SI.com: "Mangini: Worst coaching hire ever?"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mongoose. Show Mongoose's posts

SI.com: "Mangini: Worst coaching hire ever?"

Sorry if this was already posted.  Thought people would like to read this . . .

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/joe_posnanski/09/29/mangini/index.html?bcnn=yes

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Re: SI.com: "Mangini: Worst coaching hire ever?"

He was a bad hire when the Jets stole him away and he was a bad hire when teh Browns jumped in line like he was a comodity. He is a bad head coach. Maybe in 10 years after some much needed time as a staff member some where he can come back and do the job but hiring him at what age 34 or whatever it was was a dumb idea. He had one season as a DC before he became a head coach these peopel just jumped teh gun. He was never ready to be a head coach.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from earlWilson. Show earlWilson's posts

In Response to Re: SI.com: "Mangini: Worst coaching hire ever?":
    He was a bad hire when the Jets stole him away and he was a bad hire when teh Browns jumped in line like he was a comodity. He is a bad head coach. Maybe in 10 years after some much needed time as a staff member some where he can come back and do the job but hiring him at what age 34 or whatever it was was a dumb idea. He had one season as a DC before he became a head coach these peopel just jumped teh gun. He was never ready to be a head coach.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

IMAGINE, that here we all are, not making a plum nickel on pro football except in some bets we win, and almost all of us are quite smart enough to have NOT hired mangini, or to even have considered hiring him, and then you have the ownership of one of the NFL most storied franchises, Cleveland, dishing out big bucks to hire a former  goofer and tool of belichicks. something about that seems to be a bit off imo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

Most over rated head coaching prospect EVER!! He hit the jackpot by being here, when the Pats D was at it's most talented, ferocious and hungry, it had little to do with him. Soon Denver will learn the same about Josh on the offensive side...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Teams are taking flyers on Belichick disciples in the hope that some of the magic will wear off. So far it hasn't (although Notre Dame will probably ride that easy schedule to a BCS Bowl this year). Mangini is beyond horrible and I'd be very surprised if McDaniels has anything more than marginal success in Denver. What sets Belichick apart is his ability to identify coaches strengths and weaknesses and to put them in positions to be successful within a unit. This is what people mean when they use the phrase "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts." It is also why the Pats appear able to plug anyone in anywhere and continue to have success.

But having said all that, coaching (in all sports) is pretty much a closed society, which is why guys who are so clearly in over their heads -- like Norv Turner and Wade Phillips -- continue to work, while perfectly viable staff guys you've never heard of (and likely never will) labor in obscurity.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

I'm glad it appears that Mangini is flopping and I hope he does turn out to be the worst coach ever but this article is just another poor excuse for another overstuffed sportswriter to parade his hypocrisy.

He says..."It seems to me that Cleveland is a working-class town and Browns fans want a working-class coach -- not some pompous know-it-all who doesn't feel like he should have to explain to the commoners what he's doing."

Of course, much of the remainder of the article is devoted to the typical sportswriter contempt and ridicule of fans and he must waste his valuable time explaining the meaning of life to the "commoners".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Not posting in defense on Mangini whatsoever, but let's not forget that our own boy, BB, did a stint in Cleveland without much success also.  Sometimes it has more to do with an organization as a whole that just the head coach.  Case in point, look at the Redskins, possibly the worst owner in football has ruined a pretty good franchise.  Also, let's recall how the Pats were before Kraft purchased the team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

Not posting in defense on Mangini whatsoever, but let's not forget that our own boy, BB, did a stint in Cleveland without much success also.  Sometimes it has more to do with an organization as a whole that just the head coach.  Case in point, look at the Redskins, possibly the worst owner in football has ruined a pretty good franchise.  Also, let's recall how the Pats were before Kraft purchased the team.
    Posted by southernpat
    You are correct success always starts at the top and works it way down. Kraft is a Krafty guy he went out and obtained one of the best football minds in the business and authorized him the authority to make whatever changes necessary to produce a winner and thats what he's done. Wherever an owner gets personally involved (with football decisions) chances are the team will fail, same as any other business.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to SI.com: "Mangini: Worst coaching hire ever?":
    Sorry if this was already posted.  Thought people would like to read this . . . http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/joe_posnanski/09/29/mangini/index.html?bcnn=yes
    Posted by Mongoose

I was shocked when Mangini was hired immediately by Cleveland after last year's melt down. There were so many good coaches available.

Once the Jets rushed to hire Rich Kotite after he had just lost his last 7 games in Philadelphia. They couldn't wait to sign him! Kotite went 1-15. That made him 1-22 to close his coaching career. I told people that Mangini was the new Rich Kotite. He truly stinks, and was a big help to us last year. Now that he is gone, the Jets are so much better.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

In Response to SI.com: "Mangini: Worst coaching hire ever?":
    Sorry if this was already posted.  Thought people would like to read this . . . http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/joe_posnanski/09/29/mangini/index.html?bcnn=yes
    Posted by Mongoose

Tom Coughlin had his issues with Jax when he first started, but he also was older and far more experience.  Mangini was on his way with the Jets 10-6 in his first year, but I think they quit on him.  Cleveland lacks talent right now and maybe the $1,701 and the forced bus ride made them quit as well.  You gotta give the guy some time. 

Let me put it this way.  With all the "stuff" Josh McDaniel experienced, caused, whatever, in his short tenure in Denver, would the pundits be saying the same thing about him if he were 0-3 instead of 3-0?  I don't think they are a legitimate 3-0 team, but the spotlight certainly isn't on him is it?  Celeveland goes 0-3 and now he's the worst coach in the history of the NFL.  Do some research, he's far from it.  We had a couple bums here if I recall.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

To try and throw McDanials in with Mangini is bull $h*t. First off you have not even given Josh a chance to prove himself before you just ASSUME he cant be a good head coach. But if he was to win the super bowl next year or something you would be sitting right here talking about how he learned everything he knows from Belichick and blah blah blah. Mangini is a bad head coach cause he has shown us all he is not good at his job Josh on the other hand is 3-0 with a BAD football team right now which just shows that he is doing a good job as head coach. Its easy to win with a good team and hard to win with a bad team and he is winning with a bad team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

To try and throw McDanials in with Mangini is bull $h*t. First off you have not even given Josh a chance to prove himself before you just ASSUME he cant be a good head coach. But if he was to win the super bowl next year or something you would be sitting right here talking about how he learned everything he knows from Belichick and blah blah blah. Mangini is a bad head coach cause he has shown us all he is not good at his job Josh on the other hand is 3-0 with a BAD football team right now which just shows that he is doing a good job as head coach. Its easy to win with a good team and hard to win with a bad team and he is winning with a bad team.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

Relax.  With all due respect, perhaps I didn't clarify my point.   I was simply stating that because Mangini is 0-3,  the microsope is on him in Cleveland AND that if Denver was 0-3 the same points would be made towards McDaniels considering what went down there. 

In no way was I questioning McDaniels coaching abilities, he's a fine coach.  I was simply stating that the overzealous media would be taking potshots at him (as they are with Mangenius) if they (Denver) were 0-3. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Oh ok my bad.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Mcdaniels made a great move by bringing in Mike Nolan as his defensive co. From what I hear he is a very knowledgeable guy just not a great head coach.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

WOW- that's a pretty scathing article on Mangooni!  Personally, I was making similar statements when he was with the jets.  After all, what kind of experience to he take to new york to warrant becoming the head coach...didn't make sense?  Of course, the alienations that he manufactured were not productive.  It will be interesting to see how long the good people of Cleveland put up with him.

Perhaps, Mangooni is a progressive?  Y'know- tear it all down; start from scratch.  Of course, this strategy can often be worse than no strategy at all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

WOW- that's a pretty scathing article on Mangooni!  Personally, I was making similar statements when he was with the jets.  After all, what kind of experience to he take to new york to warrant becoming the head coach...didn't make sense?  Of course, the alienations that he manufactured were not productive.  It will be interesting to see how long the good people of Cleveland put up with him. Perhaps, Mangooni is a progressive?  Y'know- tear it all down; start from scratch.  Of course, this strategy can often be worse than no strategy at all.
    Posted by BTownExpress

Stop.  Cease.  Desist.  Refrain. Quit it.  Give us a break.  Enough already.  No more.  Don't do that.  Cork it.  Keep it to yourself.  Do you have to?  Must you?  

Seriously, I hope this is the last time some jerk drags politics on to this sports forum, especially if it is some Right Wing nut case.  

Heads up fella': You are not persuading people here toward your political inclination.  Not one bit.  Not one shred.  Not one sliver. Just the opposite.  By now in this nation and at this juncuture, I think it is safe to say people are well-entrenched in their respective ideologies. If somebody like me reads this, he is turned off that you introduced politics here.  If somebody with your mindset reads this, he/she isn't changed.  If somebody with an opposite opinon reads this, he/she will just think less of your sports opinions.  It is a no-win situation for you, so you really must stop wasting your time on it.  Besides, you have more pressing obilgations, like taking out the trash, walking the dog, picking up the kid from practice, cleaning the cat litter...anything but writing poltical commentary, however so brief and seemingly innocuous, at a sports page.

If you want to chat on politics, go to a political chat room.  This is a Patriots chat forum.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

chrisakawoody,
    I must have really missed something. What did BTownExpress say that was political? I've read his post five times now trying to "get" whatever it was that you "saw" in that post. And I don't see it.
    As far as I can tell, you're the only one who has made this a political discussion with comments like "especially if it is some Right Wing nut case."
    If you don't want politics discussed here, then why did you say that? Give me a break! Perhaps you, chrisakawoody, need to be reminded that this is a Patriots forum, and not a political one.
     (Although this was a political forum way back in July, if I remember correctly).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Indeed there was a fairly lively political discussion here in the off-season. It was surprisingly civil and actually quite interesting for the few posters who engaged it. But clearly, during the season, we don't need political agendas rearing their ill-informed heads in here. Not that I saw BT's comments about "progressives" particularly incendiary.

In any case, we should be gearing our energies in this forum and at this time toward belaboring the very obvious point that the Ravens s*ck and the Pats are going to hammer them mercilessly and without pity.

Oh . . .

that, and Green New Jersey blows.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Oh, it was the "progressive" comment that was political? I took it to mean "progressive coaching" not "progressive politics". Who knows?

The Ravens will be tough to beat. I hope Welker plays, because he'd really help the offense, especially in the "Red Zone". I think the Patriots defense will contain the Ravens' offense well enough. So I believe the real battle will be the Patriots offense vs the Ravens defense. The winner of that wins the game, IMHO.

As far as Mangini, he was too quickly given a head coaching job by the Jets. I think his stint with the Browns will be his last head caching gig in the NFL for a while. He needs to go back to being a positional coach (didn't he coach the secondary?), and work his way back up through the ranks of whatever team hires him. And he needs to spend more than one season as the defensive coordinator. Then, if he's proven himself, he can have a third chance.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

chrisakawoody, I must have really missed something. What did BTownExpress say that was political? I've read his post five times now trying to "get" whatever it was that you "saw" in that post. And I don't see it. As far as I can tell, you're the only one who has made this a political discussion with comments like "especially if it is some Right Wing nut case." If you don't want politics discussed here, then why did you say that? Give me a break! Perhaps you, chrisakawoody, need to be reminded that this is a Patriots forum, and not a political one.  (Although this was a political forum way back in July, if I remember correctly).
    Posted by Ritchie_az

Ritchie, I made it pretty clear by highlighting his comment in bold, you know, the negative part about "progressives"?  Read it one more time.  And I pointed out that it seemed innocuous, but it is still there.  And if you read some of the other threads here, there is more of this political crud.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Oh, it was the "progressive" comment that was political? I took it to mean "progressive coaching" not "progressive politics". Who knows? The Ravens will be tough to beat. I hope Welker plays, because he'd really help the offense, especially in the "Red Zone". I think the Patriots defense will contain the Ravens' offense well enough. So I believe the real battle will be the Patriots offense vs the Ravens defense. The winner of that wins the game, IMHO. As far as Mangini, he was too quickly given a head coaching job by the Jets. I think his stint with the Browns will be his last head caching gig in the NFL for a while. He needs to go back to being a positional coach (didn't he coach the secondary?), and work his way back up through the ranks of whatever team hires him. And he needs to spend more than one season as the defensive coordinator. Then, if he's proven himself, he can have a third chance.
    Posted by Ritchie_az

I agree, he became a HC much too soon.  His fault.  BB specifically told him, "You are not ready."  I wonder if BB felt the same about McDaniels and decided to keep his thought in his head that time.

Unless Mangini pulls a miracle before he is fired, I don't see him getting another HC job in this league ever again.  He brings all the attitude of a Parcells, with none of the benefits, and certainly none of the knowledge.  He stabbed his benenificent mentor in the back - twice.  If the NFL coaching circle is an exclusive club, I have to think the members want him out. I don't see any person in the NFL bending over backwards to help him get another job.  And that is the way it should be, IMO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Posted by southernpat

Good points, southernpat.

You should chime in more often!

Sections
Shortcuts