SHOULD WE KICK THE TIRES ON BOB SANDERS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

SHOULD WE KICK THE TIRES ON BOB SANDERS?

can't help seeing that this guy is now free out there. been hurt a lot but is only 30! most of his injuries have been kind of flukish. meaning the possibility of playing a full season again is still highly likely.. why not take a flier on him, see what his perimeters are. start off with him as your 4th safety type of guy... have him play that rodney harrison/brendan mcgowan safety-linebacker type role.. if he progresses thru camp and proves that he still has it after the first 2 or 3 games, you can steadily look to increase his role.... he may want such a one-year deal so he can come back for the big money if he indeed produces and can stay healthy! BB would offfer him the ideal conditions... enough depth so he is not rushed or has to play too many snaps!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Re: SHOULD WE KICK THE TIRES ON BOB SANDERS?

I say yes but if you kick too hard he'll end up on IR

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: SHOULD WE KICK THE TIRES ON BOB SANDERS?:
    [QUOTE]I say yes but if you kick too hard he'll end up on IR
    Posted by tenacioust[/QUOTE]LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

Isnt he NOT going to fit in our system?? He looks good in that Tampa 2 type D right?? Just asking.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

no, guy gets injured to easy

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Simple,it all depends on what kind of money he's seeking.Big bucks,no way,reasonable money,you kick the tires and bring him in for an interview and thorough physical.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

look, sanders is a football player.. i will adjust my system to fit him in.. period!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

9 games in 3 years!!! I don't need to say more. Leave him to the teams that have fairweather fans. He's a big name to get people in the seats, judging by past history he'd be there with them too

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

With the shortage of safeties in the league he'll end up some where with the money he wants.  There will be more than one team interested in him.  Houston and Dallas need safties bad.

Sanders intrigued me as well but you don't change you defensive system to fit one player especially if he's only going to be there for 9 games in 3 seasons.  Besides, I think he could adapt anyway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMichalski12. Show JMichalski12's posts

ABSOLUTELY!!! IN ALL SERIOUSNESS I WOULD TRADE MERRIWEATHER AND BRING SANDERS IN ON AN INCENTIVE LADEN 1 YEAR DEAL. I BELEIVE WE STILL HAVE MCGOWAN, THEN THERE IS SANDERS AND CHUNG AND WE COULD DRAFT ANOTHER SAFETY LATE...THE GUY IS A GAME CHANGER WHEN HEALTHY AND HIS INJURIES WERE MOSTLY UPPER BODY.YEA HE HAS PLAYED 9 GANES IN 3 YEARS TO ME THATS JUST 3 YEARS LESS WEAR AND TEAR ON HIS BODY. AGAIN ONLY IF IT IS AN INCENTIVE LADEN DEAL.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Overall I say no.  If he signed an insane deal to just be with us, then ok.  He is a game changer when healthy, but he is never healthy anymore. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"kick tires" implies he is willing to play for cheap. What makes you think he is willing to take that kind of contract? A more interesting question is: would you pay significant money to sign Sanders versus other teams that want to sign him? In that case the answer is no, we don't need to be giving big contracts to injury-prone players. Since I have no reason to believe Sanders will sign for cheap, I'm gonna say no because your whole premise is wrong. But yeah, if for some reason he'll sign up for cheap, then he's welcome. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I'd rather look at Atogwa

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

But here's the deal, I assume that every team would like to "kick the tires" on a 2007 DPOY that has only played 9 games since winning the award.  While his joints may be weak, one has to assume the rest of his body is fresh.  He's barely played any football. 

Now that said, I am sure the colts offered Sanders exactly the kind of incentive laden deal that everyone else thinks he should get.  To actually sign sanders, I believe it is going to take a little money.  Incentive laden, yes, but he's going to expect some guaranteed money.  The highest bidder wins unless the deal is not too far off of Indy's offer.

imo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Tying up a loose end on the Jarrod Page deal, while pondering Bob Sanders

----Patriots beat reporter Ian R. Rapoport

All along, we didn’t believe the Patriots had surrendered a significant pick in order bring safety Jarrod Page to New England in September. Turns out they didn’t.

The Kansas City Star reported on Friday the “future draft considerations” that were named at the time of the deal, is a 7th-rounder from next year’s 2012 draft.

Page, an unrestricted free agent who has expressed an interest in returning to New England, played in 10 games. He had two interceptions with 13 tackles. He also contributed on special teams.

The question is, would you like the Pats to bring him back, or instead go for the newly released Bob Sanders, who was cut loose from Indianapolis?

Sanders, a one-time Defensive Player of the Year, is certainly an intriguing prospect, even with his injury history. When he’s healthy, he’s a difference-maker in the secondary.

He’s the type of impact player the Pats haven’t had at safety since Rodney Harrison was in town. It’s just tough to count on a guy who’s only played in nine games the past three years. It may be still worth it for the Pats to kick the tires on the hard-hitting safety, who could also serve as a mentor to Patrick Chung, and perhaps, even Brandon Meriweather.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

no. We have Meriweather and Chung. Chung is still developing and he showed tons of promise in his second year. Meriweather knows the defense/is durable. We have capable backups in Sanders/McGowan/Page and Brown. We are stacked at the position.

Not to mention Sanders is made of glass and might not fit the scheme coming out of a Tampa Two.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

I would rather keep Page but if we let him walk absolutely. A change of scenery may do him good. He can mentor Chung and Merriwhether too ala Rodney.......I say do it........Plus we get to stick it to Bill Polian .......which would make it better if he actually contributes and we go far in the post season............

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Bob Sanders' career stats:

2007 AP Defensive Player of the Year.
    Can he stay healthy?
    Can the Pats afford a mentor?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Is he any good in pass coverage?  If we bring in a safety, I think we want a guy who helps in the passing game.  I think of Sanders more as a guy who is excellent in run support but only average in pass coverage.  I could be wrong--I don't watch the Colts regularly--but that's my impression. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

a safety rotation of chung, merriweather and sanders would be devastating and intimidating. who would want to go in the middle with that trio lurking... sanders is perfect 4th string just-in-case guy to keep on special teams. he's solid but not getting any better and he's no bob sanders even in his dreams...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I doubt they'd sign a guy like that for "situational" play. He seems to be too fragile to play every down, plus he's a Tampa 2 style player. I think they are OK in the secondary, they need help for the front seven...mainly somebody who can pressure a QB. And for those who think signing him would hurt the Colts, why? They released him, so I guess they don't think he's worth keeping around. Only twice has he played more than half a season, too. I'm afraid if you kick his tires too hard not only will they go flat, but the transmission may fall out onto the ground!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

LOL Bub!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

Sign Sanders, put him on the PUP list and have him available sometime after Week 6 (Week 9?) then let him play his heart out for the rest of the season and playoffs.  Could be a difference maker in a shortened season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

No