Side Ramifications of Revis signing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

Side Ramifications of Revis signing

Okay we got Revis, Great, glad to see we got a stud CB, but now the ramifications, tell me how we tell Vince, that Revis is worth 12 million, but we want you to take a pay cut.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: Side Ramifications of Revis signing

One is coming off an injury, another is a year removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to jjbag's comment:

Okay we got Revis, Great, glad to see we got a stud CB, but now the ramifications, tell me how we tell Vince, that Revis is worth 12 million, but we want you to take a pay cut.

Ahhh..you must be Irish like me...let it go...enjoy the signing for one night...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

They weren't asking him to take a pay cut just restructure the money so they had the available cap space to sign Revis this year. No ramifications because Wilfork didn't restructure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

Easy...Hey Vince you're just coming off an injury and pretty hefty...Don't get me wrong you're good and all but Revis is top 3 CB in the NFL and only 28.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I actually think Vince would mind a little less now that they helped the defense out By getting Revis.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Wilfork isn't taking a pay cut. Nor is he being asked to. He's being asked to sign an extension that will lower the 2014 salary cap figure. 

Not for nothing...if I have to choose, I want Revis on the Pats in 2014. Period. Not even a question. Revis, if 100% healthy and I think he is, is a Top 5 talent in FOOTBALL outside of QBs, who are just too inherently valuable to compare against other positions.

Right now, having never played a game for them, Revis is currently the 2nd best, and 2nd most important Pat. And he's paid accordingly, #2 on the team as it stands.

I don't see any ramifications. If anyone wants to complain about what Revis got paid...all they have to do is go out and perform at the same level, then they can talk.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Revis is taking a pay cut from 16m.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

I guess im in the minority, with Vince out, we couldnt stop a wet noodle running the ball, if we loose Vince, Revis wont matter much because teams will just run it down our throats. With that said, you folks saying they ain't asking him to take a pay cut , i disagree, a restructure is a pay cut. What if Vince takes the restructure, then proceeds to be at proball form once again, and is now stuck in a contract that makes him a second rung NT, for the final 3 years. I'm thinking thats a pay cut.. But whatever this discussion can be for another day, i'll enjoy the Revis signing..  for Today.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Really? We get the best (arguably) CB in the NFL for solid money, no long term commitment either and we can't just bask in it for an hour!!? C'mon, huge props to BB making a huge move. This is a SB caliber move. Love it. Just bask in it

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Probable Dialogue between BB and Tampa GM

135 PM

BB: Are willing to trade Revis for a 5th rounder.

GM: Ummmmm....

BB: Just kiidding. (hangs up)

555 P.M

BB Thanks.....(hangs up)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to TravisBean's comment:

In response to coolade2's comment:

What coat tails? 

You don't get to be a part of it.  You've bashed Revis for years.  Just 2 days ago, you said he sucked.  You need to leave FRAUD!

Go away and never come back.  You should be hanging your head in shame, not telling anyone else ANYTHING. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I guess im in the minority, with Vince out, we couldnt stop a wet noodle running the ball, if we loose Vince, Revis wont matter much because teams will just run it down our throats. With that said, you folks saying they ain't asking him to take a pay cut , i disagree, a restructure is a pay cut. What if Vince takes the restructure, then proceeds to be at proball form once again, and is now stuck in a contract that makes him a second rung NT, for the final 3 years. I'm thinking thats a pay cut.. But whatever this discussion can be for another day, i'll enjoy the Revis signing..  for Today.

Week 4 they lost VInce for the season.

Week 5 Tommy Kelly.

Week 6 Jerod Mayo.

All for the season.

There goes your run D.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

Pats beat Broncos to advance to the Super Bowl... How does that ramification sound?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from itllnevahapn. Show itllnevahapn's posts

Yes cause the run D made us lose to Denver. It's a passing leagu, let me run

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Did you not see Siliga stabilize the middle of the field?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

In response to Brady2Welker47's comment:

Pats beat Broncos to advance to the Super Bowl... How does that ramification sound?

I like this man's attitude! I'd take Revis for one year with the option to extend him during the season or just franchise tag him, if you need to, next year. Better than giving out a contract like Denver did for Talib.

Our defense will be fine, last year it performed very well after injury after injruy each week. Siliga did a masterful job and Collins came into his own a little in the playoffs. All the while Ryan showed some signs of being a solid CB. I think the D is shaping up bit by bit and the draft will probably bring in 2-3 rookies for defense. 

Bill struggles with building a secondary, having a shut down corner like Revis, who doesn't struggle in the secondary, is one way to build a very strong and sound secondary.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Heres a question for some .Did revis fleece the Pats?the reason I ask cause we heard for yrs he wasnt that good blah blah blah and now hes here hes a great pick up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Pats just landed arguably one of the top FAs (if not the top FA) avail this year.  Would it be ok if we simply viewed the glass as 1/2 full just for a day or two just this once?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Pats just landed arguably one of the top FAs (if not the top FA) avail this year.  Would it be ok if we simply viewed the glass as 1/2 full just for a day or two just this once?

LOL... You expect this from a fan base where half think Brady is the reason they suck and the other half think it's Belichik's fault. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

LOL... You expect this from a fan base where half think Brady is the reason they suck and the other half think it's Belichik's fault. 

A guy can ask, can't he? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

That's o.k.  This is the NFL.  Nobody runs the ball anymore.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TravisBean's comment:

Umm, I don't get the premise. Vince wouldn't be taking a cut. He'd be spreading out his 2014 money into next year with guarantees.

It can be a 1 year extension, for example that is guaranteed, but a bit lower. It will likely be a 2 year extension, IMO.

An extension and spreading out what he is due in the coming year, is not a paycut.

you have no idea what you are talking about regarding the cap, do you

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to soxrockursox's comment:

Heres a question for some .Did revis fleece the Pats?the reason I ask cause we heard for yrs he wasnt that good blah blah blah and now hes here hes a great pick up.

I think it was mostly Rusty who endlessly repeated the same nonsense about Revis not being good.  

Then, of course, over the last few days when Belichick was laying low we heard from the usual suspects (I won't name them all because it's a long list) that "flashy" free agent signings for big money were signs of a desperate team and would never lead to a championship. 

Then BB goes out and signs Revis to a big one-year deal ($12 million cap hit this year) and everyone who was telling us for years that Revis was overrated or who was telling us that flashy free agent signings were terrible now thinks that BB is absolutely brilliant.

Personally, I've always believed Revis was a good player and I've been saying that BB needs to go just a little more aggressively for quality talent.  BB seems to have done exactly what I've been hoping he'd do. I have some concerns about Revis's knee, but not as many as I have about Talib's hip, and I think Revis is better than Talib, so I'm pretty happy with the deal.  We saw how important a quality corner like Talib was to the defense and I think Revis is even better than Talib.

I'm fine with the one-year deal, too.  $12 million is a high cap hit in one year (higher I'm sure than Talib's cap hit will be on the Broncos, because Talib's cost is spread out over six years), but the short deal means the Pats preserve flexibility in the future and won't be burdened with high cap costs for a cut or underperforming player if Revis for some reason doesn't pan out. The downside, of course, is that they may not be able to re-sign Revis next year and, even if they do re-sign or franchise tag him, they won't get the benefit of spreading out his cap hit over as many years.  There are trade offs between long and short term deals, but the bottom line is the Pats have a quality corner for next season and that's exactly what they needed, so it's a happy day in Patriots land . . . 

Sections
Shortcuts