Should the Pats Trade Up?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Should the Pats Trade Up?

The Pats have the picks to move up in this year's draft.  Without going into the points system, are their any players worth the Pats moving up in the draft for their 1st and a 2nd?

Project top picks by Scouts:
    (No QB's listed for obvious reasons)
    A. Curry
    M. Crabtree
    Jason Smith
    Brian Orakpo
    Eugene Monroe
    Andre Smith
    Jeremy Macklin
    Tyson Jackson
    B. Pettigrew(might be worth it)
    B.J. Raji
    Aaron Maybin
    Malcom Jenkins
    Clay Matthews

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Re: Should the Pats Trade Up?

The economy and market will dictate the draft strategy...so I say no unless someone ridiculously talented falls into their lap.  Teams are worried about the labor agreement, it will change the contracts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]The Pats have the picks to move up in this year's draft.  Without going into the points system, are their any players worth the Pats moving up in the draft for their 1st and a 2nd? Project top picks by Scouts: (No QB's listed for obvious reasons) A. Curry M. Crabtree Jason Smith Brian Orakpo Eugene Monroe Andre Smith Jeremy Macklin Tyson Jackson B. Pettigrew(might be worth it) B.J. Raji Aaron Maybin Malcom Jenkins Clay Matthews
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

Their 23rd plus, say, their 34th, should place the Pats in a position to move up to, say, 9-12 spots. But, that won't get them Orakpo, Crabtree, Curry, Smith, or Monroe. So, is it worth it? Its' not just the extra pick that they'll have to give up...but also the much larger contract that they'll have to pay for an unproven player. Because of the make-up of this draft class, I don't see the Pats doing this.

But, if theres' a player who they really want, they might be willing to give up a late 2nd rounder to move up 3-5 spots to get him.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]     Their 23rd plus, say, their 34th, should place the Pats in a position to move up to, say, 9-12 spots. But, that won't get them Orakpo, Crabtree, Curry, Smith, or Monroe. So, is it worth it? Its' not just the extra pick that they'll have to give up...but also the much larger contract that they'll have to pay for an unproven player. Because of the make-up of this draft class, I don't see the Pats doing this.      But, if theres' a player who they really want, they might be willing to give up a late 2nd rounder to move up 3-5 spots to get him.  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Tex, the only player I can see that might be worth the Pats moving up for would be Pettigrew.  He's an awesome TE with receiving and blocking skills, and we shouldn't forget how much value BB places in TE's.  How far they would need to move up? Maybe 12 or 13th, but to be honest I have no clue.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I think it would be a waste of draft picks,and the extra money for a te.the pats just signed chris baker,and he isnt shabby.watson is great when brady is playing.I could see it if the pats were in dire need of a te,but if your not.why give up so much for one?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

The consensus is that the draft is deep and as the Pats don't have an obvious glaring need, and there doesn't really appear to be a "can't-miss" prospect at the top of the draft (with a non-stop motor and tremedous upside -- snicker), I don't really see the Pats moving up. Of course, I don't see anybody making hay trying to guess what Belichick will do, either. I'm of the opinion that practically everything that comes out of his mouth is smoke and mirrors. So who knows?

When I try to speculate on Belichick's strategy I can't help but think of that episode of Star Trek where Spock discombobulates Harry Mudd's uber-logical fembots by telling them, "Everything I say is a lie."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

I hope the Patriots do not go after Pettigrew, I feel like the Patriots have more glaring needs on the Defensive side of the ball.  Baker (TE) is signed for 5 years (after 2 years I believe he has a bonus, which might result in him being released) 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

In the unlikely event that Andre Smith or Michael Oher are still there at 15, we should offer Houston #23 and #58.

Both of them might have been top 10 picks last year, but they stayed in school. Their games are being over-analyzed and over criticized, and either one would splendidly protect Brady for the remainer of his (hopefully long) career.

We have a legendary, and now fragile quarterback, and must not be stingy in protecting him, or we'll regret it forever. As good as Mayo is, who knows if Brady would have been hurt if we had drafted Clady (zero sacks allowed) instead, and moved Light to right tackle.

Houston just might do it because they want a linebacker like Mathews or Cushing, one or both of whom will be there at #23, at lower cost to HOU.

Unfortunately, several other teams will be competing to trade up for the last of the big 4 OTs, so it might take more to move up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

IMO they will either draft in their present position or they will trade out not up! I just don't see a player that at #23 is worth the pick of course if the Draft falls in their favor then it's a whole different ballgame.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

there is no reason to move up. the pats will get a player fairly equal at 23 to wherever they move up to. The only player worth going up to get is Curry and that move would have been done as part of the Cassel trade. We are either staying at 23 or moving back and/or out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I agree with the Pats not moving up on the board.  But I had to throw this out there because with so many picks in the 2nd rd, we Pats fans have to assume that they won't use them all, either they will trade one for next season or move up.  Either way I'm fine, but we won't know nothing until draft day.  It should be very exciting.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rxmsg. Show rxmsg's posts

I actually hope the Pat's trade down from 23 and acquire say another 2nd or 3rd
    this year and 1st or 2nd next year... or some similar scenerio

In today's NFL market value is not found in the 1st round.  I think the Pats would prefer to to stock up on 2nd & 3rd round picks in lieu of 1st round picks.

However I'm sure there are a lot of teams who feel the same way so "getting rid"
    of 1st round picks is difficult.

The basic financial structure needs to change.  It's insane to pay 30 million to a 1st round pick who has not played a down.  The drop off in compensation is so
    large after the 1st round that 1st round picks have become very bad values.

There needs to be rookie "maximum" salaries....yeah the NFLPA will go for that !!!
    But it needs to be done....vets who have proved themselves and deserve compensation many times do not or are released.  I say make a lot of the rookie money available to proven vets.

Just my two cents and hoping the Pats "get rid" of #23

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I think the pats might trade #23, their 3rd, 6th and 7th to New Orleans for #14 and take Maualuga.  I know the value isnt correct, but the Saints want more picks this year than they have

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Why spend to move up when there will be plenty of value at 23?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Tex, the only player I can see that might be worth the Pats moving up for would be Pettigrew.  He's an awesome TE with receiving and blocking skills, and we shouldn't forget how much value BB places in TE's.  How far they would need to move up? Maybe 12 or 13th, but to be honest I have no clue.
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

Pettigrew has had off the field problems. He was arrested for assaulting a police officer...after being involved in a brawl. He was also drunk at the time. Recently, he pled guilty to a reduced charge of misdemeanor assault.

No, thanks. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from No1BadGuy. Show No1BadGuy's posts

I'm with RXMSG and all for trading back from #23.

I think that some of the players that are a fit for our team will still be there @ #34 (English, Mathews, Unger etc).

I also think that next year Brandon Spikes is the LB the team should begin to target..

I like what Philly did last year, their 1 (Pick #19 to Carolina) for a 2nd, 4th a 1st this year. You know Dallas hates being out of the 1st round so if they were to offer their 2nd & 4th this year & next years 1st I'd make that trade..

Also every team from #25 to #33 could use a wide receiver and the talk is how deep this years draft is for wr's so maybe teams #28 thru #33 are looking to move up as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]     Pettigrew has had off the field problems. He was arrested for assaulting a police officer...after being involved in a brawl. He was also drunk at the time. Recently, he pled guilty to a reduced charge of misdemeanor assault.      No, thanks. 

Pettigrew's role on the team would be the same as Baker's. The Pats don't need to invest in two tight ends, major relative money, for the same role. He'd be a waste of the Pats cap and roster space. Right now, drafting Shawn Nelson instead of Pettigrew would be the better move for the team. Of course, drafting a half dozen other positions would be better than drafting a tight end.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Pettigrew's role on the team would be the same as Baker's. The Pats don't need to invest in two tight ends, major relative money, for the same role. He'd be a waste of the Pats cap and roster space. Right now, drafting Shawn Nelson instead of Pettigrew would be the better move for the team. Of course, drafting a half dozen other positions would be better than drafting a tight end.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

Drafting a TE is more important than you seem to realize. The present draft class of TEs is a good one. Both the disappointing incumbents, Ben Watson and David Thomas, are free agents at the end of the year. Both need to go in 2010. 

I like Nelson, too. The Pats might be able to get him at #47.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If BJ Raji would fall then I could see us moving up, but I don't think it will happen with the glut of teams converting to the 3/4 defense.  He would provide us with leverage with Vince Wilfork's negotiations and is a can't miss prospect.  A true nose guard is a premium contract player in this new NFL.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Drafting TE is great ... in the third round or later. Nelson isn't going to replace Watson in the rotation this year and is a replacement, not a complement to him. Ingram, Beckum, Cook, Coffman, and Casey, one of them will be available at our third round selections. They're better complements to Watson and Baker at this point. We don't need a blocker so Pettigrew, Quinn, and Hill aren't on the board. TE overall isn't a huge need for the Pats or other teams in this draft. The ones the Pats should target will drop to the end of the third round. Like OLB, the Pats wait to the right part of the draft to make their pick, OLB at 47 and TE at 89, 97, or 124 (S at 89 or 97).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

[QUOTE]Pettigrew's role on the team would be the same as Baker's. The Pats don't need to invest in two tight ends, major relative money, for the same role. He'd be a waste of the Pats cap and roster space. Right now, drafting Shawn Nelson instead of Pettigrew would be the better move for the team. Of course, drafting a half dozen other positions would be better than drafting a tight end.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]  Kyle, I agree with your accessment. Futuremore I do not see the Pats trading away any of their picks. There are a lot of positions they need to addresss. Consider the possibility of a punter or long snapper in the later rounds. Also there is the possibility that Rodney Harrison either will not or can not continue not to mention two out of three of the starting DL are in the last year of their contracts. The OL is also in need of younger players and this is a deep draft of good not exactly great players in most positions. Stock up make other players eager to stay with a winner and create some competition for rooster spots. I'm certain BB is way ahead of me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Sonie, The Pats have 11 picks and there is no chance all of them make the roster. I expect the Pats to make 8-9 picks.  While I would like them to use all their 2nd rounders, I expect BB to trade one.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

No1badguy,
    Great idea trading w/ Dallas.  These Clowns will think that #23 will take 'em to the super bowl, and BOOM, they end up not making the playoffs, and giving the Pats a great pick next year.  Anyways, a mock draft using the trade you proposed.

#34 Connor Barwin
    #47 Max Unger
    #51 Patrick Chung
    #58 Jarron Gilbert
    #89 Gerald Cadogan
    #97 Jasper Brinkley
    #120 (Via Dallas) Austin Collie
    #124 Coye Francies
    #170 Stephen McGee
    #199 Kevin Huber
    #207 Devin Moore
    #234 Ryan Mouton 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]      Drafting a TE is more important than you seem to realize. The present draft class of TEs is a good one. Both the disappointing incumbents, Ben Watson and David Thomas, are free agents at the end of the year. Both need to go in 2010.       I like Nelson, too. The Pats might be able to get him at #47.

Your absolutely right Tex!  People seemed to forget how important Ben Coates was for Bledsoe, and how much he contributed to his success.  If Brady had a Ben Coates the Pats would easily have 5 superbowl rings.  AFC champ game against Indy and the last superbowl for the Pats against the Giants.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Drafting TE is great ... in the third round or later. Nelson isn't going to replace Watson in the rotation this year and is a replacement, not a complement to him. Ingram, Beckum, Cook, Coffman, and Casey, one of them will be available at our third round selections. They're better complements to Watson and Baker at this point. We don't need a blocker so Pettigrew, Quinn, and Hill aren't on the board. TE overall isn't a huge need for the Pats or other teams in this draft. The ones the Pats should target will drop to the end of the third round. Like OLB, the Pats wait to the right part of the draft to make their pick, OLB at 47 and TE at 89, 97, or 124 (S at 89 or 97).
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

Kyle:

Yes...Nelson is a potential replacement to Watson. But, if the Pats don't take a TE this year, they'll have to take one next year...because Watson will be a FA in 2010, and will not likely be resigned. The Pats own several high picks this year...not next year. We don't know if next years' TE crop will be better than this years' group. So...this year would seem to be the time to strike.

Its' highly unlikely that Nelson will last til round three. He is supposedly the third highest rated TE. The Bills, Falcons, Giants, and Eagles are all in the market for a top receiving TE. So, if they want Nelson, the Pats had better take him with the 47th or 58th (if hes' still around) pick in round 2. 

All those other TEs you mentioned are projects. Casey appears to be the second coming of Garrett Mills. Beckham and Cook reportedly can't block their  way out of a paper bag. Ingram has had injury problems throughout his colliegiate career...and Coffman has a history of foot injuries (hello David Thomas).  

Nelson appears to be the real deal.  

Sections
Shortcuts