Should the Pats Protest the Game

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

Re: Should the Pats Protest the Game

In response to tanbass' comment:
    [QUOTE]

That FG was close no matter how you look at it. The rules state that it can't be reviewed if it is (above the uprights) which it was. From the camera angles. there is no way of tellling for sure. There is only one guy right below it, and without the camera having that same angle, how can one argue?....Let's face it....it was close.

I do have a solution moving forward....either make the posts 20 feet taller, or use laser light to make sure the call is right. With the $$ the NFL produces, one would think the'y make a change here.

[/QUOTE]

Excellent post. I didn't have a chance back and watch the game again yet, but intially I thought they missed the FG.  I'm basing it just on the angles shown, not the players reaction.

How can they not address this issue moving forward? The laser light sounds like a good way to address this problem.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PTERODACTYL. Show PTERODACTYL's posts

You've got to be kidding with this protest nonsense.  They lost - get over it already.  Pats fans continue to come up w/ excuses every time they lose.  Truly pathetic.  No wonder they are the scurge of the NFL outside of NE.  

Yes, the officiating has been troublesome.  But in many other games the issues have been a lot more clear-cut wrong than a judgement field goal.  As stated, the play can't be reviewed.  Even if it could, there are no magical camera angles to definitively prove one or other if it was good or not.  I'll bet every single team can point to a play or game questionably called and claim to have 1 or 2 more victories than they have now.  Stop embarassing yourselves and move on.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

The horrible calls went both ways.  The Pats really only have themselves to blame.  As others have said, if they pick up 1 more 1st down the game is over.  They also missed 2 gimme INT's and absolutely horrible throws by Flacco. 

As with many, many games so far this season the refs for long stretches had no control.  The calls, particularly in the secondary, were beyond inconsistent.  As Collinsworth and others in the national media have said, these guys are not qualified to do this job. 

As far as the FG, I thought it was good.  If it had been another 1-2 yards it would have missed.  FG's are not reviewable, maybe they should be but they are not.  If they were it would have been a case of "not enough evidence to over turn the call on the field".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMW5. Show BMW5's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

getting more and more like the NBA.........don't like it.

[/QUOTE]

MY thoughts exactly. Gave up watching the NBA after many years because of VERY bad officiating. In the NBA the game always includes a discussion regarding how the officials (refs) effected the game.  Now it’s the same in the NFL. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from clouts. Show clouts's posts

What an embarassing post.  Of course he shouldn't protest.  Or, at the very least, there is no way a protest will be upheld.  That would mean the Emporer Goodell would need to admit fault in this fiasco, and that surely won't happen.

Take the view out of Red, Silver and Blue glasses (or Purple & Black; Black and Gold; etc.) glasses, and the refs have been horrible on both sides.  Stop acting like Jets fans.  Nobody is out to get you.  The refs are just in over their head, and as long as we all keep watching and betting on it, we have to deal with it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from punchy. Show punchy's posts

NO, The refree's that are doing the games,have no experience and are doing a poor job. With that said there doing a bad job for both sides of the ball.I can not watch a poor quality product.Thus I haven't watched more than 20 minutes of the first three games this season. Not interested in semi pro football selling as professional.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkkk. Show dkkk's posts

what a bunch of sissy whiners, u lost get over it

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FireGuyMA. Show FireGuyMA's posts

Sure.  Protest.  Let The League go out there and say, "As a result of the New England Patriots' protest, The League reviewed the field goal.  Under rule [insert reference here], the kick is no good.  The ruling on the field is reversed.  Since time expired on the play, awarding the win to the Patriots would not require an additional play.  Therefore, the Patriots are awarded the win with a final score of 30-28."

Not gonna happen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Z. Show Z's posts

Sorry, folks.  As much as I'd like to join the mob in dumping on the officials in this case, the simple fact is that none of the available replay angles can show conclusively whether or not the kick was good, since it's impossible to determine in any of them the exact point in time at which the ball crosses the plane of the goal line.  That's why the rules don't allow reviews when the ball is above the top of the goal posts.  Given the technology currently employed by the NFL, any such review would necessarily be inconclusive.

Regardless of how much the commenters here or professional windbags like Skip Bayless may enjoy ranting about it, the only person in that stadium (or in the control booth or at home, for that matter) who was in a position to see with absolute certainty whether the ball was inside the goalpost at the exact moment it crossed the plane was the official who made the call.  That's why he's positioned there.  As excruciatingly frustrating as it may be to have to accept his word for it, especially given the general incompetence the officials demonstrated throughout the game, there are absolutely no grounds for protesting the call, since nobody can definitively prove that it was incorrect.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

If the Pats protest, Godell will either fine them $750,000 and take a first round draft pick or make some Pats players serve the Saints suspensions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from charlestonfan. Show charlestonfan's posts

All over ESPN and other stations today - field goal was NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now what?

Ed Reed - no suspension or fine for that vicious intentional hit???????

Joe Mays - no suspension for that helmet spearing taking part of Schaub's ear off ????????

No suspension for that ridiculous hit on Heyward- Bay !!!!!!!!

do we need a death or paralysis?  Ok, let's fine belichick because he " touched " a coward official running away from the game he butchered....and let's let the inmates run iwld in the asylum every game

Goodell - you are a pompous, arraogant fool !!!!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from charlestonfan. Show charlestonfan's posts

In response to FireGuyMA's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sure.  Protest.  Let The League go out there and say, "As a result of the New England Patriots' protest, The League reviewed the field goal.  Under rule [insert reference here], the kick is no good.  The ruling on the field is reversed.  Since time expired on the play, awarding the win to the Patriots would not require an additional play.  Therefore, the Patriots are awarded the win with a final score of 30-28."

Not gonna happen.

[/QUOTE]

BUT IT SHOULD!!!!!! Let's not ever do the right thing, because it might set a precedent !!!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Kraft didn't protest spygate, he won't protest this.

[/QUOTE]

hi babe! hey did you hear? rusty blames brady...says if he were a real qb he would have ran from the sidelines, leadped up 30 feet in the air and knocked the ball away

[/QUOTE]

I think it's pretty clear Mallet would have made that play.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Aileron Don. Show Aileron Don's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Serious question. I am not sure what good it will do, but at least they can go on record for a call that was not only incorrect for Baltimore to win the game, but it wasn't even reviewed under the 2:00 or less rule.

What an absolute embarrassment for the NFL.   I thought the refs would be ok and they'd be able to mask some flaws, but this is an outrage for NFL fans.

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/9/24/3380874/bill-belichick-ref-field-goal-patriots-ravens

[/QUOTE]

TOTALLy AGRRE with you dude... it was a disgrace.  How do those refs sleep at night by being so bad and actually getting paid for it!  Wow is all I can say.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Aileron Don. Show Aileron Don's posts

[QUOTE]

That FG was close no matter how you look at it. The rules state that it can't be reviewed if it is (above the uprights) which it was. From the camera angles. there is no way of tellling for sure. There is only one guy right below it, and without the camera having that same angle, how can one argue?....Let's face it....it was close.

I do have a solution moving forward....either make the posts 20 feet taller, or use laser light to make sure the call is right. With the $$ the NFL produces, one would think the'y make a change here.

[/QUOTE]

GREAT points.... man I am so ticked-off by that lame game by refs... owners need to own up and MAN UP !  Losers....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Melikesports. Show Melikesports's posts

Not sure if this has been posted, but I saw this on another site...pretty clear it was a miss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eju62GXyf8

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to charlestonfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All over ESPN and other stations today - field goal was NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now what?

Ed Reed - no suspension or fine for that vicious intentional hit???????

Joe Mays - no suspension for that helmet spearing taking part of Schaub's ear off ????????

No suspension for that ridiculous hit on Heyward- Bay !!!!!!!!

I would guess there will be fines for all the hits you mentioned.

Regarding the Reed hit..... I don't think Reed was trying to hurt Branch.  He led with and hit him with his shoulder, not his helmet but did get Branch in the head.  It was more of a case of a "defenseless receiver", which is a rule I'm not crazy about in the first place but will likely be fined because of the head contact.

do we need a death or paralysis?  Ok, let's fine belichick because he " touched " a coward official running away from the game he butchered....and let's let the inmates run iwld in the asylum every game

Goodell - you are a pompous, arraogant fool !!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Livestill. Show Livestill's posts

Yes they should, but the protest is that they had to use a "replacement defense"  as opposed to their real defense.  Seriously, the Ravens could march down the field way too easy.  Flacco says he is the best quarterback in the game and you took upon yourselves to prove it.  We should of seen something was wrong the first week when Tennessee got all those points.  What's worse about this loss?  The Jets won so now we are a game behind.  NO, don't blame the refs just tighten up the defense!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DonInSac. Show DonInSac's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We can put a man on the moon? Right now in 2012? Without getting someone killed in the process? I wouldn't be so sure about that.

[/QUOTE]

Angle and depth can't be determined by the photo.  It was hooking for sure.

"We can put a man on the moon but ..."

[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DonInSac. Show DonInSac's posts

FG call at the end was only icing on the cake. By then, the damage had been done.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dullbert. Show Dullbert's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lasers embeded on the edge of the posts, turned on only at kicks, would clearly show good or bad.  I like it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

In response to Ranger Dan and his big dog Dick's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He missed and everyone there knew it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eju62GXyf8

[/QUOTE]

I didn't agree with people saying he missed it. But this angle's pretty convincing. It looks like he missed.

But honestly, I don't fault the refs for missing this call. It's a tough one, even for the regulars. It's the numerous blown calls prior that were inexcusable.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

They could protest but I've never seen a successful protest. The NFL will always back the Refs.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts