Should we ask brady to restructure his deal for bigger Salary Cap?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

Should we ask brady to restructure his deal for bigger Salary Cap?

IS Tom Brady Deal worth restructuring This year or next year

Details
    – $16M Signing Bonus ($10M is deferred until Aug. 2011, Brady’s own form of lockout insurance.
    – $7.5M 2010 (Y1) salary ($4M advanced from new deal. This is in addition to the $3M old bonus already earned, which makes a total of $10.5M).).
    – $5.75M 2011 (Y2) - P5 Salary 5.75M for Injury + Salary Cap with $2.3M for Skill AND 5th Day
    – 2011 League Year, all becomes guaranteed for Skill, Injury + Salary Cap
    – $5.75M 2012 (Y3) P5 Salary 5.75M guarantted for injury + Salary Cap AND Last 2011 Regular Season Game, all becomes guaranteed for Skill, Injury +Salary Cap.
    – $9.75M 2013 (Y4) P5 Salary Injury + Salary Cap AND 5th Day 2013 League Year, all becomes guaranteed for Skill, Injury + Salary Cap
    – $9.75M 2014 (Y5) P5 Salary Injury + Salary Cap AND Last 2013 Regular Season Game, all becomes guaranteed for Skill, Injury +Salary Cap.

2013 and 2014 escaltors are pretty high 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Should we ask brady to restructure his deal for bigger Salary Cap?

Why?

Doesn't look like they will be using the extra cap space right now. Additionally they still have players they can release/restructure to add cap room if need be. Namely:

Ocho - 1.5mil saved this year if released before June 1st 3mil saved this year if released after June 1st. Also a good canidate for restructure that could save up to 2.5mil against this years cap

Light - If retires or is released saves 5mil against the cap. If restructures could save up to 4.5mil

Brace - No restructure available could save .75mil if released

Arrington - 2mil if traded or 1.25mil if released (I doubt release but trade might be an option to a CB needy team with no cap room, ala Dal)

Barrett - 1mil saved if released

We have plenty of wiggle room honestly without having to touch Brady's contract. Why PO your HoF QB if you don't need to?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

2013 and 2014 have high escalators
    and i suspect welker deal might go down
    they will need some cap ,
    light and waters might be back
    havent seen ocho cut yet ,
    his money could be converted to bounses better to front load this year
    in any case of injury (Hope we dont go the peyton way)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Should we ask brady to restructure his deal for bigger Salary Cap?:
    [QUOTE]2013 and 2014 have high escalators and i suspect welker deal might go down they will need some cap , light and waters might be back havent seen ocho cut yet , his money could be converted to bounses better to front load this year in any case of injury (Hope we dont go the peyton way)
    Posted by yakv[/QUOTE]

2014 the cap is suppose to increase by 20-30mil so I don't think his 14' salary is a big deal.

For 2013 that 4mil escalator isn't a big deal either. You have Light's contract off the books next year. If you release Ocho before June 1st his entire 4.5mil is off the books next year. If you release him after June 1st then 3mil comes off the books. Unless you desperately need the cap space (and looking at our FA's next year we won't) why ask players to restructure? Typically the only reasons to ask players to restructure is because you are desperate for cap space or they aren't performing up to the contract. Both cases don't hold true for the Pats, so I wouldn't worry about a minor escalation

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

The last few years the cap has stayed the sameand i suspect
    The Nfl To keep it the same ,
    this year no increase at all was supposed to be 126M
    not sure it will happen

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

This year it is important that Light restructure and Welker sign for 3 years with a couple million less than the 9.5 counting on the cap so we can keep Anderson, BEnny (or get a RB like Bush) and possibly even a vet CB (Porter is still out there).

Brady should only be asked to restructure before next season if:

A. He indicates he wants 2 more years (he says he wants to play till age 40)

B. There is a big-name FA that we want and Tom is on board with knowing he needs to reduce his 9.75 cap hits in '13/'14 to get him (weak FA class tho)

Considering his wife makes more than he does and Mallett will hopefully be tearing it up in practice (like a Tom/Drew '01 situation) maybe Brady will be fine with a deal that means he spends his entire career in NE (and allows the team to trade Mallet for a high pick) over being traded by us before 2014 (seriously not out of the realm of possibilities).

I don't think he'd want to end his career the way his idol Montana did in KC, unless of course its to San Fran, his fav team growing up near his family and in Cali where Gislele prob spends a ton of time... and they 9ers are likelt to remain super bowl contenders for several years. In 2014 Tom will be the age Peyton is now and SF wanted him BAD.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In rd 3-4, maybe draft 2 WR's Mallett would be great with in the future, like old teammates Joe Adams, Greg Childs and Jarius Wright, or 2nd rd talent Broyles who will drop to rd 4.

Then roll with Tom these next 2 years with guys like Welker, Llloyd, Branch and Stallworth still around, then trade TB to SF for multiple 1st/2nd rd draft picks, go with Mallett and use the TONS of cap space and picks to keep the TE's and add to the defense that will have lots of players in there primes already.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

The greatest QB ever, already playing for below market value. Why would we insult him by asking this?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

In Response to Re: Should we ask brady to restructure his deal for bigger Salary Cap?:
    [QUOTE]The last few years the cap has stayed the sameand i suspect The Nfl To keep it the same , this year no increase at all was supposed to be 126M not sure it will happen
    Posted by yakv[/QUOTE]

The NFL gets the new TV deal money (Billions to devide with teams) in 2014 and the cap is supose to go up A LOT! So I agree restructure with Brady doesn't make sense not to mention Brady likely has one last deal with the Patriots coming between 2013 and 2014 which will alter the 2014 number. He'll be 37 in 2014 and wants to play till he is 40 and I think he will get the deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

Yep Keep The Bashing Going
    knew it would happen
    give the credit when needed

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2012/03/patriots-free-up-72m-in-cap-space-by.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Lol, I Just saw this for the very first time on some page back there, and was ready to bump it for you, yakv.  Boy...due the randomness of the issue of 1 non-underperforming player's contract, barely ever expressed vs. other competing topics=What a seriously crazy call, man!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Well when you are right you are right Yakv. It still doesn't make much sense as to why though, unless there is something bigger coming down the tracks we just haven't seen yet. By my count, even with all the FA's signed we should be under the cap with enough space to sign the rooks and Welkers tag. Given there really aren't a number of top end FA's left what could the space be used for? I can't imagine Welker 's cap hit increasing over the tag amount if the resign him, so don't think they need all that extra space for that. Maybe a trade or a RFA they are trying to acquire?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

With BJGE Signing a multi year deal with the bengals
    and The Quite Slow FA Market for running back 
    there is A Chance to Get Michael for 1 year prove it contract
    or a multi year deal around Worth 3M a year ,
    AS Much AS BB Likes Ridley And vereen a Veteran RB is A must

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I believe the new TV contract money kicks in for the 2014 season.  So I wouldn't be surprised if he restructures one more time as needed next year.  The cap should increase in 2014 giving them the room they need to operate.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]Well when you are right you are right Yakv. It still doesn't make much sense as to why though, unless there is something bigger coming down the tracks we just haven't seen yet. By my count, even with all the FA's signed we should be under the cap with enough space to sign the rooks and Welkers tag. Given there really aren't a number of top end FA's left what could the space be used for? I can't imagine Welker 's cap hit increasing over the tag amount if the resign him, so don't think they need all that extra space for that. Maybe a trade or a RFA they are trying to acquire?
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]
    They don't spend right up to the cap; the team always goes into the season with ~5 million in free cap space.  They need it for emergency signings/flexibility for trades.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should we ask brady to restructure his deal for bigger Salary Cap? : They don't spend right up to the cap; the team always goes into the season with ~5 million in free cap space.  They need it for emergency signings/flexibility for trades.
    Posted by MattC05[/QUOTE]

This is true, but usually after the rooks sign we are fairly close to the cap going into preseason. That 5mil extra usually comes towards the end of preseason when BB usually cuts down or restructures for more room. That's why it's a bit weird for Brady this early into the process. The times Brady was asked to restructure either came right before a big trade/signing (all Moss and AD) or towards the back end of preseason to extend players or give them some flexibility within the season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]Yep Keep The Bashing Going knew it would happen give the credit when needed http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2012/03/patriots-free-up-72m-in-cap-space-by.html
    Posted by yakv[/QUOTE]

I'm tipping my Cap to ya! Not sure why Brady did it but you nailed it hours before it happend.

Make room for Welker?
    Make room to re-structure Gronk?

They did not need the CAP space now so somebody(s) going to get a rather large check soon. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

good timing yakv