so many holes , but the good thing is we can almost take the best available because of that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

I do think Marshall is one of the top 3 WRs in the game when he's on the field. If Welker was 100% or even 80%, I might agree with many on this board, but that is a big unknown. I think our O is in more trouble than our D. If this was Andre Johnson (older) or Larry Fitzgerald, would this be a debate? No, but their respective teams wouldn't be letting them go because they wouldn't be complaining about their contract and have the same off field baggage, heh...  I dunno. I just look at the age relative to the production and don't think there is anyone else even close (can you put Megatron, Jennings or Colston in that class?). Honestly, I think Moss has another 3 years left in the tank at an elite level, but you are going to have to pay the same amount as you might Marshall. Do you want the guy who is maybe the #2 WR all time, but on the downside, or the guy who is maybe only a Top 10-20 WR all-time in the making (in part because of era), and heading into his prime (around age 28-29 for WRs)?  

My point is, is a top 5 current, long term WR option, who's played a bit under a Pats-like system, worth paying a good amount for, esp. if it means a really good run at a title this year with Moss looking contract elsewhere and Welker possibly back later in the season?  Is not the quality of our D linked to how well we control the ball on Offense and whether we can give our D a lead and the ability to gamble/take chances, e.g., see Saints?  I just think that with Marshall and maybe a free agent vet RB (westbrook, lt) that could catch the ball, we'd be pretty tough to stop... Revis can only cover one elite guy... 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

In Response to Re: Should the Patriots trade the #22 pick for Brandon Marshall? : I tend to think the opposite. with welker gone, i bet brady is thinking now that moss will get double-teamed. he''s already decided to return to his old smart self, and spread the ball among  three to four good though not stellar receivers.
    Posted by seattlepat70

I was kinda thinking the same, e.g., I always get this feeling at times that after 2007, Brady has a bit of tunnel vision with Moss... I don't know if I could blame him on that, however, I do wonder whether this was also the case with guys like Branch, e.g., if Brady just said to himself 'this ball is ultimately going to Branch even if I start off looking the other way'... I mean, there where a lot of Brady to Moss 'misses' or 'near-hits' that just seemed to scream 'I'm looking only at Moss, just try to stop us, I don't care what the coverage is' ... Maybe you need to do that every so often when you have a talent like Moss, or maybe that is just teams doing a better job disguising their coverages to make Brady think he's making a better throw than he is...  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The question is who is a better value Marshall for a 1st or Bolden for a 2nd or 3rd ? Marshall is in his prime, but so is Welker. And we really only need a receiver that can catch 40-45 balls a season. I agree that Marshall is an elite talent (if harnessed), but this is starting to reach the ol fantasy offense scenario, which seldom plays out in reality. Bolden only needs to catch 40-50 balls for this offense to be successful. Edelman plays the slot, Moss plays deep and ? plays the #2 guy that draws coverages away from Moss (in theory). Both Marshall and Bolden are known NFL quantities, in contrast to any WR the Pats might draft.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Should the Patriots trade the #22 pick for Brandon Marshall?:
    ESPN just reported that Denver has just tendered Brandon Marshall with 1st round designation rather than the highest designation of a 1st and a 3rd in hopes of potetially engineering a trade.  The question is, should the Pats bite on this?
    Posted by angel3781

You can't be serious. Give up our 1st round pick for a head case WR, who will cost a boatload of money to sign?

N-F-W!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

it is an uncapped year $ is not a problem, give him 6 mil per season for 4 years and we will get another deep threat WR who is young and who fights for yardage and to get open. If we can trade our 1st down and pick up a 3rd/4th round pick and get brandon marshall that would be the equilivant of one he!! of a pick.  we would get a top WR (and pay him about as much a team is gonna have to pay dez bryant) and potentially get Veldheer OT (hillsdale) in the 3rd who is practically a Vollmer clone, this one move will greatly improve our offense. All we would have to give up is the 22nd pick in the draft.  remember that is pretty close to where watson and maroney were selected so there is a chance for the player we select to be a bust.  we already know Marshall is a WR threat so we don't have to take that chance like we would if we drafted a WR or another player in the 1st.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Nate, I am anti Marshall, but if we could sign him for only 6 mil a year, that I would go for.  However, that is not going to happen.  He wants more like 9-10 per. You are dreaming to think he would go for 6 mil

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Nate, I am anti Marshall, but if we could sign him for only 6 mil a year, that I would go for.  However, that is not going to happen.  He wants more like 9-10 per. You are dreaming to think he would go for 6 mil
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

Moss recieved a little more than 8 million in 2008, in 2007 he recieved a little more than 3 million, this year he is at 14 million. the average is a little over 8 million, so 6 million per year average (4 years) sounds reasonable with a signing bonus ($10 million) =34 million 4 years which would be 8.5 million per year on average. Very fair rate for a WR

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patswirelessfan. Show patswirelessfan's posts

Trade NE next years 1st round pick (keeping the Oakland Raiders pick) and pick Marshall up.

Structure the deal so he has monetary incentive to perform and keep out of trouble.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

We need that pick for a Tight End . . . who is left to play that position?  Unless they go were only the brave dare and draft Tebow in the second round and make him a TE while he learns how to "throw correctly."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccusson1122. Show ccusson1122's posts

We can pick up a tight end late in the draft or in F-Agency, dont be surprised if we trade for Greg Olsen... Also I would trade a first rfor brandon marshall in a heart beat the dude is sick. But im sure he will be in seattle after a week because i know they will sign him to an offer sheet!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

and give up the 6th overall pick to get him i don't think so.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBAZ22. Show DBAZ22's posts

No.

Sections
Shortcuts