Should the Pats rest against the Texans in Week 17?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Should the Pats rest against the Texans in Week 17?

I know a lot of Patriots players are beat up (Brady, Warren, and Bodden, among others).

Should the Pats rest in their last game of the year against the Texans in Houston?  And if so, for how long?  Do you pull them if you fall behind and play for a blowout?  Do you set a time limit on how long you want them to play?

Or do you play this game like any other in case Cincinnati upset Indianapolis (would be #4 Cincy going to #1 Indy in the second round if the Pats beat Houston) so a potential AFC Championship Game could be at home?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: Should the Pats rest against the Texans in Week 17?

Would somebody please cue Hermm Edwards for me?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joakimbrian. Show Joakimbrian's posts

rest em and let hoyer take over for brady
    benjarvus should get some action, with fred taylor or just taylor and morris

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

I say let them play....if they are fortunate enough to get a decent lead by the third qtr then sit some starters, but just because they had a great game yesterday they cant let up. 

Next week will be a great game to see how much this team has improved against the pass.  Houston has alot of offensive weapons.  If they get lit up then there is still some issues, but if NE defense handles HOU offense then we should all feel pretty confidant about this team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

They should play because thats what football players do. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Dinged up guys should rest. The remainder of the team should play until the Pats have a win pretty much sewn up.  If that's in the third quarter, you can start pulling players then.  But as long as the game is undecided, you should keep your starters in, even if that means playing to the end of the game.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

Treat it like a preseason game. Play your starters for the first half and into the third then pull them

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

The team is just starting to click, why would BB rest them. They need to play against a pretty good team

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

They should rest the nicked up players -- including Brady and Wilfork.  Those two are the key to the future.  (When are we going to resign Wilfork?).

If we were 15-0, then I would say play them.  However, there is no difference between 10-6 and 11-5 here.  The only reason to play for a win is that if Cincy should beat Indy in the second round, and we beat SD in SD (assuming, of course, that we win the wild card), then Cincy would have to come here rather than us going there.  Of course, that also means we would have to travel to SD rather than the shorter trip to Indy for the second round.

All in all, I say rest the bucked up players.

(BTW, this stupid word censor blocked my original submission because rather than nicked I used the word with letters B then A then N then G then E then D.  How stupid!)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

no.  they need to keep the momentum going.  maybe shorter player rotations but they need to keep playing, and "play to win the games" 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

of course, yes, if a player is hurt, then sit him (Wilfork, et al)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

not to mention its a road game against a better team then the bill,s.this game could be a measureing stick on how far the pats will go in the playoffs.will they be one,and done,or can they win on the road against good teams that can score,and prevent scoreing?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

They play, is not else excited about how the offense looked yesterday?  Why would you not want that same offense getting it into a higher gear before they play their first playoff game?

If we win we lock 3rd seed right?  what if indy and chargers loss their games?  the afc championship comes through NE why not play with that in mind.
    Indy is not good in the playoffs and the charges even though are on a high they can be beat.  I say let them play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

" what if indy and chargers loss their games? "

If we get to the finals, we will play at least ONE road game.  If we finish #3 seed, then we go to SD.  If we finish #4 seed we go to Indy.  No way can we not play at least one of them if we win the wild card game.  So, which one would you rather play? 

I say I would rather play Indy in Indy because of the travel time.  Also, I think they are the most over-rated 14-1 team in history (except for Manning who is obviously hall-of-fame first ballot).  I think SD is a better all-around team, so I would hope for Cincy to beat them (revenge!) and play Cincy here rather than SD there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

here is bradys take.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2009/12/will_brady_sit.html

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

if BB rests Brady and others than all the whiners on here about how the Colts "gave the game" to the jets are complete hypocrites. It doesn't matter whether they are undefeated or have 5 loses, pulling players that could play just to keep them healthy is the pu#sy way out, right Pats fans??

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pymus1. Show pymus1's posts

The difference between BB abnd the Colts - BB will use this game to his advantage. They will play their starters for most of the game to prctice some of their gadgets, tighten up the screws with the reciving core - reinforce the Brady to Moss connection. What you wont see are things like Brady forcing the ball and getting Welker clothes lines. Brady will simply choose to throw the ball away. Probably pull Brady in the third.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I'm a little worried about Brian Cushing or Mario Williams getting a big hit on an already-beat-up Brady.

I'd like to see the Pats maintain momentum, but not at the expense of injuries.

Brady says he wants to play, though.  I don't know if the Colts have anything to do with it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

play 2 or 3 quarters.  id rest Wilfork

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Keep the momentum going.  You cant worry about getting injured.  They didnt worry about for the last 15 weeks.  NE is not the Colts, they play every game to win.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

NEGAME...  spot on regarding letting them play.  I think the players themselves want to stay sharp and if they get a big lead, then the substitutions are made.  BB is not going to make this a "coasting" game just because of one really good game.  Need to see how the Pats do against another team with something on the line.  We do not need to let up on the gas pedal now!  These players are paid to play through to the SB, they have plenty of vacation time afterwards.

NickC1188 - A player can get hurt even in the very first series!  So at what point do you feel an "injury" can happen?  It can happen anytime in a game from the first to the last play.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

From the playoff scenarios, the Patriots are better off LOSING to the Texans...
    Double benefit...rest the players in a "bye" week, lose and improve your matchups...
    Win:  #3 seed, likely get Ravens in wildcard round, SD in divisional...
    Lose: #4 seed, likely get Jets in wildcard round, Indy in divisional....

I think our odds are better against Jets, then Colts...
    Who cares about the Bengals? We should beat them in an unlikely AFC championship match, home or away...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Texans have a pretty good airial attack correct?  They also have a decent D, these are two areas we've struggled against other teams. 
    This would be a good game to prepare for possible match ups in the playoffs against good passing teams.  The texans IMO have the best WR in the league and a solid running game.  This will be a test, their D is better than the Jags.  They have a pass rush, will be a good test against our OL.
    If we had played consistent all year long I would say they rest but they need and want the work this week against the Texans. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

I think we should treat it as the last pre-season game - get our starters in to maintain the rhythm - but pull them out after the first half....

BUT, I seriously doubt that BB will heed my expert advice :-) I would be surprised if he does not try to win that game and maintain momentum going into the playoffs !!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmadmax82. Show bmadmax82's posts

I would prefer they play starters. I understand that all it takes is one freak shot to the knee and the pkayer would be out of the playoffs. But we have a 3 game W momentum going on and a loss would put a halt to that. I'd say play the starters and try to get a good lead by 1/2 time, or 3rd quarter and bring Hoyer in. In all his mopup duties, I haven't seen him throwing the ball a lot! Also Taylor should play well to get some confidence going. Law-firm should also see some carries. Heck, butterfingers Maroney should see if he can break the 100 yard barrier!
    Not a lot to gain by resting players, but a lot to lose of we do!

Sections
Shortcuts