Should the Pats look into trying to acquire Brandon Marshall or Tavaris Jackson?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradysbgstfan. Show bradysbgstfan's posts

Should the Pats look into trying to acquire Brandon Marshall or Tavaris Jackson?

I know it seems crazy for me to suggest, but please allow me to state why I think this is a reasonable situation. I feel the Patriots do not have a clear cut number 2 receiver. Joey Galloway is a veteran, but I still don't feel confident in him. With double coverage on Moss, there's still the easy short passes to Welker, however imagine the offensive firepower with Moss and Marshall on the outsides. I just can't imagine. Now, I say we could trade Joey Galloway to Denver, and maybe a first round and second round pick. I realize Marshall wants a long term contract, but if they could convince him of possibly getting a championship this year, I believe he'd take the bait. We all know the childish ways Marshall has been acting as he's been called a "Little T.O." however the Patriots have had luck with bad character players, (i.e. Corey Dillon and Randy Moss). If they choose not to give him a long term contract, and he has a huge season, they can trade him for a defensive star, I said star, not superstar, and possibly a draft pick.  Two other notes I'd like to point out, the Broncos coach, Patriots former OC, may be willing to make a deal with the Patriots?? Also there are rumours the Jets are trying to contact him, Patriots NEED to keep him out of the AFC East in my opinion. Those are just my opinions, feel free to object.

I also believe if the Vikings release Tavaris Jackson, which seems to be the majority opinion, the Pats should look into signing him, not saying I don't trust Andrew Walter, but come on, I believe Jackson would be a more valuable back-up for Brady than Walter or Hoyer. Appreciate any feedback!

Have a wonderful day!
    Go Pats!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmartins16. Show bmartins16's posts

Re: Should the Pats look into trying to acquire Brandon Marshall or Tavaris Jackson?

In Response to Should the Pats look into trying to acquire Brandon Marshall or Tavaris Jackson?:
    [QUOTE]I know it seems crazy for me to suggest, but please allow me to state why I think this is a reasonable situation. I feel the Patriots do not have a clear cut number 2 receiver. Joey Galloway is a veteran, but I still don't feel confident in him. With double coverage on Moss, there's still the easy short passes to Welker, however imagine the offensive firepower with Moss and Marshall on the outsides. I just can't imagine. Now, I say we could trade Joey Galloway to Denver, and maybe a first round and second round pick. I realize Marshall wants a long term contract, but if they could convince him of possibly getting a championship this year, I believe he'd take the bait. We all know the childish ways Marshall has been acting as he's been called a "Little T.O." however the Patriots have had luck with bad character players, (i.e. Corey Dillon and Randy Moss). If they choose not to give him a long term contract, and he has a huge season, they can trade him for a defensive star, I said star, not superstar, and possibly a draft pick.  Two other notes I'd like to point out, the Broncos coach, Patriots former OC, may be willing to make a deal with the Patriots?? Also there are rumours the Jets are trying to contact him, Patriots NEED to keep him out of the AFC East in my opinion. Those are just my opinions, feel free to object. I also believe if the Vikings release Tavaris Jackson, which seems to be the majority opinion, the Pats should look into signing him, not saying I don't trust Andrew Walter, but come on, I believe Jackson would be a more valuable back-up for Brady than Walter or Hoyer. Appreciate any feedback! Have a wonderful day! Go Pats!
    Posted by bradysbgstfan[/QUOTE]

The Pats do NOT want T-Jack.  Trust me. I have watched him misread defenses for the last 3 years. I know this because I live in MN.  He is not a #2 or #3 for that matter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Re: Should the Pats look into trying to acquire Brandon Marshall or Tavaris Jackson?

In Response to Re: Should the Pats look into trying to acquire Brandon Marshall or Tavaris Jackson?:

#1.T-Jack is not the answer but AJ Feely would be if Philly releases him as expected (would be carrying 4 QB's if they dont with the addition of Vick).

#2. As for Brandon Marshall I think you offer enough that it makes it prohibitively expensive for the Jets to go over the top of the Patriots offer. If they choose to then the Patriots win in a way by making the Jets give up so much to get him. And If they don't come over the top of Pat's offer I think the Pats are ok because Belichick picks up draft picks and deals them like I hand out M&M's in office meetings. And I think with Moss on one side like was mentioned and Welker in slot and Marshall on the other this offense would break 2007 marks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Why, do you think they need a wife-beater or s h i t t y QB in Foxboro?

Seriously, though. Brandon Marshall is a headcase. Moss was a malcontent, but who would not be as a Raider? When BB brought him in he was much more mature than Marshall is. Plus I believe Randy is much more intelligent than Marshall. And not only in football. That's not even stating the two obvious concerns, money and compensation. The Broncos would surely want a first for this guy, or multiple seconds. And Marshall wants Larry Fitzgerald type of money. Bad combination for the Patriots. Three strikes, he's out, IMO.

Tavaris Jackson likewise has not shown the aptitude to be a QB on this team. He has the physical ability, but he's more of an ad-lib type player. For a lot of the same reasons I wouldn't have wanted Vick, I wouldn't want this guy. If they do trade for a veteran QB, I would think Feeley would be their best choice.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

marshall is being an idiot because he is still on his rookie contract of around 800K.... why would he want to be traded to a team that wouldnt be able to afford to pay him???? he wouldnt... he has a ton of talent but he isnt reliable at all and is very childish

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_439198. Show user_439198's posts

Brandon is kicking around for a long term deal and $$$$.He raising hell to get $$$$. So the only way we can get him is throw in a tonne of money. then watch what wes ,vince ,seymour do.

Jackson is horrible and also with no training camp and passing camp he is not going to be ready for another year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I see the Pats picking up Damon Huard.  As far as Marshall goes, stop it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

no.next question?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimKe. Show JimKe's posts

Sure the Patriots should go after Brandon Marshall.  All Denver would want

is Jarod Mayo.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from damngood. Show damngood's posts

See if Josh McDaniels will take greg lewis and a second round pick next year, he owes us for Le Kevin Smith and Hochstein (semi-kidding)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradysbgstfan. Show bradysbgstfan's posts

Well, I liked reading everyone's opinion. I just thought I'd get other Patriots fans thoughts on something that was on my mind. Marshall would probably find someone way to act like a deviant little child if the Patriots even did somehow work out a cheap deal to bring him to New England, besides, if he ever ends up playing a game for Denver this year, I see his numbers going WAY down. With a quarterback like Kyle Orton, I just don't see big numbers, but I could be wrong.

As for the T. Jackson question, I saw them talking about him on SportsCenter this morning when I first posed the question, so I figured I'd throw it out there, idk, I still feel given the right system and opportunity maybe there's a decent quarterback somewhere in him, but I do have to agree..Feeley would be a much better choice. I live here in Northeast PA, and about 45 minutes from Lehigh University where the Eagles have Training Camp, so the football fan in me loves going to watch them practice (No worries, I still love the Patriots), but he does seem like he's got skills, plus he's a really nice guy, met him twice!

Anyway, I just joined the forums today, I'm Steve by the way. I'm 21 years old and currently in college and can't wait for the home opener Monday Night of the 14th. I was lucky enough to get Brady's autograph at the 2007 Training Camp, one of the best days of my life!

Take care everyone!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

In Response to Re: Should the Pats look into trying to acquire Brandon Marshall or Tavaris Jackson?:
    [QUOTE]Well, I liked reading everyone's opinion. I just thought I'd get other Patriots fans thoughts on something that was on my mind. Marshall would probably find someone way to act like a deviant little child if the Patriots even did somehow work out a cheap deal to bring him to New England, besides, if he ever ends up playing a game for Denver this year, I see his numbers going WAY down. With a quarterback like Kyle Orton, I just don't see big numbers, but I could be wrong. As for the T. Jackson question, I saw them talking about him on SportsCenter this morning when I first posed the question, so I figured I'd throw it out there, idk, I still feel given the right system and opportunity maybe there's a decent quarterback somewhere in him, but I do have to agree..Feeley would be a much better choice. I live here in Northeast PA, and about 45 minutes from Lehigh University where the Eagles have Training Camp, so the football fan in me loves going to watch them practice (No worries, I still love the Patriots), but he does seem like he's got skills, plus he's a really nice guy, met him twice! Anyway, I just joined the forums today, I'm Steve by the way. I'm 21 years old and currently in college and can't wait for the home opener Monday Night of the 14th. I was lucky enough to get Brady's autograph at the 2007 Training Camp, one of the best days of my life! Take care everyone!
    Posted by bradysbgstfan[/QUOTE]

i agree about jackson..... he has potential to be solid. just dont know how many starting oppurtunities he will get..... i am pumped for the opener as well... been a long summer

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpygme. Show bigpygme's posts

from a Broncos perspective -
    if there's a way to move marshall and get compensation the Broncos ought to grab it.  even though McDaniels is saying No Deal (and where was that language when they still had Cutler ? !! ) Marshall ought to go.  he's real bad news for the Broncos in ways he might not be with someone else.  and he thinks Jay Cutler showed him the way to get McDaniels to show him the door, so he's gonna keep pushing for it even after the suspension.  

so, give it to him.  show him the door.  if the Pats can come through with an offer that meets the Broncos needs, and they are many, he ought to go.  and with all their picks and personnel, the Pats ought to be able to package something.  the tripping factor really is that the Broncos are VERY high on Marshall's potential to be top flight as he develops and would want something pretty substantial to part with him. 

that's what i see - what do YOU think ?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oleme. Show oleme's posts

Neither.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kg1. Show kg1's posts

No.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

No to Marshall, no to Jackson...Lets get Deion Branch and AJ Feelme

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from noneofyourbusiness19. Show noneofyourbusiness19's posts

Would I like to have Marshalls talent here in Foxboro, you betcha, do I want some prima-donna spoiled brat athlete coming into the mix of my team when I have just lost two of my biggest character team leaders (Bruschi and Harrison) not a chance.  This guy is going to be a headache where ever he goes.  We need to re-establish the leadership on this team with Guys like Mayo and hopefully Wilfork. I think Branch would be a better fit if he becomes available.  As for Jackson, he's also not a good fit, this guy is looking for a team he can play on and that ain't gonna happen with Tom Brady on the team.  I think a veteran quarterback like Feely would be a much better fit, once again if he becomes available

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Brandon Marshall has the potential to make his histrionics tolerable with solid play on the field, but to me, he is still a headache not worth the trouble.

Tavaris Jackson is not now, nor will ever be, anything resembling an NFL quarterback of any kind.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Maturity issues are one thing. Sometimes people grow up. But either you are a piece of garbage  that thinks it's ok to beat women or you aren't. It's really that simple. It's no different than being a child molester. It's not something people grow out. It's not immaturity- it's a character defect. The Krafts (especially Myra) would never take on player like Marshall so it's a moot point.

As for Jackson, what's the point? How is he any better than any of the backups they have now? It seems like every year BB seems to ignore one position. This year it's backup QB. Hopefully they can pick up a serviceable backup at some point.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyPieman. Show JohnnyPieman's posts

If Denver put Marshall on the block and I was in the Pats braintrust I would see what they wanted just to be thorough. He may be a total jerk, ala Leon from the old Budweiser commercials, but I don't see a player in the NFL who Bill Belichick and Tom Brady couldn't browbeat into behaving. For all of his douchbagginess lately, he is a monster at WR. Imagining a WR corps of Randy Moss, Brandon Marshall, and Wes Welker in the slot on the field at once, with Tom Brady at QB? That would be causing panic attacks around the league all year. You could not double team anybody.

You'd need 2 CB Nnamdi Asomugha clones, S Ed Reed, and S Bob Sanders to get to sleep at night before the game.

Throw in TE Chris Baker and RB Fred Taylor or RB Kevin Faulk, and you might beat 2007's offensive stats.

Denver would want something crazy though, and that would be that. Even if he were an angel. Done.

ILB Jerod Mayo and a high draft pick, say one of the 2nd rounders we have stocked for next year's draft. Maybe Mayo and next years number one. I don't think the phone call would end with a deal, that's for sure. Maybe laughter.

Reading some of the New York back pages, the gut feeling there is that with the Jets they asked for the moon, a day one pick, and LB David Harris. I think he's sticking in Denver.

On Tavaris Jackson? I don't see it.

I think if the Patriots don't trade for AJ Feeley then they aren't trading for anybody, and are sticking with the tandem of Andrew Walter and Brian Hoyer unless a real surprise QB cut goes down.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]marshall is being an idiot because he is still on his rookie contract of around 800K.... why would he want to be traded to a team that wouldnt be able to afford to pay him???? he wouldnt... he has a ton of talent but he isnt reliable at all and is very childish
    Posted by rebels1520[/QUOTE]

I was going to say something along the same lines.  There's a difference between instigating incidents when you're immature (Marshall, Pacman, Cutler) and becoming frustrated with losing without hope of winning (Moss and Dillon).

Marshall isn't looking to play for a contender and win a championship - he's looking for money.  What kept the frustrated players in line was the opportunity to win games and win a championship.  This wouldn't be the case with Marshall, and I don't think it would work.  I'd have to hear and see it come straight from him in order to think it would work.

And even then, I'd rather see the Patriots revisit Julius Peppers before thinking about adding another player to the offense.  I'm sure Brady will be just fine - chemistry between two players (Galloway and Brady) demands time.  Even Moss and Welker admitted that they weren't as comfortable with the offense in 2007 as they were in 2008.

Sections
Shortcuts