SI Matchup Article on Patriots versus Giants

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

SI Matchup Article on Patriots versus Giants

http://nfl.si.com/2012/01/27/break-it-down-super-bowl-matchups-bill-obrien-vs-perry-fewell/?sct=nfl_wr_a2

I wonder if we might see Grownkowski line up in the backfield more often this Sunday using him as an outlet receiver and blocker to limit his down field running. According to this article 0- the Patriots had some success with this last game.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

Re: SI Matchup Article on Patriots versus Giants

I think that all this speculation about Gronk is just what BB wants.  It makes the Giants cosider more game plans and less time of what is needed.

I don't think you will detect any difference in him come game time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

In Response to Re: SI Matchup Article on Patriots versus Giants:
    [QUOTE]I think that all this speculation about Gronk is just what BB wants.  It makes the Giants cosider more game plans and less time of what is needed. I don't think you will detect any difference in him come game time.
    Posted by sheldong[/QUOTE]

I agree, Gronk's status must be giving the Giant's coaching staff fits.  They need to prepare if he plays and if he plays, how much, how hard and how ready will he be?  They must wonder if the whole business is a snow job or not.  They also need to prepare for the scenario where he doesn't play.  What do they prepare for, what will BB do?  No way they can know out of the box.  Must be tough.  Don't care.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

We did it against the Broncos as well. 

Gronk is going to be fine. Its not like the guy is Aaron Hernandez and is cutting all the time. Rob runs mostly what here? Posts, 5-15 (sometimes longer) In cuts and go routes. With the way his ankle is going to be cared for during the game he will be fine. Its not going to hinder his play so the Giants better not be focusing on it too much because Aaron will be dropping numbers on their head if they focus too much on him.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

[QUOTE]Also, if you look closer at these photos, you can see that NY is never really every really concerned with NE's run game. They're whole focus is how to defend Welker, Gronk and Hernandez. Can't say it enough. Hammer the rock.
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

Honestly - I dont see NE running much this game. I am not sure Ridley even plays which would leave BJG as the main option with Woodhead on delays and draws out of the shot gun. Unless the Giants drop their LB's and safties back into coverage consistently, I think the Pats wil have a tough time running against this defense. I hope I am wrong.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I think how much they run will depend on Vollmer's status. If he is able to play and they can then line Solder up as a blocking TE, I could see them pounding it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

[QUOTE]I hope you are dead wrong, actually. If they don't establish a run, use BJGE as a lead back, the risk for losing goes way up.
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

Below are Mangeni's comments regarding his take on the Patriots Running game

"A lot of teams will play with two deep safeties for an extra layer of defense. The Giants will go more with an extra man down in the box, will hit Gronkowski, will keep it all cloudy between the hashes, where New England’s tight ends and [slot man] Wes Welker typically make plays. They’ll say, ’OK, can you beat us outside? And can you do it before our defensive line can get to you?’"

With the extra man in the box, Mangini does not think the Patriots [team stats]’ running game will be much of a factor. He does believe it will be a real factor with the Giants.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20120130eric_mangini_makes_sense_of_giants_vs_patriots/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: SI Matchup Article on Patriots versus Giants": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: SI Matchup Article on Patriots versus Giants : Below are Mangeni's comments regarding his take on the Patriots Running game "A lot of teams will play with two deep safeties for an extra layer of defense. The Giants will go more with an extra man down in the box, will hit Gronkowski, will keep it all cloudy between the hashes, where New England’s tight ends and [slot man] Wes Welker typically make plays. They’ll say, ’OK, can you beat us outside? And can you do it before our defensive line can get to you?’" With the extra man in the box, Mangini does not think the Patriots [team stats]’ running game will be much of a factor. He does believe it will be a real factor with the Giants. http://bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20120130eric_mangini_makes_sense_of_giants_vs_patriots/ Posted by stewart7557[/QUOTE] Typical analysis from Mangini. The Patriots are always in trouble and always at a disadvantage with him. I've learned to ignore him, and/or divide everything he says by at least two or three to arrive at the truth when he does any analysis of New England.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I loved the short swing pass to Gronk for a TD (against Miami IIRC) and hope they set him up back their again.

They've done some things, but really haven't pulled all the possible rabbits out of that hat. 

Another great one would be a flea-flicker from Brady to Hern to Brady to whoever. I would call that play early in the first half or second half to catch them napping. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]I think that all this speculation about Gronk is just what BB wants.  It makes the Giants cosider more game plans and less time of what is needed. I don't think you will detect any difference in him come game time.
    Posted by sheldong[/QUOTE]

Agreed

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

im so happy that nitwit from SI is picking the giants to win

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Gronk no need leg to run!!!!!!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

all this media blow up of the gronk injury will make it just that much sweeter if he goes out and plays like the gronk we are used to seeing....this much i know already, just from painkillers alone, he wont be able to feel pain for the first half of the game....so look for alot of gronk early in the game and maybe more decoy in the 2nd half

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

yea i understand your take, but the way i view it is that if he can get going in the 1st half and get some big catches, it may not matter if hes not 100% in the 2nd half because he will get so much coverage that it will leave everyone else open...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

they definitely need to establish the running game, the best way to attack the giants d-line is to run right at/through them....and branch is about as clutch as it gets in super bowls, wouldnt be surprised at all to see the gameplan involving him alot....with all the attention the two tight ends and welker get, sure seems like branch doesnt even play anymore....hopefully the giants leave deion open because he can burn them down the field

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

The Giants can absolutely be run on. The talking heads also said we couldn't run it on the Buzzards, and I remember BJGE carving them up pretty well on 1-2+ drives.

On Gronk...I think teh Giants have to gameplan like he is full strength. They can't guess he'll be 50% or whatever. You plan for the worst and then adjust accordingly.

The Giants like to sub on their Dline. The hurry up will be critical in this game to tire out the Giants Dline. I think the Pats can control the tempo here which will be a big plus.

What concerns me is the Giants passing game vs. our pass defense. I for one do not want to see Ihedigbo on the field, nor too much of Edelman. Putting Edelman on Cruz or Manningham will be a death sentence. I would have liked BB trying Edelman out at safety, move McCourty back to CB on Nicks, and then cover Cruz with Moore, Manningham with Arrington/Molden when playing man.
    Why hasn't BB played Edelman at safety? Has he tried it and it didn't work out?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Everyone loves Gronk, but most everyone is ignoring the opinions of Doctors with expertise in sports injuries.
    I've read every opinion I can find.

I can not find a single Doctor who feels that Gronk can be anywhere near as effective with this type of injury.  This is not "rolling your ankle", as some have on the forum have suggested.  I expect BB is not ignoring the expertise of these Doctors. 

Walking in a straight line with a boot is not the same thing as planting and cutting on a FB field.  And the 4th Qtr return he made would have been before any significant swelling had occurred.

I want Gronk on the field as much as the next guy, but I have more realistic expectations.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

even 80% gronk is still better than most tight ends in the league, so its not like he would be useless anyway..

Sections
Shortcuts